[PLUGIN] Intel iGPU SR-IOV - Support Page

On 3/2/2024 at 1:32 AM, alturismo said:

you may should take a look t the handbrake log what it says, if its really a hardware issue for handbrake or some missing setting for your encode

i can confirm, plugin works nice here (incl. handbrake), thanks @giganode

image.thumb.png.92bfe9b63f20f0df80bdfdefaba8232d.png

as soon other hardware encoders work it should also work for handbrake, sample, set a fixed fps for your output or or or ...

Hello, could you please provide steps for making Parsec working like your screenshot? I tried many times, but not working.

Are you connecting your physical monitor with an usb to hdmi adapter to get Parsec working?

Thanks in advance.

6 hours ago, likeUnraid said:

Hello, could you please provide steps for making Parsec working like your screenshot? I tried many times, but not working.

when i remember correctly, nothing special besides installing the one really working intel gpu driver ...

6 hours ago, likeUnraid said:

Are you connecting your physical monitor with an usb to hdmi adapter to get Parsec working?

nope ... i tested with a Monitor setup in the beginning when nothing was working properly, but in the end its been the driver ...

so it works without any attached monitors, meanwhile i have a kvm attached which also emulates a moni on the hdmi port, but worked before too ... so thats not the showrunner.

On 3/29/2024 at 3:57 PM, giganode said:

For now you can ignore the VFIO_MAP_DMA errors.

Is the vm running 24/7?

Please post Diagnostics.

VM is running 24/7. For what it's worth I think I solved the issue. I was running dual graphics. The iGPU through the plugin and VNC. I removed the VNC and only RDP into the VM and the Unraid Server has been stable now. The VM has been running 24/7 and the Unraid Server has been online with no crash for almost 5 days now where as when I was running the iGPU plugin and VNC it was crashing about once every 24 hours or so.

• Like 1
On 3/31/2024 at 5:08 PM, NoobSpy said:

Hi, Simple question. With my i5-12400 if I install this I wont need my GPU anymore ever as long I have the CPU or higher for VM use?

You can use the iGPUs resources for VMs while unraid is also still able to use them, yes. 

Just connect via a service like sunshine/moonlight, parsec, rdp or vnc. If you need a physical monitor use an usb to hdmi dongle.

But keep in mind, this plugin relies on a repo which seems to be no longer maintained.

So don't just sell your gpu atm 😄

Once there is more information about the future of this plugin, it will be posted here.

• Like 1
On 4/7/2024 at 10:45 AM, giganode said:

You can use the iGPUs resources for VMs while unraid is also still able to use them, yes. 

Just connect via a service like sunshine/moonlight, parsec, rdp or vnc. If you need a physical monitor use an usb to hdmi dongle.

But keep in mind, this plugin relies on a repo which seems to be no longer maintained.

So don't just sell your gpu atm 😄

Once there is more information about the future of this plugin, it will be posted here.

TYVM for the explanation 😄

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently attempting to set up a VM running Debian 12 (kernel 6.1.0) while using SR-IOV to give the VM possibilities for hardware acceleration.

However, "intel_gpu_top" keeps spitting out the following error:

"No device filter specified and no discrete/integrated i915 devices found"

When checking the output of "lspci", I clearly see the integrated UHD Graphics 730 there. So at least it's picked up in the VM. The only thing I've done is replaced the va-driver with the non-free version inside the VM, nothing else.

But I've hit kind of a dead end on the troubleshooting, no clue what I should do next to possibly move forward. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'm currently attempting to set up a VM running Debian 12 (kernel 6.1.0) while using SR-IOV to give the VM possibilities for hardware acceleration.

However, "intel_gpu_top" keeps spitting out the following error:
"No device filter specified and no discrete/integrated i915 devices found"

When checking the output of "lspci", I clearly see the integrated UHD Graphics 730 there. So at least it's picked up in the VM. The only thing I've done is replaced the va-driver with the non-free version inside the VM, nothing else.

But I've hit kind of a dead end on the troubleshooting, no clue what I should do next to possibly move forward. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

When using sriov try the following command

intel_gpu_top -d sriov

36 minutes ago, giganode said:

When using sriov try the following command

intel_gpu_top -d sriov

Okay, well that got me a new error.

No filter class matching [sriov]
Requested device sriov not found!

To add some detail: I'm adding the VF as a second graphics card, while leaving VNC as the primary one. This is done so I can still access the machine.

I'm certain the plugin and the virtualization work with my 12th gen. As in Windows, with the same type of setup (VNC as 1st + VF as 2nd), it works no problem.

1 hour ago, Ocelot8391 said:

Okay, well that got me a new error.

No filter class matching [sriov]
Requested device sriov not found!

To add some detail: I'm adding the VF as a second graphics card, while leaving VNC as the primary one. This is done so I can still access the machine.

I'm certain the plugin and the virtualization work with my 12th gen. As in Windows, with the same type of setup (VNC as 1st + VF as 2nd), it works no problem.

Please post Diagnostics.

On 4/7/2024 at 1:45 AM, giganode said:

The repo for the SR-IOV DKMS module itself (which is the core functionality of this plugin) is still maintained; it was last updated 3 days ago: https://github.com/strongtz/i915-sriov-dkms

Last I heard, Intel were working on mainlining SR-IOV support, but they had to delay it due to higher priority kernel work. I haven't seen any recent updates though, so I'm not sure if they still plan to do it. Here's the thread: https://github.com/intel/linux-intel-lts/issues/33

Edited by Daniel15
8 hours ago, Daniel15 said:

The repo for the SR-IOV DKMS module itself (which is the core functionality of this plugin) is still maintained; it was last updated 3 days ago: https://github.com/strongtz/i915-sriov-dkms

This is not entirely true, the maintainer has no compatible hardware anymore and moved on however it is true that he still maintains the repo but relies completely on Pull Requests (I've already made an issue for that here).

8 hours ago, Daniel15 said:

Last I heard, Intel were working on mainlining SR-IOV support, but they had to delay it due to higher priority kernel work. I haven't seen any recent updates though, so I'm not sure if they still plan to do it. Here's the thread: https://github.com/intel/linux-intel-lts/issues/33

Sure but that will take some significant amount of time (your linked issue was created 2022), you can read also more about that into my linked issue and as you've already wrote, they delayed it.

I only took a quick look what changes would be needed to make it compatible and from what I saw that involves a significant amount of changes.

Maybe someone will create a PR and make it compatible with Kernel 6.7+ to make it usable on newer version Unraid versions (6.13.x) which will definitely ship with a up to date Kernel.

So to speak I don't think that SR-IOV will be supported on Unraid 6.13.x, at least not as long as someone creates a PR which fixes the driver module.

Hope that explains the statement from @giganode a bit better.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 2/23/2024 at 7:52 AM, giganode said:

You should also be able to use a real monitor with an hdmi dongle. Still need to verify this though.

I just wanted to confirm that a USB DisplayLink HDMI dongle works with this fork under unRaid 6.12.9.   I use this dongle as recommended in the pre fork thread.  

You'll have a vGPU accelerated HDMI port from your VM.   It's sorcery.   

screenshot.thumb.png.4835bf9cb848e7032bb0a07f12c89021.png

Not entirely related to vGPU and sriov is that "Woieyeks-4K" identified "display."   It is really an inline HDMI EDID emulator that you may not need.

Edited by dimes007
Clarification
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/2/2024 at 6:51 AM, dimes007 said:

I just wanted to confirm that a USB DisplayLink HDMI dongle works with this fork under unRaid 6.12.9.   I use this dongle as recommended in the pre fork thread.  

You'll have a vGPU accelerated HDMI port from your VM.   It's sorcery.   

screenshot.thumb.png.4835bf9cb848e7032bb0a07f12c89021.png

Not entirely related to vGPU and sriov is that "Woieyeks-4K" identified "display."   It is really an inline HDMI EDID emulator that you may not need.

So you are saying that if you connect that dongle to the USB C port through to HDMI you will get signal to the TV?

16 minutes ago, Ivaylo_Hristov said:

So you are saying that if you connect that dongle to the USB C port through to HDMI you will get signal to the TV?

That's what these dongle do 😉

so yes, I can confirm its working, tested here a while ago ... it's not bare metal, but as office usage it's quite fine.

4 hours ago, JannikGHG said:

Hey newbie here, I have been trying to get this plugin to work with my i5 12600k, in the VM its detected fine, but I can't connect via Parsec or Moonlight. 

If you see the GPU in task manager -> performance tab then SR-IOV is working fine and you may need to ask for support in the Parsec or Moonlight communities.

4 hours ago, Daniel15 said:

If you see the GPU in task manager -> performance tab then SR-IOV is working fine and you may need to ask for support in the Parsec or Moonlight communities.

Maybe that's because I have no actual display for parsec/Moonlight to connect to?

14 minutes ago, JannikGHG said:

Maybe that's because I have no actual display for parsec/Moonlight to connect to?

If it needs a real monitor to be connected, it's possible it'd need a dummy HDMI plug. I'm not sure. You could try searching for "headless Moonlight" or "headless Parsec" and see if you find anything. Unfortunately I'm not familiar with this software. Maybe someone else here knows.

10 hours ago, JannikGHG said:

how have you configured the parsec or moonlight for it to work, i have now created the virtual display

just fired it up to take a look, both work, h264 and 265 as streaming options in parsec, nothing special ...

image.thumb.png.652cf51b2b48ad94f821e7c515e05b69.png

image.thumb.png.906b945a1bd7139c8897ae42160ff884.png