Western Digital - Caviar Green 2TB Internal Serial ATA Hard Drive 79.99

johnm160

I'm new here (just look at my post count :) ), But I just bought three of these today at Best Buy (they had 4).

I opened two of them tonight and am running preclean on them.

Reason I'm posting is, I have no idea if this is common knowledge or not, but the stickers on these drives are WD20 EARS 64MB Cache.  Not the model number listed with only 32MB cache.

Oh well, hope this is valuable information.

Not to hijack this much, but my first unRaid has just started!  PC parts should be here Wednesday.

IMG_20111107_210146.jpg

It pains me to pay that much considering how cheap drives were pre-shortage and considering I bought the last Seagate drive in my area $5 cheaper a few days ago for my server.

The 300GB drive on my PC just kept filling up though.  I ordered one for in store pickup last night and have it up and running with no issues.

I'm new here (just look at my post count :) ), But I just bought three of these today at Best Buy (they had 4).

I opened two of them tonight and am running preclean on them.

Reason I'm posting is, I have no idea if this is common knowledge or not, but the stickers on these drives are WD20 EARS 64MB Cache.  Not the model number listed with only 32MB cache.

Oh well, hope this is valuable information.

Not to hijack this much, but my first unRaid has just started!  PC parts should be here Wednesday.

IMG_20111107_210146.jpg

Welcome to the dark side noob ;-)  About time you got your act together and followed in my foot steps :P

Will that affect the already jumpered drives I have from earlier?

Also, which preclear command do I use on it?

On the two I have preclearing right now I used -A w/o any Jumper.  This is the info I ended up with searching the forum last night.  I don't have my PC parts yet so I'm preclearing from console on my HTPC's hardware, so I've not built an array yet.

Says you can ship to a local store, but every time I've tried the past two days, it then says those stores aren't available to be shipped to. Unfortunately the nearest store with this in stock is 3 hours away.

Sucks hard drive prices have basically tripled in the past few weeks.

Will that affect the already jumpered drives I have from earlier?

Also, which preclear command do I use on it?

On the two I have preclearing right now I used -A w/o any Jumper.  This is the info I ended up with searching the forum last night.  I don't have my PC parts yet so I'm preclearing from console on my HTPC's hardware, so I've not built an array yet.

That is correct.  Also, if you have the 4k MBR aligned setting enabled, then preclear will automatically preclear with the -A options even if you don't type it in.

The 4k MBR aligned setting will not affect drives already installed in your server, only new drives that are added.  If you have drives with jumpers already installed, leave the jumpers installed.

Says you can ship to a local store, but every time I've tried the past two days, it then says those stores aren't available to be shipped to. Unfortunately the nearest store with this in stock is 3 hours away.

Sucks hard drive prices have basically tripled in the past few weeks.

I chased these (from my keyboard) for a 90 mile radius and only managed to get two.  I placed 6 orders and 4 of them came back "Not available at {store}".  Keep checking, tho.  One of the ones I snagged came from a store that was sold out the first time I looked.  I assume someone either canceled their order or didn't pick it up before the deadline.  I was going to mention the EARS they had available for shipping for $92.99 but it's sold out now.  I have one of those that's been stuck at "In process" for 2 days.  Hopefully the order will get filled.  That one will fill my last open port and should hold me until drive prices come back down in a year or so.

Woo hoo!  Deal's over but I managed to snag the last one to fill my array.  A nearby store flipped to available Friday night but was "unable" to fill my order Saturday morning.  Then they magically went back to "available" after the price went up Saturday night.  Got them to honor the original price since my order was still, technically, open.  What a PITA.  Got a call from my credit card's fraud division because of all the holds from orders that went unfilled.

I still have an order for an EARS that's been "in progress" since 11/7 so maybe I'll end up with a spare on the shelf.

Edited to add:  BTW, if you have any orders that are still open, check the local store stock and see if they've put any out on the shelves this week.  If they have, call the 888 number in your "Item not found at the store" email and ask them to resubmit your order to the store at the original $79.99 price.

Thanks for the preclear tips guys...

Just got mine in the server, they gave me an EARSX  :D :D

Preclearing now...  Between the price jumps and needing another SATA card for any expansion after this, this will probably be my last drive for a looooooong time..

You can add me to the need a sata card to add more drives camp too. I have enough drives to *hopefully* last me for close to a year but only enough sata ports for about half of that.  :P