Array Won't Stop of Shutdown

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I remember correctly, new parity build had problems. And emulated disk1 was unmountable. And physical disk1 is also unmountable with UD. And xfs repair fails with either.

New parity was replaced with original parity, so the array cannot be started due to parity change with invalid disk1.

The idea with this was to New Config/Trust Parity with the original parity, then disable disk1 to see if it can be emulated from original parity.

Does this sound right?

1 hour ago, trurl said:

New parity was replaced with original parity, so the array cannot be started due to parity change with invalid disk1.

But parity is showing valid in the screenshot posted.

Very difficult to give instructions if the problem is not clear, which disk is old parity?

19 hours ago, Scuba_Steve said:

My 20TB hdd was the original parity before I swapped it to the 18TB hdd, that is when I started having the issues. My array would not start anymore.

It won't let you replace parity with a smaller disk. The only way to make that happen is New Config (resetting disk assignments). Then it will let you rebuild parity onto the smaller replacement. Is that what you did?

2 hours ago, Scuba_Steve said:

disk 1 is unmountable.

33 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

How can you copy the data if the disk is not mounting?

When the OS "mounts" a disk, it accesses the filesystem information in preparation for accessing its files. If a disk is unmountable (can't be successfully mounted), its files cannot be accessed.

19 hours ago, Scuba_Steve said:

My 20TB hdd was the original parity before I swapped it to the 18TB hdd, that is when I started having the issues. My array would not start anymore.

OK, then maybe original 20TB parity can be made to emulate disk1? Were you ever able to  start the array after you did the swap?

2 hours ago, trurl said:

It won't let you replace parity with a smaller disk. The only way to make that happen is New Config (resetting disk assignments). Then it will let you rebuild parity onto the smaller replacement. Is that what you did?

I was advised in a different thread I could swap parity from 20TB to an 18TB for parity since 18TB is the largest drive in my array

Just now, Scuba_Steve said:

I was advised in a different thread I could swap parity from 20TB to an 18TB for parity since 18TB is the largest drive in my array

As far as I know that is fine.  What I do not think you can do is down-size a data disk without going via New Config.

However what you cannot do is get Unraid to revert to the old parity drive without rebuilding its contents OR going via New Config and using the "parity is valid" checkbox

2 hours ago, trurl said:

OK, then maybe original 20TB parity can be made to emulate disk1? Were you ever able to  start the array after you did the swap?

How can I proceed to use my 20TB parity to emulate.  When I connect it, the option to start the array is greyed out and I am not able to start the array.