"SimpleFeatures" - iTunes Server Plugin [SUPPORT]

Will do. Linking the remote is theoretically really simple.

- Make sure server is started;

- start Apple Remote, add itunes library

apple remote then gives you a code.

Now create a file on your pc that is named blabla.remote

contents of the file need to be two lines:

<name of your iphone>

<code that apple remote just gave you>

Now move that file somewhere in the music library path

From that on all should be automatic, issue is it is not but I see some errors in the log, am digging deeper.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got the remote to pair, took a few attempts however. Seemed to be a timing thing. That's something I might be able to solve via the gui, or a potential patch on forked-daapd.

I then got an Airplay app for my Android tab. iPhone remote found it and connected straight away. Music streamed from unRAID to the Airplay device without any configuration (after remove pairing).

:)  I'd call that moderate success!

speeding ant- does your last post regarding the fact that it will serve movies/tvshows/music from one directory mean if i combine all into a single directory, this would work?

I'm cautious to try and upgrade to the beta version as my current version is just so damn stable.  But if that statement above is correct, that may force me to do the upgrade.

Technically it should. You can also use multiple directories. This version is much faster, but ive not tested video yet.

Thanks!  I will have to give this a shot.

I got the remote to pair, took a few attempts however. Seemed to be a timing thing. That's something I might be able to solve via the gui, or a potential patch on forked-daapd.

I then got an Airplay app for my Android tab. iPhone remote found it and connected straight away. Music streamed from unRAID to the Airplay device without any configuration (after remove pairing).

:)  I'd call that moderate success!

GREAT !!!!!  I'll try again !

Just succeeded in pairing, first time. What I did this time was wait for the initial scan to be completed.

I am not succeeding yet in having the airplay speakers play. Forked is doing something with them since when I try to play thru them (remote thinks it is doing it also, no errors, just no sound) it is not possible for another application to use them, itunes will tell me the airplay speakers forked is trying to play to are "used by another application".

In other words: remote working, forked daapd is finding the airplay speakers. Only one step more !

A nice surprise also is that it is actually quicker to search in the library then thru itunes !

Thanks speeding ant - this is exactly what I've been looking for. Will save me from running the old, buggy, resource-hog mt-daapd on my old mac os x server.

except...

Does anyone know how to get bonjour auto-discovery (needed for my Roku Soundbridge, and other clients, to find the server) to work over a different subnet?

I'm guessing it uses some kind of multicast, which my router can/does forward. But even with the server running the Roku (and iTunes) don't see the library if they're on another subnet.

Any ideas?

If I buy music from iTunes or copy a CD does it go to the library that is being shared out or some place else?  What are the benifits and drawbacks using this?

If your iTunes library points to unRAID, where this iTunes Server is told to share from, then any new music added will show up on the shared library.

From my point of view, it's a shared library to you get the benifits of multiple clients able to see the same library. It also means you potentially don't need iTunes to manage your music. Drawbacks are that if you have a large library it can take a while to connect on some clients.

Thanks speeding ant - this is exactly what I've been looking for. Will save me from running the old, buggy, resource-hog mt-daapd on my old mac os x server.

except...

Does anyone know how to get bonjour auto-discovery (needed for my Roku Soundbridge, and other clients, to find the server) to work over a different subnet?

I'm guessing it uses some kind of multicast, which my router can/does forward. But even with the server running the Roku (and iTunes) don't see the library if they're on another subnet.

Any ideas?

This would have something to do with the Avahi library (open source Bonjour). Using Avahi over multiple subnets should be possible.

Any ideas?

At the very least you'd need to forward port 3689 between subnets (or some other port if you've customised the server's settings). 

(Disclaimer...  I have not yet tried this with multiple subnets myself.)

Curious to hear if someone has been able to get it to work ?  I basically can access my itunes library without issues, can select songs, select speakers but no sound plays... Just now I tried with a freshly reset system and speakers, only thing I got out of the speakers was a kind of static screech..

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

first thanks for this plugin, I was praying for it for quite some time. I'm testing it and I found 2 little problems:

1) The scanner is not so great (it has problem finding some cd genre for me) but it's possible in forked-daapd to use the iTunes metadata (you could put it accessible through the GUI rather than in the config file)

2) I have a problem seeing the shared library with my iPhone. It appears perfectly in iTunes on my computers, I can use the remote app in iOS, but I don't know why, the shared library doesn't appear in my shared libraries on the Music app on iOS. Am I the only one?

I think I have noticed a small but in the itunes plugin, it concerns the Enable/Disable function.

I have the consistent behaviour that setting to disable and applying does not  stop all running processes, as a result the array will not go offline when you ask it to and will remain "hanging".

It is easy to solve: If I telnet into the system and do a "ps -elf | grep forked" it will show one or two processes still running, they need a kill -9 to end (regular kill will not work), when closed the array will also shut down.

I -guess- the disable gives a clean kill on the processes, it would be worthwhile (allthough maybe a bit dirty) to give a 30 sec pause after the clean kill and then give a kill -9 to make sure nothingis left running..

And that by the way also gives me a nice idea on another simplefeatures plugin: what about an active stream kind of implementation of PS ?  PS in the guy with the possibility to kill off specific processes (nice checkbox for level of kill and  stuff.)

Hi speeding_ant I'm having a problem with getting the service started.

I'm running 5.0-beta14 and reading previous posts I've tried enabling AFP with no success.

Any chance you could have a look at the logs and let me know where things are going wrong. Really like to get this service up running been looking for something like this for a while, nice work :)

Start: May 8, 2012 10:12:28 PM

SERVICE: enable

MUSICDIR: /mnt/user/media/music

NAME: %h Media

DATADIR: /mnt/cache/.iTunes_Server/songs3.db

LOGLEVEL: log

RUNAS: daapd

CMD: sed -i -e '/^loglevel/cloglevel = "log"' /boot/config/plugins/sf_itunesserver/forked-daapd.conf

Results:

CMD: sed -i -e '/^directories/cdirectories = { "/mnt/user/media/music" }' /boot/config/plugins/sf_itunesserver/forked-daapd.conf

Results:

CMD: sed -i -e '/^name/c ame = "%h Media"' /boot/config/plugins/sf_itunesserver/forked-daapd.conf

Results:

CMD: sed -i -e '/^db_path/cdb_path = "/mnt/cache/.iTunes_Server/songs3.db"' /boot/config/plugins/sf_itunesserver/forked-daapd.conf

Results:

Results:

CMD: chmod -R 0777 "/mnt/cache/.iTunes_Server"

Results:

CMD: sed -i -e '/^loglevel/cloglevel = "log"' /boot/config/plugins/sf_itunesserver/forked-daapd.conf

Results:

CMD: sed -i -e '/^directories/cdirectories = { "/mnt/user/media/music" }' /boot/config/plugins/sf_itunesserver/forked-daapd.conf

Results:

CMD: sed -i -e '/^name/c ame = "%h Media"' /boot/config/plugins/sf_itunesserver/forked-daapd.conf

Results:

CMD: sed -i -e '/^db_path/cdb_path = "/mnt/cache/.iTunes_Server/songs3.db"' /boot/config/plugins/sf_itunesserver/forked-daapd.conf

Results:

Results:

Results:

CMD: /etc/rc.d/rc.forked-daapd stop

Results: Stopping RSP and DAAP media server: Not running!

CMD: /etc/rc.d/rc.avahidaemon start

Results: Starting Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD Daemon: /usr/sbin/avahi-daemon -D

CMD: /etc/rc.d/rc.forked-daapd start

Results: forked-daapd.

End: May 8, 2012 10:12:49 PM

[2012-05-08 22:12:49] main: Forked Media Server Version 0.19 taking off

[2012-05-08 22:12:49] main: mDNS init

[2012-05-08 22:12:49] mdns: Avahi state change: Client connecting

[2012-05-08 22:12:50] mdns: Failed to create service browser: Bad state

[2012-05-08 22:12:50] player: Could not add mDNS browser for AirTunes devices

[2012-05-08 22:12:50] main: Player thread failed to start

[2012-05-08 22:12:50] main: File scanner deinit

[2012-05-08 22:12:50] main: Database deinit

[2012-05-08 22:12:50] main: mDNS deinit

[2012-05-08 22:12:50] main: Exiting.

Still no joy mate :( my skills are limited but if there is anything I can do just say the word.

Start: May 8, 2012 10:51:58 PM

SERVICE: enable

MUSICDIR: /mnt/user/media/music

NAME: %h Media

DATADIR: /mnt/cache/.iTunes_Server/songs3.db

LOGLEVEL: log

RUNAS: daapd

Results:

Results:

Results:

Results:

Results:

Results:

Results:

Results:

Results:

Results:

Results:

Results:

CMD: /etc/rc.d/rc.forked-daapd stop

Results: Stopping RSP and DAAP media server: Not running!

CMD: /etc/rc.d/rc.avahidaemon start

Results: Starting Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD Daemon: /usr/sbin/avahi-daemon -D

CMD: /etc/rc.d/rc.forked-daapd start

Results: forked-daapd.

End: May 8, 2012 10:52:19 PM

[2012-05-08 22:52:19] main: Forked Media Server Version 0.19 taking off

[2012-05-08 22:52:19] main: mDNS init

[2012-05-08 22:52:19] mdns: Avahi state change: Client connecting

[2012-05-08 22:52:19] mdns: Failed to create service browser: Bad state

[2012-05-08 22:52:19] player: Could not add mDNS browser for AirTunes devices

[2012-05-08 22:52:19] main: Player thread failed to start

[2012-05-08 22:52:19] main: File scanner deinit

[2012-05-08 22:52:20] main: Database deinit

[2012-05-08 22:52:20] main: mDNS deinit

[2012-05-08 22:52:20] main: Exiting.

Well at the mo I have sabnzbd,sick beard and snap enabled. I have tried with sab and sick disabled, I will also try with snap taken out of go script.

Here is a copy my go

#!/bin/bash

# Start the Management Utility

/usr/local/sbin/emhttp &

/boot/unmenu/uu

cd /boot/packages && find . -name '*.auto_install' -type f -print | sort | xargs -n1 sh -c

unraid_notify start

/boot/config/plugins/snap/snap.sh -b

Sure no worries, here it is :

general {

# Username

uid = "daapd"

logfile = "/var/log/forked-daapd/forked-daapd.log"

# Database location

db_path = "/mnt/cache/.iTunes_Server/songs3.db"

# Available levels: fatal, log, warning, info, debug, spam

loglevel = "log"

# Admin password for the non-existent web interface

admin_password = "unused"

# Enable/disable IPv6

ipv6 = no

}

library {

# Name of the library as displayed by the clients

# %h: hostname, %v: version

name = "%h Media"

# TCP port to listen on. Default port is 3689 (daap)

port = 3689

# Password for the library. Optional.

# password = ""

# Directories to index

directories = { "/mnt/user/media/music" }

# Directories containing compilations

# Matches anywhere in the path (not a regexp, though)

# compilations = { "/compilations/" }

# Should iTunes metadata override ours?

#itunes_overrides = true

# Formats: mp4a, mp4v, mpeg, alac, flac, mpc, ogg, wma, wmal, wmav, aif, wav

# Formats that should never be transcoded

# no_transcode = { "alac", "mp4a" }

# Formats that should always be transcoded

# force_transcode = { "ogg", "flac" }

}

audio {

# AirTunes name - used in the speaker list in Remote

nickname = "%h"

# Audio device name for local audio output

# card = "default"

# Mixer channel to use for volume control - ALSA/Linux only

# If not set, PCM will be used if available, otherwise Master.

# mixer = ""

}

#apex "ApEx" {

# AirTunes password

# password = "s1kr3t"

#}

I've just rebooted again with snap removed from go script, no luck.

I then went ahead and removed all except Notifications, sf_itunesserver, simplefeatures_itunesserver.plg from the plugins folder now I can't seem to get back to webgui :/