Experimental fix/test for mpt2sas controllers (LSI)

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tom... Sorry for that last post... the system still had the powerdown-1.02, & a s3 sleep script running :-[

I didn't loose the web interface, or have to force a shut down this time...

The Call Trace remains...

could you list how to reproduce this error?

Started a NOCORRECT parity check.

Both of my systems exhibit the same behavior.

Both are running w/no addons. (now)

Configs for both systems are in my sig.

Syslogs attached.

syslog-LOGO.zip

syslog-THOR.zip

• 2 weeks later...

I setup a test server running v5.0-rc6-r8168-test2.  Only plugin is unmenu.  I have a 3TB parity and 2TB data disk.  The 3TB disk does not spin down (constant green activity LED).  The 2 disks are in a 5-in-3 cage and I've moved the 3TB to several different slots and had the same result...no spin down.  Both drives are using interfacing via a Super Micro AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 controller.  2TB spins down fine.  Any suggestions?

The specs for this rig are in my signature...it's the test server.  syslog and smart report for subject server/drive are attached.

syslog-2012-08-26.txt

Smart_report.txt

I setup a test server running v5.0-rc6-r8168-test2.  Only plugin is unmenu.  I have a 3TB parity and 2TB data disk.  The 3TB disk does not spin down (constant green activity LED).  The 2 disks are in a 5-in-3 cage and I've moved the 3TB to several different slots and had the same result...no spin down.  Both drives are using interfacing via a Super Micro AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 controller.  2TB spins down fine.  Any suggestions?

The specs for this rig are in my signature...it's the test server.  syslog and smart report for subject server/drive are attached.

Be careful as there are several reports that the lights on drive cages are not accurate or right, depending on your viewpoint!  I have two Seagate 3TB drives in Monoprice 'hot swap' bays and the lights are always on-- yet the drives shut down! 

Be careful as there are several reports that the lights on drive cages are not accurate or right, depending on your viewpoint!  I have two Seagate 3TB drives in Monoprice 'hot swap' bays and the lights are always on-- yet the drives shut down!

ok, if this is the case, do I trust the unRAID web-interface which has a blinking green status (spun-down) for the 3TB drive versus the drive cage LED (solid green)?  I'll search for reports of inaccurate drive cage disk status LEDs, specifically for the Super Micro CSE-M35T-1B.

ok, if this is the case, do I trust the unRAID web-interface which has a blinking green status (spun-down) for the 3TB drive versus the drive cage LED (solid green)?

If you have halfway decent hearing, I'd trust my ears. Try an old mechanics trick, by holding a solid bar to the face of the tray and the bones near your ear, you should be able to hear the motor spin up the drive quite clearly. Listen to the cage as you access a supposedly spun down drive and see if you hear it spin up. Noisy fans may make it a little tougher to hear, but you should be able to hear something. Also, the temperature of a spun down drive should be lower than an active drive.

ok, if this is the case, do I trust the unRAID web-interface which has a blinking green status (spun-down) for the 3TB drive versus the drive cage LED (solid green)?  I'll search for reports of inaccurate drive cage disk status LEDs, specifically for the Super Micro CSE-M35T-1B.

Yes, I would trust the interface more than the drive cage lights.  You can use the metal rod technique of the previous poster.  You could also access the  spundown drive to play a file as it takes a few seconds for a spundown drive to spin up.  Then do the same for a different file after this first test while the drive is still spun up.   

By the way, you can spin the drives up and down using the Simple Features interface and it would not surprise me that the you can do so on the standard interface.  (It is the up or down arrows under the "Device" heading on the Main page.)

I had a solid red light problem with my Seagate 3TB and my "Icy Dock 5 in 3".  Upgrading the firmware of the drive fixed the problem.

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=21061.msg187057#msg187057

Drew

Thank you drew.c!  This was the problem.  I found a similar post (prior to your reply)  http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=22201.0

Upgrading the Seagate ST3000DM001-9YN166 parity drive firmware from CC46 to CC4H solved the LED problem on the CSE-M35T cage!  I believe the LED was operating in "inverse" mode, meaning that the LED was solid when the drive was inactive and off when the drive was active, upgrading the drive firmware reversed the LED behavior to normal.

(Thanks also to Frank1940 and jonathanm for idea of using the metal bar to "listen", however there are so many fans running in the room where the test server is located, I couldn't hear the subtle noise of the motor....great idea however.)

Since this topic did not specifically apply to 5.0-rc6-r8168-test2, but was resolved with a drive firmware update, the moderators might want to move it to another area.

Sorry to bother, But are we waiting for another Kernel again?

We were on a role there for a while and now it feels like we are on the back burner.... I could be wrong just how I feel.

Thank you

I believe that is the case.  In one of the threads in the test2 release was being discussed, the 'fix' that worked to repair the last major obstacle in the release of version 5 was to be included in the 3.6 release of the kernel.    Of course, this was not actually posted by Tom but was inferred from some of his comments and another user's comment on the status of the Linux kernel releases. 

Is there somewhere to get a list of outstanding bugs that need to be over come before 5 final?

As you should have realized by now, such a list does not exist anywhere on the Internet.  As far as I know from my reading of the posts on this site, there are no major issues left in the latest release candidate (V5.0-rc6-r8168-test2).  The rc was released on July 26th.  You can read the posts after that date if you want to see if there might be some minor thing that would cause you not to want to update.  But the only things that I have have seen have been cockpit errors...

Which brings up a second point. (And this is not directed only at you!)  If  you have a working mature unRAID system running on ver4.X, why are considering upgrading?  You should be asking yourself that before you even consider the upgrade path.  If there is some feature that you need, great, go to it.  If it is just because it is there and your system is critical to your lifestyle (or business) or you don't have the time to deal with minor hassles, maybe you should not upgrade at all!  There is an old adage, the version X.0 of any software is merely the last beta and the last group of beta testers are the early adapters! 

Is there somewhere to get a list of outstanding bugs that need to be over come before 5 final?

As you should have realized by now, such a list does not exist anywhere on the Internet.  As far as I know from my reading of the posts on this site, there are no major issues left in the latest release candidate (V5.0-rc6-r8168-test2).  The rc was released on July 26th.  You can read the posts after that date if you want to see if there might be some minor thing that would cause you not to want to update.  But the only things that I have have seen have been cockpit errors...

Which brings up a second point. (And this is not directed only at you!)  If  you have a working mature unRAID system running on ver4.X, why are considering upgrading?  You should be asking yourself that before you even consider the upgrade path.  If there is some feature that you need, great, go to it.  If it is just because it is there and your system is critical to your lifestyle (or business) or you don't have the time to deal with minor hassles, maybe you should not upgrade at all!  There is an old adage, the version X.0 of any software is merely the last beta and the last group of beta testers are the early adapters!

+1

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

• 2 weeks later...