unRAID Server Release 5.0-rc10 Available

limetech

Well despite earlier enthusiasm 10 will not boot.  I can't provide a log because it doesn't get past the bootloader (the SYSLINUX...)

<snip>

I've been fighting exactly this all morning. Took the stick out, Windows says it's OK. Re-copied bzroot etc. using Teracopy with verify turned on, still the same problem.

What fixed it was copying everything off the USB stick, reformatting it in Windows, copying everything back and running make bootable again.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well despite earlier enthusiasm 10 will not boot.  I can't provide a log because it doesn't get past the bootloader (the SYSLINUX...)

<snip>

I've been fighting exactly this all morning. Took the stick out, Windows says it's OK. Re-copied bzroot etc. using Teracopy with verify turned on, still the same problem.

What fixed it was copying everything off the USB stick, reformatting it in Windows, copying everything back and running make bootable again.

I cant recall the last time I used "make_bootable.bat" from the 5.0 source (I will guess around one of the earlier/mid RC's) the "ldlinux.sys" was 14 KB in size. Due to this post here, I tested on a spare key and the "ldlinux.sys" is 32 KB in size with 5.0RC10 (assuming this is the same with RC9/a as the kernel version changed?).

So it may be an imperative step to re-run "make_bootable.bat" as of 5.0RC9 on, but Tom would have to confirm that. I wonder if this would affect any performance or just strict booting.

Anyone know what these log entries mean?  I've not seen them before this version.

Jan 12 13:10:55 MediaServer emhttp: title not found

Jan 12 13:14:29 MediaServer emhttp: title not found

Jan 12 13:16:22 MediaServer emhttp: title not found

Jan 12 13:34:07 MediaServer emhttp: title not found

Jan 12 13:49:17 MediaServer emhttp: title not found

OK, I'm up and running, but this was the most painful upgrade yet for me (keeping in mind that all other upgrades from 4.7 to each 5.0 RC's for me have been straight forward).

Two issues:

1) As per others, I had to run the "make_bootable.bat" on a Windows PC against the flash drive as otherwise it hung with:

jWHx4.gif

I've never had to do that before when upgrading, including 5.0RC9.

2) Unraid wouldn't see all my drives, and I noticed

NAS kernel: md: too many devices

errors in the syslog. Turns out that in my config folder I had my old plus key in a file called

Plus.key.BAK

which I hadn't bothered removing when I upgraded to a pro licence (

Pro.key

was there too). Maybe the licence check code changed in this release? Anyway, I deleted the renamed Plus.key (which I believe the upgrade instructions tell you to, I was just being lazy because the rename seemed to cause no problems) and all seems OK now.

The only issue I've seen is with the change permissions script.

I have crashplan installed on my cache drive in a .permanent subdirectory.  The change permissions script changes all files to 666, even ones that were 777 previously.  This means that crashplan will not run because it is no longer executable.

So for anyone else to fix it go to your install area, then:

crashplan/bin and chmod 777 *

crashplan/jre/bin and chmod 777 *

and it will work again.

dave

I'm having a problem when writing files to a share.  The error messages include:  Network Error  There is a problem accessing \\server\share  Make sure you are connected to the network and try again.  It appears the network connection fails to the 5.0-rc10 server in the middle of a file transfer, however if I try again the file transfer again it will complete.  Also, clicking "Try Again" doesn't allow the file write operation to complete/continue, but if I click "Cancel" and try the same file again it works.  I've also noticed that this issue keeps randomly occurring.

This issue was also present in 5.0-rc8a after the "sysctl vm.highmem_is_dirtyable=1" command workaround was found for the slow write speed, I just didn't have time to post.  I'm still using the "sysctl vm.highmem_is_dirtyable=1" command in my go script to maintain a decent write speed to the array.

I've attached a screenshot of the error messages received as well as the syslog.

Edit:  I'm wondering if this problem is related:  http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=24281.0

NetworkError_5.0-rc10.png.68cf1a1a2221d99d558de633e7202310.png

syslog-2013-01-12.txt

<snip>

I cant recall the last time I used "make_bootable.bat" from the 5.0 source (I will guess around one of the earlier/mid RC's) the "ldlinux.sys" was 14 KB in size. Due to this post here, I tested on a spare key and the "ldlinux.sys" is 32 KB in size with 5.0RC10 (assuming this is the same with RC9/a as the kernel version changed?).

So it may be an imperative step to re-run "make_bootable.bat" as of 5.0RC9 on, but Tom would have to confirm that. I wonder if this would affect any performance or just strict booting.

OH YEAH!  I updated syslinux to 4.03 as part of project to make an OSX version of 'make_bootable'.  This happend with -rc9.  Sorry, forgot to put in the release notes and I never noticed any issues with it.  Maybe with some flash devices it might be necessary to re-run it?  Seems odd that would be the case.

Anyone know what these log entries mean?  I've not seen them before this version.

Jan 12 13:10:55 MediaServer emhttp: title not found

Jan 12 13:14:29 MediaServer emhttp: title not found

Jan 12 13:16:22 MediaServer emhttp: title not found

Jan 12 13:34:07 MediaServer emhttp: title not found

Jan 12 13:49:17 MediaServer emhttp: title not found

Harmless bug, I'll fix for 'final'.

OK, I'm up and running, but this was the most painful upgrade yet for me (keeping in mind that all other upgrades from 4.7 to each 5.0 RC's for me have been straight forward).

Two issues:

1) As per others, I had to run the "make_bootable.bat" on a Windows PC against the flash drive as otherwise it hung with:

jWHx4.gif

I've never had to do that before when upgrading, including 5.0RC9.

Sorry about that, see my previous post, I upgraded syslinux and apparently this is causing problems for some users, I will update the release notes.

2) Unraid wouldn't see all my drives, and I noticed

NAS kernel: md: too many devices

errors in the syslog. Turns out that in my config folder I had my old plus key in a file called

Plus.key.BAK

which I hadn't bothered removing when I upgraded to a pro licence (

Pro.key

was there too). Maybe the licence check code changed in this release? Anyway, I deleted the renamed Plus.key (which I believe the upgrade instructions tell you to, I was just being lazy because the rename seemed to cause no problems) and all seems OK now.

It  just looks for the first file with ".key" in it.  The order in which the files is searched is arbitrary.  Something else I've been meaning to fix, which I'll do for 'final'.

It  just looks for the first file with ".key" in it.  The order in which the files is searched is arbitrary.  Something else I've been meaning to fix, which I'll do for 'final'.

No problem, and I'm pretty sure the docs say you should remove the old file, I just happened to get away with it up to now.  ;D If the licence checking code hasn't changed, then likely by reformatting and rewriting the files I changed the arbitrary order the the directory listing was served up, which happened to now put the old key file before the new. Anyway, I just wanted to document my issues to potentially help others, especially as a forum search didn't return anything useful for the "too many devices" error.

Just noticed that with the new o+rw permissions now the included ftp server works "out-of-box" what is in part good... but... remember that ftp gives access to all data on the server... and this may be a security problem in cases that a specific user is supposed to access only specific shares etc... as such user using ftp with his login details will have whole access to all data on the server. Think it may be a bad idea to leave this as default for the final version... maybe better idea to disable ftp by default? (but make it easy to be enabled for users that want it)

Implementing permissions on FTP would be perfect for sure but guess it would require a lot more work for Tom and probably not for an RC version... that's why I suggested just disabling FTP by default instead.

Just noticed that with the new o+rw permissions now the included ftp server works "out-of-box" what is in part good... but... remember that ftp gives access to all data on the server... and this may be a security problem in cases that a specific user is supposed to access only specific shares etc... as such user using ftp with his login details will have whole access to all data on the server. Think it may be a bad idea to leave this as default for the final version... maybe better idea to disable ftp by default? (but make it easy to be enabled for users that want it)

Implementing permissions on FTP would be perfect for sure but guess it would require a lot more work for Tom and probably not for an RC version... that's why I suggested just disabling FTP by default instead.

Very good point.  I'll fix that for final.

On RC9a

Sample:

1) 9-24MB writing from one data drive to another, many 1+GB files

2) 37-42MB writing from one data drive to another, 1 file 6+GB

3) 38-53MB writing from client to cache drive, 100 files totaling 500+ MB

4) 71-98MB writing from client to cache drive, 1 file 6+GB

RC10

Sample:

1) 46MB writing from one data drive to another, many 1+GB files

2) 37MB writing from one data drive to another, 1 file 9GB in size

3) 67-83MB writing from client to cache drive, 23 files totaling 350+ MB

4) 75-91MB writing from client to cache drive, 1 file 6+GB

SMB feels snap'er

I'm seeing over 90MB/sec during a parity check on my (slow-ass) HP Microserver, which is much higher than I've ever seen.

Unfortunately, the parity check happened because the second boot (after re-enabling all the add-ons) locked up the machine completely. It seems to be working well now, apart from the standard web interface and the unmenu web interface locking up every time -- it won't auto-refresh, I have to close the page and open it up again. This appears to only be a problem in Chrome, it works in Firefox.

The nzbget and Transmission web interfaces both refresh correctly. It may be a problem with this latest version of Chrome that came out today (v.24).

Sorry, I don't have comparisons from rc8a from which I have upgraded from.

Here are the stats I have right now:

Copy from unRAID: 

61 mb/s  <<< this is a new high as I use to get 45-50 mb/s never over 50 mb/s

Copy to unRAID:

Top 29mb/s

Low 20 mb/s  <<< This is an improvement as I use to see as low as 15mb/s on rc8a

Please note, Then I ran this test.  I started the copy (after the copy from test) and it took about a minute to actually start copying the file.  The server was acting like it

was frozen.  and then during the first half a gig it was in the kb range then slowly recovered as the copy continued.  I don't know if this is a problem or the server is

just doing some stuff in preparation to take the file.  I will not unRAID NEVER did this before.  I will keep an eye on this and run more tests.

Parity Check

High: 120 mb/s

Low:  84 mb/s

I don't have realtek NIC but using a Tigon3 driver. (running an HP xw4300 currently)

OH YEAH!  I updated syslinux to 4.03 as part of project to make an OSX version of 'make_bootable'.  This happend with -rc9.  Sorry, forgot to put in the release notes and I never noticed any issues with it.  Maybe with some flash devices it might be necessary to re-run it?  Seems odd that would be the case.

Phew.  Was in a bit of a panic last night wondering WTF was happening.  Get up this morning to see it's not just me.  :)

I tried my Sandisk Cruzer but since we got that working I didn't try my HP device.  I will test that device (without running make_bootable/ copying ldlinux.sys) to see if it also has issues.

Made the switch to rc10 from rc8a, have Realtek 8111E - no problems.  Ran iperf on rc8a before switch: 112MB/s to/from, ran same test with rc10 and got same values.  Client is Xubuntu 12.10 with Realtek 8111DL.  Have not tested NFS or SMB yet.  Ran permissions utility with no issues.  Started non-correcting parity check and got 80-90MB/s at first.  Changed cpu scaling governors for the three cores via telnet to performance and it opened up to ~120 with occasional dips to ~113MB/s.  Parity check in line with what it was for me on rc8a.  No addons installed for these tests other than unmenu.

mike@BLUE:~/Desktop$ iperf -c 192.168.150.45 -f M -i 1 -p 5001 -r
------------------------------------------------------------
Server listening on TCP port 5001
TCP window size: 0.08 MByte (default)
Client connecting to 192.168.150.45, TCP port 5001
TCP window size: 0.20 MByte (default)
[  5] local 192.168.150.36 port 59986 connected with 192.168.150.45 port 5001
[ ID] Interval       Transfer     Bandwidth
[  5]  0.0- 1.0 sec   112 MBytes   112 MBytes/sec
[  5]  1.0- 2.0 sec   112 MBytes   112 MBytes/sec
[  5]  2.0- 3.0 sec   112 MBytes   112 MBytes/sec
[  5]  3.0- 4.0 sec   112 MBytes   112 MBytes/sec
[  5]  4.0- 5.0 sec   112 MBytes   112 MBytes/sec
[  5]  5.0- 6.0 sec   112 MBytes   112 MBytes/sec
[  5]  6.0- 7.0 sec   112 MBytes   112 MBytes/sec
[  5]  7.0- 8.0 sec   112 MBytes   112 MBytes/sec
[  5]  8.0- 9.0 sec   112 MBytes   112 MBytes/sec
[  5]  9.0-10.0 sec   112 MBytes   112 MBytes/sec
[  5]  0.0-10.0 sec  1122 MBytes   112 MBytes/sec
[  4] local 192.168.150.36 port 5001 connected with 192.168.150.45 port 53466
[  4]  0.0- 1.0 sec   112 MBytes   112 MBytes/sec
[  4]  1.0- 2.0 sec   112 MBytes   112 MBytes/sec
[  4]  2.0- 3.0 sec   112 MBytes   112 MBytes/sec
[  4]  3.0- 4.0 sec   112 MBytes   112 MBytes/sec
[  4]  4.0- 5.0 sec   112 MBytes   112 MBytes/sec
[  4]  5.0- 6.0 sec   112 MBytes   112 MBytes/sec
[  4]  6.0- 7.0 sec   112 MBytes   112 MBytes/sec
[  4]  7.0- 8.0 sec   112 MBytes   112 MBytes/sec
[  4]  8.0- 9.0 sec   112 MBytes   112 MBytes/sec
[  4]  9.0-10.0 sec   112 MBytes   112 MBytes/sec
[  4]  0.0-10.0 sec  1128 MBytes   112 MBytes/sec
mike@BLUE:~/Desktop$ 

Unraid 5.0-rc10 - Asus M5A78L-MLX Plus - AMD Athlon II X3 450 Rana 3.2GHz - 8GB DDR3 - Antec NEO ECO 620W - Antec Three Hundred Case - 1x Rosewill RC-211 - Parity: 1T Seagate ST1000DM005/HD103SJ - DATA: 3x WD Black 750G - 1x 1T Seagate ST1000DM003 - 1x 500G Seagate ST500DM002, Cache: Intel X25-V SSD 40GB

I have upgrade from 4.7 to RC10 on my HP N40L.  It all went smoothly, and the party check was a lot faster. :)

The only issue I had was all the array shares unmounted or something, but I have a feeling this cause when I was playing with simplefeatures and mount drives.  I had to powerdown via command and that instigated the parity check.  The biggest issue I've had so far (and as yet unsolved) is how to mount a drive outside the array for apps.  Otherwise a fantastic upgrade, everything seems to be working, and I can now take advantage of a few plugins like Plex (If I can get a apps drive up and running).

Great work Tom, keep up the good work. :)

Can you provide the command line to change CPU scaling governors?  I have a dual-core AMD A4-3300 2.5GHz APU.

To view the active governor (if throttling is enabled such as AMD Cool and Quiet)

cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor

Repeat and increment "cpu0" for each core of the processor (cpu0, cpu1 for dual core)

To get a list of available governors:

cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_governors

Mine shows ondemand, performance.  Performance is no throttling - CPU cores run at full speed.  There are other governors and there is the option to enable more, but for the sake of error-free logs during parity checks ondemand or performance would be the recommendation.

To change the governor of a CPU core to "performance":

echo performance > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor

The above command should be repeated for each core (cpu0, cpu1, cpu2, etc) that you want to change the governor for.  To revert back you can either reboot or change "performance" to "ondemand" or whatever your original governor was and repeat the command for each core you want to change.

EDIT:  This post may benefit being moved or copied to another area

Alternatively, you can adjust the ondemand governor thresholds to get better performance without forcing the cores to remain at full speed continuously:

To watch the cpu frequency in real time:

watch -n.1 'cat /proc/cpuinfo|grep MHz'

To view the current value the CPU usage percentage must average (in the sampling period) before the kernel makes a decision to increase the frequency:

cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold 

The default is 80, which means the cpu must average above 80% usage (in the sampling period) before the kernel starts increasing the frequency

To change this CPU usage threshold:

echo 30 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold

This will set the usage to 30%, as an example.  Average CPU usage above 30% will cause the kernel to start increasing frequency

To view the factor that the kernel applies to the scheduling interval to determine how quickly the frequency should be brought back down:

cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/sampling_down_factor

default is 1, which is the fastest (regardless of clock speed) the frequency will be brought back down.

To change the delay (factor) to slow the rate the kernel will bring the frequency back down from top speed:

echo 50 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/sampling_down_factor

Valid values are 1 (default) to 100000.

Watching the cpu frequency in real time while running the tasks you are troubleshooting and changing the values on the fly via telnet is an easy way to tune these numbers and produce a more responsive system without resorting to full heat production and power consumption of running the CPU at full speed continuously.  Note these values will be lost on reboot unless called from a script at boot.

Unraid 5.0-rc10 - Asus M5A78L-MLX Plus - AMD Athlon II X3 450 Rana 3.2GHz - 8GB DDR3 - Antec NEO ECO 620W - Antec Three Hundred Case - 1x Rosewill RC-211 - Parity: 1T Seagate ST1000DM005/HD103SJ - DATA: 3x WD Black 750G - 1x 1T Seagate ST1000DM003 - 1x 500G Seagate ST500DM002, Cache: Intel X25-V SSD 40GB

Very good point.  I'll fix that for final.

Thanks. Btw, thinking a bit more... I think maybe you can actually do better than disable ftp by default... you can actually leave it accessible only for root user by default... surely it's ok that anyone having root login can (and will anyway) access whole server... :)

I have been doing some tests with that and this was the best config I could get for vsftpd to do that:

# vsftpd.conf for unRAID
#
write_enable=YES
connect_from_port_20=YES
#
# No anonymous logins
anonymous_enable=NO
#
# Allow local users to log in.
local_enable=YES
local_umask=0000
local_root=/mnt
check_shell=NO
chroot_local_user=YES
#
# Allow only users on vsftpd.user_list
userlist_enable=YES
userlist_deny=NO
userlist_file=/etc/vsftpd.user_list
#
# Logging to syslog
syslog_enable=YES
log_ftp_protocol=NO
xferlog_enable=NO
#
# Misc.
dirmessage_enable=NO
ls_recurse_enable=YES

then create a file at /etc/vsftpd.user_list with just 'root' (and anyone may easily allow other users to access ftp just by adding allowed usernames there... or even to add other users with different root dirs by just making use of user_config_dir and then overriding root dir for that user...)

Notice that I did changed local_umask so that the ftp will create files/dirs with similar permissions as the ones created by smb, and also enabled chroot_local_user, I don't see why use guest_enable as before to make all files owned by root (even if using more allowed users than just root) as even smb creates files owned by logged users then ftp will just be doing same... anyway if for some reason you think guest_enable is required then you should also look at setting anon_umask or files/dirs will be created with wrong permissions.