Smart TV vs Bluray Player

wisem2540

So I am in the market for a new TV.  I have unraid on a server in the closet.  And have been considering migrating my movie watching to Plex or Serviio, which both can be installed on Smart TVs.  So here is the biggest question.  Why would I spend the money on a smart TV when I could buy a "dumb TV" and hook a nice samsung Bluray player (which should have the same front end as a samsung TV)

Any input is apreciated.

I'd be more inclined to think about whether the smart TV vendor will support it with firmware updates 3, 4, 5 years from now when the various services it can connect to have changed their APIs a few times.  It's quite a headache for equipment suppliers and it's extra work to develop and test the updates from which they are unable to derive a revenue stream.  (Day job - my company is in the connected consumer audio space.)

I'd be more inclined to think about whether the smart TV vendor will support it with firmware updates 3, 4, 5 years from now when the various services it can connect to have changed their APIs a few times.

Very valid point, and applies to the TV and the BD player.  Stick with an open system, running on generic hardware - probably the best future-proofing you can achieve.

Having said that, is it possible to purchase a decent quality TV which isn't 'Smart'?

Having said that, is it possible to purchase a decent quality TV which isn't 'Smart'?

It is, but at some point, many TVs have "smart" features regardless. 

I just purchased a new TV for my bedroom.  It has a set of "smart" apps.  It can have additional ones loaded.  One of the apps will support playing videos through a DLNA server.

A list of files over a DLNA server is VERY crude compared to running an HTPC with xmbc.  There is no way I'd want to use it when the alternative is available.

I did not purchase the TV because of its "smart" features, but because of its price, size, picture, and number of inputs.  About the only "smart" feature used has been the "weather"  (and xbmc does that equally well)

Joe L.

I bought the Samsung UN65ES8000F - 65" Class (64.5" Diag.) LED 8000 Series Smart TV along with the Samsung HT-E6730W 7.1-Channel Wireless 3D Blu-ray Home Theater System w/ VT AMP Technology.

Frankly, these smart devices just don't cut it as well as a good HTPC.

I would not have bought the SMART TV and HT system except that it was at a good price at the end of the year.

I had nothing and I needed something to start with.

I use the TV and HT blu-ray mostly for regular TV viewing and Music.

The cool thing is the HT Blu-Ray player can play from my ipod or a flash key. So I could download TV episodes I missed and play them.

Bad thing is there is some kind of copy protection for blu-ray rips and you may get warnings.

As cool as the smart apps are, they are not up to the quality of XBMC or a nice Windows system.

I ended up purchasing an ASROCK ASRock VISION HT 321B for a Windows HTPC and this weekend scored a ASRock ION 330 HT-PRO for an XBMC solution.  I do like to keep them both online and separate.

I find the SMART interface annoying actually.

I would not have purchased the SMART TV except that it was the best one I saw for the size and price I was willing to pay.

To this day, I'm very happy with the picture.

The SMART HT system was just a quick purchase until I can acquire a new HiFi.

My advice is, if you are able to  maintain an HTPC and find a TV only model you are happy with, go in that direction.

100% agree on anything "smart" that does not present metadata for lcoal content.  That would be pretty much every single "smart" device out there.  However, one thing to consider is that some of those smart devices DO indeed have PLEX as an option (http://www.plexapp.com/connected/index.php)  Specifically LG and Samsung devices.

I can't vouch for how well they work since I haven't tried it, BUT if you are really looking for that set-top-box feel, and you don't mind running plex on your server, this might be an option to avoid a dedicated device.

The one thing I have against solutions like this though, and what you need to research, is that based on my experience with PLEX + ROKU is that too often my videos have to be transcoded (vice direct play like on my Boxee Box) and that makes for slow starting (even with a decent CPU) and even slower scanning (ffw/rwd).  Of course I'm comparing it to something pretty decent.  Something that would be mimicked by a dedicated HTPC.  Then again I have a buddy who played about with XBMC on an HTPC and he swears I will not like moving away from the Boxee Box to an HTPC.  Then again, his HTPC/XBMC experience is now quite dated.

So what's the point ... well ... there are options out there for using a TV as a PLEX client.  It might be better than using a ROKU.  I suggest you at least test out using your PC as a client to be sure you like it before you decide on a TV for that specific functionality.  Regardless, nothing is going to give you that seemless direct play feeling of a client with enough grunt to play anything you throw at it.

Finally, if you really want to play, the Raspberry Pi XBMC (raspbmc) has come a long way and would be my current inexpensive ($50 with PS and case) option if not for my being overly critical because of how well my boxee box streams and seeks. but the RasPi might end up pulling 2nd-tc duty in my SO's "headache room" (don't ask)

Sadly I have found so far that simply is synonymous with less features / less seamless / more clunky / more money ... in some combination.

That is my experience so far too.  If  the "smart" features happen to be supplied with the TV you purchase, and does not add much to the cost,  fine, but I'd not go out of my way to purchase a TV based on a specific app.

Sadly I have found so far that simply is synonymous with less features / less seamless / more clunky / more money ... in some combination.

That is my experience so far too.  If  the "smart" features happen to be supplied with the TV you purchase, and does not add much to the cost,  fine, but I'd not go out of my way to purchase a TV based on a specific app.

I would also agree with this.  However I did purchase my Samsung TV knowing I would purchase a galaxy II NOTE with the expectation of sharing the screen on both.

I found it's hard to purchase a large screen Samsung TV today that is not smart.. and also one with a VGA port.

Seems like samsung has dumped the VGA port on the recent revs of TV's.

The SMART apps are a good idea, but they are slow to load and a bit cheesy. The one app I used a few times was the built in Skype. I could see that being useful for a family. The facebook app was pure cheese.

Seriously though, if you are fairly technical person used to working with windows or linux, you will be disappointed with the smart apps.  I ended up purchasing two mini HTPC's, one for Win 7 one for linux based XBMC.

If the unit I purchased didn't look so good and have a good price at the time of purchase, I would not have gotten it.

• 2 months later...

why don't you try totalmedia?? I have used it for almost 2 years.when i bought it, to my surprise, it can change region code, thus i'm never worried about relaxing myself when on business.  It's an easy to use and professional blu ray player software for windows? including Windows 8. of course, it fully integrates with Windows Media Center too.  maybe you should try. believe me, it is satisfying

+1 for an HTPC with your TV.    Even if you buy a "Smart" TV, you'll still have much more flexibility with a good HTPC.    I bought a new SmartTV last year, and my wife doesn't even know it's got any of those functions -- it's always used as essentially just a monitor for our main HTPC, which records all our programs; automatically marks and skips commercials;  serves as a front end for my media collection on UnRAID (~ 3500 movies);  etc.

In fact, I have an HTPC for every TV in the house -- the main one is a fairly "potent" system (8 tuners; 6TB of storage);  but the others are smaller units, including a couple of Acer Revo's, which work perfectly for this duty, are VERY tiny, and draw < 20 watts  :)

If I could have purchased a less smart TV I would have.

The 65" Samsung was top of the line as far as picture when I looked at them.

I thought I would use the Skype more too, but I find I don't.

What I do like is how well it integrates with the Samsung HT BluRay System.

I'll end up building 2 HTPC's (as I always have) 1 XBMC and 1 Windows.

So my recommendation is first look at the picture, look at your budget and if you can save without wanting the SMART TV, then spend the budget on a HTPC.

For me, the picture and motion was so good on the model I choose, I did not want to choose the other models.

I did not purchase the TV because of its "smart" features, but because of its price, size, picture, and number of inputs.  About the only "smart" feature used has been the "weather"  (and xbmc does that equally well)

Joe L.

I did the same thing... I needed a small monitor for my bedroom and there was a killer deal on a "smart" TV with built in speakers and HDMI input.  Perfect to hook to a HTPC and no need for external speaker.

I hate it.  hate, hate HATE!

The thing takes a minute to boot up and then takes a while to figure out which input is active.  One of my uses is that if I hear a car drive up, I flip on the display to check my security cams.  Totally unworkable with that crappy "smart" TV.    I even tried using it's native apps thinking I might not need the HTPC.  They are incredibly slow and clunky.

I compare that hunk of junk with the awesome user experience with the grey market IPS LCD that I use on my main PC.  It's made for the Korean market and has everything stripped out of it other than a DVI port.  You push the power button and BAM! there is your video.  It  has very low latency a great picture and just does does what a display should do... display video!

My opinion right now is that when buying a new TV I would pay extra to *not* have all that crappy half-assed software built in that isn't going to work with whatever the hot new apps are in a few years.

Hadn't thought to comment on that, but you're absolutely right => turning on one of the Smart TV units is NOT an "instant gratification" process ... at its core, it's a computer;  and it has to "boot" like any other computer.

For most purposes, that's pretty much irrelevant;  but for looking at a security camera, you definitely want to see what's happening NOW.

For your use Griz, it's probably not the best choice. my Samsung SMART TV is usable within 7 seconds.

I wouldn't use it for a monitor, but for a TV, the LED TV is just breathtaking for my eyes.

If I had a security cam environment that need to be instant on, I would probably use a used monitor also.

Frankly, My Dell U3011 is on 100% when I am awake. So it's not a big deal.

My TV is only on when I go into the living room to watch a show, which is usually near the last 2 hours of my day.

Believe me, if I had a choice to have a DUMB TV with multiple inputs as breathtaking as my 65" Samsung. I would have purchased that instead. I got an end of year sale that I could not pass on. Plus with the design of the LED I was able to get a lower cost Z line TV stand that handled it.  really low weight when you consider the size. Plus I can lift it all by myself.

My biggest beef with Samsung SMART TV's these days is no VGA port.

What does thrill me about the SMART TV is walking up to it and saying "HI TV POWER ON" !!!!

That el-cheapo "smart" TV is currently in the basement hooked to my UnRaid server. I recently upgraded my server and needed a monitor to change BIOS settings to get it to boot from USB... It's really sad, I can't watch the boot process because the computer POSTS and UnRaid boots faster than the TV can come out of sleep and find the right input  :o

I guess all "smart" TVs aren't as bad as the one I bought because it was cheap, but I still would rather just have a monitor with an open box attached to it. To me in 2013 with 100% of my content delivered over ethernet (even my OTA broadcast TV is delivered through a HDHomeRun) , there is no real difference between "TV" and "computer monitor" other than TVs usually have lower resolution for a given size.

What would be really cool is if the electronics industry could come up with a standard interface for a box or card to plug into your TV and provide tightly coupled "smarts".  But that would benefit the consumer, not the manufacturer's marketing dept.

What would be really cool is if the electronics industry could come up with a standard interface for a box or card to plug into your TV and provide tightly coupled "smarts".  But that would benefit the consumer, not the manufacturer's marketing dept.

Well ... they haven't done it, but you can.  NONE of my TVs are EVER watched using the built-in tuners.  They're all just "monitors" for an attached HTPC ... 65", 60", 55", and a couple of 37" units.    It DOES add a bit of cost for the PCs, but no matter where you're watching the interface is the same; and you can watch anything that's been recorded (main HTPC has 8 tuners and plenty of storage for a few thousand hrs of TV); any of our movies; play any of the music; etc.    In addition, you can do all that on any PC in the house  :)

That el-cheapo "smart" TV is currently in the basement hooked to my UnRaid server. I recently upgraded my server and needed a monitor to change BIOS settings to get it to boot from USB... It's really sad, I can't watch the boot process because the computer POSTS and UnRaid boots faster than the TV can come out of sleep and find the right input  :o

I guess all "smart" TVs aren't as bad as the one I bought because it was cheap, but I still would rather just have a monitor with an open box attached to it. To me in 2013 with 100% of my content delivered over ethernet (even my OTA broadcast TV is delivered through a HDHomeRun) , there is no real difference between "TV" and "computer monitor" other than TVs usually have lower resolution for a given size.

If you are so unhappy with it, trade it away or sell it and purchase something more to your liking.

It seems like you made a mistake with that particular unit and the expected use.

If you are so unhappy with it, trade it away or sell it and purchase something more to your liking.

It seems like you made a mistake with that particular unit and the expected use.

Agree with this advice.  And one nice thing about modern electronics is it's VERY inexpensive compared to not-so-long ago.    A few years ago, I donated an old TV that I'd pay $8000 for to a local charity;  and bought a far better replacement for $2000.  And you can now buy some very nice units for $1000 or so !!

Simply no reason to hang on to something that frustrates you !!  :)

Well ... they haven't done it, but you can.  NONE of my TVs are EVER watched using the built-in tuners.  They're all just "monitors" for an attached HTPC ..

That is *exactly* what I do.  I was just opining that it would be cool if the TV industry actually embraced this approach and had a standard mounting point/connector with power, DVI, S/PDIF for something like a Raspberry Pi...  Not holding my breath :)

Agree with this advice.  And one nice thing about modern electronics is it's VERY inexpensive compared to not-so-long ago.    A few years ago, I donated an old TV that I'd pay $8000 for to a local charity;  and bought a far better replacement for $2000.  And you can now buy some very nice units for $1000 or so !!

Simply no reason to hang on to something that frustrates you !!  :)

What is this, group therapy? :)

I actually have the box for it sitting right next to it, but have not worked up the energy to try to sell it on Craigslist...  I paid about $150 for it and figure I'd be very lucky if I get $50 for it after a lot of haggling.  Tempted to just throw it in the dumpster rather than deal with the hassle, but I'm a hoarder and it does still have some utility, though as much as it raises my bloodpressure the aggravation probably outweighs the utility value :)

I could donate it to someone I don't like though, that is a good idea :)

(I still have a 21" CRT monitor and a 27" CRT TV sitting around gathering dust to give you an idea of how bad my hoarder tendencies are...  ??? )