unMENU 1.6 - now available (A major upgrade in appearance)

A couple questions after upgrading to the new unraid (v5.0.5)/unmenu (1.6) versions.

1. On the first page I noticed your screenshot showing the user script page buttons are themed to match the rest of the interface. However on my install they are just plain gray buttons. Was they styling removed since that screen was posted or did I bugger my install somehow?

2. I went to view my syslog using the syslog page and noticed that the full log is not being displayed. I see the most recent lines from the main page (mainlog.png) however I am missing a number of lines when I view the log from the syslog page (TruncatedLog.png). What would cause this? I made sure all the filtering options were enabled so that isn't the issue.

3. When configuring the ssmtp plugin my password for my email account will not save. I hit edit, enter the password, save, and click reinstall with new values and when the page reloads the password field just shows "your_password" again. Attempting to send a test message failed with an authorization error. Are there certain characters that aren't supported by the plugin like the "$" as discussed in this (http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=13799) thread? The password works fine for logging into the account through the web browser.

EDIT: upon further investigation it appears that the ssmtp plugin does not play nice with quotation marks. When I hit save in the plugin manager, before installing with the new values, it will show the password up to the point where the " is and truncate the rest. Upon reinstalling the password value is changed back to "your_password". It will save just fine when I use something simple such as "testpassword". I guess for this one I will just have to change my password.

4. Does unmenu still need the entry in the go script to start with the server?

I have updated and restarted unmenu without success in an attempt to fix these issues. This is the info from my unmenu about section:

unmenu.awk: Version 1.6 Revision: 278  Joe L.... with modifications as suggested by bjp999, mvdzwaan, and many others

Plug-in-modules

07-unmenu-mymain.awk: 1.54 - changes for myMain 4-10-11 release, contributed by bjp999 - preclear support - Revision: 266

08-unmenu-array_mgmt.awk: 1.2.4 - fixed path to md.c to detect NOCORRECT mode - Revision: 269

09-unmenu-disk_mgmt.awk: 1.7 - fixed "mount" command to get file system type even if disk is apparently not spinning (where temp = "*" or "") - Revision: 276

10-unmenu-links.awk: 1.2 Fixed increment of link counter - Revision: 7 

15-unmenu-disk_perf.cgi: 1 - improved css by zoggy - Revision: 262

15-unmenu-network_perf.cgi: 1 - improved formatting by zoggy - Revision: 262

16-unmenu-syslog.awk: Version: 1.0  - modified by bjp999, Use common routines to generate enhanced syslog viewer - Revision: 178

17-unmenu-syslog.awk: Version: .9  - added css class to fieldset - mvdzwaan - Revision: 262

18-unmenu-lsof.awk: Version: .1  - Joe L. - Revision: 7 

20-unmenu-usage.awk: 1.0 - Revision: 7 

200-unmenu-smarthistory.cgi: 1.1 - added tests for directory, file, and php - Revision: 7 

25-unmenu-dupe_files.awk: 1.2 deal with appostraphe in file name - Revision: 7 

29-unmenu-sysinfo.awk: 1.6 - Added -l option to free to show "low" memory. Joe L. - Revision: 274

30-unmenu-file_browser.awk: 1.1.6 update allowd disk array to have members greater than disk15. - Revision: 234

40-unmenu-iso_share.awk: 1.2 Added formatting of "ls" date/time string to allow consistent parse of file path - Joe L.  - Revision: 236

50-unmenu-user_scripts.cgi: .5 - Added css for submit button - mvzdwaan - Revision: 262

600-unmenu-file_edit.awk: .2.1 Fixed error out of "ls" when directory does not exist.  Joe L. - Revision: 119

99-unmenu-myMain-Config.awk: 1.0 - Part of myMain 12-1-10 release, contributed by bjp999 - Revision: 246

99-unmenu-utility.awk: 1.54 - changes for myMain 4-10-11 release, contributed by bjp999 - smartctl support - Revision: 246

990-unmenu-wget.awk: 3.0  Added 64bit compatible flag to packages. - Revision: 276

999-unmenu-unraid_main.awk: 1.2 Joe L. -- Added code to detect presence of /etc/unraid-version and change main URL accordingly - Revision: 244

mainlog.png.0078af4c57b1de347e42f7e22175fc03.png

TruncatedLog.png.1bbd318c30303ab3eb4c614c41b5ea5f.png

A couple questions after upgrading to the new unraid (v5.0.5)/unmenu (1.6) versions.

1. On the first page I noticed your screenshot showing the user script page buttons are themed to match the rest of the interface. However on my install they are just plain gray buttons. Was they styling removed since that screen was posted or did I bugger my install somehow?

There is nothing wrong, the style changed as the skins were being developed.  You can always edit the skin if you like to change the style to suit your tastes.

2. I went to view my syslog using the syslog page and noticed that the full log is not being displayed. I see the most recent lines from the main page (mainlog.png) however I am missing a number of lines when I view the log from the syslog page (TruncatedLog.png). What would cause this? I made sure all the filtering options were enabled so that isn't the issue.

The syslog page has always displayed only the last 3000 lines of the syslog.  The actual number can be configured in your unmenu_local.conf file if you like as:

# the syslog plug-in limits the lines shown based on how it invoked.

# A syslog may be clicked on via the file_browser plug-in or the Syslog main-menu link:

syslog_summary_lines      = 3000

Additionally, the syslog is re-started by unRAID when it gets too big.  It puts the initial portion in syslog.1 and starts syslog fresh each time it does that.

The download button should give you the entire syslog. file.

3. When configuring the ssmtp plugin my password for my email account will not save. I hit edit, enter the password, save, and click reinstall with new values and when the page reloads the password field just shows "your_password" again. Attempting to send a test message failed with an authorization error. Are there certain characters that aren't supported by the plugin like the "$" as discussed in this (http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=13799) thread? The password works fine for logging into the account through the web browser.

EDIT: upon further investigation it appears that the ssmtp plugin does not play nice with quotation marks. When I hit save in the plugin manager, before installing with the new values, it will show the password up to the point where the " is and truncate the rest. Upon reinstalling the password value is changed back to "your_password". It will save just fine when I use something simple such as "testpassword". I guess for this one I will just have to change my password.

I'm afraid that some characters are special to the shell.  Strings are delimited by quote marks.  Clearly it is truncating the string at what it thinks is the trailing quote mark.  You can always try escaping the quote mark  (with leading "\" characters, but I've no idea if it will work at all, or how many preceding backslash characters you might need.) 

4. Does unmenu still need the entry in the go script to start with the server?

yes

I have updated and restarted unmenu without success in an attempt to fix these issues.

Nothing will change when re-starting it, since there were no issues.  Enjoy your server.

Joe L.

I'd like to use some of the features of unMENU's package manager, namely, I've installed:

-mail and ssmtp

-unraid-status-email

-monthly parity check

Question is, I'd like my users to not access the unmenu admin interface (8080), is there someway to secure it? Alternatively, I'd like to not invoke from the go script but have the packages above installed and configured on reboot, do I need to do something special if not starting unmenu from the go script via /boot/unmenu/uu ?

I see the line:

cd /boot/packages && find . -name '*.auto_install' -type f -print | sort | xargs -n1 sh -c

in my go script and yet the ssmtp package does not work.

EDIT: nevermind, install on reboot was not enabled.

Thanks

-Thanks for the info. At the time I took the screenshots there was less than 1000 lines in the full downloaded log, so the logger restarting isn't what caused it but either way it seems to be fixed now. I rebooted yesterday to no avail but this morning after playing around with snap I rebooted again and the log page seems to be working fine.-

-I figured the ssmtp issue I was having had something to do with that after reading the thread I linked to. I just went ahead and had keepass exclude any "special" shell characters from the password generator for my email address.

Thanks for the quick response.

@joelones: a quick search of the forum brought up a script (http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=10491) that attempts to "secure" unmenu by setting up a username/password requirement and killing the unmenu interface after x amount of time. The thread is old so it probably won't work out of the box but if you are so inclined you could probably rework it to fit your needs.

I've seen several references to unmenu_local.conf. I don't have this file as far as I can tell. Do I need to create it? A copy of unmenu.conf maybe?

Yes you need to create it.  And yes.  Make a copy of unmenu.conf, name it unmenu_local.conf, put it in the same directory as unmenu.conf,  edit the newly named copy as desired.

I've seen several references to unmenu_local.conf. I don't have this file as far as I can tell. Do I need to create it? A copy of unmenu.conf maybe?

Yes you need to create it.  And yes.  Make a copy of unmenu.conf, name it unmenu_local.conf, put it in the same directory as unmenu.conf,  edit the newly named copy as desired.

Is this to preserve my conf on updates?

Is this to preserve my conf on updates?

excatly. unmenu_local.conf will never be overwritten.

Like someone else reported, I cannot access SMART reports via unMENU or myMain.  I get the following response:

smartctl -a -d ata /dev/sdc (disk5)
smartctl 6.2 2013-07-26 r3841 [i686-linux-3.9.11p-unRAID] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-13, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

Read Device Identity failed: Invalid argument

A mandatory SMART command failed: exiting. To continue, add one or more '-T permissive' options.

I'm assuming that the command needs to be "-a -A" and not "-a -d ata", correct?  Strange, as I used to be able to get these reports in the past.

Like someone else reported, I cannot access SMART reports via unMENU or myMain.  I get the following response:

A mandatory SMART command failed: exiting. To continue, add one or more '-T permissive' options.

I'm assuming that the command needs to be "-a -A" and not "-a -d ata", correct?  Strange, as I used to be able to get these reports in the past.

I've been told that upgrading to the latest version fixes the problem, but it did not for me. I had to sift through the files and remove all instances of "-d ata" for things to work again.

I've been told that upgrading to the latest version fixes the problem, but it did not for me. I had to sift through the files and remove all instances of "-d ata" for things to work again.

Adding "smartopt" and "-A" to the drives in myMain will fix that much of unMenu but it doesn't fix the "Drive Management" tab for instance.  I don't use anything other than myMain that requires it normally so I haven't bothered to change my files.  But it would be nice if there was a way to make the change universal in "unmenu.conf".  And after looking at it maybe there IS:

# set to "-d ata" if using older hardware where smartctl is unable to determine controller type.
SMART_ATTRIB = ""

so maybe change to

# set to "-d ata" if using older hardware where smartctl is unable to determine controller type.
SMART_ATTRIB = "-A"

I'll have to try that and see if it works when I get the chance.

Adding "smartopt" and "-A" to the drives in myMain will fix that much of unMenu but it doesn't fix the "Drive Management" tab for instance.  I don't use anything other than myMain that requires it normally so I haven't bothered to change my files.  But it would be nice if there was a way to make the change universal in "unmenu.conf".  And after looking at it maybe there IS:

SMART_ATTRIB = ""

so maybe change to

SMART_ATTRIB = "-A"

I'll have to try that and see if it works when I get the chance.

SMART_ATTRIB is not used anywhere in unMenu.  Changing that value will have no effect.

SMART_ATTRIB is not used anywhere in unMenu.  Changing that value will have no effect.

Wonder if this is what you are thinking of. Check out THIS POST

unmenu.conf has these lines:

SMART_ATTRIB = ""

But that setting is not used anywhere in unmenu.

Wonder if this is what you are thinking of. Check out THIS POST

unmenu.conf has these lines:

SMART_ATTRIB = ""

But that setting is not used anywhere in unmenu.

Correct.  Ok then it  is useless for me to try to change it.  Scratch that idea.  Will just have to edit files if I find I need it outside of myMain.

If I run a smart test from the disk management screen where are the results recorded? I tried checking the smart reports tab but got an error that that directory didn't exist. Is there some other package I need to install to view the reports?

I believe to look at the report you just need to get another smart report so you should be able to see the results of the test by just getting a smart report from myMain.  However you can just use the command line to issue the smartctl command and see any results returned there if I'm wrong.

What does the Smart History tab do then? I was thinking that would show a summary of previous tests, but I can't get it to work. I guess it doesn't really matter, I don't really understand the results. But it would be nice to at least have some sort of pass/fail indication. As it is now I don't even know if the test completed. I'll take a look at myMain and see if the results are there. Maybe I just missed them last night.

What does the Smart History tab do then? I was thinking that would show a summary of previous tests, but I can't get it to work. I guess it doesn't really matter, I don't really understand the results. But it would be nice to at least have some sort of pass/fail indication. As it is now I don't even know if the test completed. I'll take a look at myMain and see if the results are there. Maybe I just missed them last night.

That is for the smarthistory PHP plugin to automatically retrieve smart reports and present them in a chart showing the smart report history over time.  But unless you create a smarthistory directory and download the PHP plugin into it.  That TAB does NOTHING.

That is for the smarthistory PHP plugin to automatically retrieve smart reports and present them in a chart showing the smart report history over time.  But unless you create a smarthistory directory and download the PHP plugin into it.  That TAB does NOTHING.

Can I do this from Pkg Manager?

Do the results get displayed or is it just a text entry that a test was run?

Can I do this from Pkg Manager?

I will have to find the thread because I don't believe it is in the Pkg Manager.

Do the results get displayed or is it just a text entry that a test was run?

If there are no errors then you will get a standard smart report with the only difference being that it shows a test has been run and the date - I believe.  The first smart report after the test has been run may have more data.  I don't actually know as I've only run one smart test before and it showed up rather cryptically when I looked.

Thanks. I ran a long smart test on a new hd last week but all I got was a message with a date/time of when the test was expected to be complete. Would be nice to know that the test actually did complete and if the disk passed or failed. I'm sure that info is stored somewhere, I just don't know how to access it.

Thanks. I ran a long smart test on a new hd last week but all I got was a message with a date/time of when the test was expected to be complete. Would be nice to know that the test actually did complete and if the disk passed or failed. I'm sure that info is stored somewhere, I just don't know how to access it.

Get a new smart report on it now.  Look at the bottom of the report.  Do you not see something with a date indicating that a test was run?  If so that is all the notification you get - I believe.  If it had errors then it should indicate that at the bottom.  In this case NO news is GOOD news I believe.