unRAID Server Release 5.0 i386 Available

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 4

You have no idea how much that app pisses me off. Cheap google ranking bumping at the expense of spamming forums. I literally dont care that you used Tapatalk on your SGH whatever. rant over .. not your fault :)

well Lime-tech uses or allow to use it so I take it as an endorsement sort of thing.

and it somewhat convenient when I am on my phone compared to mobile browser.

as for "screen" it is a native Linux tool, so I do not see any issue on support as you can get all the support from Linux community if/when needed.

and really what support do you need if it's already installed?

now if you have to install it you either need to know CLI (thus support) or install a 3rd party plug-in to unRaid (which adds to support headache) and install it through it (which also adds the support headache and user headache especially for noobs)

which is better? you tell me...

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 4

You have no idea how much that app pisses me off. Cheap google ranking bumping at the expense of spamming forums. I literally dont care that you used Tapatalk on your SGH whatever. rant over .. not your fault :)

Well personally I find it the best way to view forums on a mobile device (actually I think it's better then a Web browser,  quick links to all forums you use and to threads you participated in)  Now I understand your dislike of the advertising in the forum and in reality that can be turned off quite easily.  But I think the signature is important because that will explain why a response is short or not as well formatted or missing a link that will be added later etc.  Since a response on a mobile is a little stripped down on ease of typing, copy and pasting and formating of a message.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 4

Anyone have an answer here?

We have conflicting DO NOTs here - I'm inclined to listen to Tom.

You SHOULD NOT reformat or start over unless you really want to re-install everything.

This is from the first page in the thread - can you clarify please?:

If you are currently running unRAID Server OS release 5.0-rc16c:

----------------------------------------------------------------

- Copy over 'bzimage', 'bzroot', and 'readme.txt' from the release zip file to your Flash and then reboot your server.

If you are currently running an earlier unRAID Server OS 5.0-beta or 5.0-rc release:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Probably the best thing to do is backup your Flash, reformat, re-install, restore 'config' directory, and

then reboot.

coming from rc5

whats the best thing to do now?

Format flash, and do clean install?

What about apps..?

So i back up my flash

format

clean install

Then what?

I copy the old config directory over? or can i just leave it with a clean install?

(want to install all addons from start again anyway)

Should i move my plugins from /boot/plugins to /boot/config/plugins?

You SHOULD NOT reformat or start over unless you really want to re-install everything.

I hate this too, and that **** sig "sent by tapatalk" .... I've hated that sort of thing since the original blackberry - which defines ****:

"please pardon the brevity of this message - it was sent from my blackberry"

Such arrogant viral advertising...  us GenX-ers dont like advertising.  =)

OH, AND not to mention, every time I open this farking forum on my ipad, I get an AD for tapatalk!  I hate! that and it cant be turned off.  For this reason ALONE I will never ever purchase tapatalk.  I guess I plan on ditching the ipad eventually anyway, but man i HATE this!!!

whew, too much coffee this morning!

Agreed - I LOATHE Tapatalk.  Thanks for the instructions on screen, will do it after posting this.

Anyway - I upgraded from 4.7 to 5.0 final last night.

I had done a parity check before and after the upgrade.  It is an 8.5 TB array.  Parity time IMPROVED by 3 mins and 21 sec with V5 final.

No errors found in either.

I install my AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 card later today...

OH, AND not to mention, every time I open this farking forum on my ipad, I get an AD for tapatalk!  I hate! that and it cant be turned off.  For this reason ALONE I will never ever purchase tapatalk.

I don't mind the .sig - I mind that FREAKING POP-UP.  OMG what the hell?!?!

Had to clarify.  :)

- Copy over 'bzimage', 'bzroot', and 'readme.txt' from the release zip file to your Flash and then reboot your server.

If you are currently running an earlier unRAID Server OS 5.0-beta or 5.0-rc release:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Probably the best thing to do is backup your Flash, reformat, re-install, restore 'config' directory, and

then reboot.

I think Tom was trying to be conservative, and simplify the instructions, and perhaps he oversimplified.  At some point, many long time UnRAID users have had to reformat and use make_bootable.bat, and it hasn't been predictable as to which upgrade it would occur for a particular user.

What I would recommend is try copying the 3 files and reboot, and only if that doesn't work, go through the longer procedure.  The one thing i would add to his instructions is that if you are upgrading from a much older release, say one of the v5.0 betas, you also need to run the Permissions tool on the Utility Menu.

then reboot.

I think Tom was trying to be conservative, and simplify the instructions, and perhaps he oversimplified.  At some point, many long time UnRAID users have had to reformat and use make_bootable.bat, and it hasn't been predictable as to which upgrade it would occur for a particular user.

What I would recommend is try copying the 3 files and reboot, and only if that doesn't work, go through the longer procedure.  The one thing i would add to his instructions is that if you are upgrading from a much older release, say one of the v5.0 betas, you also need to run the Permissions tool on the Utility Menu.

As far as I can understand, such issue RobJ refer that happened to a few users, months ago, with syslinux hanging at boot and not even showing menu, after upgrading, was caused because they apparently updated menu.c32 binary (some user confirmed it - wrongly thinking it was related to the new menu options, and maybe others just replaced all root files even...) without updating whole syslinux. It caused the problem as users ended with older syslinux version "installed" and menu.c32 binary from new syslinux version that were apparently not compatible...

Deleting ldlinux.sys (that is created by make_bootable.bat and not included in unraid zip) is also probably bad idea, and may be easy mistake, for eg. if user wrongly deletes all root files from pen first and copy new ones from the zip...

If user replaces just the 3 files (bzimage, bzroot and readme.txt... and... syslinux.cfg if wanting to get the new boot menu options...), and don't touch syslinux binaries at all, there should be no problems. Older syslinux should be able to boot any new bzimage without issues... I use an older syslinux myself on my unraid pen just because I don't bother updating it... it does it's task why should I bother? :)

But I perfectly understand Tom, probably for support reasons, really trying to simplify it to the max., make sure users will do it simple and get the most clean thing possible. If user wants to do it by an unofficial way just because it's easier for him, to avoid needing to get the pen out of the server for eg., it's his own responsibility...

Note that some older systems won't boot when initialized with the newer version of syslinux.

You can tell by watching the boot process on an attached display.  If the "dots" you see are just a few for the initial bzroot and less than a full line for bzimage, then the code was from the newer syslinux.    If the dots run several lines, then your flash was initialized with the older syslinux.

If you initialize a flash drive with the v5.0 download and it won't boot; try initializing (makebootable) the disk with an older download, then replace all the files on the flash drive with those from the v5.0 download (but don't re-do the "makebootable" initialization).

Note that some older systems won't boot when initialized with the newer version of syslinux.

You can tell by watching the boot process on an attached display.  If the "dots" you see are just a few for the initial bzroot and less than a full line for bzimage, then the code was from the newer syslinux.    If the dots run several lines, then your flash was initialized with the older syslinux.

If you initialize a flash drive with the v5.0 download and it won't boot; try initializing (makebootable) the disk with an older download, then replace all the files on the flash drive with those from the v5.0 download (but don't re-do the "makebootable" initialization).

All files... except menu.c32 else you may potentially cause the problem I described above... best procedure IMO is replace just bzimage, bzroot, readme.txt and syslinux.cfg.

I bought a new disk to replace an old seagate but i'm going to use this as an opportunity to do rolling drive replacements to get two other disks 4K aligned.

No reason to do that unless you are OCD and it just bothers you. I wouldn't mess with it. Just let the unaligned disks age out of the array as you get bigger drives.

Just updated my HP Micro Server N40L containing 6 discs from v5.0-RC3 to v5.0 i386.

I was hesitant with the formatting of the USB key and since I had problems in the past with my existing USB keys I decided to have a backup USB key for each of my two servers in case the key gets again corrupted or fails.

Since I run unmenu & cache dirs, I updated those programs to the latest versions including the plugin for cache dirs, ran a parity check and made sure that the two keys per server where identical. Started the HP N40L to verify everything is still running without a problem before updating. Did this for both of the USB keys.

Took one of the flash drives and copied from the v5.0 i386 downloaded release, all the files except the config directory, to the root directory of the flash drive overwriting all duplicates. Finally ran the make_bootable.bat file, plugged the flash drive into the HP N40L and powered the server up and presto a stable v5.0 is now installed on the HP N40L.

Tom, all in all, version 5.0 is a job well done. Next job updating my version 4.7 server. Judging from this experience, as they say in the UK, it should be a doddle.

Well, just finished the updating of my 4.7 server to 5.0. Followed the instructions implicitly and it all worked fine. Had on small problem. In chasing down the connectivity problems between MS Win7 and UnRaid I had entered into the Vault were Windows Credentials are being stored for automatic logon the user "root" with password, while the new new credentials were "root" with no password. Couldn't imagine why I couldn't open \\Tower on this one machine but could open the IP address to the shares on the Tower server.

Opened up the Vault Credentials and deleted the entry for Tower from it. Now everything is working as it supposed to.

Just had two lines with Errors but after comparing them to the 4.7 log I think they can be ignored.

Sep  8 21:55:02 Tower kernel: atiixp 0000:00:14.1: not 100%% native mode: will probe irqs later

Sep  8 21:55:02 Tower kernel: ide0: BM-DMA at 0xff00-0xff07

Sep  8 21:55:02 Tower kernel: atiixp 0000:00:14.1: simplex device: DMA disabled

Sep  8 21:55:02 Tower kernel: ide1: DMA disabled

Sep  8 21:55:02 Tower kernel: Probing IDE interface ide0...

Sep  9 13:19:25 Tower kernel: atiixp 0000:00:14.1: not 100%% native mode: will probe irqs later

Sep  9 13:19:25 Tower kernel: ide0: BM-DMA at 0xff00-0xff07

Sep  9 13:19:25 Tower kernel: atiixp 0000:00:14.1: simplex device: DMA disabled (Errors)

Sep  9 13:19:25 Tower kernel: ide1: DMA disabled (Errors)

Sep  9 13:19:25 Tower kernel: Probing IDE interface ide0...

Again Thanks for all the toys and fish  ;D

I just had TCP/IP "fail".

I can't get into my server through telnet or web access.  It is not responding to SMB requests either.

Using IPMI I found in my syslog:

"irq 47: nobody cared (try booting with the "irqpoll" option"

I'm running on an X8SIL-F-O, and a newly installed SAS2LP-MV8.  All non-essentials were earlier disabled in the PC bios.

I'm guessing this is more HW problem than Unraid 5, but not absolutely sure.  Any thoughts?

I just had TCP/IP "fail".

I can't get into my server through telnet or web access.  It is not responding to SMB requests either.

Using IPMI I found in my syslog:

"irq 47: nobody cared (try booting with the "irqpoll" option"

I'm running on an X8SIL-F-O, and a newly installed SAS2LP-MV8.  All non-essentials were earlier disabled in the PC bios.

I'm guessing this is more HW problem than Unraid 5, but not absolutely sure.  Any thoughts?

Yes, moreso harware.  I use to have this on my build until about 5.0rc12 release.  I had to run with the irqpoll option so that everything would play nice.

Start a new thread in the support area.