SMART paramater tracking database

Er, on second thought, since I currently have a monthly parity check scheduled to run at midnight which probably won't finish by 4:30am, would this 4:30am daily smart history report cause a problem during the monthly parity check?

No problem at all.  You can run a SMART report at any time.  In fact, since the drives are already spinning, it will just take a few seconds to run.
  • Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No problem at all.  You can run a SMART report at any time.   In fact, since the drives are already spinning, it will just take a few seconds to run.

Cool, thanks.  I just read through the whole thread and see this was mentioned before, sorry about that.

So, after reviewing the thread, I didn't see much talk about best practices.  For instance, I see now that running the 50-unmenu_user_script_smarthist-graph comand daily will spin up all the drives since it uses the wake parameter.  I saw a suggestion of only doing this (wake all drives) weekly. 

I was wondering about running the 50-unmenu_user_script_smarthist-graph weekly versus a version *without* the wake parameter on a much more frequent

schedule (less than the spindown setting?) so as to capture (more) data but only for drives when they are ever spun up/in use.

Also, what about running an actual smartctl short test once a month versus a monthly parity check?  Does a monthly parity check accomplish the same thing?

Thanks for any comments.

Also, what about running an actual smartctl short test once a month versus a monthly parity check?  Does a monthly parity check accomplish the same thing?

Thanks for any comments.

The "short" test is internal to the disk drive and only tests if it can read a sector or two.  The "short" test tells you very little.  The parity check reads ALL the sectors and will enable the SMART firmware to identify any that it is unable to read.  It is much much better that a periodic short test.
  • 2 months later...

Hey Hello,

I wanted to say this is a great script and have been calling it daily since early last year ...

I wanted to know if there was anyway to limit the number of days the report was graphed over.  (limit the number of data points sent to google)

On Firefox 32bit latest and Windows 7 64 bit with all current updates running Unraid 4.5.3 using your 0.1.06 php smarthistory script ... it would seem google graphs (?) is complaining about the number of data points / the 'line length' or the length of sent url and returns no graphs for my drives older than a few months

I was curious if it was just me or google?

Thanks for your time ...

Bobby

• 3 months later...

It will be a while before I can get into it, but I plan to provide a way to reduce data as it ages.

Keep all for 6 weeks, only 1 per day for 4 months, and 1 a week for over  3 months old.

You can, of course, hand-edit your data files, and delete rows of data.

thanks for the feedback bubbaQ - glad to know you're on the case

I guess for now, I will just archive/backup all the *.smarthistory files periodically - as long as there are no reported probs, I can just backup the files periodically and restart the data collection :-)

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Nice app, been using it for a while.

However the UI is awful.

It needs spicing up. The graphs take up an inch by inch square on my 27" monitor, and therefore are far far far far too small.

I think possibly use tabs?

I.e. have tabs along the top of the window for each disk (someone could work out a way to make each tab equal, i.e. if the screen is 2560 pix wide, and you have 10 drives, each tab is 256px wide).

And then have the graphs much bigger, showing more information, more dates, grids, etc.

Possible?

It needs spicing up. The graphs take up an inch by inch square on my 27" monitor, and therefore are far far far far too small.

Use Ctrl-Plus key.

Yea ummn, that isn't a solution ;)

If this could be made into a plugin for the "Simple Features" UI that would be awesome.

No, this needs to be made a plugin for the unRAID plugin system.

Use Ctrl-Plus key.

Yea ummn, that isn't a solution ;)

If this could be made into a plugin for the "Simple Features" UI that would be awesome.

Alright, let me rephrase that.

'If this could be made into a plugin that allows the "Simple Features" UI to work with it then that would be awesome.

The best all around solution would be:

• Tom takes "Simple Features" and makes it the stock, default UnRaid GUI - it looks WAY BETTER than the current stock GUI
  • The rest of us get busy writing V5 plugins that work and look great with the new "stock" GUI
  • The UI is "skinnable" in a way that does not affect the plugins - meaning that plugin development and UI development can proceed independently and people can develop new "looks" for UnRaid the do not affect plugin code.

That would be nivana...

Having used the Simple Features GUI I really can't go back to the stock version - thus any plugins I create will go towards Simple Features.  Sorry - that is the way it is.  People will vote with their time and spent it improving things they like to use.

All the SimpleFeatures plugin provides (relating to gui) are simple-ish CSS, PHP & Javascript additions. I'm unsure what additional features (besides maybe the tooltips) you might need before you can create an unRAID V.5 plugin?

See the new plugin system that Tom is working on, seems to do the job. Chuck a plg file into the /boot/config/plugins folder, reboot, and it works fine. You don't need SimpleFeatures for the plugins to work, and if you add SimpleFeatures, the plugins aren't affected.

I'm hoping that provides some insight, unless I missed a point somewhere  ;D

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

any chance of using MRTG to show the data? we use it at work to show all sorts of stats and its pretty mainstream out there with lots of examples of what you can do with it..

maybe team up with this guy:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=17714.0

In the token.conf I see:

[Raw_Read_Error_Rate]
; need a way to exclude seagate drives from this parameter

Perhaps just supply a list of serial numbers of devices to exclude.. or do some sort of regex on model family for 'Segate' or device model for ^ST\d

example data from smart history:

Model Family:     Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 family
Device Model:     ST31000340AS

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Reviving this thread because I believe my issue is pertinent to this "support" thread:

Will an unRAID v6 version be supported (or is specifically building a 64-bit version)?

I have this installed in both a v5 and the beta v6 but it is in v6 where there are problems:

Warning: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone. in /boot/smarthistory/smarthistory.php on line ###

The above error is repeated ad nauseum before displaying the statistics of each drive.