[CONTAINER] CrashPlan & CrashPlan-Desktop

I haven't had any memory problems yet, but that help page says you need 1GB RAM for every 1TB of data being backed up, so I assume I'll need more.

Does it mean that if I have 30TB of data, it will take 30GB of RAM just for Crashplan?

According to the Crashplan help pages:

http://support.code42.com/CrashPlan/Latest/Troubleshooting/CrashPlan_Runs_Out_Of_Memory_And_Crashes

Code42 typically recommends allocating 1 GB (1024 MB) of memory per 1 TB of storage (or per 1 million files).? Although CrashPlan only requires approximately 600 MB of memory per 1 TB of storage (or per 1 million files), our recommendation is intended to account for growth in your file selection.

What I do to try and get around this is create multiple backup sets.  My theory is that if I can keep each backup set to around 1 TB I'll be ok.  It seems to work, I've backed up 3.5 TB so far and haven't had any memory problems.

But 30 TB is a different story :) That would probably take a few years to backup.  I'd use Crashplan for your critical data and then find some other kind of local backup for the less critical data.

Just a quick comment. The crash plan page in reference also said that it needs all that memory because of deduplication.  If you are backing up a lot of AV content, you won't benefit from dedupe.  I think you can even turn dedupe off for specific jobs...

• 4 weeks later...

I am trying to setup Crashplan, but apparently have no idea what I am actually doing. :)

I have created an account on a Windows machine and logged in successfully. I then installed the Docker container from gfjardim through the Enhanced Docker plugin. I edited the ui.properties to reflect my actual IP, and I can't connect on 4242 or 4243. I tried copy my .identity file from the Windows machine to my Docker config container, and still nothing.

port 4243 can't be found.

port 4242 shows:

€cA-18782|com.code42.messaging.security.SecurityProviderReadyMessage¶¢"ÐyØ»-±ÚеUœæå|$ÇñìƴĸџÁ

Is there supposed to be something after the http://servername:4242/ to access the GUI? I also tried editing my.service.xml to replace the 0.0.0.0 with my IP, but not sure if I needed to do this.

Any suggestions on getting this started would be greatly appreciated.

I am trying to setup Crashplan, but apparently have no idea what I am actually doing. :)

I have created an account on a Windows machine and logged in successfully. I then installed the Docker container from gfjardim through the Enhanced Docker plugin. I edited the ui.properties to reflect my actual IP, and I can't connect on 4242 or 4243. I tried copy my .identity file from the Windows machine to my Docker config container, and still nothing.

port 4242 shows:

€cA-18782|com.code42.messaging.security.SecurityProviderReadyMessage¶¢"ÐyØ»-±ÚеUœæå|$ÇñìƴĸџÁ

Is there supposed to be something after the http://servername:4242/ to access the GUI? I also tried editing my.service.xml to replace the 0.0.0.0 with my IP, but not sure if I needed to do this.

I'd revert the changes you made and then follow the directions here:

http://support.code42.com/CrashPlan/Latest/Configuring/Configuring_A_Headless_Client

You basically setup a SSH tunnel from your Windows machine to unRAID, and the Crashplan GUI you installed on Windows then communicates over that tunnel to the Crashplan service running on unRAID.

port 4242 shows:

http://support.code42.com/CrashPlan/Latest/Configuring/Configuring_A_Headless_Client

You basically setup a SSH tunnel from your Windows machine to unRAID, and the Crashplan GUI you installed on Windows then communicates over that tunnel to the Crashplan service running on unRAID.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will give this a try.

port 4242 shows:

Okay, I tried the above and am still having issues.

I removed the Docker container and the config folder and reinstalled the image. I uninstalled on my Windows PC, rebooted, did a clean install and followed the guide you posted.

When I connect with Putty it asks for a username/password. I am assuming it wants my UnRAID root account since if I put in my Crashplan credentials I get access denied.

When I launch the app on my Windows machine it only lists my Windows machine. I do see an entry for '42' in the main GUI page, which I thought may be my UnRAID machine, but says no files were selected for backup, and I can't browse it. When I try and browse I only see my Windows PC.

When I installed my docker for data I selected /mnt/user/Pictures as this is all I want to backup. Any idea on what I am missing still?

Thanks

port 4242 shows:

I removed the Docker container and the config folder and reinstalled the image. I uninstalled on my Windows PC, rebooted, did a clean install and followed the guide you posted.

When I connect with Putty it asks for a username/password. I am assuming it wants my UnRAID root account since if I put in my Crashplan credentials I get access denied.

When I launch the app on my Windows machine it only lists my Windows machine. I do see an entry for '42' in the main GUI page, which I thought may be my UnRAID machine, but says no files were selected for backup, and I can't browse it. When I try and browse I only see my Windows PC.

When I installed my docker for data I selected /mnt/user/Pictures as this is all I want to backup. Any idea on what I am missing still?

Thanks

OK, once you connect via putty it should just be a matter of setting the "service port" in your ui.properties file to 4200.  That step in Crashplan's docs is kind of buried.

Then when you start the crashplan client on windows it should see the folders on unRAID and NOT the folders on Windows.  You won't be able to see both at the same time.

Thanks

OK, once you connect via putty it should just be a matter of setting the "service port" in your ui.properties file to 4200.  That step in Crashplan's docs is kind of buried.

Then when you start the crashplan client on windows it should see the folders on unRAID and NOT the folders on Windows.  You won't be able to see both at the same time.

I did set that on my Windows machine, and used the Putty config to set the tunnel, however there are two points that I am unclear on:

1) When you putty in using SSH are you supposed to log in? If so, is it UnRAID credentials?

2) in the document it has you run netstat and shows both the UnRAID server IP as well as loopback (127.0.0.1). I only see the UnRAID server IP.

Could either of these be my issue?

The documentation seemed pretty straight forward which is why I am sort of confused.

I figured it out.. basically I'm an idiot.  :-[

I had updated the ui.properties on the Windows PC, however... I forgot to remove the # on the line (Notepad blurs everything together and I didn't really notice). I updated the file correctly, and life is good.

Thanks for the assistance.

One last question on this.... Is there any reason to keep the app or the taskbar app running on the Windows PC once I've set the backup up? Or do I only need to launch it if I am making changes to the UnRAID Crashplan config?

I am guessing I only need to launch it when working on the app, but want to make sure I am accurate.

Great!  I'm glad it is connecting now. 

Once you have it configured you can close the Crashplan app on your Windows box and exit putty too.  It is pretty much a "set it and forget" it type of thing, unless you want to check up on how much progress it has made on the backup.  (depending on how much data you are backing up, it could take a few months to complete the initial backup)

Also, I see now that gfjardim is recommending an alternate way to connect in the first post.  It looks like his method bypasses putty, which should be easier.  I'm not sure why Crashplan doesn't recommend that method.

Once you have it configured you can close the Crashplan app on your Windows box and exit putty too.  It is pretty much a "set it and forget" it type of thing, unless you want to check up on how much progress it has made on the backup.  (depending on how much data you are backing up, it could take a few months to complete the initial backup)

Also, I see now that gfjardim is recommending an alternate way to connect in the first post.  It looks like his method bypasses putty, which should be easier.  I'm not sure why Crashplan doesn't recommend that method.

Because it requires a change in the configuration (already done by the container) and is less safe. You should put a password in the Gui to level up the security.

Thanks. I assumed as much, but wanted to confirm before heading out for a few days. Thankfully I am only syncing 170GB so it will take 1.4 days according to the GUI, which isn't too bad I suppose.

Glad you got it working.  I am synching 3+TB.  It's gonna take a while.  I had it syched up from my PC before and I hoped to get it running headless without having to re-synch.  But somehow I screwed that up.  Either way, running headless will be soo worth it in the end.

I agree. I definitely prefer the set and forget mentality. :)

• 3 weeks later...

So.... I don't actually want to backup my user shares, but is it possible to setup crashplan to backup to the mnt/share location?

I have a secondary tower that I would like to use purely just for backups, but I want the storage to go to the array not the cache disks.

thanks!

yea thats what I do.  create a share called "crashplan" and set "Use cache disk: NO"    then on your docker config  map  /crashplan to your host /mnt/user/crashplan     

Is there a way to bound crash plan to one cpu?  I have 2 CPUs and I want to run at 90% without crippling the whole server.  I am trying to speed up the initial upload to crash plan.

im sure there is a command line for docker to do that.. but you can go into the settings of crash plan and tell it how much cpu to use.

Thanks for this Docker.

I just bought 4 Years of Crashplan (20% Off currently, 151$ for the 4 years).  I installed the docker, then did the SSH tunnel and use the Mac GUI to create different Backup sets. 

It will take at least 6.9 months for my Biggest folder of about 6.5TB :)

I have around 10.5TB currently.  Will be a good off-site backup solution!

I do hope to get access to a faster than 10Mbps Upload speed so the backup will go faster...

Is there a way to bound crash plan to one cpu?  I have 2 CPUs and I want to run at 90% without crippling the whole server.  I am trying to speed up the initial upload to crash plan.

im sure there is a command line for docker to do that.. but you can go into the settings of crash plan and tell it how much cpu to use.

I guess my problem is crash plan is a CPU hog.  What I really need is a scheduler the that will allow me to give crash plan 90% CPU for specific hours of the day.  Like Midnight to 5am and Noon to 4pm.  I've looked at some of the properties files and I cannot see where those settings are held.  Anybody have a clue?

Thanks for this Docker.

I just bought 4 Years of Crashplan (20% Off currently, 151$ for the 4 years).  I installed the docker, then did the SSH tunnel and use the Mac GUI to create different Backup sets. 

It will take at least 6.9 months for my Biggest folder of about 6.5TB :)

I have around 10.5TB currently.  Will be a good off-site backup solution!

I do hope to get access to a faster than 10Mbps Upload speed so the backup will go faster...

what upload speed are you getting?  What hardware are you running? 

3,3Mbps.  My Internet can go up to 10.5Mbps. 

When I did a test before doing the real thing, I was able to upload at 10.2Mbps.  I did put a limit of CPU use of 75% for both away and present.  I use a Xeon E3-1240v3 (haswell) with 32GB Ram ECC.  Server is pretty powerful.

I guess my problem is crash plan is a CPU hog.  What I really need is a scheduler the that will allow me to give crash plan 90% CPU for specific hours of the day.  Like Midnight to 5am and Noon to 4pm.  I've looked at some of the properties files and I cannot see where those settings are held.  Anybody have a clue?

You should be able to set Crashplan for a time period when back-ups can occur. I use the windows client tunneled in through telnet and it works. Just set it up as you need. Just be careful if others set their back-ups for different times, they may never occur.