[CONTAINER] CrashPlan & CrashPlan-Desktop

Unless I stop Crashplan, Parity and Disk1 are constantly spinning.  In checking out my docker config and Crashplan config, I realized the appdata share had not been set to cache only and that, in fact, Crashplan program files were installed on Disk1/appdata with some files on Cache/appdata.  I removed the Crashplan container and files, ran a rmdir -r appdata on Disk1 to get rid of it completely on disk1, verified the appdata share was set to cache only and reinstalled the Crashplan container.  With Crashplan running, Parity and Disk1 continue to spin.  They will not spin down and stay spun down unless I stop Crashplan.

CrashPlan is setup per default config with /config set to /mnt/user/appdata/crahplan and /data set to /mnt/user.  What have I done wrong?

EDIT:  Since Crashplan was my only installed docker so far, I deleted it and the docker.img file. At least with Crashplan and docker completely gone, I can manually spin down disks and they stay spun down (Parity and Disk1 would spin back up with Crashplan installed).  I have no idea why Parity is spinning up in the first place since I am not writing to the array.  All disks eventually spun down per disk settings.  I"ll check all settings before reinstalling Crashplan docker.  I am first trying to eliminate everything else as the cause.

Where was your docker img? Now that you have gotten rid of everything, go to each of your disks and make sure nothing that you accidentally let move from cache is still on your array somewhere. Then you can try again. I just put docker img at /mnt/cache/docker.img. Mover won't touch files at the top level of cache, only folders that are not cache-only.

OK, I think I have this problem figured out and resolved.  It is related to this thread: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=39237.0

Somehow in the creating and configuration of the Crashplan container, I ended up with a user share called ":" that contained an empty /mnt/user directory structure.  That and the creation of appdata/Crashplan on disk1 kept disk1 and parity spinning as long as Crashplan was running.  Just removing the Crashplan docker and docker.img was not enough.  Once I cleaned up the mystery ":" share and recreated docker.img and Crashplan container, things appear to be working normally.  Crashplan is currently synchronizing block information, but, Parity and Disk1 are not spinning.

• 4 weeks later...

It seems that after a reboot I can no longer access Crashplan via the GUI to configure/monitor the status of what is going on.  Has anyone else ran into this? It is real annoying, but I know the Crashplan server is functioning as my clients are backing up to it without issue.

When I first noticed this problem it was early on. So I deleted my Crashplan docker and all configs for it. Sure enough rebooted and my Windows GUI once again would not communicate with it.

So then I got Crashplan installed configured, and I let it run for about 3 weeks no issues, GUI remained responsive, and all seemed well. Then Unraid released the new beta so I prepared for another Reboot which I knew would kill it.  Sure enough, unraid is updated, docker is running and accepting incoming backups, but my GUI client is still not able to connect to the server.

On the Windows client side I have uninstalled and deleted all configs for Crashplan before installing again but it still never establishes its connection.

I double checked the ui.properties file on my Windows PC and it remains configured with my unraid IP address.  GUI Client continues to say it can't connect to the backup engine. I can't say this for sure as it has been a few weeks, but I'm fairly sure that when I specify reboot it, that means rebooting either unraid or my Windows PC would cause the client to never connect again. So it basically seems that I can only initialize the GUI client one time and it remains functional until its forced to reconnect at a later time.

It seems that after a reboot I can no longer access Crashplan via the GUI to configure/monitor the status of what is going on.  Has anyone else ran into this? It is real annoying, but I know the Crashplan server is functioning as my clients are backing up to it without issue.

When I first noticed this problem it was early on. So I deleted my Crashplan docker and all configs for it. Sure enough rebooted and my Windows GUI once again would not communicate with it.

So then I got Crashplan installed configured, and I let it run for about 3 weeks no issues, GUI remained responsive, and all seemed well. Then Unraid released the new beta so I prepared for another Reboot which I knew would kill it.  Sure enough, unraid is updated, docker is running and accepting incoming backups, but my GUI client is still not able to connect to the server.

On the Windows client side I have uninstalled and deleted all configs for Crashplan before installing again but it still never establishes its connection.

I double checked the ui.properties file on my Windows PC and it remains configured with my unraid IP address.  GUI Client continues to say it can't connect to the backup engine. I can't say this for sure as it has been a few weeks, but I'm fairly sure that when I specify reboot it, that means rebooting either unraid or my Windows PC would cause the client to never connect again. So it basically seems that I can only initialize the GUI client one time and it remains functional until its forced to reconnect at a later time.

I made some notes about my settings the last time I was able to fix my problems:

Modify the "ui.properties" file on your client machine:

#Fri Dec 09 09:50:22 CST 2005
serviceHost=192.168.1.101		<----- unRAID IP
servicePort=4243		<-----
#pollerPeriod=1000  # 1 second
#connectRetryDelay=10000  # 10 seconds
#connectRetryAttempts=3
#showWelcome=true

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=33864.0

Modify the "my.service.xml" file on your host machine:

<serviceUIConfig>
    <serviceHost>0.0.0.0</serviceHost>	<-----
    <servicePort>4243</servicePort>	<-----
    <connectCheck>0</connectCheck>

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=33864.45

But when I check my current setup servicePort=4243 is set to #servicePort=4243

Note that I am not using SSH.

BTW, why not try the Crashplan Docker GUI?  ;)

If you have uninstalled and reinstalled the client on your Windows PC you will probably need to reauthorize yourself by login again. Don’t be surprised if Crashplan does a deep scan after login, this can take some time.

I wasn't aware that a docker gui was now available. I would much rather not have a windows system managing the GUI. Is this included in the default install or do I need to do some searches to find this additional docker?

It's an additional container on my repository.

I wasn't aware that a docker gui was now available. I would much rather not have a windows system managing the GUI. Is this included in the default install or do I need to do some searches to find this additional docker?

Wow, I'm not sure how I missed this!

I want to try it out, but I've been reviewing the code:

https://github.com/gfjardim/docker-containers/tree/master/crashplan-desktop

and it seems like it stores everything inside the Docker container?

Would you considering setting it up a little more like the standard crashplan:

https://github.com/gfjardim/docker-containers/blob/master/crashplan/config.sh

so we don't have to adopt the account and re-synchronize every time the docker changes?

Wow, I'm not sure how I missed this!

I want to try it out, but I've been reviewing the code:

https://github.com/gfjardim/docker-containers/tree/master/crashplan-desktop

and it seems like it stores everything inside the Docker container?

Would you considering setting it up a little more like the standard crashplan:

https://github.com/gfjardim/docker-containers/blob/master/crashplan/config.sh

so we don't have to adopt the account and re-synchronize every time the docker changes?

That's just the GUI. There's no backup service running into it.

I'm currently on v5 and thinking of upgrading to v6 and one of the major concerns is migrating my CrashPlan install.  I have other computers that back up to my unRAID's CrashPlan, and I don't want to lose all that file revision history.  The backups are stored on my array.  Is it possible to install this docker implementation, tell it to backup to my existing folder, and have the clients carry on like nothing happened?

I tried to search through the thread and didn't find anything, hopefully I didn't miss it.

I'm currently on v5 and thinking of upgrading to v6 and one of the major concerns is migrating my CrashPlan install.  I have other computers that back up to my unRAID's CrashPlan, and I don't want to lose all that file revision history.  The backups are stored on my array.  Is it possible to install this docker implementation, tell it to backup to my existing folder, and have the clients carry on like nothing happened?

I tried to search through the thread and didn't find anything, hopefully I didn't miss it.

This can be done but you need to be a bit careful. As long as you have set

“Remove deleted files”

under

“Backup Frequency and Variations Settings”

to

“Never”

your files on CrashPlan Central will stay where they are. You are mentioning that backups are stored on your array as well so it’s hard to know your configuration in detail.

However as long as CrashPlan finds files that already are backed up it will not back them up again.

Suggest you search the support pages at CrashPlan, there is a lot of information there even if it’s a bit hard to navigate. Look for transferring ChrashPlan between computers and stuff like that.

This can be done but you need to be a bit careful. As long as you have set

“Remove deleted files”

under

“Backup Frequency and Variations Settings”

to

“Never”

your files on CrashPlan Central will stay where they are. You are mentioning that backups are stored on your array as well so it’s hard to know your configuration in detail.

However as long as CrashPlan finds files that already are backed up it will not back them up again.

Suggest you search the support pages at CrashPlan, there is a lot of information there even if it’s a bit hard to navigate. Look for transferring ChrashPlan between computers and stuff like that.

It's not really that backups are stored on the array "as well," it's just the only place they're stored.  Other computers in the house backup to CrashPlan on the unRAID server, which stores those backups in a user share on the protected disk array.  Pretty straightforward.  The unRAID server doesn't do any backing up of its own, it's strictly a destination.

There's good information on the CrashPlan site for "adopting" a computer you back up from when changing machines, but nothing about what happens when you change the machine you're backing up to.  Even though I don't do any backing up from my unRAID machine, I guess my best bet would be to have the unRAID Docker CrashPlan instance adopt the current (empty) standalone instance and hope all the other machines figure out that their destination machine has changed.

I can contact CrashPlan support for guidance.  Does the CrashPlan Docker instance allow you to set the backup target folder to be on the main protected array, or is it completely sandboxed?

Thanks for explaining! Haven’t tried this myself but would expect that it’s only a matter of setting up the correct backup folders where your data already is stored before you actually start the backup.

When you are using Docker nothing should be stored inside the Docker container so you setup both the location where CrashPlan stores its configuration files and backup folders on your array. Suggestion is to use the cache drive (if you have one) for the configuration files. If you use the cache drive make sure the share (in my case Apps) is set to

Use cache disk: Only

. Included my mappings.

Mappings.png.40e2660c3d78dc84235589ccba7c5b7c.png

Is it possible to install this docker implementation, tell it to backup to my existing folder, and have the clients carry on like nothing happened?

It seems like this would work...

Load your current Crashplan interface and go to Destinations -> Folders to see where your local backups are currently stored.  Pass that folder as a new volume to Docker, and then go to that same screen in the Docker version of Crashplan and configure it to use that folder. 

Thanks to this topic I became aware of the crashplan gui docker which I just installed - works like a charm  ;D

So thanks, gfjardim and SparklyBalls!

Edit: Well, seems like I was too quick to celebrate. After a restart, it no longer works - won't login to the ubuntu session hosting the Crashplan Desktop application. Will have to revisit settings to figure this out.

Resolution: There was a very logical "gotcha" behind it. I had changed the password for the ubuntu session that hosts the crashplan-desktop application. At some point I had - afterwards - fiddled with the settings for the docker. That initiates a re-fetch of the docker - which in turn reinstates the original password.

• 2 weeks later...

I have this process running and consuming 10% of my cpu at all times. I found it to be from the Crashplan-Desktop docker.

Is this expected and is anyone else seeing this as well?

2671 root      20  0 23104 3672 3064 S  16  0.0  0:01.48 /bin/bash /etc/my_init.d/config.sh

I have this process running and consuming 10% of my cpu at all times. I found it to be from the Crashplan-Desktop docker.

Is this expected and is anyone else seeing this as well?

2671 root      20  0 23104 3672 3064 S  16  0.0  0:01.48 /bin/bash /etc/my_init.d/config.sh

I haven't been seeing it. But I start up the docker when I need it, then stop it when I'm done. Is there a reason you need to keep it running?

I haven't been seeing it. But I start up the docker when I need it, then stop it when I'm done. Is there a reason you need to keep it running?

I do the same, there's no need I can see to keep the desktop app running all the time.

Hey just wondering if this was going to be updated for 4.2 looking at the install. It looks like it is still pulling from 3.7.

JAVACOMMON=`which java`

# Downloading Crashplan
wget -nv http://download.code42.com/installs/linux/install/CrashPlan/CrashPlan_3.7.0_Linux.tgz -O - | tar -zx -C /tmp

# Installation directory

Wondering if the new link can be added?

http://download.code42.com/installs/linux/install/CrashPlan/CrashPlan_4.2.0_Linux.tgz

I installed this docker and the desktop mate. I set it to backup my user share, as recommended. The problem I have is the time it is going to take to upload everything. I even contacted Crashplan about how much space I can use and they said as much as I want with the plan I have. As long as it is residential and not coming from 100 IP addresses and stuff like that. Ok good. Slam it all up in the cloud, but there is 19TB of it. Crashplan uploader indicates it will take 1.2 years to finish the upload. What are other users doing? I can't see this as a reality to upload 19TB, so I will of course have to take out some selections in the data folder. Yea it would be real nice to have all my stuff in the CP cloud, but in reality it will never finish. What is the defacto out there regarding if you have that much data? I also have %60 of the CPU power being used %100. Mind you it is only a Duo Core 2.66Ghz with 8GB memory. That normal?

This was my first docker ever setup. Just stepping into the docker world and there's just so much to read! Thank god for the automation process. It installed fine and I was able to connect to the box via RDP on the first shot. Thanks for making this docker.

EDIT:

I noticed this Crashplan docker made another mount point called /mnt/user0 which looks like a complete mirror of all my user shares. I'm guessing they are all symbolic links or something, since they can't be real files. Everytime I reboot, I have to change the VSFTP settings so I can log in with FTP. Sometimes it is nicer then Midnight Commander via the command line. I also never configured anything to create /mnt/user0 , does anyone else see this with this docker?

Thanks.

I'm purely using it on my LAN to backup our laptops and my desktop to my Unraid box.  Hadn't realised $5 a month buys unlimited storage though, but as I'm in the UK, I suspect it would take me a similar amount of time to upload my data too.

What's your connection speed?

Only thing I can think of is if you can somehow upload your data disk by disk somewhere where there is a faster upload speed.

I'm purely using it on my LAN to backup our laptops and my desktop to my Unraid box.  Hadn't realised $5 a month buys unlimited storage though, but as I'm in the UK, I suspect it would take me a similar amount of time to upload my data too.

What's your connection speed?

Only thing I can think of is if you can somehow upload your data disk by disk somewhere where there is a faster upload speed.

My connection speed is 250Mbit down and only 25Mbit up. Not good at math, but I suspect because of the low upload speed that's the problem. Well, not really a problem but reality of my connection speeds. And of course it will never max out of 25Mbit anyway. I just may remove the Crashplan docker all together since prior to setting this up I had kind of like a folder mirror schedule to move files from my unraid box to my PC/External Drive, then used Crashplan to backup those files. Crashplan always had issues with network shares from the last time I checked.

You have a challenge in front of you if you would like to backup all your data to CrashPlan! Your main problem will not be your bandwidth (but it will take time for sure) but the way this service works.

The data you backup is encrypted, compressed and reduced by data deduplication.  Encryption and compressions doesn’t take much resources but data deduplication do. That’s why you have high CPU load. Data deduplication compares your backup data with all data you previously backed up to CrashPlan. In reality when you start your backup you will have a good upload speed but the more data you have backed up the slower it will be.

I suggest you Google data deduplication and CrashPlan for a day or two(!) and also make sure to check the CrashPlan support pages. This is a hot topic…

You should also be aware that CrashPlan recommends 1 GB memory for each 1 TB of data you have. Even if you add memory you need to reconfigure CrashPlan to use it. The reason for the memory usage is that CrashPlan rescans all your files to make sure that everything gets backed up.