[CONTAINER] CrashPlan & CrashPlan-Desktop

Are there plans to update to 4.2? I recently moved from a windows server that I had backed up with CrashPlan 4.2 to unRAID and now I can't restore any of those backups due to the version difference. I just see the error "Unable to restore due to a backup archive cryptography key error." which the problem/solution seems to be directly related to the version. I know I can restore to another machine and copy the files over - but that's a bit painful.

http://support.code42.com/Administrator/4/Troubleshooting/Unable_To_Restore_Due_To_Backup_Archive_Cryptography_Key_Error

Just a note to your /mnt/user0 question, this is not created by the docker but by unRaid itself.

/mnt/user shows all your shares including the files still in the cache share

/mnt/user0 only has the files/folders that are on the array.

But unRaid created that user0 folder because of the Crashplan docker install? It wasn't there prior.

You have a challenge in front of you if you would like to backup all your data to CrashPlan! Your main problem will not be your bandwidth (but it will take time for sure) but the way this service works.

The data you backup is encrypted, compressed and reduced by data deduplication.  Encryption and compressions doesn’t take much resources but data deduplication do. That’s why you have high CPU load. Data deduplication compares your backup data with all data you previously backed up to CrashPlan. In reality when you start your backup you will have a good upload speed but the more data you have backed up the slower it will be.

I suggest you Google data deduplication and CrashPlan for a day or two(!) and also make sure to check the CrashPlan support pages. This is a hot topic…

You should also be aware that CrashPlan recommends 1 GB memory for each 1 TB of data you have. Even if you add memory you need to reconfigure CrashPlan to use it. The reason for the memory usage is that CrashPlan rescans all your files to make sure that everything gets backed up.

After some re-configuring and de-selections the upload time dropped to 4.4 months. Crashplan never deletes, so here we go for the long haul. :)

I really can't wait to start building a new box. Seeing the need for more CPU power and RAM with unRaid is usually not in the same sentence. Can still be used as a "lite" box, but can certainly be used as a heavy weight now.

Just a note to your /mnt/user0 question, this is not created by the docker but by unRaid itself.

/mnt/user shows all your shares including the files still in the cache share

/mnt/user0 only has the files/folders that are on the array.

But unRaid created that user0 folder because of the Crashplan docker install? It wasn't there prior.

Nope, has nothing to do with CrashPlan. Would guess it’s created if you install a cash drive.

You have a challenge in front of you if you would like to backup all your data to CrashPlan! Your main problem will not be your bandwidth (but it will take time for sure) but the way this service works.

The data you backup is encrypted, compressed and reduced by data deduplication.  Encryption and compressions doesn’t take much resources but data deduplication do. That’s why you have high CPU load. Data deduplication compares your backup data with all data you previously backed up to CrashPlan. In reality when you start your backup you will have a good upload speed but the more data you have backed up the slower it will be.

I suggest you Google data deduplication and CrashPlan for a day or two(!) and also make sure to check the CrashPlan support pages. This is a hot topic…

You should also be aware that CrashPlan recommends 1 GB memory for each 1 TB of data you have. Even if you add memory you need to reconfigure CrashPlan to use it. The reason for the memory usage is that CrashPlan rescans all your files to make sure that everything gets backed up.

After some re-configuring and de-selections the upload time dropped to 4.4 months. Crashplan never deletes, so here we go for the long haul. :)

I really can't wait to start building a new box. Seeing the need for more CPU power and RAM with unRaid is usually not in the same sentence. Can still be used as a "lite" box, but can certainly be used as a heavy weight now.

Great! Pls. keep us posted on progress  ::)

4.4 months, that'll fly by  :o

4.4 months, that'll fly by  :o

It is not practical really and not having enough memory has made me currently re-think the Crashplan docker for now and removed it for now. Going to setup my docker.img file again and appdata folder again to make sure as trul would say CACHE ONLY. :)

Hello,

first sorry for my bad englisch.

I need your help. I have installed Crashplan via Docker on my unraid system. It will be shown as running but I can't connect from my normal PC to the crashplan application.

The settings in the file ui.properties where made an the antivirus on the pc where shut off.

Thanks for your help.

Chris

Hello,

I need your help. I have installed Crashplan via Docker on my unraid system. It will be shown as running but I can't connect from my normal PC to the crashplan application.

The settings in the file ui.properties where made an the antivirus on the pc where shut off.

Thanks for your help.

Chris

Have a look here at #153 for the settings:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=33864.msg372747#msg372747

You can also use the CrashPlan GUI that is avaliable as a Docker.

I'm probably missing something obvious here, but once the GUI Docker is installed and running, how do I use it?

Thanks!

- TD

Do you have both the CrashPlan Docker container and the CrashPlan GUI Docker container installed? CrashPlan is a server/client setup where the server runs on unRAID and the client can run on either a desktop PC or on unRAID.

Do you have both the CrashPlan Docker container and the CrashPlan GUI Docker container installed? CrashPlan is a server/client setup where the server runs on unRAID and the client can run on either a desktop PC or on unRAID.

Yes, I have both installed, and I have been using CP without the GUI Docker for a while without difficulties. Just curious if it would be more convenient not to have to use the Windows client to connect to the unRAID engine. (I can connect to the unRAID CP engine from a Windows system as usual.)

Yes, I have both installed, and I have been using CP without the GUI Docker for a while without difficulties. Just curious if it would be more convenient not to have to use the Windows client to connect to the unRAID engine. (I can connect to the unRAID CP engine from a Windows system as usual.)

Well, it doesn’t really matter I would say, it’s the same Java app. Only thing that I can think of is if you are going to do a restore to your Windows machine rather than to unRAID. Would guess that is best done with the Windows client.

Hello,

Thanks for your help.

Chris

Have a look here at #153 for the settings:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=33864.msg372747#msg372747

You can also use the CrashPlan GUI that is avaliable as a Docker.

Thanks for your help, now it is running.

I had forgotten to change the  "my.service.xml" file

If you already have Crashplan on your other machines it is easiest to just install the Crashplan docker MATE GUI. You just connect to it via RDP on port 3389. It uses ubuntu and has been a pleasure to use.

Thanks, Opentoe.

What do you mean by "RDP"? I have tried using NoMachine for a desktop connection, but it has failed to connect.

- TD

Once you install the main Crashplan docker and the Crashplan docker mate you can connect to the MATE/GUI via Windows Remote Desktop. Once you load Windows Remote Desktop input the connection info. As with mine, it would be 192.168.1.120:3389. Then it will prompt you for a username and password. The username is 'ubuntu' and the password is 'PASSWD'. Since I installed the Crashplan MATE docker I didn't have to fool around with editing files or taking over my Windows desktop GUI. Well worth to install the MATE docker in my opinion.

Nice work - THANK YOU - ... after moving to keeping all my files not on a WHS, but on unraid I jumped through some hoops to force the network mounts for crashplan on the WHS.  This worked until one day it didn't... and my crashplan online reverted to a zero file-size!  ouch.  I have been trying to use a ubuntu VM to host crashplan, but have been having problems with stability between RC upgrades.

Backing up my most import files now, then will add my less import files to the repository.

My notes (collected throughout the threads): 

Unraid Crashplan Docker

https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=33864.0

/Docker/Config/ui.properties

serviceHost=192.168.1.122

servicePort=4243

note: serviceHost is the static IP of unraid server

note: Make Sure to Un-comment the 2 settings above

if you want to use the UI without ssh you need to modify my.service.xml in your appdata\crashplan\conf change it from 127.0.0.1 to 0.0.0.0  not required with the Mate Gui Crashplan Docker

Unraid Mate Gui Crashplan Docker

note: Do not install until running the configured Crashplan docker

note: Only run when needed, then close the docker.  The GUI is very CPU intensive

192.168.1.122:3389

RDP via windows/remmina

user:  ubuntu

pass:  PASSWD

note:  when using remmina (800x600, 24 bit color), sometime the GUI session will stop allowing XDP logins.  When this occurs, stopping the GUI docker and restarting it appears to work great.

https://registry.hub.docker.com/u/gfjardim/crashplan-desktop/

http://support.code42.com/CrashPlan/Latest/Configuring/Using_CrashPlan_On_A_Headless_Computer

Wanted to say my Docker Crashplan has been working good! I have only 1 more day until the upload finishes. It was over 500GB and I throttled the upload also, but it has been steady and working as expected. My most useful Docker by far. I'd like to try them all!

just restarted server so that I could upgrade from rc2 to rc5...

and now when I start GUI crashplan says that it is unable to connect to the engine.

Any advice?

ui.properties retained the 2 line changes.

So you are running the Crashplan client from another computer other than your unRaid server?

After I upgraded to RC6, I ran the GUI mate and Crashplain puts up a notice at the top asking me if I want to "adopt" the currently saved files to this computer. You can either adopt or just close that box. Took more then a week to upload all my important stuff, so I'm hesitant to do anything. I just closed that box and nothing happened. Everything looks normal and the GUI indicates all my files are there in the cloud. Does upgrading to RC6 make Crashplan think it is a new computer or something?

just restarted server so that I could upgrade from rc2 to rc5...

and now when I start GUI crashplan says that it is unable to connect to the engine.

Any advice?

ui.properties retained the 2 line changes.

Had that as well - just removed and reinstalled the GUI mate docker and all was fine again.