[PLUGIN DEPRECATED] VM Manager (2015.02.24)

dmacias

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dmacias - Is using the VNC different from using remote desktop (RDP)? on my Win 8.1 KVM which has GPU passthrough I regularly use MS RDP from another Windows machine. I assume a similar option maybe available using XRDP in Linux env. Can this function in lieu of the VNC or is there more functionality in using a VNC compared to this RDP?

Is there any way to have a discrete graphics card passthrough and still have VNC access to the VM at a bios level?  It would really help with troubleshooting my VM's remotely.  Currently having a "Disk check" issue with my VM that I was hoping to not have to redo the XML in order to troubleshoot it remotely.

No there's no way to have both. However you could edit your xml. Copy the content and paste in as a new xml. Then change the uuid by one number/letter and remove the passthrough.  Then you would have 2 separate vm's pointing to the same image and you could run one or the other when needed.

Also have you run qemu-img check on the image?

dmacias - Is using the VNC different from using remote desktop (RDP)? on my Win 8.1 KVM which has GPU passthrough I regularly use MS RDP from another Windows machine. I assume a similar option maybe available using XRDP in Linux env. Can this function in lieu of the VNC or is there more functionality in using a VNC compared to this RDP?

Is there any way to have a discrete graphics card passthrough and still have VNC access to the VM at a bios level?  It would really help with troubleshooting my VM's remotely.  Currently having a "Disk check" issue with my VM that I was hoping to not have to redo the XML in order to troubleshoot it remotely.

No there's no way to have both. However you could edit your xml. Copy the content and paste in as a new xml. Then change the uuid by one number/letter and remove the passthrough.  Then you would have 2 separate vm's pointing to the same image and you could run one or the other when needed.

Also have you run qemu-img check on the image?

Vnc allows you to connect to the console and desktop except when passing through video. You need a desktop for rdp. The novnc in the plugin is web based and uses websockets to connect. Most web based rdp clients need activex or some other type of web server.  I have looked a little but haven't found a free web based rdp client that I can use. If you or someone knows of one I'll try to add it in.

I noticed earlier you mentioned that a way to do backups was on your to-do list. Have you given this any extra thought?

I was thinking of maybe creating incremental rolling backups of my images with rdiff-backup, but it doesn't look like there is a readily available unraid plugin for it. WeeboTech's rsync_linked_backup script may also work, but it doesn't look like it includes backup expiration so I would have to manually remove old backups.

Just curious how you would tackle automatic backups of entire qcow2 images.

So I would like to add a password to my VNC sessions like so passwd='123'

Every time I enter it like this:

<graphics type='vnc' port='-1' autoport='yes' websocket='-1' listen='0.0.0.0' passwd='123'>
      <listen type='address' address='0.0.0.0'/>
    </graphics>

It does not save. Any thoughts on what I am doing wrong?

EDIT:

Also, a nice future feature would be a spot to enter a VNC password as you are creating a new VM  ;)

I noticed earlier you mentioned that a way to do backups was on your to-do list. Have you given this any extra thought?

I was thinking of maybe creating incremental rolling backups of my images with rdiff-backup, but it doesn't look like there is a readily available unraid plugin for it. WeeboTech's rsync_linked_backup script may also work, but it doesn't look like it includes backup expiration so I would have to manually remove old backups.

My plan was to add another table above snapshots and allow multiple cloning of the image to a folder of choice probably using rsync. But I really wasn't looking at automatic right now. Just manual. But I'm open to ideas on how automatic should work and look. Which could also lead to automatic snapshots.

But really I try to keep in mind to try and keep things simple.

So I would like to add a password to my VNC sessions like so passwd='123'

Every time I enter it like this:

<graphics type='vnc' port='-1' autoport='yes' websocket='-1' listen='0.0.0.0' passwd='123'>
      <listen type='address' address='0.0.0.0'/>
    </graphics>

It does not save. Any thoughts on what I am doing wrong?

EDIT:

Also, a nice future feature would be a spot to enter a VNC password as you are creating a new VM  ;)

This was discussed several pages back or in another thread. But I don't remember what the conclusion was.  Did you try connecting with the password after you edited and saved? Even though it didn't show under re-edit, I think it still worked.  I'll check it out again.

Yes, It does work. I thought I tried that already... Anyhow I suppose it's better that it doesn't save the password in plain text.

I think it might not work on reboot of unRAID or the vm. I can add password  in create vm.

So you think the password will not survive an unRAID reboot?

I haven't had time to look for the posts  from before or test.  But I think it may have been a reboot of the vm but an unRAID reboot would reboot the vm also.

Yes, It does work. I thought I tried that already... Anyhow I suppose it's better that it doesn't save the password in plain text.

I think it might not work on reboot of unRAID or the vm. I can add password  in create vm.

It works after reboot of unRAID and vm. I added password option to the Create tab. I would like to add it to the main page so you can change the password later but I'm not sure where.

It works after reboot of unRAID and vm. I added password option to the Create tab. I would like to add it to the main page so you can change the password later but I'm not sure where.

I can also confirm that the password survives an unRAID reboot. Thanks for adding the password box. Maybe you could add the change password box to the detail information when you click on the name of a VM?

dmacias - That would be great. Selecting a location and backup frequency (eg days) would be very welcome. However if the VM needs to be stopped before taking a snapshot would introduce some uncertainty and confusion I guess.

My plan was to add another table above snapshots and allow multiple cloning of the image to a folder of choice probably using rsync. But I really wasn't looking at automatic right now. Just manual. But I'm open to ideas on how automatic should work and look. Which could also lead to automatic snapshots.

But really I try to keep in mind to try and keep things simple.

I have updated to 2015.01.29 - at the first glance everything works very well  :D

When I try to make a snapshot (VM running) I get:

Warning: libvirt_domain_snapshot_create(): operation failed: Error -22 while writing VM in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.kvm.manager/classes/libvirt.php on line 1345

Snapshots with VMs stopped work fine!

Any idea?

I have updated to 2015.01.29 - at the first glance everything works very well  :D

When I try to make a snapshot (VM running) I get:

Warning: libvirt_domain_snapshot_create(): operation failed: Error -22 while writing VM in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.kvm.manager/classes/libvirt.php on line 1345

Snapshots with VMs stopped work fine!

Any idea?

I bet the vm is a q35 machine type. I just tested and get the same error. I haven't been happy with the libvirt snapshot. Let me try converting to using qemu-img instead.

Edit: After further testing and reading I don't believe a live snapshot works with q35.  However like you noticed if it's stopped it works.  I'll disable snapshots while q35 vm's are running.

How can a delete VM folders that no longer contain the KVM xml and qcow2 files? I delete the KVM xml from the web gui then browse to where the qcow2 file is saved and delete it and the folder. The folder however likes to come back and stay. My VM folder is getting pretty cluttered...

How are you deleting them? Is the directory empty when it comes back? The only time a directory is created is when you create a vm.

How can a delete VM folders that no longer contain the KVM xml and qcow2 files? I delete the KVM xml from the web gui then browse to where the qcow2 file is saved and delete it and the folder. The folder however likes to come back and stay. My VM folder is getting pretty cluttered...

How are you deleting them? Is the directory empty when it comes back? The only time a directory is created is when you create a vm.

Deleting the files through windows and the folders are empty.

Deleting the files through windows and the folders are empty.

It's probably permissions. I tried creating a bunch of vm's and was able to delete everything through windows and linux smb. And no zombie folders. You should be able to delete them through the terminal.

Edit: I'll add a button to completely remove folder and image.

6. In the devices tab a have an usb device which I want to pass through to the VM. But it seems to be the only device that doesn't show up in the 'create VM' USB passthrough list. :(

6. Justin mentioned a usb problem also. His was undefined usb while the Tools devices page shows it right. I'll look into that too.

Hey! I just tried to install the VM again. Fist off: great job on restructuring the plugin, looks much nicer now!

I can now select my usb device in the list but when I try to create the VM with this one activated I get this error:

cannot parse vendor id 0x 001 Devi

The Device shows as 'Bus 001 Device 002: ID 14f7:0500 TechniSat Digital GmbH DVB-PC TV Star HD'

How can I fix this?

Thanks!

edit: as I looked at the HTML code of the website this seems odd to me:

<input class="checkbox" type="checkbox" value=" 001 Devi" name="usb[6]" /><label>Bus 001 Device 002: ID 14f7:0500 TechniSat Digital GmbH DVB-PC TV Star HD</label>

It seems like there is somethin cut off. This is the same for all checkboxes...

edit2: I managed to get it to work using firebug. (inserted the right ID)

I had trouble using spaces in the VM-name though, maybe you want to check for that on creation of the VM :)

6. In the devices tab a have an usb device which I want to pass through to the VM. But it seems to be the only device that doesn't show up in the 'create VM' USB passthrough list. :(

6. Justin mentioned a usb problem also. His was undefined usb while the Tools devices page shows it right. I'll look into that too.

Hey! I just tried to install the VM again. Fist off: great job on restructuring the plugin, looks much nicer now!

I can now select my usb device in the list but when I try to create the VM with this one activated I get this error:

cannot parse vendor id 0x 001 Devi

The Device shows as 'Bus 001 Device 002: ID 14f7:0500 TechniSat Digital GmbH DVB-PC TV Star HD'

How can I fix this?

Thanks!

edit: as I looked at the HTML code of the website this seems odd to me:

<input class="checkbox" type="checkbox" value=" 001 Devi" name="usb[6]" /><label>Bus 001 Device 002: ID 14f7:0500 TechniSat Digital GmbH DVB-PC TV Star HD</label>

It seems like there is somethin cut off. This is the same for all checkboxes...

edit2: I managed to get it to work using firebug. (inserted the right ID)

I had trouble using spaces in the VM-name though, maybe you want to check for that on creation of the VM :)

Thanks I see where the problem is with the usb and I already fixed the space problem. I'll update.

The passwords feature is a great addition, although not one I need (at the moment) but is there any way to connect via the Web-VNC without having to send a blank password.

If I click send password with a blank password, then I can connect fine, but the pop-up box doesn't disappear.  Not a massive problem but I can't seem to work out how to close it without disconnecting.

The passwords feature is a great addition, although not one I need (at the moment) but is there any way to connect via the Web-VNC without having to send a blank password.

If I click send password with a blank password, then I can connect fine, but the pop-up box doesn't disappear.  Not a massive problem but I can't seem to work out how to close it without disconnecting.

I see what you saying.  I found the problem and will update tonight with the other fixes.

• trurl unpinned this topic