[PLUGIN DEPRECATED] VM Manager (2015.02.24)

dmacias

Think it is not working when choosing to Create a New Disk. Using an Existing Disk does work. It is odd though as choosing to Create a New Disk does create the sub-folder and qcow2 image but doesn't finish creating the VM nor do I get a confirmation message or any errors in the creation process.

Gary

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think it is not working when choosing to Create a New Disk. Using an Existing Disk does work. It is odd though as choosing to Create a New Disk does create the sub-folder and qcow2 image but doesn't finish creating the VM nor do I get a confirmation message or any errors in the creation process.

Gary

Have you run a vm yet? Do you have virtualization on in the bios?  No message means there was an error creating the vm but some don't show using libvirt last error. But with error reporting on they show up all over the screen. Next update I'll have to add a check box for debugging. 

I have a VM that just stopped working, though I don't know what I did. When I try to start it, the webGUI simply says Error at the bottom of the screen. I click on the Log and all I get is

Dec 24 02:09:07 StrongBad kernel: device vnet0 entered promiscuous mode
Dec 24 02:09:07 StrongBad kernel: br0: port 3(vnet0) entered listening state
Dec 24 02:09:07 StrongBad avahi-daemon[3213]: Withdrawing workstation service for vnet0.
Dec 24 02:09:07 StrongBad kernel: br0: port 3(vnet0) entered disabled state
Dec 24 02:09:07 StrongBad kernel: device vnet0 left promiscuous mode

I've tried rebooting the server, destroying and recreating the machine, but nothing helps. Any ideas? Can I get more detailed log info somewhere?

I would probably class this as a bug.

I created an empty machine, i.e. no install iso was defined so there was nothing to boot from. The disk and xml were created with no error but then the empty machine was started. Only force domain to shutdown would stop it.

If there is no install iso defined and create disk is selected would it not be better to just create the machine and not start the domain.

Kevin.

I just created a new VM (with create new disk option) and did not see this issue.  When I clicked the button to create the VM, the form came back empty.  I then went to the Virtual Machines tab, the newly created VM was there.

Maybe others are having permissions issue at the vm datastore location?

John

Yeah, I have 4 VM's created now and have run all of them. I've done about 10 total in testing. I've had a couple of xml errors due to bad paths to an ISO image but no other problems during the creation by Add XML tab.

Thanks again.

I have a VM that just stopped working, though I don't know what I did. When I try to start it, the webGUI simply says Error at the bottom of the screen. I click on the Log and all I get is

Dec 24 02:09:07 StrongBad kernel: device vnet0 entered promiscuous mode
Dec 24 02:09:07 StrongBad avahi-daemon[3213]: Withdrawing workstation service for vnet0.
Dec 24 02:09:07 StrongBad kernel: device vnet0 left promiscuous mode

I've tried rebooting the server, destroying and recreating the machine, but nothing helps. Any ideas? Can I get more detailed log info somewhere?

I added a Settings tab with a debug checkbox.  It will show all php errors on the screen.

I created an empty machine, i.e. no install iso was defined so there was nothing to boot from. The disk and xml were created with no error but then the empty machine was started. Only force domain to shutdown would stop it.

If there is no install iso defined and create disk is selected would it not be better to just create the machine and not start the domain.

Kevin.

Thats an easy enough fix. Thanks for the feedback

New error on KVM page after updating the plugin.

Warning: parse_ini_file(/boot/config/domain.cfg): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix/include/DefaultPageLayout.php(274) : eval()'d code on line 8

Kevin

Me too.

The file /boot/config/domain.cfg doesn't exist on my machine. Don't know how it is supposed to get created.

Same error for me.

Warning: parse_ini_file(/boot/config/domain.cfg): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix/include/DefaultPageLayout.php(274) : eval()'d code on line 8

Kevin

Me too.

The file /boot/config/domain.cfg doesn't exist on my machine. Don't know how it is supposed to get created.

Sorry it was late. It should be created if you just go to the settings tab and hit apply. I'll fix so it's created if it doesn't exist.

Same error for me.

Kevin

Edit: trurl noted what I missed out.

Kevin.

Thats an easy enough fix. Thanks for the feedback

Fixed my special moment.

installed update and the error is gone, but when I make changes to the default locations, then save, I get a 404 error :(

**Also, the Storage tab is empty

Maybe try removing then reinstalling the plugin. Or refresh your browser cache or something. There shouldn't be a  storage tab.

installed update and the error is gone, but when I make changes to the default locations, then save, I get a 404 error :(

Maybe try removing then reinstalling the plugin. Or refresh your browser cache or something. There shouldn't be a  storage tab.

refreshing browser cache didn't work, but removing and reinstalling plugin did work.

thanks again for everything!

d....

You have to be the hardest working plugin developer I have ever seen!  We all greatly appreciate your hard work and especially your quick responses!

not to mention making an awesome plugin.  :)

John

Thanks for the kinda words.

refreshing browser cache didn't work, but removing and reinstalling plugin did work.

thanks again for everything!

Thanks I'll check it out anyway.  The plugin should remove emhttp plugin folder then update.

This is really just a "nice to have" and should get very low priority.

Under the newly created Settings tab...

Is it possible to have the option of configuring an external VNC viewer?  Better yet...the option to configure an external viewer and if that viewer is not found on the local system, the webviewer would be launched.

Call me lazy...  :)

John

Thanks dmacias, this plugin is amazing. Thanks to the new error reporting I was able to figure out what happened (the combination of a typo as I was changing the XML file and a formatting error I made during modifications). I'm happily up and running now.

The plugin is a little wonky though. The error information just splatters across the top of the Virtual Machines tab, rather than appearing under Information in the Settings tab.

Also, I was trying to set a VNC password and this is not working. It worked under the old plugin. When I add passwd='YOUR-PASSWORD-HERE' and click save, if I immediately open the VM it works and requires the password, but it is not retained on subsequent uses of the VM. It's also wiped out if I edit the XML settings. I know the password isn't really secure since it's sitting in plain text, but the built in screen sharing program on Mac OS X seems to require a password to work, and it has much better integration and features than 3rd party VNC clients.

Thanks dmacias, this plugin is amazing. Thanks to the new error reporting I was able to figure out what happened (the combination of a typo as I was changing the XML file and a formatting error I made during modifications). I'm happily up and running now.

The plugin is a little wonky though. The error information just splatters across the top of the Virtual Machines tab, rather than appearing under Information in the Settings tab.

Also, I was trying to set a VNC password and this is not working. It worked under the old plugin. When I add passwd='YOUR-PASSWORD-HERE' and click save, if I immediately open the VM it works and requires the password, but it is not retained on subsequent uses of the VM. It's also wiped out if I edit the XML settings. I know the password isn't really secure since it's sitting in plain text, but the built in screen sharing program on Mac OS X seems to require a password to work, and it has much better integration and features than 3rd party VNC clients.

Your welcome and I appreciate the feedback.  The errors display where ever they occur on they page. That's why error reporting/debugging is off by default and the errors I can collect are displayed on the bottom of the page.

If something gets removed from the xml automatically then check your syntax. The plugin had nothing to do with that. Libvirt will remove bad code.

Which old plugin do you mean?

I setup my spare USB flash drive with a fresh copy of unRAID 6b12 and the latest Virtman and KVM Manager. The create VM tab doesn't seem to setup VM's properly. It creates the sub-folder and qcow2 image but doesn't actually create the VM as there are no VM's listed under the Virtual Machines tab after clicking the Create VM button.

Here is my error:

Warning: libvirt_domain_create_xml(): internal error: early end of file from monitor: possible problem: 2014-12-25T04:32:52.796650Z qemu-system-x86_64: -device ide-cd,bus=ide.1,unit=1,drive=drive-ide0-1-1,id=ide0-1-1: Can't create IDE unit 1, bus supports only 1 units 2014-12-25T04:32:52.796671Z qemu-system-x86_64: -device ide-cd,bus=ide.1,unit=1,drive=drive-ide0-1-1,id=ide0-1-1: Device initialization failed. 2014-12-25T04:32:52.796679Z qemu-system-x86_64: -device ide-cd,bus=ide.1,unit=1,drive=drive-ide0-1-1,id=ide0-1-1: Device 'ide-cd' could not be initialized in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.kvm.manager/classes/libvirt.php on line 173

I've tried several times using different iso files and locations.

Gary

I setup my spare USB flash drive with a fresh copy of unRAID 6b12 and the latest Virtman and KVM Manager. The create VM tab doesn't seem to setup VM's properly. It creates the sub-folder and qcow2 image but doesn't actually create the VM as there are no VM's listed under the Virtual Machines tab after clicking the Create VM button.

Here is my error:

Warning: libvirt_domain_create_xml(): internal error: early end of file from monitor: possible problem: 2014-12-25T04:32:52.796650Z qemu-system-x86_64: -device ide-cd,bus=ide.1,unit=1,drive=drive-ide0-1-1,id=ide0-1-1: Can't create IDE unit 1, bus supports only 1 units 2014-12-25T04:32:52.796671Z qemu-system-x86_64: -device ide-cd,bus=ide.1,unit=1,drive=drive-ide0-1-1,id=ide0-1-1: Device initialization failed. 2014-12-25T04:32:52.796679Z qemu-system-x86_64: -device ide-cd,bus=ide.1,unit=1,drive=drive-ide0-1-1,id=ide0-1-1: Device 'ide-cd' could not be initialized in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.kvm.manager/classes/libvirt.php on line 173

Gary

Which of your systems is this on?  Can you give me an example of a working config? Did you get an error with a name only? Maybe I can specify the bus in the create xml.

Here is my error:

Gary

Which of your systems is this on?  Can you give me an example of a working config? Did you get an error with a name only? Maybe I can specify the bus in the create xml.

No, I didn't get an error with a name only when creating a vm. Here is a screenshot of my info using the create vm tab that throws the error. This is a working xml config with Windows 10 and GPU, mouse, and keyboard pass-through.

<domain type='kvm' xmlns:qemu='http://libvirt.org/schemas/domain/qemu/1.0'>
  <name>Windows 10</name>
  <uuid>cbeab418-cc59-41a1-9d87-17da907ab5ef</uuid>
  <description>Windows 10 Tech Preview x64</description>
  <memory unit='KiB'>4194304</memory>
  <currentMemory unit='KiB'>4194304</currentMemory>
  <memoryBacking>
    <nosharepages/>
    <locked/>
  </memoryBacking>
  <vcpu placement='static'>4</vcpu>
  <cputune>
    <vcpupin vcpu='0' cpuset='4'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='1' cpuset='5'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='2' cpuset='6'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='3' cpuset='7'/>
  </cputune>
  <cpu mode='host-passthrough'>
    <topology sockets='2' cores='2' threads='1'/>
  </cpu>
  <os>
    <type arch='x86_64' machine='pc-q35-2.1'>hvm</type>
    <boot dev='cdrom'/>
    <bootmenu enable='no'/>
  </os>
  <features>
    <acpi/>
    <apic/>
    <hyperv>
      <relaxed state='on'/>
    </hyperv>
  </features>
  <clock offset='localtime'/>
  <on_poweroff>destroy</on_poweroff>
  <on_reboot>restart</on_reboot>
  <on_crash>destroy</on_crash>
  <devices>
    <emulator>/usr/bin/qemu-system-x86_64</emulator>
    <disk type='file' device='disk'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='qcow2' cache='none' io='native'/>
      <source file='/mnt/SSD/KVM/Windows10/Windows10.qcow2'/>
      <target dev='vdc' bus='virtio'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x03' function='0x0'/>
    </disk>
    <disk type='file' device='cdrom'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='raw'/>
      <source file='/mnt/user/Programs/DreamSpark/Windows 10 Tech Preview/WindowsTechnicalPreview-x64-EN-US.iso'/>
      <target dev='sdc' bus='sata'/>
      <readonly/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='2'/>
    </disk>
    <disk type='file' device='cdrom'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='raw'/>
      <source file='/mnt/user/Programs/Virtualization ISOs/virtio-win-0.1-94.iso'/>
      <target dev='sdd' bus='sata'/>
      <readonly/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='3'/>
    </disk>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-ehci1'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x01' function='0x7'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-uhci1'>
      <master startport='0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x01' function='0x0' multifunction='on'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-uhci2'>
      <master startport='2'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x01' function='0x1'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-uhci3'>
      <master startport='4'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x01' function='0x2'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='sata' index='0'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x1f' function='0x2'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='0' model='pcie-root'/>
    <controller type='pci' index='1' model='dmi-to-pci-bridge'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x1e' function='0x0'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='2' model='pci-bridge'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x01' slot='0x01' function='0x0'/>
    </controller>
    <interface type='bridge'>
      <mac address='52:54:88:b8:de:13'/>
      <source bridge='br0'/>
      <model type='virtio'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x02' function='0x0'/>
    </interface>
    <hostdev mode='subsystem' type='usb' managed='no'>
      <source>
        <vendor id='0x046d'/>
        <product id='0xc31c'/>
      </source>
    </hostdev>
    <hostdev mode='subsystem' type='usb' managed='no'>
      <source>
        <vendor id='0x046d'/>
        <product id='0xc05a'/>
      </source>
    </hostdev>
    <memballoon model='virtio'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x04' function='0x0'/>
    </memballoon>
  </devices>
  <seclabel type='none' model='none'/>
  <qemu:commandline>
    <qemu:arg value='-device'/>
    <qemu:arg value='ioh3420,bus=pcie.0,addr=1c.0,multifunction=on,port=1,chassis=1,id=root.1'/>
    <qemu:arg value='vfio-pci,host=01:00.0,bus=root.1,addr=00.0,multifunction=on,x-vga=on'/>
    <qemu:arg value='vfio-pci,host=01:00.1,bus=pcie.0'/>
  </qemu:commandline>
</domain>

vm3.JPG.71d529e9f52891bffec9b5c4cc5b17be.JPG

• trurl unpinned this topic