[PLUGIN DEPRECATED] VM Manager (2015.02.24)

dmacias

After some testing the name can only be changed if the vm is undefined then redefined like you did. It worked before because I setup the editor to remove then create.  But if you have a saved state or snapshot that won't work.  One thing you could do is when you edit, change the name then change the the last character of the uuid.  This will create a copy then you can remove the old vm.

I spread out the tables some. Let me know if it's enough.

That's fine with renaming, easy enough to just change on character of the uuid. How often will you actually rename a VM anyway?

The spacing looks much better for my VM's, Thanks.

That's a lot of apples in your basket. :)

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed! I have been throwing everything at attempting to get my Nvidia 8800 GT working properly with those apples (sooooo many tests). The computer screen does turn on but it's a bit laggy and not fun to use. If I just use VNC it works perfectly. I think it is an issue with my graphics card being older but I don't have anything newer to try and test.

Indeed! I have been throwing everything at attempting to get my Nvidia 8800 GT working properly with those apples (sooooo many tests). The computer screen does turn on but it's a bit laggy and not fun to use. If I just use VNC it works perfectly. I think it is an issue with my graphics card being older but I don't have anything newer to try and test.

get a gt430 bud and theres a few amd oob ones ;) is kvm playing nicely with nvidia now? or was that just xen?

get a gt430 bud and theres a few amd oob ones ;) is kvm playing nicely with nvidia now? or was that just xen?

Yes kvm and nvidia 8800 gt work great on windows 8. My above post was referring to Mac OS X and KVM with my graphics card. On windows it works flawlessly.

Not sure what's up with this, but I can't change the memory on a certain VM.  Also, even though the XML has it set for 16GB, VMman says only 512MB is allocated.  When I start the VM, it boots with the 16GB and shows the right amount in VMman.

<domain type='kvm'>
  <name>Gaming</name>
  <uuid>50c291fb-b433-a522-fae8-fb576a964cc7</uuid>
  <memory unit='KiB'>19531250</memory>
  <currentMemory unit='KiB'>19531250</currentMemory>
  <vcpu placement='static'>4</vcpu>
  <os>
    <type arch='x86_64' machine='pc-i440fx-2.1'>hvm</type>
    <boot dev='hd'/>
    <boot dev='cdrom'/>
    <bootmenu enable='yes' timeout='3000'/>
  </os>
  <features>
    <acpi/>
    <apic/>
    <pae/>
  </features>
  <clock offset='localtime'>
    <timer name='rtc' tickpolicy='catchup'/>
    <timer name='pit' tickpolicy='delay'/>
    <timer name='hpet' present='yes'/>
  </clock>
  <on_poweroff>destroy</on_poweroff>
  <on_reboot>restart</on_reboot>
  <on_crash>restart</on_crash>
  <devices>
    <emulator>/usr/bin/qemu-system-x86_64</emulator>
    <disk type='file' device='cdrom'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='raw'/>
      <source file='/mnt/cache/iso/Win81Pro.iso'/>
      <target dev='hdc' bus='ide'/>
      <readonly/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='1' target='0' unit='0'/>
    </disk>
      <source file='/mnt/cache/iso/virtio-win-0.1-81.iso'/>
      <target dev='hdd' bus='ide'/>
      <readonly/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='1' target='0' unit='1'/>
    </disk>
    <disk type='block' device='disk'>
      <source dev='/dev/disk/by-id/ata-Samsung_SSD_840_PRO_Series_S1ATNSAF906981Z'/>
      <target dev='hdc' bus='virtio'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x05' function='0x0'/>
    </disk>
    <controller type='usb' index='0'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x01' function='0x2'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='0' model='pci-root'/>
    <controller type='ide' index='0'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x01' function='0x1'/>
    </controller>
    <interface type='bridge'>
      <mac address='52:54:00:15:fb:47'/>
      <source bridge='br0'/>
      <model type='virtio'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x03' function='0x0'/>
    </interface>
    <serial type='pty'>
      <target port='0'/>
    </serial>
    <console type='pty'>
      <target type='serial' port='0'/>
    </console>
    <input type='tablet' bus='usb'/>
    <input type='mouse' bus='ps2'/>
    <input type='keyboard' bus='ps2'/>
    <graphics type='vnc' port='-1' autoport='yes' websocket='-1' listen='0.0.0.0'>
      <listen type='address' address='0.0.0.0'/>
    </graphics>
    <video>
      <model type='cirrus' vram='9216' heads='1'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x0'/>
    </video>
    <hostdev mode='subsystem' type='usb' managed='no'>
      <source>
        <vendor id='0x0b95'/>
        <product id='0x1780'/>
      </source>
    </hostdev>
    <memballoon model='virtio'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x04' function='0x0'/>
    </memballoon>
  </devices>
</domain>

I can change the RAM on my other VMs without issue.  I can change it manually, but not from the web interface.  Even changed it to 4GB manually then tried to change it, but the screen refreshes and just stays at 512.

Hey! Thanks for the addon. I am just getting started with KVM and have a few questions and suggestions:

1. If currently you always need both, the VMman and the libvirt plugin why not combine them in one plugin?

2. When I first downloaded both and went to the config page and tried to start, the GUI hang and it would never start. I could cancel the process from the command line though. After a restart it started automatically.

3. Then I created a storage Pool for my installation disks and they were not recognized because they are in sub folders. At best it should be looked for iso images in all subfolders.

I also created a pool to store my VMs and a .qcow2 file with 5G for my first VM.

5. Now I tried to create the actual VM using the second tab. I just change Name, description and installation iso nothing more but the VM is not created. I just get back to the empty formand no Virtual Machine is visible.

6. In the devices tab a have an usb device which I want to pass through to the VM. But it seems to be the only device that doesn't show up in the 'create VM' USB passthrough list. :(

7. What is the 'drivers image' for? Do I also need the virtio-win iso and what for?

I have the feeling that I am doing something wrong, maybe someone can walk me through it  :P

edit:

5. success! I forgot to enable a network bridge... Maybe there should be a warning about this.

Not sure what's up with this, but I can't change the memory on a certain VM.  Also, even though the XML has it set for 16GB, VMman says only 512MB is allocated.  When I start the VM, it boots with the 16GB and shows the right amount in VMman.

<domain type='kvm'>
  <name>Gaming</name>
  <uuid>50c291fb-b433-a522-fae8-fb576a964cc7</uuid>
  <memory unit='KiB'>19531250</memory>
  <currentMemory unit='KiB'>19531250</currentMemory>
  <vcpu placement='static'>4</vcpu>
  <os>
    <boot dev='hd'/>
    <boot dev='cdrom'/>
    <bootmenu enable='yes' timeout='3000'/>
  </os>
  <features>
    <acpi/>
    <apic/>
    <pae/>
  </features>
  </clock>
  <devices>
      <source file='/mnt/cache/iso/Win81Pro.iso'/>
      <target dev='hdc' bus='ide'/>
      <readonly/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='1' target='0' unit='0'/>
    </disk>
      <source file='/mnt/cache/iso/virtio-win-0.1-81.iso'/>
      <readonly/>
    </disk>
    <disk type='block' device='disk'>
      <source dev='/dev/disk/by-id/ata-Samsung_SSD_840_PRO_Series_S1ATNSAF906981Z'/>
      <target dev='hdc' bus='virtio'/>
    </disk>
    </controller>
    </controller>
      <mac address='52:54:00:15:fb:47'/>
      <source bridge='br0'/>
      <model type='virtio'/>
    </interface>
    <serial type='pty'>
      <target port='0'/>
    </serial>
    <console type='pty'>
    </console>
    <graphics type='vnc' port='-1' autoport='yes' websocket='-1' listen='0.0.0.0'>
    </graphics>
    <video>
    </video>
    <hostdev mode='subsystem' type='usb' managed='no'>
      <source>
        <vendor id='0x0b95'/>
        <product id='0x1780'/>
      </source>
    </hostdev>
    </memballoon>
  </devices>
</domain>

I can change the RAM on my other VMs without issue.  I can change it manually, but not from the web interface.  Even changed it to 4GB manually then tried to change it, but the screen refreshes and just stays at 512.

The number you have in the xml above 

19531250 KiB is about 20 GB. If you use a non standard value the way it's written it will default to 512,  because it can't match up the value. I'll see about rounding. I'll double check my math too.

I can't refresh or delete a storage pool.

Path is /mnt/cache/vm/media

Permissions are nobody.users -rw-rw-rw-

Kevin.

I've never seen that before. But you can delete them manually in /etc/libvirt/storage.  You may have to stop libvirt first then delete then restart libvirt. Storage pools section will be removed soon and you'll be able to navigate through a file tree.

Hey! Thanks for the addon. I am just getting started with KVM and have a few questions and suggestions:

1. If currently you always need both, the VMman and the libvirt plugin why not combine them in one plugin?

2. When I first downloaded both and went to the config page and tried to start, the GUI hang and it would never start. I could cancel the process from the command line though. After a restart it started automatically.

3. Then I created a storage Pool for my installation disks and they were not recognized because they are in sub folders. At best it should be looked for iso images in all subfolders.

I also created a pool to store my VMs and a .qcow2 file with 5G for my first VM.

5. Now I tried to create the actual VM using the second tab. I just change Name, description and installation iso nothing more but the VM is not created. I just get back to the empty formand no Virtual Machine is visible.

6. In the devices tab a have an usb device which I want to pass through to the VM. But it seems to be the only device that doesn't show up in the 'create VM' USB passthrough list. :(

7. What is the 'drivers image' for? Do I also need the virtio-win iso and what for?

I have the feeling that I am doing something wrong, maybe someone can walk me through it  :P

edit:

5. success! I forgot to enable a network bridge... Maybe there should be a warning about this.

1.  How libvirt is started/stored keeps changing through the betas and will probably move from a loopback image to a folder, xml and cfg file structure like unraid xen. That's why they are separate.

2. It "hangs" because of changes to beta 12. If you hit F5 you'll see it started. I might look into fixing it but not a priority because of #1.

3. That's how libvirt folder based storage pools function. A folder full of images. Nothing I can do about that. However the storage pool tab will be gone soon and you'll be able to browse through a file tree.

4. Not sure what happened to 4 but I'll answer anyway.  Yes.

5. I'll look into adding a warning about bridge.

6. Justin mentioned a usb problem also. His was undefined usb while the Tools devices page shows it right. I'll look into that too.

7. It was added before I added the ability to change cdrom images live. So you would have the drivers image available for windows installed.  That's what you need the virtio win iso for.  It's linked in the first page to the latest.

Thanks for the feedback. Should have a new version later this week with the file trees instead of storage pools. About half way done.

Do you have anything created under the storage tab?

Picture below is how my storage is organized - might not be the ideal scenario.

Also you need to create the img file before you can create a VM.

Just so you know, there is a newer VirtIO Drivers ISO :)

Just so you know, there is a newer VirtIO Drivers ISO :)

Thanks.  For others, link is here.

It's linked on the first page.

I have just started to play around with KVM and wanted to thank you for all of the work you have done in putting the VM Manager together. I have followed your instructions and put together a Win8.1Pro VM. It boots and I can view and control it via VNC. I am able to compete updates and use Win8.1 programs inside the VM. I am however having some issues.

1. Initially I started out with a .qcow2 disk that was 16GB now when I check it shows as slightly over 24GB. Is this because it is able to automatically resize?

2. Stability - I find that the Win8.1 VM seems to crash fairly regularly and when it does it seems to effect the operation of the rest of the unRaid server. There have been a number of errors showing up regarding memory allocation in the dashboard window (see attachment). I am also attaching the syslog which shows similar errors. These errors only occur when the VM is operating or being suspended or shutdown. If I don't start the VM then the server runs error free.

Most of the time once the VM crashes I cannot restart it without rebooting the entire system. The server itself generally regains full operability without a reboot but this takes some time.

I have also noticed that SABnzbd threw out an error code while this was occuring

Error [Errno 12] Cannot allocate memory while running par2_repair on set 222982

This is not something that I have seen before and it definitely seems to be related.

3. I am unable to modify the xml file using the plugin. Once I click on save it goes back to being the original document as created by the template. Not sure if this is related.

XML file as created by the template beta 12 version

<domain type='kvm'>

<name>Win 8.1ProN</name>

<uuid>742ef380-ae8e-094b-7c2d-3e4f1ddba00b</uuid>

<description>Den HTPC</description>

<metadata>

<snapshots/>

</metadata>

<memory unit='KiB'>2097152</memory>

<currentMemory unit='KiB'>2097152</currentMemory>

<vcpu placement='static'>2</vcpu>

<resource>

<partition>/machine</partition>

</resource>

<os>

<boot dev='hd'/>

</os>

<features>

<acpi/>

<apic/>

</features>

</clock>

<devices>

<disk type='file' device='disk'>

<driver name='qemu' type='qcow2'/>

<source file='/mnt/cache/Image Media/Win8.1ProN.qcow2'/>

<target dev='hda' bus='virtio'/>

</disk>

<source file='/mnt/cache/Images/virtio-win-0.1-94.iso'/>

<readonly/>

</disk>

</controller>

</controller>

<mac address='52:54:00:60:d8:84'/>

<source bridge='br0'/>

<model type='virtio'/>

</interface>

<serial type='pty'>

<target port='0'/>

</serial>

<console type='pty'>

</console>

<graphics type='vnc' port='-1' autoport='yes' websocket='5700' listen='0.0.0.0'>

</graphics>

<video>

</video>

</memballoon>

</devices>

</domain>

unRaid 6.0 Beta12

Plugin Libvert Support 2014.12.01

Plugin Virtual Machine Management 2014.12.03

Thanks in advance for any advice regarding these issues.

Screenshot_2014-12-09_19_19_11.png.106f75ca8da39e9a3ab36ce106e97923.png

syslog.zip

I have just started to play around with KVM and wanted to thank you for all of the work you have done in putting the VM Manager together. I have followed your instructions and put together a Win8.1Pro VM. It boots and I can view and control it via VNC. I am able to compete updates and use Win8.1 programs inside the VM. I am however having some issues.

1. Initially I started out with a .qcow2 disk that was 16GB now when I check it shows as slightly over 24GB. Is this because it is able to automatically resize?

2. Stability - I find that the Win8.1 VM seems to crash fairly regularly and when it does it seems to effect the operation of the rest of the unRaid server. There have been a number of errors showing up regarding memory allocation in the dashboard window (see attachment). I am also attaching the syslog which shows similar errors. These errors only occur when the VM is operating or being suspended or shutdown. If I don't start the VM then the server runs error free.

Most of the time once the VM crashes I cannot restart it without rebooting the entire system. The server itself generally regains full operability without a reboot but this takes some time.

I have also noticed that SABnzbd threw out an error code while this was occuring

This is not something that I have seen before and it definitely seems to be related.

3. I am unable to modify the xml file using the plugin. Once I click on save it goes back to being the original document as created by the template. Not sure if this is related.

I've only seen the allocated size be larger with snapshots.  You might want to expand your qcow2 and then expand it in windows.  I would go to at least 30GB for windows.  The size of the qcow2 will only be what you use. See this post http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=35858.msg338236.msg#338236 . How much free space does it say inside windows? 

You may want to post an issue under the unRAID version 6/defects section about the memory problem.  I haven't seen that before.  It may be when it's crashing the resources aren't being returned to the system or not returned right away. So if you can figure out the vm crashing part then the memory problem may go away. Restarting libvirt when it crashes may help so you don't have to restart the server.

What area are you trying to modify in the xml?

Just yesterday started to tinker with this and I have to say, what an awesome plugin. Great job, dmacias!

A doubt: On v5 I previously used a virtualbox VM with Win 7 where I could share a folder from my cache disk (/mnt/cache/apps/downloads). Can't seem to find out how to do it on KVM, though. Any pointers, please?  :)

The number you have in the xml above 19531250 KiB is about 20 GB. If you use a non standard value the way it's written it will default to 512,  because it can't match up the value. I'll see about rounding. I'll double check my math too.

The number is exactly 20GB. It's part of the confusion between SI units and IEC units. SI is power of 10, IEC is power of 2.

When I create or change the memory on my vm's I use the SI unit and the xml returns with the IEC unit equivalent.

See the information here http://www.dr-lex.be/info-stuff/bytecalc.html

Kevin.

19531250 KiB is about 20 GB. If you use a non standard value the way it's written it will default to 512,  because it can't match up the value. I'll see about rounding. I'll double check my math too.

Thanks! I ended up manually switching it to 4096MB in the XML, and then changing the main page drop down to 4096, and that allowed me to change it via the main page to whatever I wanted again.  The 512 default for unrecognized manual entries makes sense, but I just thought it was weird that it couldn't change it then.  Thanks for the great program!

Thanks! I ended up manually switching it to 4096MB in the XML, and then changing the main page drop down to 4096, and that allowed me to change it via the main page to whatever I wanted again.  The 512 default for unrecognized manual entries makes sense, but I just thought it was weird that it couldn't change it then.  Thanks for the great program!

I'll check my math anyway and add unknown or something as the first item in the list.

Just yesterday started to tinker with this and I have to say, what an awesome plugin. Great job, dmacias!

A doubt: On v5 I previously used a virtualbox VM with Win 7 where I could share a folder from my cache disk (/mnt/cache/apps/downloads). Can't seem to find out how to do it on KVM, though. Any pointers, please?  :)

The only thing you can do on windows is a network share.

I've only seen the allocated size be larger with snapshots.  You might want to expand your qcow2 and then expand it in windows.  I would go to at least 30GB for windows.  The size of the qcow2 will only be what you use. See this post http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=35858.msg338236.msg#338236 . How much free space does it say inside windows? 

You may want to post an issue under the unRAID version 6/defects section about the memory problem.  I haven't seen that before.  It may be when it's crashing the resources aren't being returned to the system or not returned right away. So if you can figure out the vm crashing part then the memory problem may go away. Restarting libvirt when it crashes may help so you don't have to restart the server.

What area are you trying to modify in the xml?

Just tried restarting Libvirt from the plugin settings. Took about 5 minutes, during which time the unRaid GUI was unavailable. After Libvirt restarted all operability of the GUI came back. When I try restarting the VM it just comes up with error on the bottom of the page. Looks like it will need a full server restart.

Thinking back I may have  clicked on add snapshot so this might account for the increase in size. After checking Windows states 1.11 GB free of 15.6GB.

In XML I was trying to change the first line to this

<domain type='kvm' xmlns:qemu='http://libvirt.org/schemas/domain/qemu/1.0'>

Then I was going to start looking at modifying the XML to do some Graphics and USB hub pass through.

I will post the memory errors to the defects section and see in anyone has any insights.

Wondering if I should just start over .... remove plugins and delete Win8 VM and then reinstall everything.

• trurl unpinned this topic