[PLUGIN DEPRECATED] VM Manager (2015.02.24)

dmacias

Sometimes it also takes the VM a little bit of time to shutdown nicely (especially Windows VMs).  I have seen it take a few browser refreshes (which happen automatically every x seconds) before the VM was actually shutdown.

However, something like the Ubuntu installer should shutdown almost immediately.

John

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes it also takes the VM a little bit of time to shutdown nicely (especially Windows VMs).  I have seen it take a few browser refreshes (which happen automatically every x seconds) before the VM was actually shutdown.

However, something like the Ubuntu installer should shutdown almost immediately.

John

With Ubuntu, when I click "shut down" from the unraid web ui using the plugin, the os just brings up a screen asking for me to choose to reboot or power down. It won't just trigger the shutdown using an emulated acpi call.

John

With Ubuntu, when I click "shut down" from the unraid web ui using the plugin, the os just brings up a screen asking for me to choose to reboot or power down. It won't just trigger the shutdown using an emulated acpi call.

Hmmm...that is not my experience.  When I click the "safely shutdown domain" button, it just shuts down (at least in my XBMCBuntu VMs).  Is this a product of what is in the XML:

<on_poweroff>destroy</on_poweroff>
  <on_reboot>restart</on_reboot>
  <on_crash>destroy</on_crash>

BTW...my WIN8 VM behaves the same way.  It immediately kills my VNC session and the VM is shutdown gracefully.

John

RE my last post.

Not sure if it's a bug or something firefox related, but if i close the browser completely and open a new instance i can then get the webui and libvirt is running.

It's a bug from when they removed exec.php. I'll fix it. Once it says libvirt is starting, it's starting. You don't have to wait. Usually F5 to refresh works?  Also if you use Create VM it automatically uses a random mac address and your ethernet bridge.

John

Hmmm...that is not my experience.  When I click the "safely shutdown domain" button, it just shuts down (at least in my XBMCBuntu VMs).  Is this a product of what is in the XML:

<on_poweroff>destroy</on_poweroff>
  <on_reboot>restart</on_reboot>
  <on_crash>destroy</on_crash>

BTW...my WIN8 VM behaves the same way.  It immediately kills my VNC session and the VM is shutdown gracefully.

John

OK, this was in a newer version of Ubuntu and not xbmcbuntu. Might even be an OS setting to disable that prompt.

With windows and my OpenELEC VM, the graceful shutdown works fine.

John

What version of ubuntu and what desktop is it?

Edit I see your previous post

I notice that when I try to create a VM the only options for OS seem to be Windows and Linux.  What should be selected if I am interested if I want a different OS (e.g. Mac OS)?

In truth, it should say "Windows" or "Other."  There are other operating systems out there that aren't based on the NT/Linux kernel and they WILL virtualize fine under KVM.  Windows is just the only one (that I know of) that has special extension support which is where the Hyper-V settings come into play.

Important note:  if passing through an nVIDIA GPU, do NOT select Windows as the VM type, even if it is.  The Hyper-V extensions are detected by nVIDIA and will prohibit GPU pass through from working properly.

Would you suggest I remove the hyperv all together? But leave the clock.

I notice that when I try to create a VM the only options for OS seem to be Windows and Linux.  What should be selected if I am interested if I want a different OS (e.g. Mac OS)?

In truth, it should say "Windows" or "Other."  There are other operating systems out there that aren't based on the NT/Linux kernel and they WILL virtualize fine under KVM.  Windows is just the only one (that I know of) that has special extension support which is where the Hyper-V settings come into play.

Important note:  if passing through an nVIDIA GPU, do NOT select Windows as the VM type, even if it is.  The Hyper-V extensions are detected by nVIDIA and will prohibit GPU pass through from working properly.

Would you suggest I remove the hyperv all together? But leave the clock.

The hyper v settings and clock setting should probably just be options for now given the needs for different hardware pass through scenarios.

For future reference, there is a force shutdown button you can use to forcibly shut down a VM without resorting to stopping libvirt.

i see that now, lol.

i was bit like a kid in the candy store at first though.

At first?  I still feel like a kid in a candy store every day I get to play with this stuff!!!

RE my last post.

Not sure if it's a bug or something firefox related, but if i close the browser completely and open a new instance i can then get the webui and libvirt is running.

It's a bug from when they removed exec.php. I'll fix it. Once it says libvirt is starting, it's starting. You don't have to wait. Usually F5 to refresh works?  Also if you use Create VM it automatically uses a random mac address and your ethernet bridge.

i really like the create vm pane, it's like xencenter in the simplicity of firing up a VM.

i'll only have a couple of ubuntu 14.04 server VM's running on it, one for tinkering about with docker on and the other for my RSS feeds.

but with the xml editor, i like that if i want something a little more exotic (passthrough and whatnots) it's there with little or no need for command line trickery.

RE my last post.

i really like the create vm pane, it's like xencenter in the simplicity of firing up a VM.

i'll only have a couple of ubuntu 14.04 server VM's running on it, one for tinkering about with docker on and the other for my RSS feeds.

but with the xml editor, i like that if i want something a little more exotic (passthrough and whatnots) it's there with little or no need for command line trickery.

Thanks I hope you like it.

After unwantet restart (problem with power-supply) I don't see any VMs (I have had several VMs on Ubuntu running) and I get this error:

Warning: array_keys() expects parameter 1 to be array, boolean given in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix/include/DefaultPageLayout.php(274) : eval()'d code on line 166

Can anyone help please?!?

I'm runnig unRAID6 beta 12

Thanks

After unwantet restart (problem with power-supply) I don't see any VMs (I have had several VMs on Ubuntu running) and I get this error:

Warning: array_keys() expects parameter 1 to be array, boolean given in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix/include/DefaultPageLayout.php(274) : eval()'d code on line 166

Can anyone help please?!?

I'm runnig unRAID6 beta 12

Thanks

I assume you were running virtMan plg too.  Your flash drive or virtMan.img may be corrupt.  I would shutdown and run check on the flash drive on a windows computer. Then after restarting unRAID run from the command line

fsch.ext4 /boot/config/plugins/virtMan/virtMan.img

Let me know.  But either way you can always just recreate the vm's using the existing images and not lose a thing.

You may also want to run this on each of your images

qemi-img check -f qcow2 /path-to-image/filename.qcow2

I would also update the plugins after you've check the disks

Is there any way to have a discrete graphics card passthrough and still have VNC access to the VM at a bios level?  It would really help with troubleshooting my VM's remotely.  Currently having a "Disk check" issue with my VM that I was hoping to not have to redo the XML in order to troubleshoot it remotely.

No there's no way to have both. However you could edit your xml. Copy the content and paste in as a new xml. Then change the uuid by one number/letter and remove the passthrough.  Then you would have 2 separate vm's pointing to the same image and you could run one or the other when needed.

Also have you run qemu-img check on the image?

Ha, that's what I ended up doing (creating a separate non-passthrough VM.)  Running a qemu-img check did find some stuff. Not sure if it will clear the dirty bit as now my VM crashes at the Windows boot.

root@Tower:/mnt/disk/snapvms/vm# qemu-img check WindowsMediaCenter.qcow2
Leaked cluster 1349986 refcount=1 reference=0
Leaked cluster 1349987 refcount=1 reference=0
Leaked cluster 1349988 refcount=1 reference=0
Leaked cluster 1349990 refcount=1 reference=0
Leaked cluster 1349991 refcount=1 reference=0
Leaked cluster 1349992 refcount=1 reference=0
Leaked cluster 1349993 refcount=1 reference=0
Leaked cluster 1349994 refcount=1 reference=0
Leaked cluster 1349995 refcount=1 reference=0

9 leaked clusters were found on the image.
This means waste of disk space, but no harm to data.
839813/983040 = 85.43% allocated, 17.67% fragmented, 0.00% compressed clusters
Image end offset: 88473337856

ETA: This is the second time a snapshot has magically disappeared.  I really have to just start copying the qcow2 file for backup purposes.  Is there an automated way to do this?

ETA2: Wasn't booting cause I ran out of disk space on the physical disk.  :-[

ETA3: Turns out running out of disk space was also why chkdsk wasn't completing.  *sigh* 

ETA: This is the second time a snapshot has magically disappeared.  I really have to just start copying the qcow2 file for backup purposes.  Is there an automated way to do this?

ETA2: Wasn't booting cause I ran out of disk space on the physical disk.  :-[

ETA3: Turns out running out of disk space was also why chkdsk wasn't completing.  *sigh*

I wouldn't completely rely on the snapshot for now.  Libvirt  snapshots can be qwirky.  Been thinks of moving to qemu-img snapshots instead.  The snapshots use your qcow2 image for storage so that may explain it's disappearance.  You may want to give some room for the snapshots too.  They can be large if your vm had alot of memory.

A way to backup/clone the image is on my todo list.

Edit: qemu-img may be able to list the snapshots.  Then you could apply or delete them or delete some.  That may free up enough storage space.

Any chance of building in support to wakeup the domain with "dompmwakeup" ? My Windows 8.1 VM likes to go into "pmsuspended" state after awhile and the only way to wake it up is by command line.

Also, this isn't handled very well on the frontend yet. the GUI shows only 2 options - Start and View XML. Start doesn't work and throws a debug error.

Any chance of building in support to wakeup the domain with "dompmwakeup" ? My Windows 8.1 VM likes to go into "pmsuspended" state after awhile and the only way to wake it up is by command line.

Also, this isn't handled very well on the frontend yet. the GUI shows only 2 options - Start and View XML. Start doesn't work and throws a debug error.

Peter had this problem too but he turned off the suspend in the vm.  It gives an error or won't work cause the vm state comes back as unknown. I'll  have to set up a windows 8 vm to see if I can detect what mode it's in and why windows 8 pm is different.

Yes I did have it set to whatever the default balanced power profile is in windows 8.1. I think this includes hibernate after 20 mins.

For now I configured so it doesn't hibernate/sleep and that seems to have worked until the plugin is updated (if this is on the roadmap)

You should be use hibernation and maybe sleep.  It might be the default hybrid sleep thats the problem.  I need to be able tp determine the domain's state. I did change it so the resume button is shown instead of start for an unknown state.  I haven’t had time to setup a windows 8 vm and my windows 7 doesn't have a sleep option.

• trurl unpinned this topic