kodi HELIX headless release

these are my settings in the template for kodi headless.

zMWObkk.png

ANseCEk.png

the kodi for username and password is only relevant because i set my database to accept it as a password and user combo.

previously it was xbmc and xbmc and worked as well, i updated my d/base privileges solely to take account of the name change from xbmc to kodi to maintain continuity.

How can I install mysql? Is there a link to the doctor? Or any link?

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

these are my settings in the template for kodi headless.

zMWObkk.png

ANseCEk.png

the kodi for username and password is only relevant because i set my database to accept it as a password and user combo.

previously it was xbmc and xbmc and worked as well, i updated my d/base privileges solely to take account of the name change from xbmc to kodi to maintain continuity.

How can I install mysql? Is there a link to the doctor? Or any link?

Download the MariaDB docker and then follow the installation instructions on the Kodi wiki. http://kodi.wiki/view/MySQL

Now that it looks like most of the kinks have been worked out how smooth is the upgrade process from Gotham to Helix?

Do I still need to delete my Gotham DB before setting up Helix or is that fixed?

How is the Helix stability (I remember sparklyballs mentioning crashing issues).

Is it easy to export/re-import watched status?

Are there any other current gotchas to be aware of?

Now that it looks like most of the kinks have been worked out how smooth is the upgrade process from Gotham to Helix?

Do I still need to delete my Gotham DB before setting up Helix or is that fixed?

How is the Helix stability (I remember sparklyballs mentioning crashing issues).

Is it easy to export/re-import watched status?

Are there any other current gotchas to be aware of?

I can't make any claims about upgrade of existing DB, i had terrible problems, but it looks like it was just me and the pecularities of my particular setup.

stability of the docker is good and if kodi does crash, it respawns anyway as it controlled by runit (like supervisor) in the docker.

again i can't comment about importing watched status and/or resume status as i had to start from scratch with a clean database (again only i seem to have been hit by that problem, so it was something local to me).

if you do need to rescan library, (and i'd advise the first step before proceeding as prudent even if you don't) do this.

1. save out your existing library to separate files using the video menu in gotham settings (saying yes to everything else)

2. in your advancedsettings on your playback machines add these lines anywhere before the final </advancedsettings>

<videolibrary>

<importresumepoint>true</importresumepoint>
           <importwatchedstate>true</importwatchedstate>

</videolibrary>

3. rescan library.

again, i stress those steps only neccesary if you have to rescan library, which is improbable, again though it would be prudent to do step 1 by default anyways.

as for other gotchas, there are some vagaries people are having regarding connection issues and scanning, but there's no common demoninator and they're not very common if the number of pulls from my repo vs people reporting issues is anything to go by.

No issues.  Frst run of a kodi client upgrades the DB but leaves the original in place.  I did that on my PC just so I had a bit more control.

Then I started converting the various clients to Kodi and all went well.  The only issue is that at times the DB doesn't seen to update when couchpotato of sickrage tell it too, nor when I run a JSON call.  Not sure what the problem is.

But all in all it was a painfree move thanks to the work of the container makers here.....

I did a default install and I can see that it has installed as the DB has the new schema.

However when I go to the webpage I am asked for a user name and password.

I have tried the default one in the XBMC forums which is xbox but that does not seem to work.

Could anyone please tell me what it is, read through these instructions a few times, I must be blind because I cannot find it.

Thanks

Found it!!!

<webserverpassword>xbmc</webserverpassword>

<webserverport>8080</webserverport>

<webserverusername>xbmc</webserverusername>

Finally managed to make this work.

Lessons learned:

dont trust the webgui. With a large library it shows no content at all. Use the official mobile app instead as a test (and remember it caches results so refresh between experiments).

I had a clash between my old as.xml and the new one. I hand merged them and made a mistake. Ideally the docker as.xml would augment but not replace a users existing as.xml (possible)

I used bridge mode finally but I am not sure I actually needed to. If i have time I will retest.

I had to remove the container and image and start again (the final magic bullet)

Curiously if i restart the docker my notepadd++ client detects that as.xml has changed. This doesnt feel right to me.

All in all though once working this is really a rather special docker. Kudos.

Lessons learned:

dont trust the webgui. With a large library it shows no content at all. Use the official mobile app instead as a test (and remember it caches results so refresh between experiments).

I had a clash between my old as.xml and the new one. I hand merged them and made a mistake. Ideally the docker as.xml would augment but not replace a users existing as.xml (possible)

I used bridge mode finally but I am not sure I actually needed to. If i have time I will retest.

I had to remove the container and image and start again (the final magic bullet)

Curiously if i restart the docker my notepadd++ client detects that as.xml has changed. This doesnt feel right to me.

on a cursory examination of alternate placings of advancedsettings file, it seems it's hardcoded to look only in the special folder for it, normally ~/.kodi/userdata (or opt------ for portable mode), unlike some of the other files it seems there can be only one.

as for the file changing on startup, it both does and doesn't depending on your point of view, on restarting it reasserts the mysql settings from the template setup.

from kodi.log

11:43:28 T:47164390392896  NOTICE: No settings file to load (special://xbmc/system/advancedsettings.xml)
11:43:28 T:47164390392896  NOTICE: Loaded settings file from special://profile/advancedsettings.xml
11:43:28 T:47164390392896  NOTICE: Contents of special://profile/advancedsettings.xml are...

when trying to place an additional file where the system files are , it doesn't get seen.

also tried this on my player install of kodi , where the paths are somewhat clearer and it wasn't picked up there.

from kodi.log

11:43:28 T:47164390392896  NOTICE: No settings file to load (special://xbmc/system/advancedsettings.xml)
11:43:28 T:47164390392896  NOTICE: Loaded settings file from special://profile/advancedsettings.xml
11:43:28 T:47164390392896  NOTICE: Contents of special://profile/advancedsettings.xml are...

when trying to place an additional file where the system files are , it doesn't get seen.

also tried this on my player install of kodi , where the paths are somewhat clearer and it wasn't picked up there.

Openelec does it for sure so we just need to work out how :)

Lessons learned:

on a cursory examination of alternate placings of advancedsettings file, it seems it's hardcoded to look only in the special folder for it, normally ~/.kodi/userdata (or opt------ for portable mode), unlike some of the other files it seems there can be only one.

as for the file changing on startup, it both does and doesn't depending on your point of view, on restarting it reasserts the mysql settings from the template setup.

I think that if an as.xml exists we should not touch it. I know that is potentially tricky support wise but the file only exists if someone manaully constructed it previously.

IMHO we should mess with config files not created by the container or Kodi

from kodi.log

Openelec does it for sure so we just need to work out how :)

that has some funky share stuff set up on those folders too. (or used to, last time i used it)

As an update to my earlier post I've taken the plunge and moved to Kodi.

Like dalben had suggested I did a PC based install of Kodi first with my existing advancedsettings.xml file and I also had HeidiSQL open to make sure the DB got created. Kodi hangs for a few minutes (with a large database) while it creates the new database, but after 3-5 minutes it came back fine and maintained all my watched status which was great.

I then installed the headless Kodi with my existing advancedsettings.xml and it worked fine as well. I updated SickBeard to use the headless Kodi (which was pointing to an OpenELEC client) and it connected fine as well.

I've now updated my first NUC to OpenELEC 5.0 (Helix) and all is well.

Just one caution for those moving to Kodi Helix - there seem to be a number of skins that don't exist anymore. I used Ace in Gotham, but it's not available in Helix and the developer has gone dark. He was also responsible for other skins. I would make sure your preferred skin is available, or you can find one you like. For me this was another benefit of installing Helix on my PC. I went through all the various skins until I found one I could work with and then just loaded it on the NUC. It was way easier than trying to update the NUC continuously.

Thanks Sparklyballs! I appreciate your efforts.

As an update to my earlier post I've taken the plunge and moved to Kodi.

Like dalben had suggested I did a PC based install of Kodi first with my existing advancedsettings.xml file and I also had HeidiSQL open to make sure the DB got created. Kodi hangs for a few minutes (with a large database) while it creates the new database, but after 3-5 minutes it came back fine and maintained all my watched status which was great.

I then installed the headless Kodi with my existing advancedsettings.xml and it worked fine as well. I updated SickBeard to use the headless Kodi (which was pointing to an OpenELEC client) and it connected fine as well.

I've now updated my first NUC to OpenELEC 5.0 (Helix) and all is well.

Just one caution for those moving to Kodi Helix - there seem to be a number of skins that don't exist anymore. I used Ace in Gotham, but it's not available in Helix and the developer has gone dark. He was also responsible for other skins. I would make sure your preferred skin is available, or you can find one you like. For me this was another benefit of installing Helix on my PC. I went through all the various skins until I found one I could work with and then just loaded it on the NUC. It was way easier than trying to update the NUC continuously.

Thanks Sparklyballs! I appreciate your efforts.

I actually discovered the possible source of my initial issues with DB when switching from gotham to frodo, i update bios on my MB at around the same time, and my MYSQL was in a VM on unraid.

turns out the bios update was cockeyed (known issue now, but not at that time) and i was only running on two cores.

so from moving over to unraid 6, updating bios and migrating from gotham to helix it was hard to point the finger.

it was probably doing the update but incredibly slowly due to the cores issue,  as i have a very large library, 6600 + movies, 500 tv shows and some music.

early this morning i stumbled on a post from supermicro about it while trying to solve what i thought was performance tweaks i needed. reupdated the bios with a special jumper setting enabled during the update and now i have all my cores.

had i known that at the time, i probably would not have had any issues upgrading at all.

Hi - Need some help doing a fresh install of kodi-server (no db import) and mariadb. I installed the kodi-headless using the template (picture attached below) and installed needo/mariadb using

docker run -d --name=mariadb -v /mnt/disk/SSD2/apps/mariadb:/db -v /etc/localtime:/etc/localtime:ro -p 3306:3306 needo/mariadb

Installed HeidiSQL on my stand alone Windows computer and connected to MariaDB using the ip, user:root and pass:<none>. The database seems to work. My profiles.xml and advancedsettings.xml are copied below and seem to be consistent with what I read here. In Kodi-headless, after I click profiles and select the "Master user", I get connection lost red highlight box on top. Do I need to create a specific user in HeidiSQL and use that in profiles.xml? Looks like I am missing a trivial detail here. Also, how do I create new users in HeidiSQL? Thanks!

profiles.xml

<profiles>
    <lastloaded>0</lastloaded>
    <useloginscreen>false</useloginscreen>
    <autologin>-1</autologin>
    <nextIdProfile>1</nextIdProfile>
    <profile>
        <id>0</id>
        <name>Master user</name>
        <directory pathversion="1">special://masterprofile/</directory>
        <thumbnail pathversion="1"></thumbnail>
        <hasdatabases>true</hasdatabases>
        <canwritedatabases>true</canwritedatabases>
        <hassources>true</hassources>
        <canwritesources>true</canwritesources>
        <lockaddonmanager>false</lockaddonmanager>
        <locksettings>0</locksettings>
        <lockfiles>false</lockfiles>
        <lockmusic>false</lockmusic>
        <lockvideo>false</lockvideo>
        <lockpictures>false</lockpictures>
        <lockprograms>false</lockprograms>
        <lockmode>0</lockmode>
        <lockcode></lockcode>
        <lastdate>01/17/2015 - 6:45 AM</lastdate>
    </profile>
</profiles>

advancedsettings.xml (truncated)

<videodatabase>
<type>mysql</type>
<host>10.10.1.121</host>
<port>3306</port>
<user>root</user>
<pass></pass>
</videodatabase>
<musicdatabase>
<type>mysql</type>
<host>10.10.1.121</host>
<port>3306</port>
<user>root</user>
<pass></pass>
</musicdatabase>

<services>
<devicename>XBMC Server</devicename>
<esallinterfaces>false</esallinterfaces>
<escontinuousdelay>25</escontinuousdelay>
<esenabled>true</esenabled>
<esinitialdelay>750</esinitialdelay>
<esmaxclients>20</esmaxclients>
<esport>9777</esport>
<esportrange>10</esportrange>
<upnpannounce>true</upnpannounce>
<upnprenderer>false</upnprenderer>
<upnpserver>true</upnpserver>
<webserver>true</webserver>
<webskin>webinterface.default</webskin>
<zeroconf>true</zeroconf>
</services>

kodiinstall.jpg.0f334d85330e30bd18ef35e2f9623199.jpg

Hi - Need some help doing a fresh install of kodi-server (no db import) and mariadb. I installed the kodi-headless using the template (picture attached below) and installed needo/mariadb using

docker run -d --name=mariadb -v /mnt/disk/SSD2/apps/mariadb:/db -v /etc/localtime:/etc/localtime:ro -p 3306:3306 needo/mariadb

Installed HeidiSQL on my stand alone Windows computer and connected to MariaDB using the ip, user:root and pass:<none>. The database seems to work. My profiles.xml and advancedsettings.xml are copied below and seem to be consistent with what I read here. In Kodi-headless, after I click profiles and select the "Master user", I get connection lost red highlight box on top. Do I need to create a specific user in HeidiSQL and use that in profiles.xml? Looks like I am missing a trivial detail here. Also, how do I create new users in HeidiSQL? Thanks!

profiles.xml

<profiles>
    <lastloaded>0</lastloaded>
    <useloginscreen>false</useloginscreen>
    <autologin>-1</autologin>
    <nextIdProfile>1</nextIdProfile>
    <profile>
        <id>0</id>
        <name>Master user</name>
        <directory pathversion="1">special://masterprofile/</directory>
        <thumbnail pathversion="1"></thumbnail>
        <hasdatabases>true</hasdatabases>
        <canwritedatabases>true</canwritedatabases>
        <hassources>true</hassources>
        <canwritesources>true</canwritesources>
        <lockaddonmanager>false</lockaddonmanager>
        <locksettings>0</locksettings>
        <lockfiles>false</lockfiles>
        <lockmusic>false</lockmusic>
        <lockvideo>false</lockvideo>
        <lockpictures>false</lockpictures>
        <lockprograms>false</lockprograms>
        <lockmode>0</lockmode>
        <lockcode></lockcode>
        <lastdate>01/17/2015 - 6:45 AM</lastdate>
    </profile>
</profiles>

advancedsettings.xml (truncated)

<videodatabase>
<type>mysql</type>
<host>10.10.1.121</host>
<port>3306</port>
<user>root</user>
<pass></pass>
</videodatabase>
<musicdatabase>
<type>mysql</type>
<host>10.10.1.121</host>
<port>3306</port>
<user>root</user>
<pass></pass>
</musicdatabase>

<services>
<esport>9777</esport>
</services>

you need to create a specific user in mariadb with full privileges, use the user name and password combo in the template screen for the docker itself.

don't mess about with profiles, and the web interface itself is flaky at best.

Thanks Sparkly, I am still having difficulty in accessing the database from kodi, get connection lost message.

a. I created a user and pass in HeidiSQL with xbmc and xbmc with Global privileges. Is the IP address localhost (I currently have this defined) or the IP of the server address?

b. The default Mariadb login user and passwd is root:<none>. This is what I used in the definition of kodi container definition. Copied below is my advancedsettings.xml.

Seems like I am still not doing something right..

advancedsettings.xml

<videodatabase>
<type>mysql</type>
<host>10.10.1.121</host>
<port>3306</port>
<user>root</user>
<pass></pass>
</videodatabase>
<musicdatabase>
<type>mysql</type>
<host>10.10.1.121</host>
<port>3306</port>
<user>root</user>
<pass></pass>
</musicdatabase>

<services>
<esport>9777</esport>
</services>

you need to create a specific user in mariadb with full privileges, use the user name and password combo in the template screen for the docker itself.

Thanks Sparkly, I am still having difficulty in accessing the database from kodi, get connection lost message.

a. I created a user and pass in HeidiSQL with xbmc and xbmc with Global privileges. Is the IP address localhost (I currently have this defined) or the IP of the server address?

b. The default Mariadb login user and passwd is root:<none>. This is what I used in the definition of kodi container definition. Copied below is my advancedsettings.xml.

Seems like I am still not doing something right..

advancedsettings.xml

<videodatabase>
<type>mysql</type>
<host>10.10.1.121</host>
<port>3306</port>
<user>root</user>
<pass></pass>
</videodatabase>
<musicdatabase>
<type>mysql</type>
<host>10.10.1.121</host>
<port>3306</port>
<user>root</user>
<pass></pass>
</musicdatabase>

<services>
<esport>9777</esport>
</services>

use xbmc and xbmc for MYSQLuser and MYSQLpass in the template screen itself, if you do that you should have little reason to mess with advancedsettings.xml unless there is a specific tweak you wish to set or some of the ones i have added in there don't suit you.

Sparkly - Still not working :( I have copied snapshots below, can you have a look? The IP address 10.10.1.121 is the unraid server address.

auto-generated advancedsettings.xml

<videodatabase>
<type>mysql</type>
<host>10.10.1.121</host>
<port>3306</port>
<user>xbmc</user>
<pass>xbmc</pass>
</videodatabase>
<musicdatabase>
<type>mysql</type>
<host>10.10.1.121</host>
<port>3306</port>
<user>xbmc</user>
<pass>xbmc</pass>
</musicdatabase>

<services>
<esport>9777</esport>
</services>

use xbmc and xbmc for MYSQLuser and MYSQLpass in the template screen itself, if you do that you should have little reason to mess with advancedsettings.xml unless there is a specific tweak you wish to set or some of the ones i have added in there don't suit you.

kodi-gui.gif.87b7befec3ca0bca195348631f0578fb.gif

kodi-docker.gif.9c2cff4e5534767640556d40e4d1cdf5.gif

heidisql.gif.c85a799605712a837e4a3a164b807f59.gif

change the host for the xbmc user to %

the way you have it set has two things wrong, docker to docker networking is internal when in bridge mode, they have their own dhcp setup and ip range, and the other is that even if it weren't, the only host that could use that username would be on your unraid server itself.

that kinda defeats the purpose of a mysql setup.

I didn't know that and I learnt something new today, thanks. I now changed the host ip to % in HeidiSQL, defined xbmc:xbmc for MYSQLuser/pass in Kodi docker. Does the MYSQLip remain as my unraid ip (10.10.1.121) or changes to localhost?

the way you have it set has two things wrong, docker to docker networking is internal when in bridge mode, they have their own dhcp setup and ip range, and the other is that even if it weren't, the only host that could use that username would be on your unraid server itself.

I didn't know that and I learnt something new today, thanks. I now changed the host ip to % in HeidiSQL, defined xbmc:xbmc for MYSQLuser/pass in Kodi docker. Does the MYSQLip remain as my unraid ip (10.10.1.121) or changes to localhost?

<Description>
A Headless installation of KODI (helix release-candidate ?)to enable SB, CP etc to send updates to[br][br]
[br]
Follow info here for MYSQL setup details:-[br] http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Sync_multiple_libraries/Setting_up_MySQL[br]
[b][span style='color: #E80000;']Directions:[/span][/b][br]
[b]/root/.kodi[/b] : this path is used to store the config files for KODI-Headless.[br]
The following variables need to be set to work with a MYSQL install[br]
MYSQLip :- IP address of your mysql installation [br][b]YOU MUST USE IP ADDRESS AND NOT HOST NAME[/b][br]
MYSQLport :- the port number for mysql on your mysql host (usually 3306)[br]
MYSQLuser :- The xbmc user for mysql host [b]NOT USUALLY ROOT[/b] [br]
MYSQLpass :- The xmbc password for mysql host[br]
[b]OTHER KODI INSTALLS ON YOUR LOCAL NETWORK MUST BE THE SAME VERSION (14)[br] AND HAVE SAME SETTINGS IN advancedsettings.xml TO SHARE A COMMON LIBRARY[/b]
</Description>

I have been looking at editing the container and the template instructions didn't register, thanks for the reminder. The reason I asked was I had initially set it up as my unraid server ip last night from the template description but was still getting connection lost error. I am kind of lost now and do not know what else to check. There aren't many options to cross-check since this is a new installation. I will take a break from setting this up for now. Thanks your suggestion and help though.

MYSQLip :- IP address of your mysql installation [br][b]YOU MUST USE IP ADDRESS AND NOT HOST NAME[/b][br]

it's written in the description of the template mate.