Want to install Plex server in unRAID 6b12. Plugin or docker?

almarma

Hi everybody!

Newbie question here: I want to install Plex in my unraid server using unraid 6 beta12. Should I go the plugin way or the docker way? I found Phaze has some fantastic plugins out there, and they are quite easy to install, but I also read that dockers are the future, so I'm wondering if I should go the docker way instead of the plugin one. In my understanding, right now the dockers way seems to be much more complex to setup, isn't it?

About resources, does both ways have the same requirements or one is more ram or cpu intensive that the other? Can both be run from the usb stick or need a harddisk or something? Reliability? Updates?

I've tried to search about it in the forum but I couldn't find a clue :(

Docker is the best 'forward thinking' option.

Just enable Docker, then add a couple of template repositories:

https://github.com/gfjardim/docker-containers/tree/templates

https://github.com/sparklyballs/docker-repo/tree/templates/

Then you should be able to add Plex and anything else you need from the pulldown of available containers.

The concept may take a bit of understanding, but for the most part they are pretty easy to use - especially since most others are using Docker containers now too, so if you have any questions there are a bunch of people who can help out.

Thank you everybody for your kind and useful answers!

I'll try the docker way then! :). But I have yet a couple of questions:

Checking the docker tab in the admin page, I see a docker image file that needs to be created. It seems to be like a virtual disk, right?

Does it means that if that harddisk is broken, Plex will be down too until I replace it? Could it be moved to another disk if I detect something is wrong with the disk? Will the disk be always on if Plex is on?

I ask it because right now Im using Plex and Transmission on a Mac mini, and they monitor and use the remote folders from the unraid server. They're keeping 33 simultaneous connections constantly, and the harddisk on the server is always on, and I was wondering if having Plex and maybe Transmission too, could be nicer with the disks

I have a SSD drive for my cache where docker resides.  What you are creating there is the loopback that exists on every distro that docker runs on.  Also, make sure you create the directory first as well.  If you make it /mnt/cache/docker/image then that directory must exist first.

Kryspy

I have a SSD drive for my cache where docker resides.  What you are creating there is the loopback that exists on every distro that docker runs on.  Also, make sure you create the directory first as well.  If you make it /mnt/cache/docker/image then that directory must exist first.

Kryspy

You can actually just put it at the root of the cache drive, /mnt/cache. Mover won't touch files at the root of cache, only folders. If you do put it in a folder, make sure that share is set to cache-only.

Hi again!

I don't understand yet what is the loop back for, but as I see from your comments, I need also a separate folder for the settings for each docker I install?

Do you have a cache drive? What's typically done is to create a cache-only share, for example appdata, and let the dockers each use subfolders of that. For example, /mnt/cache/appdata/transmission, /mnt/cache/appdata/plex, etc.

Hi again!

I don't understand yet what is the loop back for, but as I see from your comments, I need also a separate folder for the settings for each docker I install?

Just to help clarify, the loopback is really a virtual disk that gets mounted and is available to Docker/apps. When we first started with Docker and UnRAID you needed to format an entire disk with a specific OS, but this caused users a lot of issues (those of us with cache disks needed to move everything off the disk, reformat and move it back). LimeTech came up with an approach that creates a virtual hard disk, which shows up as a single file (docker.img) and that virtual disk is now formatted as required for Docker. As others have commented, it's usually preferable to set this up on a cache disk vs an array disk as it's usually heavily used that it helps make sure you don't have an array disk always running (though you could run from here if needed).

In addition, as you've noticed there is an external config directory for each docker container you create. The reason for this is that the docker app is locked down/inaccessible, but you need to be able to configure for your specific needs. So, each Docker points to an external config folder that holds your unique configurations.

Another nice aspect of the external config folder is if you need to wipe out and re-create a docker app, or upgrade a docker app then as long as you point to the same external config directory the app will remember all your settings.

Is there a way to "see" into the docker image?  While Plex is running fine, I haven't been able to configure sabnzdb to tell sickbeard that a download is ready for processing.  It appears to me that this is because a directory of files I need (autoProcessTV) is buried in the docker.img.  I need to make those files available to sabnzdb via it's scripts directory, which also is among the missing...

Is there a way to "see" into the docker image?  While Plex is running fine, I haven't been able to configure sabnzdb to tell sickbeard that a download is ready for processing.  It appears to me that this is because a directory of files I need (autoProcessTV) is buried in the docker.img.  I need to make those files available to sabnzdb via it's scripts directory, which also is among the missing...

Don't use sick or sab but in general the files you need to persist or you need access to should be mapped to somewhere on the host. Where is this autoProcessTV folder normally?

This is quite off topic from the original post and should have been it's own thread.

Use these commands to access a docker on the command line.

docker ps  = lists the ID of the containers.

docker exec -t -i "ID" /bin/bash  = change "ID" to the container number

In the Sickbeard docker you'd have to copy the files you need to /config

Then, on the unRAID server move the files over to the sab config directory (Where the sab docker /config is mapped to) so the sab container can access them.

The bad part of this is that the script won't be updated when it's changed in a Sickbeard update unless you repeat the above process.

I have SAB running as a Docker container. I have two external paths configured:

/config            /mnt/user/appdata/sabnzbd

/downloads      /mnt/user/appdata/Downloads/

Under the Downloads folder I have a scripts folder that contains the autoProcessTV config, so in SAB I have the post-processing folder configured as:

/downloads/scripts

I can then see autoProcessTV fine.

However, I don't even use this process anymore. I just point SickBeard to /downloads/complete for post processing (with the same /downloads path as SAB). This allows Sickbeard to monitor the folder without the SAB scripts.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just liked the separation. I have /mnt/cache/docker/appdata, /mnt/cache/docker/image and /mnt/docker/downloads

Kryspy

In a similar vein to the OP, if you wish to reference your docker image to a non-cache, non-array drive, am I following the correct approach:

1. FS: btrfs

2. Device: sdd

3. SNAP: Mount and Share

4. Network Path: \\Tower\ssd\docker\image

5. Docker image: /mnt/sdd/docker/image/docker.img

I have 1-4 covered, but 5 is a hurdle at this point. It doesn't really help that I don't know what I am doing  ???

EDIT: YEEESSS!!

Finally got Docker started!

I *think* my mistake was trying to reference the drive by Device ID instead of by the volume label.

So, /mnt/disk/SSD/docker/image/docker.img is what got me over the line.