Jump to content
Zeron

Open VM Tools for unRAID 6

250 posts in this topic Last Reply

Recommended Posts

On 6/2/2017 at 1:50 PM, DeeGee said:

 

I can't get this to work, but I'm unsure if its me as a new user doing something wrong?

This is the log when I try to install using the URL in the first post:

 


plugin: installing: http://unraid.zeron.ca/plugins/open-vm-tools/openVMTools.plg
plugin: downloading http://unraid.zeron.ca/plugins/open-vm-tools/openVMTools.plg
plugin: downloading: http://unraid.zeron.ca/plugins/open-vm-tools/openVMTools.plg ... done
plugin: downloading: http://unraid.zeron.ca/plugins/open-vm-tools/open_vm_tools-10.1.0.4449150-K4.9.30_unRaid-x86_64-26Zeron.tgz ... failed (Invalid URL / Server error response)
plugin: wget: http://unraid.zeron.ca/plugins/open-vm-tools/open_vm_tools-10.1.0.4449150-K4.9.30_unRaid-x86_64-26Zeron.tgz download failure (Invalid URL / Server error response)

 

The file is on the server and the logs show several hundred downloads since it was released.

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/7/2017 at 9:26 AM, clowrym said:

Is it possible to have VM's set up & have the VPN working for Network access as well? Currently if I run my VM's with a network bridge, I get no eccess to the rest of my network, only the unraid box I VPN to?

 

Probably, but this is not dependent on open-vm-tools.  Perhaps you should ask in a VMWare forum.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Zeron said:

 

Probably, but this is not dependent on open-vm-tools.  Perhaps you should ask in a VMWare forum.

May be a good idea, I catually thought I was in the Open-vpn forum when i wrote this!!

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, zin105 said:

 

Try changing the security settings of the port group/vswitch in Esxi to Enabled on all 3 settings.

Thanks for the response, its actually an issue with the VPN plugin not creating the routing properly if you have multiple nic's with not all set to be included in the bridge. I manually changed the openvpn plugin on my system to only use br0 when setting up the routing & not to look for non-bridge nic's &* everything is working perfectly!!

Share this post


Link to post

plugin: downloading: http://unraid.zeron.ca/plugins/open-vm-tools/openVMTools.plg ... done
Open-VM-Tools is not available for Kernel 4.12.14 Please update the plugin. 
Check here: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=38279.0 for more information.
plugin: installed

 

I'm a bit stuck as I enabled encryption so I can't go back to an older version with open-vm-tools support!

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, ZataH said:

When will it be updated for 6.4?

 

Shortly after it becomes "final."  Read through this thread. @zeron does not create new packages for beta releases.

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, ZataH said:

Any news on update for 6.4?

 

I no longer use unRaid under ESXi.

 

I had tried setting up a development VM, but was not able to get 6.4 to boot correctly.

 

If anyone else wants to take on building this, they can send me a message to get a copy of my build scripts.

Share this post


Link to post
39 minutes ago, Zeron said:

 

I no longer use unRaid under ESXi.

 

I had tried setting up a development VM, but was not able to get 6.4 to boot correctly.

 

If anyone else wants to take on building this, they can send me a message to get a copy of my build scripts.

Because of this, I'm going to mark this plugin as being incompatible with 6.4+ within Community Applications.  Should someone else take up the mantle, let me know.

Share this post


Link to post

This will be the reason one of my servers may never advance beyond 6.3.5.  ESXi passes through a PCI card on the only PCI slot on my MB unRAID/KVM does not.  I suspect the bridge chip used to provide the PCI slot.

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Zeron said:

 

I no longer use unRaid under ESXi.

 

I had tried setting up a development VM, but was not able to get 6.4 to boot correctly.

 

If anyone else wants to take on building this, they can send me a message to get a copy of my build scripts.

 

I use "plop" ISO mounted to CD in VMWare to boot a pass-thru USB device (UNRAID thumb drive).  I could send the ISO if you're willing to give this a try?

 

I could try taking on your build scripts but I'm not really sure what's involved.

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, ConnectivIT said:

 

I use "plop" ISO mounted to CD in VMWare to boot a pass-thru USB device (UNRAID thumb drive).  I could send the ISO if you're willing to give this a try?

 

I could try taking on your build scripts but I'm not really sure what's involved.

I also use this, works great

 

https://www.plop.at/en/plopkexec/download.html

Share this post


Link to post

I have 6.4.0 booting in a VMDK, but I get a cannot find device "bond0" error.  I do not get this error and everything works as expected on 6.3.5. 

 

I need to try it with a passthrough USB next to see if it can read the network.cfg from a USB.  Right now /boot/config only contains an ssh folder, but if I mount the VMDK on another VM, there is a network.cfg file.

 

I was looking forward to nginx, so I hope we can get this working.  If not, I will live out my days on 6.3.5 as I'm not willing to run unRAID as baremetal right now. That would be a huge waste of resources for me.

Edited by StevenD

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, StevenD said:

I have 6.4.0 booting in a VMDK, but I get a cannot find device "bond0" error.  I do not get this error and everything works as expected on 6.3.5. 

 

I need to try it with a passthrough USB next to see if it can read the network.cfg from a USB.  Right now /boot/config only contains an ssh folder, but if I mount the VMDK on another VM, there is a network.cfg file.

 

I was looking forward to nginx, so I hope we can get this working.  If not, I will live out my days on 6.3.5 as I'm not willing to run unRAID as baremetal right now. That would be a huge waste of resources for me.

 

Attached a plop ISO that will boot an UNRAID thumbdrive via USB passthrough. 

plop-bootusb.iso

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, StevenD said:

I have 6.4.0 booting in a VMDK, but I get a cannot find device "bond0" error.  I do not get this error and everything works as expected on 6.3.5. 

 

I need to try it with a passthrough USB next to see if it can read the network.cfg from a USB.  Right now /boot/config only contains an ssh folder, but if I mount the VMDK on another VM, there is a network.cfg file.

 

I was looking forward to nginx, so I hope we can get this working.  If not, I will live out my days on 6.3.5 as I'm not willing to run unRAID as baremetal right now. That would be a huge waste of resources for me.

If you get a "bond0" error. That should be network related.

Try to login to your console. Do a "ifconfig -a" and after that edit your /boot/config/network.cfg and see if the interface match your output from ifconfig.

Maybe your interface name has changed. Should be something like ethXX where is X is usually 0 or 1

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, ZataH said:

If you get a "bond0" error. That should be network related.

Try to login to your console. Do a "ifconfig -a" and after that edit your /boot/config/network.cfg and see if the interface match your output from ifconfig.

Maybe your interface name has changed. Should be something like ethXX where is X is usually 0 or 1

 

Read my post again. There is no network.cfg file. There are no .cfg files at all.

Share this post


Link to post
42 minutes ago, StevenD said:

 

Read my post again. There is no network.cfg file. There are no .cfg files at all.

Then have you a corrupt flash drive? there must be /boot/config/network.cfg file..

 

i'm running unRAID in ESXi environment too..

i just setup new trial usb key and boot it in my test environment. no problems with boot, i'm using PlopKExec method.

and according network bond, it's default config with acive-backup mode..

 

another small issue - while array is not started, i get this message in syslog every one second:

Jan 19 08:02:44 Tower emhttpd: device /dev/sdb problem getting id

 

not sure about sdb, cos i don't see it anywhere in gui.

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, uldise said:

Then have you a corrupt flash drive? there must be /boot/config/network.cfg file..

 

i'm running unRAID in ESXi environment too..

i just setup new trial usb key and boot it in my test environment. no problems with boot, i'm using PlopKExec method.

and according network bond, it's default config with acive-backup mode..

 

another small issue - while array is not started, i get this message in syslog every one second:

Jan 19 08:02:44 Tower emhttpd: device /dev/sdb problem getting id

 

not sure about sdb, cos i don't see it anywhere in gui.

 

I haven't actually done any testing with a USB key yet.  I have a VMDK that 6.3.5 was installed on.  It booted just fine, and I could access the GUI via the IP in the console.  Obviously I couldnt set up an array or anything, but I could at least boot and access the GUI.

 

I upgraded that VMDK to 6.4.0, and it I get the error listed above. 

 

I planned on doing some more testing with another USB key today, but for some reason, neither my 2nd or 3rd key are licensed.  I own three unraid Pro licenses, so I need to get that worked out first.

Share this post


Link to post
22 hours ago, Zeron said:

 

I no longer use unRaid under ESXi.

 

I had tried setting up a development VM, but was not able to get 6.4 to boot correctly.

 

If anyone else wants to take on building this, they can send me a message to get a copy of my build scripts.

 

I have a working dev unraid VM already setup (using plopkexec) so I'll see if I can get something working - PM sent to @Zeron

 

Share this post


Link to post

I have the same bond0 error that StevenD has.  It's not actually a network error, but it is not loading a driver for storage device and therefore is not able to read anything fro the USB.

 

So far two people have asked fro the scripts I used for 6.3 - hopefully one of them will have better luck getting this working.

 

It is not a simple task to build this plugin.  Every time the unRAID kernel is changed, you have to create new patches to get open-vm-tools to work with the new kernel version.  This is also why I never build for beta and RC's as it would take me a full 8-10 hour day to get it building again.

 

Edited by Zeron

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, StevenD said:

 

Read my post again. There is no network.cfg file. There are no .cfg files at all.

Sorry I missed that. 

 

So from what I can gather, your VM can boot the VMDK, but it cant read the content in the boot process. 

I have never tried to boot this way, I have always used usb flash and plopkexec. That has always worked. 

Only flaw in that setup, is that you cant vmotion that vm. 

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, ZataH said:

Sorry I missed that. 

 

So from what I can gather, your VM can boot the VMDK, but it cant read the content in the boot process. 

I have never tried to boot this way, I have always used usb flash and plopkexec. That has always worked. 

Only flaw in that setup, is that you cant vmotion that vm. 

 

unraid on a vmdk boots in like 15 seconds. I really like that.

 

I cant vmotion anyway as I am using hardware passthrough.

Share this post


Link to post

FYI...I get the same results booting UEFI.  I will play around with PLOP and an actual USB later.

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.