Jump to content
Zeron

Open VM Tools for unRAID 6

252 posts in this topic Last Reply

Recommended Posts

deleted

Edited by StevenD
fixed the error and doesnt have anything to do with issue being worked

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, uldise said:

huh, just tried to update my test server from 6.4.1 to 6.5.1. auto update did not work for me, after reboot i got kernel panic:

end kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(3,0)

 

then i just redid my flash drive - copied manually all bz* files from downloaded install zip file, run make_bootable.bat on Windows machine, and then i was able to boot unRAID correctly.

i was changed nothing according openvmtools. on first boot it just recompiled a openvmtools package (may be from old source on the flash? don't know) and it started successfully. another reboot to clean up syslog, and all is up and running, ESXi reports VMTools running..

 

I downloaded the version of the plg you posted last month and it still isnt working for me. Same error.

 


+==============================================================================
| Installing new package /boot/packages/open_vm_tools-10.2.0-4.14.35-unRAID-x86_64.tgz
+==============================================================================

Verifying package open_vm_tools-10.2.0-4.14.35-unRAID-x86_64.tgz.
Installing package open_vm_tools-10.2.0-4.14.35-unRAID-x86_64.tgz:
PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:
Executing install script for open_vm_tools-10.2.0-4.14.35-unRAID-x86_64.tgz.
Package open_vm_tools-10.2.0-4.14.35-unRAID-x86_64.tgz installed.


Starting VMWare Tools Daemon.
plugin: run failed: /bin/bash retval: 127

Share this post


Link to post

@StevenD may i just upload my open_vm_tools-10.2.0-4.14.35-unRAID-x86_64.tgz to you? 

i'm not sure if it works, but may be it's worth a try?

if yes, just send PM to me with some info, where i can upload it.

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, uldise said:

@StevenD may i just upload my open_vm_tools-10.2.0-4.14.35-unRAID-x86_64.tgz to you? 

i'm not sure if it works, but may be it's worth a try?

if yes, just send PM to me with some info, where i can upload it.

 

Before you do that, what size is it?

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, StevenD said:

 

Before you do that, what size is it?

it's about 4MB. look at your file size, it must be something similar.. 

Share this post


Link to post

Well, I'm not sure what I was doing wrong, but its working now on 6.5.1.

 

I fired up my test VM, ran the OS update, copied the 11 files over to the VMDK, then rebooted.  It took a while, but it came back up and re-compiled the open-vm-tools package and it shows that its Running.  I didn't update the plugin at all.

 

So, I deleted all the packages on my production unRAID, and copied the unmodified plugin file over, and now everything is working just fine.

 

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, markswift said:

Guys, which is the best version to use?

use Auto plugin. just be sure to update all changed filenames. they are changing on slack repository very fast..

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, uldise said:

use Auto plugin. just be sure to update all changed filenames. they are changing on slack repository very fast..

I assume the last version you posted is best?

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, markswift said:

I assume the last version you posted is best?

take it, but correct all the filenames. i was done it by just trying to download one by one from my browser - if it says not found, then look at repository for correct one. file names should be very similar, just file versions are changing.. if file name was changed, then replace it in all places in the script.  

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/27/2018 at 11:07 AM, StevenD said:

Well, I'm not sure what I was doing wrong, but its working now on 6.5.1.

 

I fired up my test VM, ran the OS update, copied the 11 files over to the VMDK, then rebooted.  It took a while, but it came back up and re-compiled the open-vm-tools package and it shows that its Running.  I didn't update the plugin at all.

 

So, I deleted all the packages on my production unRAID, and copied the unmodified plugin file over, and now everything is working just fine.

 

Thanks!

I'm getting the same error as you after sorting out all the package names.

 

Starting VMWare Tools Daemon.
plugin: run failed: /bin/bash retval: 127

 

Cant seem to make it work.

 

Also I have attached the latest plg with the updated slackware packages.

 

 

 

 

openVMTools_auto.plg

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/20/2018 at 3:51 AM, simon021 said:

I'm getting the same error as you after sorting out all the package names.

 


Starting VMWare Tools Daemon.
plugin: run failed: /bin/bash retval: 127

 

Cant seem to make it work.

 

Also I have attached the latest plg with the updated slackware packages.

 

 

 

 

openVMTools_auto.plg

 

I'm also unable to get the auto plugin to work, even after updating all the slackware packages.  Unraid 6.5.2

 

Earlier it was mentioned that stable-10.2.0.tar.gz should be 4MB - mine is 3,126KB, is this what others (who have this working) are seeing?

 

Quote

Would you like to reset all directory permissions to 755 (drwxr-xr-x) and
directory ownerships to root.root ([y]es, [n]o)? n

WARNING: /tmp/ovt_build is chmod 777
temporarily changing to chmod 755
Creating Slackware package: /boot/packages/open_vm_tools-10.2.0-4.14.40-unRAID-x86_64.tgz

WARNING: zero length file sbin/ifup

Restoring permissions of /tmp/ovt_build to chmod 777

Slackware package /boot/packages/open_vm_tools-10.2.0-4.14.40-unRAID-x86_64.tgz created.


+==============================================================================
| Installing new package /boot/packages/open_vm_tools-10.2.0-4.14.40-unRAID-x86_64.tgz
+==============================================================================

Verifying package open_vm_tools-10.2.0-4.14.40-unRAID-x86_64.tgz.
Installing package open_vm_tools-10.2.0-4.14.40-unRAID-x86_64.tgz:
PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:
Executing install script for open_vm_tools-10.2.0-4.14.40-unRAID-x86_64.tgz.
Package open_vm_tools-10.2.0-4.14.40-unRAID-x86_64.tgz installed.


Starting VMWare Tools Daemon.
plugin: run failed: /bin/bash retval: 127

 

Are other people seeing this error?

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, ConnectivIT said:

 

I'm also unable to get the auto plugin to work, even after updating all the slackware packages.  Unraid 6.5.2

 

Earlier it was mentioned that stable-10.2.0.tar.gz should be 4MB - mine is 3,126KB, is this what others (who have this working) are seeing?

 

 

Are other people seeing this error?

 

Download https://ufile.io/sch95 and extract it to \\unraidName\flash\packages.

 

Download https://ufile.io/vwyb9 and extract it to \\unraidName\flash\config\plugins.  Rename openVMTools_auto_652.plg to openVMTools_auto.plg.

 

Then, either reboot, or install the plugin via the GUI.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

I think I might know what's going on here and why this works for some people and not others.  Compare packages from my fresh plugin install to the packages from StevenD's archive above:

https://imgur.com/a/nK7uNi2

 

I think the difference might be that StevenD was building on a previous version of unRAID / openVMTools_auto.plg and already had previous versions of some of the packages at \\unraidName\flash\packages

 

Because his version of the plugin already had the file and packages download, he didn't have to update them to the latest version.

 

This was my first time using openVMTools_auto.plg , so I was forced to update the plugin file to grab later versions of automake, glibc, etc. from here: http://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/slackware64-current/slackware64/l/

 

Presumably there's some incompatibility with later versions of one or more of these tools?

Share this post


Link to post
20 minutes ago, ConnectivIT said:

I think the difference might be that StevenD was building on a previous version of unRAID / openVMTools_auto.plg and already had previous versions of some of the packages at \\unraidName\flash\packages

 

 

That is correct.  I experienced troubles when I tried updating the packages in the plugin.  I will keep using the existing packages until it no longer compiles.

Share this post


Link to post

Hi

 

I installed the plugin today and it seems to install correctly.  However my ESXI vsphere web client still tells me no vmtools installed?  I know on my ubuntu VMs and opentools it shows as installed (Guest Managed).

 

So is the plugin installed and actually working?  I do not seem to have any OS shutdown option for my unraid VM setup with the plugin installed.

 

EDIT.   Its' been so long since i need to post (unraid just works solid) that I think a lot has changed in way people run unraid as a VM.   My setup was done using plop boot manager.   So I think to use vmtools plugin correctly, I would need to move and create a VM from using one of the vmdks from here?  But that makes upgrading unraid more difficult and would rather stick with plop.

 

 

 

Thanks

Paul

Edited by ptmuldoon

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, ptmuldoon said:

EDIT.   Its' been so long since i need to post (unraid just works solid) that I think a lot has changed in way people run unraid as a VM.   My setup was done using plop boot manager.   So I think to use vmtools plugin correctly, I would need to move and create a VM from using one of the vmdks from here?  But that makes upgrading unraid more difficult and would rather stick with plop.

No, just stay with plopKExec, it works just fine.

BTW, which plugin are you installed? there are more than one.. 

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, uldise said:

No, just stay with plopKExec, it works just fine.

BTW, which plugin are you installed? there are more than one.. 

 

Thank for getting back to me.  And yes, I plan to stay with PlopKExec as well.

 

For the plugin, I installed the one from Zeron.  It shows installed correctly, but ESXi continues to say not tools installed.

 

Is there a another recommended one?  My unraid is currently up to to date using build 6.5.2

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, ptmuldoon said:

Is there a another recommended one?  My unraid is currently up to to date using build 6.5.2

Zeron's one is no more maintained, so it will not work with unRAID 6.5...

read some posts above, there are new method to install open-vm-tools. see here for example:

https://lime-technology.com/forums/topic/36603-open-vm-tools-for-unraid-6/?do=findComment&comment=659537

 

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/21/2018 at 4:03 PM, StevenD said:

 

Download https://ufile.io/sch95 and extract it to \\unraidName\flash\packages.

 

Download https://ufile.io/vwyb9 and extract it to \\unraidName\flash\config\plugins.  Rename openVMTools_auto_652.plg to openVMTools_auto.plg.

 

Then, either reboot, or install the plugin via the GUI.

 

 

 

 

Any chance someone could post these somewhere else again? Seems like the free download period has ended. Much appreciated!

Edited by sirkuz

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.