How much memory should I get?

dikkiedirk

I took the long and hard road to learn my lesson... more is always better.

I started with 2 GB of Ram because I ONLY WANTED A NAS, I DON'T NEED ANY STINKING PLUGINS...

but then whoa what's this Plex thing... 8 GB of RAM buts that's all I'll ever need!

wait what, virtual machines... fancy, must buy 16 GB of RAM...

Moral of the story, buy all the RAM!

I echo others sentiments, started with a Celeron processor and 4gb RAM and that was plenty.... For a while.

Now I'm using an i5 and had 8gb in 4 x 2gb configuration.  My upgrade was expensive and I wish I'd bought 8gb sticks to start with.  I now have 32gb but I am quite keen on messing around with VMs.

I'd recommend at least 4gb sticks, two if you can afford it.

All I need to know is how much is needed with SABNZB and the docker I mentioned. It is for a small server without VMs. Does memory always get filled up in unraid/Linux? No matter how much you put in?

I can't speak to that specific upnp Docker, but I run unRAID 6 with cache_dirs, sab in a Docker, and a few other Dockers and only assign it 4 GB of RAM.  I've never had an OOM issue, but I could also feed it more memory if I ultimately needed to.  With this in mind, I'd say while you can probably get away with 4 GB, perhaps 8 GB is better so you can have some room to grow/decide to add in some other Dockers/use cases.

One important thing to remember is that unRAID will use any extra RAM for caching disk writes.  This can speed writes to the array if you are not using a cache drive.  I have not been following the memory market lately but there is usually a sweet spot of $(Euro)/GB.  When you determine that point, the rule always was to buy two modules of that size since a pair results in faster memory operation. 

I have a rule... buy as much RAM as the motherboard will hold!

Nice rule... but... the H8DME-2 supports 128 GB  of buffered ECC :'(  ;D

Gee, you mean you don't want to buy 16 8GB Registered modules ?? !!  :)

Surely you don't want to shortchange your server's capabilities over a few thousand dollars worth of RAM  8) 8)

(At $200-300 each it would, of course, cost a bit to fully populate that board)

A bit more seriously ...

=> With an unbuffered motherboard, I'd recommend installing TWO of the largest modules it supports ... typically that means a pair of 8GB modules these days, as even if the board supports 16GB modules, these are VERY costly at the moment.    Installing more than 2 modules will generally work; but the degraded waveforms on the data and address buses can cause reliability issues, and may require that the modules be run at a slightly slower clock speed and/or with longer latency settings.

=>  With a board that uses buffered RAM, you can install as many modules as you want.  But (as with pkn's board) many boards will support far more modules than you realistically need to use ... so you need to decide just how much RAM you want to have.

Personally, I've found that 16GB is PLENTY for almost any personal/home needs.  For what you've outlined, 8GB is plenty, but I'd nevertheless install 16GB so you have plenty of future "headroom."

Archived