unRAID Server Release 6.0-beta15-x86_64 Available

I have encountered a problem with Beta15.  I have installed 6b15 only on my test bed server only at this point.  When playing any BluRay iso on my  NTV550 media player using SMB, the  playback will stall and I also get audio dropouts.  All of this will occur within a minute of two of beginning playback. 

Reverting back to 6b14b, the problem disappears.  The problem appears on both of my NTV550s.  I have rebooted the network switch in case that might be a factor.  I see nothing in the log to indicate any problem.  (I am attaching the log in any case.)  There are no transmission errors shown on the Dashboard.

Because I am using flash card reader (with a good GUID), I can quickly switch between versions so I have tested both versions several times to verify that the problem only exits in 6b15.

syslog.zip

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

I encountered a minor Docker tab GUI issue while updating a Docker container. When pulling a fs layer, [in the attached jpg] the stats showed an impressive percentage in the downloading information. The container downladed fine in the end, but thought it worth the mention for you to be aware of.

FoldingAtHome was the first docker I had updated after updating unRAID to beta 15 (from 14b). My other dockers did not have this percentage display problem during their updates.

cheers,

gwl

updating_docker_container_2.jpg.f42784b0331a7f6180320b42b94434e3.jpg

well for someone who has never created a VM before, it was all very well labelled and understandable. Although simple, i already have a ubuntu VM up and running.

Thanks team

one quick question, do i need to have "Setup bridge:" enabled for this to work? It was already enabled from a previous xen attempt i think and i'm wondering if i can disable it?

Yes you need a network bridge set up in settings/network. If you have xenbr0 still set up you can use that or shorten it to br0

Actually that isn't correct. Another change we made was the auto creation of a private NAT bridge manage by libvirt when you enable VMs. If you leave the alternate network bridge field blank, new VMs you create will use the private bridge. Existing VMs can be updated to use the private bridge if you so desire. To update an existing VM, click the edit icon on the main VMs page for the VM you wish to adjust, then turn on advanced view, and you will see where you can change the bridge on a per-VM basis. The private NAT bridge name is virbr0.

Got it

trying to setup a VM of Ubuntu  but getting this error when I hit create

Error creating VM: Cannot check QEMU binary 408f302d-dad7-dd11-8030-08606e88d06bx86_64SandyBridgeInteltcprdma16190888none0dac0+0:+100+0:+100hvm32/usr/bin/qemu-system-x86_64pcpc-1.3pc-0.12pc-q35-1.6xenpvpc-i440fx-1.7pc-q35-1.5pc-i440fx-1.6q35pc-q35-2.1pc-0.11pc-1.2isapcpc-0.10pc-q35-1.4xenfvpc-0.15pc-i440fx-1.5pc-q35-2.0pc-i440fx-1.4pc-0.14pc-1.1pc-q35-1.7pc-i440fx-2.1pc-1.0pc-i440fx-2.0pc-0.13hvm64/usr/bin/qemu-system-x86_64pcpc-1.3pc-0.12pc-q35-1.6xenpvpc-i440fx-1.7pc-q35-1.5pc-i440fx-1.6q35pc-q35-2.1pc-0.11pc-1.2isapcpc-0.10pc-q35-1.4xenfvpc-0.15pc-i440fx-1.5pc-q35-2.0pc-i440fx-1.4pc-0.14pc-1.1pc-q35-1.7pc-i440fx-2.1pc-1.0pc-i440fx-2.0pc-0.13: No such file or directory

Ok, can you switch to advanced view and change the CPU mode to emulated and try again?

I have encountered a problem with Beta15.  I have installed 6b15 only on my test bed server only at this point.  When playing any BluRay iso on my  NTV550 media player using SMB, the  playback will stall and I also get audio dropouts.  All of this will occur within a minute of two of beginning playback. 

Reverting back to 6b14b, the problem disappears.  The problem appears on both of my NTV550s.  I have rebooted the network switch in case that might be a factor.  I see nothing in the log to indicate any problem.  (I am attaching the log in any case.)  There are no transmission errors shown on the Dashboard.

Because I am using flash card reader (with a good GUID), I can quickly switch between versions so I have tested both versions several times to verify that the problem only exits in 6b15.

If you attempt to play the ISO using other devices such as a windows machine, do the playback issues still occur?

hopefully a quick question with an even quicker answer relating to the VM Plugins.

If a user is on beta14b do they need to remove BOTH the "vm manager" and the "libvirt" plugin? Or just the "vm manager" ?

Both.

I rolled the dice while waiting, I removed both and rebooted with great success.

Thanks. Things are really coming together nicely.

If you attempt to play the ISO using other devices such as a windows machine, do the playback issues still occur?

OK.  I normally don't play BluRay's on my Windows machine but I kludged together a setup that will do it. (One of my movie-watching setups has a 120" 2.35:1 screen!)  I used Virtual CroneDrive to mount the ISO and then Used CyperLink PowereDVD8 to play it.  The bluRay played normally. 

This is good but it does really address my issue (and probably a lot of other people who have older media players that they want to use).  I am surmising that some of the recent 'updates' to SMB is partially breaking SMB compatibility with older versions.  I feel that somehow this issue is going to have to be addressed. 

hopefully a quick question with an even quicker answer relating to the VM Plugins.

If a user is on beta14b do they need to remove BOTH the "vm manager" and the "libvirt" plugin? Or just the "vm manager" ?

Both.

I rolled the dice while waiting, I removed both and rebooted with great success.

Thanks. Things are really coming together nicely.

Do my eyes deceive me?  Is that actually a compliment from BRiT?!  Must be my birthday or something

In all seriousness though, thanks. A lot of hard work went into this release over the past two months. Glad to see its bearing fruit for everyone.

OK.  I normally don't play BluRay's on my Windows machine but I kludged together a setup that will do it. (One of my movie-watching setups has a 120" 2.35:1 screen!)  I used Virtual CroneDrive to mount the ISO and then Used CyperLink PowereDVD8 to play it.  The bluRay played normally. 

This is good but it does really address my issue (and probably a lot of other people who have older media players that they want to use).  I am surmising that some of the recent 'updates' to SMB is partially breaking SMB compatibility with older versions.  I feel that somehow this issue is going to have to be addressed.

Yeah I'm not writing this off as a device issue because, as you've said, it doesn't affect you on the previous beta. Just wanted to have you test to see.

I will mark this down for us to investigate.

Can you actually post this as a defect report for us so if others have the same problem, we can track it?

Why does the array need to be running for the Docker and VM tab to be available?

I've been playing with VM and passthrough for a while (often from the command line) and have had issues with the VM freezing.  For instance, on initial load of the image, since nvidia drivers aren't installed initially, after the first shutdown/restart the video card gets in a wonky state and I've needed to restart unRAID to get the video working again.

But stopping the array has been problematic, as the location of my VM can't be stopped.  Thus I've had to force shutdown and then deal with the array sync afterwards.

I've gotten in the habit of leaving the array off when I try anything tricky with VMs.  Thus the question.  I manually mount a non-array btrfs drive for VMs in my go script, BTW.

Hi,

I encountered a minor Docker tab GUI issue while updating a Docker container. When pulling a fs layer, [in the attached jpg] the stats showed an impressive percentage in the downloading information. The container downladed fine in the end, but thought it worth the mention for you to be aware of.

FoldingAtHome was the first docker I had updated after updating unRAID to beta 15 (from 14b). My other dockers did not have this percentage display problem during their updates.

cheers,

gwl

Well apparently you're downloading is so good it goes above and beyond 100%! 

That is odd to say the least. Has it happened with any other containers?

If you were on the latest VM Manager then you should already have removed the libvirt plugin even running 14b.

If you were on the latest VM Manager then you should already have removed the libvirt plugin even running 14b.

Really? Well they're both gone now. :D

Would be nice to have plugin dependencies / warning in situations like that, but that gets complicated fast.

Why does the array need to be running for the Docker and VM tab to be available?

I've been playing with VM and passthrough for a while (often from the command line) and have had issues with the VM freezing.  For instance, on initial load of the image, since nvidia drivers aren't installed initially, after the first shutdown/restart the video card gets in a wonky state and I've needed to restart unRAID to get the video working again.

But stopping the array has been problematic, as the location of my VM can't be stopped.  Thus I've had to force shutdown and then deal with the array sync afterwards.

I've gotten in the habit of leaving the array off when I try anything tricky with VMs.  Thus the question.  I manually mount a non-array btrfs drive for VMs in my go script, BTW.

We treat them as system services so they start and stop with the system.

Can you elaborate on this:  But stopping the array has been problematic, as the location of my VM can't be stopped.

Hi,

cheers,

gwl

Well apparently you're downloading is so good it goes above and beyond 100%! 

That is odd to say the least. Has it happened with any other containers?

No, my other containers did not show the extraordinary stat during their updates.

cheers,

gwl

Yeah I'm not writing this off as a device issue because, as you've said, it doesn't affect you on the previous beta. Just wanted to have you test to see.

I will mark this down for us to investigate.

Can you actually post this as a defect report for us so if others have the same problem, we can track it?

Done

Really? Well they're both gone now. :D

Would be nice to have plugin dependencies / warning in situations like that, but that gets complicated fast.

I actually posted a separate announcement about VM Manager that highlighted this, but now that beta 15 is out, I just updated the OP here with this information as well.

Can you elaborate on this:  But stopping the array has been problematic, as the location of my VM can't be stopped.

The symptom is simply that the array would not stop.  I'm not sure what the internal reason was.  My recollection is that with passthrough and initial install of nvidia drivers, neither restart/shutdown of the VM would work without restarting unRAID.  I have been assuming that that left libvirt or the unmount process in a weird state where one of them was waiting for a state change that wasn't going to happen.  Stopping the array wouldn't work, and the powerdown command never returned.  So I had to powerdown the system physically.

I've also passed through pci devices, drives and the ceton card and had various issues and had to destroy the VM other times as well.  I've been worried this would prevent my from stopping the array too, thus I've done these tests with the array off.

The symptom is simply that the array would not stop.  I'm not sure what the internal reason was.  My recollection is that with passthrough and initial install of nvidia drivers, neither restart/shutdown of the VM would work without restarting unRAID.  I have been assuming that that left libvirt or the unmount process in a weird state where one of them was waiting for a state change that wasn't going to happen.  Stopping the array wouldn't work, and the powerdown command never returned.  So I had to powerdown the system physically.

I've also passed through pci devices, drives and the ceton card and had various issues and had to destroy the VM other times as well.  I've been worried this would prevent my from stopping the array too, thus I've done these tests with the array off.

What GPU are you using?