unRAID Server Release 6.0-beta15-x86_64 Available

BTW, it is basic relative to your UI, but I've been using the following python script to start the VM and configure what I want passed through.  I uses the attached xml as the basis.  I'm curious what effects the differences between your autogenerated xml and the attached have.

run.txt should be run.py but I don't think .py is allowed for upload.  dvd.txt should be dvd.xml.  I can use these pass other devices, like my usb3 pci card, or the DVD optical drive, to the VM.

I think I need to continue using my script for now, until adding additional pass-through devices is supported.

run.txt

dvd.txt

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What GPU are you using?

NVIDIA GT 730

I haven't been using the hyper-v extensions and using current drivers.

Ok, here's what I would suggest. Try to see if you can get video on your monitor creating an OVMF virtual machine (you don't even need to specify a vdisk or install media, just create and see if the monitor lights up).  If so, this may solve a lot of your reset issues.

The problem with VGA pass through is that it requires a lot of workarounds and even then, quirks like what you are experiencing can happen with certain hardware. With UEFI, the hackery goes away and it is natively supported.

Another thing to ask is whether or not you are using the PCIe ACS override.  If so, that could also cause issues with multiple device assignments depending on your hardware. This is why we don't have ubiquitous support for PCI device assignment in the webgui itself yet (graphics / sound only for now).

Ok, here's what I would suggest. Try to see if you can get video on your monitor creating an OVMF virtual machine (you don't even need to specify a vdisk or install media, just create and see if the monitor lights up).  If so, this may solve a lot of your reset issues.

Is there a summary of the changes needed to move to OVMF somewhere I can check out?  I'm not sure how to give it a try....

Is there a summary of the changes needed to move to OVMF somewhere I can check out?  I'm not sure how to give it a try....

You cannot convert an existing VM to OVMF and I need to write up a formal guide on it, but to give it a go, turn on advanced mode in the vm creation page and select OVMF from the BIOS drop down.

Update appears to have gone well, but after a reboot the array was stopped and I have a message of "Too many assigned devices or too many attachd devices. Please consider upgrading your registration key."

This machine is not licensed (trial only), and my configuration is 1 parity drive, 2 data drives, and another drive mounted outside of unraid.  Would this be expected moving from 14b to 15b?  I realize I am long overdue to purchase a license for this rig...

Update appears to have gone well, but after a reboot the array was stopped and I have a message of "Too many assigned devices or too many attachd devices. Please consider upgrading your registration key."

This machine is not licensed (trial only), and my configuration is 1 parity drive, 2 data drives, and another drive mounted outside of unraid.  Would this be expected moving from 14b to 15b?  I realize I am long overdue to purchase a license for this rig...

Yes. Trial is restricted to 3 devices as of beta 15. You can hot plug devices manually after array start, but after a reboot you will need to detach them before you can start the array again. Alternately you could purchase a Basic key which does not have this restriction.

I have encountered a problem with Beta15.  I have installed 6b15 only on my test bed server only at this point.  When playing any BluRay iso on my  NTV550 media player using SMB, the  playback will stall and I also get audio dropouts.  All of this will occur within a minute of two of beginning playback. 

Reverting back to 6b14b, the problem disappears.  The problem appears on both of my NTV550s.  I have rebooted the network switch in case that might be a factor.  I see nothing in the log to indicate any problem.  (I am attaching the log in any case.)  There are no transmission errors shown on the Dashboard.

Because I am using flash card reader (with a good GUID), I can quickly switch between versions so I have tested both versions several times to verify that the problem only exits in 6b15.

What SAS card do you have if you are using one?  I have had this issue with my IBM 1015 crossflashed cards... or at least I think it's the cards as I am not certain yet.

craigr

You cannot convert an existing VM to OVMF and I need to write up a formal guide on it, but to give it a go, turn on advanced mode in the vm creation page and select OVMF from the BIOS drop down.

Tried an OVMF system.  It worked to the extent that it was pushing UEFI stuff to the screen, but it didn't like something and dropped me into a UEFI shell.  No idea what to do there.  I tried the reset command, which basically stopped anything from going to the monitor.

On the plus side, I could stop the array and restart....

Tried an OVMF system.  It worked to the extent that it was pushing UEFI stuff to the screen, but it didn't like something and dropped me into a UEFI shell.  No idea what to do there.  I tried the reset command, which basically stopped anything from going to the monitor.

On the plus side, I could stop the array and restart....

Then you sir are a lucky man.  The only thing that matters was that the monitor lit up.  If your GPU didn't have UEFI support, it wouldn't have lit up at all.

I'm working on a guide for OVMF, but here's the quick skinny:

1)  When you get to the efi shell, type the following commands:

fs0:
cd efi/boot
bootx64.efi

This will get you to the installer for your OS.

2)  After the installer is done and you reboot, if it takes you to the shell again, type the same commands, but start with fs1: instead of fs0:

Let me know if this gets you going or not.

fs0:
cd efi/boot
bootx64.efi

fs0:

returns 'fs0:' is not a valid mapping.

The Mapping Table is listing BLK0: - BLK5:, with 0/1 saying "Floppy" and 3 saying "CDROM"

... Is it safe to jump straight into this one?

Beta 15 is certainly VERY close to the RC releases and subsequent stable release ... BUT there were a LOT of changes with this version.    For the most part I agree with Squid ... you should be fine.

HOWEVER ... given the fairly frequent need for "a" and/or "b" releases within a week of many of the Beta releases, I'd wait a week or so to confirm there are no hidden "gotchas" before making the move if you're putting this on your main server and not a test box.    I always upgrade instantly on my test box ... but NEVER on my main servers (none of which are yet on v6).

Hi,

I encountered a minor Docker tab GUI issue while updating a Docker container. When pulling a fs layer, [in the attached jpg] the stats showed an impressive percentage in the downloading information. The container downladed fine in the end, but thought it worth the mention for you to be aware of.

FoldingAtHome was the first docker I had updated after updating unRAID to beta 15 (from 14b). My other dockers did not have this percentage display problem during their updates.

cheers,

gwl

I got the same thing when installing the Tonido docker.  No problems with 14b but with 15 I saw some really interesting download percentages. It appears to have downloaded and installed without issue other than the whacked out percentages  Everything else in beta 15 looks solid so far.

6p8c2u.jpg

fs0:
cd efi/boot
bootx64.efi

fs0:

returns 'fs0:' is not a valid mapping.

The Mapping Table is listing BLK0: - BLK5:, with 0/1 saying "Floppy" and 3 saying "CDROM"

What ISO are you trying to use for the install media?

I got the same thing when installing the Tonido docker.  No problems with 14b but with 15 I saw some really interesting download percentages. It appears to have downloaded and installed without issue other than the whacked out percentages  Everything else in beta 15 looks solid so far.

Docker got updated to 1.5, so something must have changed. I will investigate this.