Docker Container Categories

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok, so it seems like the general feeling is that the categories as proposed are pretty good.

So, let move this thread to a Release Candidate stage and remove my sub-categories and propose this:

Backup

Beta

Cloud

Downloaders

Home Automation

Internet / Web / LAN

Media Applications

Media Servers

Other

Productivity

Tools / Utilities

How the categories are actually named (what the user sees) is not important at this stage.  The important thing is the general gist of what kind of containers would be within them.  The help text would contain a description to assist the users.  An auxiliary plug-in would help the maintainers modify their XML's to conform to the category standards.

Media is a catch-all term for any and everything (movies, tv, music, books, etc)  Once again, as the list of containers grow, the list can be further subdivided.  For example, Media sub divides to Video, Music, etc.  Internet / Web / LAN divides to Web Servers, DNS etc.

As always, a container could be put into multiple categories.  I myself would put CP into Media Application and downloaders. 

are you ready to go rc1 or should this still be beta ?

hee hee hee

Had an epiphany last night on how to more or less future proof everything for sub-categories without having to actually deal with them at the current time.

So, I'm going to revoke the RC status and move this back to beta for a couple of days.

Lets try this:

• Backup
  • Beta
  • Cloud
  • Downloaders
  • Home Automation
  • Internet / Web / LAN
    • Web Servers
    • DNS Servers
    • ? ? ?

[*]Media Applications

• Video
    • Music
    • Books, comics, etc
    • Other

[*]Media Servers

• Video
    • Music
    • Books, comics, etc
    • Other

[*]Other

[*]Productivity

[*]Tools / Utilities

So what reasonable sub-categories would go into the internet section?

No need for categories if you just go with user supplied tagging. Let the maintainers apply initial tags and then let users apply the tags they want on the dockers they use. The tags could be user only (stored at their own unraid server) or you could create a central place where the tags votes have to be maintained for all users.

Better yet, propose tagging to dockerhub. That way the entire community benefits and you dont have to maintain it.

I keep telling you that categories isnt the way to go because some fit into multiple categories but you keep trying to fit square peg into smaller round hole. No two users will ever see categorization the same. So stop trying to fight a futile fight.

No need for categories if you just go with user supplied tagging. Let the maintainers apply initial tags and then let users apply the tags they want on the dockers they use. The tags could be user only (stored at their own unraid server) or you could create a central place where the tags votes have to be maintained for all users.

Better yet, propose tagging to dockerhub. That way the entire community benefits and you dont have to maintain it.

I keep telling you that categories isnt the way to go because some fit into multiple categories but you keep trying to fit square peg into smaller round hole. No two users will ever see categorization the same. So stop trying to fight a futile fight.

tags are only going to end up in a mess, i could tag something completely differernt to anyone else and you'd just end up with the same mess of nobody being able to find anything.

App stores generally use categories.  Google play has a whopping 27 main categories to choose your app from.  Using Tags for those apps instead of categories would number in the hundreds of thousands.

Lets use Sickbeard as an example.

You're proposing to use Tags instead of categories.  Does the maintainer use TV, Television, Boob-Tube, Satellite, Cable?  Or does he also use all of them? (and any other regional variations)  Would it also be tagged as Pirate, Piracy, Theft, Usenet, Torrent?  Would you tag it as Organiser (as has been mentioned a couple of times spelled that exact same way), or would you tag it as Organizer (the correct spelling)

So now you've got a total of 11 Tags for one single app?  What if the maintainer of NZBDrone chooses to not tag his container with those same tags?  Now you've got 2 fundamentally the same applications that aren't going to show up in the same searches.

If you're specifically looking for NZBDrone, you're going to search for NZBDrone.  You're not going to browse through the categories with it, and if you do choose to browse for it, the categories are general enough that you'll be able to find it without knowing in advance how the maintainer chose to tag it.

As far tagging the containers yourself and storing them locally, are you telling me that you're going to go through all of the containers that are currently showing up and tag them all?  Or are you going to only do the ones that you currently use?  And then what's really the point in tagging them at all.  You know what they are.  You know what they do.  Why go through the extra effort in tagging merely for your own benefit?  And when you don't know what something does how do you tag it?

Do a google search.  Do any google search.  What the the absolute first thing underneath the search term?  Categories.  Web News Maps Images Video, More

I'm not against tagging the containers. I am against tagging the containers and not categorizing them.  I already have plans to add searching maintainer supplied tagging.  But without categories, what you would have is an even more unworkable system than we have now.

Categories aren't about making life easier for the most knowledgeable users out there.  Its about making life easier for the less knowledgeable users.  The most knowledgeable users are always going to search out specific terms / titles that are probably already in the descriptions.  Its the less knowledgeable users can't search for something they want to do because they don't even know what to search for.

And what is the problem if an application fits into two separate categories?  Can't Sonarr be displayed in both Downloaders and Media Applications?

This isn't a square peg in a round hole.

App stores generally use categories.  Google play has a whopping 27 main categories to choose your app from.  Using Tags for those apps instead of categories would number in the hundreds of thousands.

Lets use Sickbeard as an example.

You're proposing to use Tags instead of categories.  Does the maintainer use TV, Television, Boob-Tube, Satellite, Cable?  Or does he also use all of them? (and any other regional variations)  Would it also be tagged as Pirate, Piracy, Theft, Usenet, Torrent?  Would you tag it as Organiser (as has been mentioned a couple of times spelled that exact same way), or would you tag it as Organizer (the correct spelling)

So now you've got a total of 11 Tags for one single app?  What if the maintainer of NZBDrone chooses to not tag his container with those same tags?  Now you've got 2 fundamentally the same applications that aren't going to show up in the same searches.

If you're specifically looking for NZBDrone, you're going to search for NZBDrone.  You're not going to browse through the categories with it, and if you do choose to browse for it, the categories are general enough that you'll be able to find it without knowing in advance how the maintainer chose to tag it.

As far tagging the containers yourself and storing them locally, are you telling me that you're going to go through all of the containers that are currently showing up and tag them all?  Or are you going to only do the ones that you currently use?  And then what's really the point in tagging them at all.  You know what they are.  You know what they do.  Why go through the extra effort in tagging merely for your own benefit?  And when you don't know what something does how do you tag it?

Do a google search.  Do any google search.  What the the absolute first thing underneath the search term?  Categories.  Web News Maps Images Video, More

I'm not against tagging the containers. I am against tagging the containers and not categorizing them.  I already have plans to add searching maintainer supplied tagging.  But without categories, what you would have is an even more unworkable system than we have now.

Categories aren't about making life easier for the most knowledgeable users out there.  Its about making life easier for the less knowledgeable users.  The most knowledgeable users are always going to search out specific terms / titles that are probably already in the descriptions.  Its the less knowledgeable users can't search for something they want to do because they don't even know what to search for.

And what is the problem if an application fits into two separate categories?  Can't Sonarr be displayed in both Downloaders and Media Applications?

This isn't a square peg in a round hole.

if the peg don't fit, just make the damn hole bigger, lol.

tags are just freeform categories once you get past the buzzword aspect of them.

the idea isn't neccesarily to pigeon hole dockers , they can be in more than one category anyway...

it's more about breaking it up into more manageable chunks to make it easier for users to process, rather than staring at what is becoming an evergrowing list, that's only going to get bigger.

So that we don't get completely derailed, let's pose the question again.

hee hee hee

Had an epiphany last night on how to more or less future proof everything for sub-categories without having to actually deal with them at the current time.

So, I'm going to revoke the RC status and move this back to beta for a couple of days.

Lets try this:

• Backup
  • Beta
  • Cloud
  • Downloaders
  • Home Automation
  • Internet / Web / LAN
    • Web Servers
    • DNS Servers
    • ? ? ?

[*]Media Applications

• Video
    • Music
    • Books, comics, etc
    • Other

[*]Media Servers

• Video
    • Music
    • Books, comics, etc
    • Other

[*]Other

[*]Productivity

[*]Tools / Utilities

So that we don't get completely derailed, let's pose the question again.

hee hee hee

Lets try this:

• Backup
  • Beta
  • Cloud
  • Downloaders
  • Home Automation
  • Internet / Web / LAN
    • Web Servers
    • DNS Servers
    • ? ? ?

[*]Media Applications

• Video
    • Music
    • Books, comics, etc
    • Other

[*]Media Servers

• Video
    • Music
    • Books, comics, etc
    • Other

[*]Other

[*]Productivity

[*]Tools / Utilities

lan traffic analysers

ftp clients

• Backup
  • Beta
  • Cloud (incl unRaid hosted cloud?)
  • Downloaders
  • Home Automation
  • Internet / Web / LAN
    • Web Servers
    • DNS Servers
    • FTP Clients / Servers
    • Proxies
    • VOIP
    • Management / Analyzer
    • Other

• Media Applications
    • Video
    • Music
    • Books, comics, etc
    • Other

[*]Media Servers

• Video
    • Music
    • Books, comics, etc
    • Other

[*]Other

[*]Productivity

[*]Tools / Utilities

Once again, list doesn't have to be complete to us to move forward.  Merely trying to cover what's out there right now and the near future.  Containers can belong to multiple categories.  Just want to avoid putting something into "Other" if it's not a one-off.

Would you tag it as Organiser (as has been mentioned a couple of times spelled that exact same way), or would you tag it as Organizer (the correct spelling)

I'd tag it Organiser, the correct spelling, the language is English after all... :)

I'd tag it Organiser, the correct spelling, the language is English after all... :)

And that's my point proven.  Different spellings based upon geographic locations.  They are both correct spellings depending upon where you live.

And that's my point proven.  Different spellings based upon geographic locations.

I know, but us Brit's are sensitive about you Americans spelling everything incorrectly lol

And that's my point proven.  Different spellings based upon geographic locations.

I know, but us Brit's are sensitive about you Americans spelling everything incorrectly lol

I ain't no American.  I spell Honor as Honour.  Color as Colour.  I pronounce Lieutenant as Leftenant.  My A, B, C's stop at "eh?"

I ain't no American.  I spell Honor as Honour.  Color as Colour.  I pronounce Lieutenant as Leftenant.  My A, B, C's stop at "eh?"

Well I'll be damned, apparently either spelling is acceptable in British English, although ize is the American way.  Where you from then Squid?

Well I'll be damned, apparently either spelling is acceptable in British English, although ize is the American way.  Where you from then Squid?

• Let's call this proposal RC2

• Backup
      • Cloud (incl unRaid hosted)
      • Downloaders
      • Home Automation
      • Network Services
        • Web Servers
        • DNS Servers
        • FTP Clients / Servers
        • Proxies
        • VOIP
        • Management / Analyzer
        • Other

• Media Applications
    • Video
    • Music
    • Books, comics, etc
    • Photos
    • Other

[*]Media Servers

• Video
    • Music
    • Books, comics, etc
    • Photos
    • Other

[*]Other

[*]Productivity

[*]Tools / Utilities

Barring any objections to the list (excluding the argument in favor of tags), in a couple of days I'll call this "Final" and release a plugin to assist the maintainers in modifying their templates.  Down the road, new categories can always be added as deemed necessary.