Docker Container Categories

ok i propose, categories (maybe snappier names though) not complete list just what i can think of at 3:45

downloaders

media organisers

media editors

backer uppers

productivity

others

This concept is my preferred way also, keep the categories fairly high level and generic, last thing you want is to frustrate the user because they can't find something because it didn't quite fit into a specific category.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok i propose, categories (maybe snappier names though) not complete list just what i can think of at 3:45

downloaders

media organisers

media editors

backer uppers

productivity

others

This concept is my preferred way also, keep the categories fairly high level and generic, last thing you want is to frustrate the user because they can't find something because it didn't quite fit into a specific category.

I echo this sentiment

downloaders

media organisers

media editors

backer uppers

productivity

others

I echo this sentiment

I think this is a good way forward - I'm assuming that extra categories could be created later, what about sub-categories?  I can see that the need for categorisation is growing with the explosion of dockers that I don't think any of us could have predicted.

downloaders

media organisers

media editors

backer uppers

productivity

others

I echo this sentiment

I think this is a good way forward - I'm assuming that extra categories could be created later, what about sub-categories?  I can see that the need for categorisation is growing with the explosion of dockers that I don't think any of us could have predicted.

Categories can always be added later.  Subcategories are also an option.  Right now i don't believe that they are necessary with the containers that are currently available.  However, until i decide on category lists and then the maintainers actually implement them we really won't know for sure.

Later tonight i will be posting another list of categories for everyone's review

What I'd really like is for someone to take over the templates altogether :) All someone needs to do is fork all the template repos on github

To help with implementation of the categories i plan on having a basic plug-in/script to assist everyone and minimize errors

Categories can always be added later.  Subcategories are also an option.  Right now i don't believe that they are necessary with the containers that are currently available.  However, until i decide on category lists and then the maintainers actually implement them we really won't know for sure.

Later tonight i will be posting another list of categories for everyone's review

I agree that they aren't required at the moment, I'm just thinking of the future, I can only see the number of docker containers growing, although at a slower rate (unless Sparklyballs continues proliferating ad infinitum  ;D )

I agree that they aren't required at the moment, I'm just thinking of the future, I can only see the number of docker containers growing, although at a slower rate (unless Sparklyballs continues proliferating ad infinitum  ;D )

that dude just keeps on making the damn things, lol.

ok, these are the categories I'm thinking about now:

Backup

Beta

Cloud

File Sharing

Home Automation

Internet / Web / LAN

Video Applications

Music Applications

Other Media Applications

Video Servers

Music Servers

Other Media Servers

Other

Productivity

Tools / Utilities

I *believe* that just about everything out there can fit into something like this.  I'm debating whether to add another one (something like Science / Education) to toss Boinc and Folding@Home into.

Backup

Beta

Cloud

File Sharing

Home Automation

Internet / Web / LAN

Video Applications

Music Applications

Other Media Applications

Video Servers

Music Servers

Other Media Servers

Other

Productivity

Tools / Utilities

I *believe* that just about everything out there can fit into something like this.  I'm debating whether to add another one (something like Science / Education) to toss Boinc and Folding@Home into.

i think that's plenty of categories

those other two can go in others

Backup

Beta

Cloud

File Sharing

Home Automation

Internet / Web / LAN

Video Applications

Music Applications

Other Media Applications

Video Servers

Music Servers

Other Media Servers

Other

Productivity

Tools / Utilities

This kind of brings subcategories back into the game, should Video Server, Music Server and Other Media Server roll up to Media Server?

Same with Media Applications?

Maybe that is just my wired "deformation professionelle" driving for hierarchy and structure....

Backup

Beta

Cloud

File Sharing

Home Automation

Internet / Web / LAN

Video Applications

Music Applications

Other Media Applications

Video Servers

Music Servers

Other Media Servers

Other

Productivity

Tools / Utilities

This kind of brings subcategories back into the game, should Video Server, Music Server and Other Media Server roll up to Media Server?

Same with Media Applications?

Maybe that is just my wired "deformation professionelle" driving for hierarchy and structure....

Yes, you are correct that those could be termed "sub-categories".  However, with the focus on unRaid as being a media server, I felt that those were justified. 

I'm just future proofing the system on those categories, since the implementation of true subcategories would be you would click the "media server" button, and it would bring up the video server/music server/other server categories.

On another note, I forsee having the categories nailed down within a week, and then a release of a tool to assist the maintainers / authors to modify their xml templates, followed by the actual release of the new plugin.

hi squid, firstly please don't take the following as negative feedback, its meant as constructive criticism.

ok so the list of categories you have provided, to my way of thinking is a little muddied for the end user and possibly too granular, here is what i would be thinking i were the end user:-

so say i want to download sabnzbd+, so i go to my list of categories and i choose.....

File Sharing - well its not really file sharing so i might not choose that, its usenet so its client/server tech, no file sharing involved but hey, maybe?

Internet/Web - well yeah but isnt nearly everything :-), probably not in there i guess?

Video/Music Applications - well it could download videos, and music but no probably not

Other Media Applications - err possibly i guess

Video Servers - not sure what this means, but i think its probably the same as video applications

Music Servers - unlikely

Other Media Servers - hmm dont think so, but it could be?

Other - might be in there if its not in file sharing

Productivity-  unlikely

Tools / Utilities - well it is a tool as such, maybe

so i would guess file sharing, but its not obvious, my point being i think having a more generic approach is better. i think the balance is have enough categories so that you dont have a massive list of dockers in one category, but at the same time dont go too granular and end up with categories with only 2 or 3 dockers, its just pointless work for the dev and pointless clicking for the end user to try and find the docker they want.

here is my first run at the categories:-

Media Downloaders (usenet/torrent)

Index Searchers (cp, sb, sickrage etc)

Media Players (plex, kodi, subsonic, madsonic)

Mieda Player Plugins (plexwatch)

Scripts (simple python or bash scripts for all of the above)

Tools (Duckdns, Dolphin, Syncthing)

Other (FoldingAtHome)

maybe "other" could be split up if it got really large.

just my random thoughts i had this morning whilst having a shower :-)

hi squid, firstly please don't take the following as negative feedback, its meant as constructive criticism.

ok so the list of categories you have provided, to my way of thinking is a little muddied for the end user and possibly too granular, here is what i would be thinking i were the end user:-

so say i want to download sabnzbd+, so i go to my list of categories and i choose.....

File Sharing - well its not really file sharing so i might not choose that, its usenet so its client/server tech, no file sharing involved but hey, maybe?

Internet/Web - well yeah but isnt nearly everything :-), probably not in there i guess?

Video/Music Applications - well it could download videos, and music but no probably not

Video Servers - not sure what this means, but i think its probably the same as video applications

Music Servers - unlikely

Productivity-  unlikely

so i would guess file sharing, but its not obvious, my point being i think having a more generic approach is better. i think the balance is have enough categories so that you dont have a massive list of dockers in one category, but at the same time dont go too granular and end up with categories with only 2 or 3 dockers, its just pointless work for the dev and pointless clicking for the end user to try and find the docker they want.

Other (FoldingAtHome)

No offense taken.  That's why this thread exists and why i haven't released the plugin.

You make some good points.  Personally i do prefer less categories rather than more.

Music Servers - unlikely

Productivity-  unlikely

Other (FoldingAtHome)

No offense taken.  That's why this thread exists and why i haven't released the plugin.

You make some good points.  Personally i do prefer less categories rather than more.

yes i think less categories is less work for dev's and less clicking around and frustration for the end user, but there is def a balance to be had, otherwise there is no point having categories if everything is in only 2 or 3 categories eh :-), ive said my bit so i will leave it up to you guys to make the final decision, but i will of course implement anything you go with :-)

...here is my first run at the categories:-

Other (FoldingAtHome)

I think fewer categories ARE better. Taking these categories, which may be close, and trying to see where the dockers I use would fit in:

Media Downloaders: NZBGet, Transmission. Good name for this category and there will be many of these

Index Searchers: none, I tried some of the usual suspects but I don't really need to automate this. Still a good category though, but some may be confused by what is meant by index. Help text would help of course

Media Players: LogitechMediaServer, PlexMediaServer might be here if the category were named Media Servers. I don't think I would call anything normally implemented in docker to be a Media Player though no doubt our devs could create a Linux desktop in the browser that would run a player.

Media Player Plugins: Is plugin a good description of plexwatch? If the more generic term Addon were used then maybe there would be more things that fit. I might propose the name Media Tools or Media Utilities for this category

Scripts: Are people doing these in docker? Probably but do we need a whole category for it or could it fit into another like Tools? This seems like we are going back to categorizing things based on implementation details.

Tools: Dolphin since this was mentioned as an example. Could also be named Utilities. Pretty nebulous but probably necessary

Other: BOINC since it is similar to Folding@Home. This is the we don't know what to call it category

So I still have:

Filezilla: Tools?

Guacamole: Tools or Other?

Handbrake: maybe Media Tools if there were such

Calibre, Ubooquity: Media Players? Not exactly, but might be considered Media Servers. Some ebook formats can be "played" in a web browser so it gets pretty blurry here.

Obviously there are going to be some quibbles whatever is decided. And there is also the possibility of having certain dockers in multiple categories.

Filezilla: Tools?

Guacamole: Tools or Other?

Handbrake: maybe Media Tools if there were such

Calibre, Ubooquity: Media Players? Not exactly, but might be considered Media Servers. Some ebook formats can be "played" in a web browser so it gets pretty blurry here.

Filezilla since its FTP I would throw it in with downloaders / file sharing / whatever to call that category

Guacamole:  Best we came up with it previously was tools / utilities

Handbrake:  Media Application (or Video Application if we narrow it down that far)

Calibre, Ubooquity (I run ubooquity) I consider to be the "Other Media Server" and "Other Media Application".  Since they both serve and manage book collections.  The "Other" media applications / servers was going to be for books / comic books / photos, etc.  At least thats what I was thinking when I posted it.

Plex is certainly a media server, and it will serve video, audio, and images. Movies, TV, Music, Photos, Home Movies, Audiobooks can all be served by Media Servers, so I think just one category for all of these media types is enough.

eBooks and comics don't typically use the same server apps as those above. Might even be confusing to some to call them media even though they are. Not sure what to call the category. Don't really like Other Media Servers if we only have one other media category called Media Servers.

Or you could proliferate categories and have Video Servers, Music Servers, Photo Servers, etc., and plex would be listed in each of these.

Plex is certainly a media server, and it will serve video, audio, and images. Movies, TV, Music, Photos, Home Movies, Audiobooks can all be served by Media Servers, so I think just one category for all of these media types is enough.

eBooks and comics don't typically use the same server apps as those above. Might even be confusing to some to call them media even though they are. Not sure what to call the category. Don't really like Other Media Servers if we only have one other media category called Media Servers.

Or you could proliferate categories and have Video Servers, Music Servers, Photo Servers, etc., and plex would be listed in each of these.

I actually do prefer one single server category and one single media application category.  Trying to hit the middle ground for everyone.  Separating them all into their own category i think at this point is a bit too many categories for the user to handle. Hence why i had the other server category.

What I'd really like is for someone to take over the templates altogether :) All someone needs to do is fork all the template repos on github

I believe that the general rule around here is that if its your idea you have to do it...

I believe that the general rule around here is that if its your idea you have to do it...

I believe if you were to look you'd see mine are currently in various states of brokenness in your plugin now. I may not be the best man for the job :)

Perhaps I'm just being contrarian, but the idea of categories is kinda 1995. Remember when Yahoo tried to categorize the Internet? Labels are a little better in that they allow something to be in multiple "categories", but browsing can be hard for users. (Maybe sort the labels in decreasing number of items, and restrict authors to a max of 2 categories?) Seems like searching is the latest method -- on-demand labels. I find it interesting that the Docker hub's "browse" page has no way to actually browse... Just a search. I guess that searching would be too much work for this situation, though...

Anyway, some idle ramblings. I do think that the proposed categories are good, and I agree that an "RDP" category is like having a "Perl" category. What if I prefer VNC over RDP? This debate highlights the limitations of a categorization... You end up putting an paint program and a web browser in the same category because they both use RDP...