Fixed by Re-Install -Struggling to Get Plex working outside network

lr5v

Hello

Got to say I struggle with linux, I am too much of a windows user, despite this limitation I have been running unraid server for 3-4 years, initially on an old machine with an array of about 1tb and then onto the current server with 5tb with cache and 3tb parity-so I cant be that useless!

I was running the server as a store for media to be accessed mainly by the living room media centre using mediabrowser before moving onto plex allowing streaming to my chromecast and roku. I was aware that I could set plex up to access my media remotely, but couldnt get it working and didnt see myself using it.

With the death of MS support for media centre in Windows 10, it made me start looking for an alternative way to access my media, decided on an Xbox one.

Despite the plex app on the Xbox being one of the deciding factors for the xbox, unfortunately it does not access the plex server on the local network, it has to access via the web, meaning I now need to access the plex server on my unraid server remotely and I am really struggling to get this working.

My network has vigin media superhub, running in modem mode.

Linksys wifi router, directly connected to this is the unraid server and a couple of network switches.

the server is set on a static IP

Plex has been given a port on the linksys, despite this when I try the PFportchecker tool it shows as "not open or not reachable".

the plex web app -I can log into the main app, but I can not log into the server or set up remote access - suspect this is due to the port not being open.

I have checked for double NAS, cant remember what I did here, but the IP does not change.

I am wondering if I have missed something in the initial set up of unraid all those years ago, that is not allowing 2 way communication with the web?

I hope someone can help me sort this out what I have got wrong with my system

Many thanks for all the replies-

Have you made sure that when your setting up port forwarding that the source is set to any and the destination is the ip address of your media server and port 32400 ?

Yes, attached is a snip of the linksys settings as per the port forward web guide.

See here

I looked at this, I have both external & internal ports set at 32400 - I assume that is correct?

I tried the bit about testing the port internally and it worked I got:

<MediaContainer size="15" allowCameraUpload="0" allowChannelAccess="1" allowSync="0" friendlyName="Tower" machineIdentifier="e076434e98dfc9b5d4c167fe109ac7dd0bd80b23" multiuser="1" myPlex="1" myPlexMappingState="waiting" myPlexSigninState="none" myPlexSubscription="0" myPlexUsername="orlando.barron" platform="Linux" platformVersion="3.16.3-unRAID (#3 SMP Fri Sep 19 10:14:49 PDT 2014)" requestParametersInCookie="1" sync="1" transcoderActiveVideoSessions="0" transcoderAudio="1" transcoderVideo="1" transcoderVideoBitrates="64,96,208,320,720,1500,2000,3000,4000,8000,10000,12000,20000" transcoderVideoQualities="0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12" transcoderVideoResolutions="128,128,160,240,320,480,768,720,720,1080,1080,1080,1080" updatedAt="1443298097" version="0.9.12.12.1459-49fe448">

<Directory count="1" key="butler" title="butler"/>

<Directory count="1" key="channels" title="channels"/>

<Directory count="1" key="clients" title="clients"/>

<Directory count="1" key="hubs" title="hubs"/>

<Directory count="1" key="library" title="library"/>

<Directory count="1" key="playQueues" title="playQueues"/>

<Directory count="1" key="player" title="player"/>

<Directory count="1" key="playlists" title="playlists"/>

<Directory count="1" key="resources" title="resources"/>

<Directory count="1" key="search" title="search"/>

<Directory count="1" key="server" title="server"/>

<Directory count="1" key="servers" title="servers"/>

<Directory count="1" key="system" title="system"/>

<Directory count="1" key="transcode" title="transcode"/>

<Directory count="1" key="updater" title="updater"/>

</MediaContainer>

Looking at the fix the op in the other thread came up with:

Problem solved. I would like to point out that provided suggestions may work for other users. In this case problem was related to corrupted docker.img file and installation of Plex container on top of the previous existing Plex folder and files.

This issue is not related to router and port forwarding, however setting IP as static on your router maybe be beneficial. Before you proceed make sure you backup Plex library database and metadata.

plexmediaserver\Library\Application Support\Plex Media Server\Plug-in Support\Databases\

plexmediaserver\Library\Application Support\Plex Media Server\Plug-in Support\Metadata\

1. Remove all content from plexmediaserver folder

2. Install Plex container

3. Go to Plex WebUI and logon with your credentials

4. Go to your router and delete forwarded ports from Plex for your server

5. Go to Settings\Server\Connect and enter credentials. Plex should provide info that server was mapped to some port. You can verify this info on your router, the same port should be added in port forwarding section

6. Stop Plex server and change file permissions  for files in Plex folder. Plex creates its own unraid-plex user, so you will not be able to delete files unless you change the ownership

7. Copy database and metadata files from your backup

8. Start Plex server

Everything should be working now and you should have access to previous libraries.

Uncertain what the docker.img refered to is - its been years since I originally installed Plex on my unraid.

What does the poster mean by:"Install Plex container" ?

And "change file permissions  for files in Plex folder. Plex creates its own unraid-plex user, so you will not be able to delete files unless you change the ownership" - aware of the user option, do I create a new managed user?

all i did on mine was forward 32400 to internal ip at 32400 - done, works

Myk

Wish mine was that simple!

Many thanks again for the replies

port_forward.JPG.082195f9adfa1173f5c58c6a09a0183f.JPG

I fiddled with this recently as well.  Either enable UPnP and/or NAT-PMP in your router so that it is done automagically or port forward the plex.tv port to your local 32400 on your server.  Based on the screen capture in your previous post showing your port forwarding, change the 'external port' from '32400' to whatever plex is trying to communicate to your server on (as seen in the attached pic, TCP 26495 in my case as example).

plex.png.0592266d72f78fd68afad5eecf76c408.png

Thanks for the replies

Plex has a pretty comprehensive troubleshooting page here:

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200931138-Troubleshooting-Remote-Access

I agree it is comprehensive,

In listing the problems,

Very good at raising hope by hinting at a solution,

Even better at giving a link to yet another explanation,

But as it doesn't give any real resolution apart from yet another link...

...returning me to the same page I was on 10 minutes before.

Due to work and other commitments, I have dipped in and out of attempting to fix this problem over the last 4 months. I suspect I have spent hours going round and round in circles on the plex web site

-its why I am asking for help here!

I fiddled with this recently as well.  Either enable UPnP and/or NAT-PMP in your router so that it is done automagically or port forward the plex.tv port to your local 32400 on your server.  Based on the screen capture in your previous post showing your port forwarding, change the 'external port' from '32400' to whatever plex is trying to communicate to your server on (as seen in the attached pic, TCP 26495 in my case as example).

Before I can set up the server on the web app, I have to log into my account within the Settings\server page

- unfortunately when I try it does not let me log into the server, it just keeps coming up with the same not particularly helpful "there was a problem signing into plex" - I know I have the correct loggin details, if I use the incorrect ones on that page it tells me they are incorrect.

Wondering if there is something corrupt or missing from the plex install on my unraid.

Before I can set up the server on the web app, I have to log into my account within the Settings\server page

- unfortunately when I try it does not let me log into the server, it just keeps coming up with the same not particularly helpful "there was a problem signing into plex" - I know I have the correct loggin details, if I use the incorrect ones on that page it tells me they are incorrect.

Wondering if there is something corrupt or missing from the plex install on my unraid.

Oh so Plex doesn't work at all?  I thought you were just having trouble accessing it from outside your house.

Two things to try...

First, reset your bundles:

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201119258-Resetting-System-and-Framework-bundles

If that doesn't help you should delete your Preferences.xml file and let Plex create a new one from scratch:

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201105343-Advanced-Server-Settings

I had a problem with a Plex update a few months ago and had to delete Preferences.xml in order to connect to it.  You may have hit the same problem.  The Plex website will think this is a new server, so you'll have to re-connect to any shared users.

Cheers again, Plex works within the my LAN, I can stream to my Roku or cast to Chromecast from my iphone.

It just does not let me log into the server via web app, this means I cant set up the server to see the web and then allow my xbox to access Plex.

Afraid the links don't help me, I'm running Plex Version 0.9.12.12 the resetting system link doesn't cover my version & there is no instruction for unraid in the advanced server settings

-but thank you for posting.

Really think I have messed the installation up, its been so long time since the install

-Talking about it, reminds me of something missing out the external access as I didn't need it at the time. Seem to recall the Plex automatic updater didn't install either.

Unraid is working great and I updated Plex manually this week, don't want to tear the whole thing down -any suggestion on what do I need to re-do?

@lr5v, did you perchance enable secure access to your server when when it was added to plex.  I am not at home now, so do not have the address you need to use.

A side question, how did you install plex.  Unless you used PhaZes plugin It might be better to start over.  Then either use PhaZes plugin or go straight to a docker if you are on v6.

I use his plugin on Unraid v5 and it works fine for me.

Do you have a plex pass ?, don't quote me but you may need to have a plex pass to access it outside your network to me it sounds like you don't have a plex account set up correctly. in order to access plex outside your LAN you need to have your server attached to your plex account so when you sign in to plex from outside your network it knows where to point to for content also make sure your server has a static ip address :-)

Thanks again for the replies

@lr5v, did you perchance enable secure access to your server when when it was added to plex.  I am not at home now, so do not have the address you need to use.

A side question, how did you install plex.  Unless you used PhaZes plugin It might be better to start over.  Then either use PhaZes plugin or go straight to a docker if you are on v6.

I use his plugin on Unraid v5 and it works fine for me.

Got to say I am intrigued by the secure access idea, more info please.

I dont recall using any plugin to install Plex, all put onto the USB flash drive within the file structure

-as stated above I have to manual update plex, just navigate to the folder, copy new file in - copy old file (just in case) and then reboot unraid.

Do you have a plex pass ?, don't quote me but you may need to have a plex pass to access it outside your network to me it sounds like you don't have a plex account set up correctly. in order to access plex outside your LAN you need to have your server attached to your plex account so when you sign in to plex from outside your network it knows where to point to for content also make sure your server has a static ip address :-)

Very much so -I was so pleased with plex I shelled out for a lifetime pass, but currently it doesn't feel like one of my better purchases!

Yes, in order to publish my server to Plex I need to put in my log in details on the settings\sever page, but as mentioned earlier it just plain refuses log in giving "there was a problem signing into plex" -I can log into plex on the web app and my iphone, just not the server login within settings.

I also had trouble with this until I checked "use custom port" in plex and set it to 32400.  I was then able to forward to that port in my router's "port forwarding" config.  I'm sure there's a reason for this and another way around it, but that worked for me.

Thanks, I can go to that section of the web app I get the attached view, with the errors Private unknown ip

Public unkown ip

The internet seems to be fine, is there a setting within the plex unraid to give the correct ip?

I suspect its going to be as full a clean out of plex from the unraid and then reload.

plex_remote_access.JPG.1976302bef247cda63d893b6d341d240.JPG

Just looked at installing the PhAzE Pluggin installer, got to say this has reminded me that it is the error I got before-

/usr/local/sbin/plugin install PhAzE Plugin.plg 2>

plugin: installing: PhAzE

Warning: simplexml_load_file(): I/O warning : failed to load external entity "" in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/plgMan/plugin on line 165

plugin: xml parse error

I forgot I have 4 other pluggins sitting in the folder, all give the same error.

only one answer when I google saying that the PLG file is not there or corrupt - surprised I get the same with 5 pluggins!

My unraid server is running 6.0-beta10a is that version known for being flakey?

6.1.3 is the current version, troubleshooting an old beta version is a waste of time.

Just looked at installing the PhAzE Pluggin installer, got to say this has reminded me that it is the error I got before-

That's not how you install plugins any more, there is a page in the webgui that you paste the url into and the plugin manager does the rest.

Make sure your unraid is updated to the latest version, you'd be surprised the headaches that can cause, also i personally would go with a docker version of plex rather than a plugin i've found the docker version more reliable.

What model router do you have ?

As long as the source ip is any and the destination is the ip of your server, and the source and incoming ports or 32400 you shouldn't have any problems, but make sure if you use the docker version to have the network interface set to host and not bridge

6.1.3 is the current version, troubleshooting an old beta version is a waste of time.

That's not how you install plugins any more, there is a page in the webgui that you paste the url into and the plugin manager does the rest.

OK - so the prognosis is my system is totally goosed!

In addition, since you are already on v6, I'd update to the current release and then run Plex via Docker.  It takes a bit of getting used to, but it's fairly simple and you'll never go back to plugins.

A few stupid questions before committing to the destruction at the weekend:

Is it better to update over the existing system

or

Just bite the bullet, format the flash and start fresh?

If its full start form scratch, is my data safe?

Any settings I should take a note off - going to take a screen shot of the drive set up, anything else?

Any registration details on the USB flash, or is that picked up but unraid?

Got to say I had a look at the lime tech install films - the new software looks a lot easier to install, slicker and appears a lot more user friendly.

What model router do you have ?

As long as the source ip is any and the destination is the ip of your server, and the source and incoming ports or 32400 you shouldn't have any problems, but make sure if you use the docker version to have the network interface set to host and not bridge

Its a Linksys EA6300, unfortunately it has to plug into the netgear POS Virign media call a super hub.

Thanks again for the replies

Its a Linksys EA6300, unfortunately it has to plug into the netgear POS Virign media call a super hub.

AHA! I think we may have gotten the critical piece of information. What is the IP address that shows up in the WAN or Internet portion of the status page in the Linksys webgui?

Yep, good catch.  The Virgin SuperHub is likely not in bridge mode, so there's a double-NAT going on.  If so, will need to either get the SUperHub into bridge mode, or port forward on both routers.

Thanks guys

I like this enthusiasm, hope you have really stumbled on something.

Just in case you are heading Nas - I just re-checked again its not double nas.

my wan is 80.---.---.--- and appears the same in the linksys, virgin modem and on whatismyip.com

-my understanding is if it was double nas the wan would change

The virgin modem status is modem mode -see attachment -essentially it puts it into bridge mode and gives over control to the linksys.

Virgin_status.JPG.f76e92187bb666aa9a5de7ae6d4e268c.JPG

Well, that's not your problem then.  :-\

Thanks for continuing to take the time.

Got to ask again:

A few stupid questions before committing to the destruction at the weekend:

Is it better to update over the existing system

or

Just bite the bullet, format the flash and start fresh?

If its full start form scratch, is my data safe?

Any settings I should take a note off - going to take a screen shot of the drive set up, anything else?

Any registration details on the USB flash, or is that picked up but unraid?

Any advice on the above?

You shouldn't need to reformat from scratch.  I do not know if you can update straight from beta10a to 6.1.3 or how it would be done (I don't recall if beta10 had the "check for updates" functionality).  Maybe someone here can chime in.

If you were to start from scratch, yes your data would be safe.  The key item here is to know which drive is parity and which drives are data.  I would screenshot the current main page for reference.  After the flash reformat you need to assign the parity drive to the parity slot, and data drives to the data slots (order does not matter with data drives), and start the array.  Any shares you already have will be automatically generated (any top level folder on any data drive is considered a share), although you would need to reset the options on the shares themselves back to however you had it set up before.

As for the registration details, there is a key file on your existing flash drive.  It is called xxxxx.key (where xxxxx is your version of unRAID, i.e. Pro, Plus, etc.).  I have a Plus license so my key is called Plus.key.  It will be located in the config folder on the flash.  You need to copy that key off first and replace it on the rebuilt key.