jphipps

ZFS filesystem support

38 posts in this topic Last Reply

Maybe retest with urandom as the source sync?

dd if=/dev/urandom iflag=fullblock bs=1MB count=20000 of=20gbte

The fullblock flag is needed otherwise you might not write the same amount of data when dealing with random syncs and entropy in linux systems.

hmmm, I run a ZFS mirror cluster on Ubuntu 18.04.  It really is an amazing file system for its features and ease of use.

You don't require lots of RAM or ECC RAM, this is a myth.

1. plain ZFS can run on 1GB of RAM on any size array. If you have more RAM it will use more for a cache.  Once you enable Dedupe and L2ARC you needs lots of RAM (rule of thumb is about 1GB of RAM per TB of storage)

2. If you use ZFS for business reasons, like any server you should use ECC RAM.  For home use, storing movies... you don't need ECC RAM. btrfs doesn't require ECC.

ZoL is ZFS on Linux, it functions in linux like a native file system.  BSD has switched to this.

https://zfsonlinux.org/

Sure ... just handwave away legitimate concerns especially ECC Ram that was mentioned earlier.

Yes, unless bits rotting away keep you up all night, but then you'd already have ECC RAM in your unraid box.

14 minutes ago, rilles said:

Yes, unless bits rotting away keep you up all night, but then you'd already have ECC RAM in your unraid box.

bit rot on committed media is a different (almost non-existent) issue.

On 12/15/2016 at 9:09 AM, RobJ said:

* If you don't have ECC RAM, don't even consider file systems like ZFS, you are safer with file systems that don't 'scrub'.  This makes me somewhat concerned about BTRFS scrubs, especially attempts to automate BTRFS scrubbing.  If it only detects issues, that's one thing, and safer.  But if it attempts to automatically correct issues, then ECC RAM should be REQUIRED.  I'm afraid that for me, this may add one more to the list of BTRFS concerns.  I don't want to worry about whether a scrub could be damaging, instead of helping.

I suggest others re-read the above concern before handwaveing it away as a non-issue. (Copied it because it was well expressed)

49 minutes ago, BRiT said:

I suggest others re-read the above concern before handwaveing it away as a non-issue. (Copied it because it was well expressed)

From what I gather most believe that's a non issue, while possible, both for zfs and btrfs, you'd need to have hash collision for that, and the chances of that happening are extremely low, see for example here:

http://jrs-s.net/2015/02/03/will-zfs-and-non-ecc-ram-kill-your-data/

I use and strongly recommend ECC for anyone who cares about data integrity, but you're still better protected against data corruption with zfs or btrfs without ECC that would be on a non checksummed filesystem.

• Upvote 1

RobJ has an opinion. But ECC is not REQUIRED for ZFS or btrfs, probably strongly suggested for the more data paranoid who may lose sleep over a possible "scrub of death".  But, RAID is not a backup - so I'm not going to be upset if bits flip in my movie stash and all my actual important stuff of course is backed up somewhere else.

I don't personally use ZFS, but I'm going to put these links here as some of you guys might be interested.  Greg KH has given a statement on ZFS in the v5 kernels which I suspect (although have no absolute proof) is what Unraid v6.7.0 will be using.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=ZFS-On-Linux-5.0-Problem

https://github.com/zfsonlinux/zfs/issues/8259

Edited by CHBMB
  • Upvote 1

I don't care if it's ZFS or not.  What people like though is the self-repairing file system.  That's the point of this thread.  We can choose where we put it (cache or array), but an option would be great.  I don't know of a self-repairing option for any other file-system, but it seems to me, a company like lime could put pressure on to get it in the roadmap for one of the file systems, even if it is a 5-10 year plan.  Maybe it already is, I haven't actually looked.

ECC is just if you're a purist or not.  You get incremental improvements with various additions and implications when you leave bits out.  Up to the end-user to figure out if they're important.  ZFS does have a huge hardware penalty though, it's why I moved to Unraid - FreeNAS / TrueNAS and Proxmox performance was absolutely abysmal.  And all for the idea that your data is somehow randomly falling out of your drives while you sleep.  Absolutely not true.  But peace of mind does have a lot of value doesn't it.

The pressure needs to be on Oracle (current owners of Sun Microsystems IP) to get them to change the license terms on ZFS. Not until the terms are adjusted will you see the attitude towards it from Linux Kernal developers change.

1 hour ago, Marshalleq said:

What people like though is the self-repairing file system.  That's the point of this thread.  We can choose where we put it (cache or array), but an option would be great.  I don't know of a self-repairing option for any other file-system

Self-repair wouldn't work on the array drives, since each disk is an independent filesystem, it would work on the cache pool for redundant configs, and btrfs has the same self-repairing features as zfs, though there's no doubt zfs is more mature and stable.