New Emby Docker

On 12/5/2022 at 8:31 AM, CS01-HS said:

Also consider a transcoding path outside the docker image. I have mine use RAM (to minimize SSD writes) but a path to a cached share works as well.

1025106550_Screenshot2022-12-05at8_14_51AM.thumb.png.e11f75b31471a743565f2c28e75caadb.png

439168156_Screenshot2022-12-05at8_15_27AM.thumb.png.0b26f6c43449dc40a3247286254dcc00.png

NOTE 1: Emby will create the subdirectory transcoding-temp under your specified path. (In my case that's /dev/shm/transcoding-temp)

NOTE 2: As an alternative to the nightly restart I've written a monitoring script:

SCRIPT TO KEEP EMBY'S TRANSCODING DIRECTORY FROM FILLING UP

Thanks.  Unfortunately my situation is like the one in the link you shared ..   Livetv related and one huge 100gb+ file grows.   

• 4 weeks later...

So does this container support nvidia transcoding? I found some info quite a few pages back but I can't get it to work. I have installed the nvidia drivers etc. and have tried adding the NVIDIA_DEVICE_CAPABILITIES and NVIDIA_VISIBLE_DEVICES as container variables but nothing happens.

*Edit: nevermind, I got it working by adding "--runtime=nvidia" to the extra parameters" 

Edited by allanp81
16 minutes ago, thunderclap said:

Well unfortunately this isn't working. I've tried all the ports the binhex docker uses and all result in a command failure. I also tried without the port and it still fails.

then may check his thread

this is the part where you have to configure the ports and as mentioned, watch port conflicts !!!

IMPORTANT
Please note 'VPN_INPUT_PORTS' is NOT to define the incoming port for the VPN, this environment variable is used to define port(s) you
want to allow in to the VPN network when network binding multiple containers together, configuring this incorrectly with the VPN 
provider assigned incoming port COULD result in IP leakage, you have been warned!.

there cant be 2 apps running using the same port, sample DNLA 1900 when running media servers etc ...

9 minutes ago, alturismo said:

then may check his thread

this is the part where you have to configure the ports and as mentioned, watch port conflicts !!!

IMPORTANT
Please note 'VPN_INPUT_PORTS' is NOT to define the incoming port for the VPN, this environment variable is used to define port(s) you
want to allow in to the VPN network when network binding multiple containers together, configuring this incorrectly with the VPN 
provider assigned incoming port COULD result in IP leakage, you have been warned!.

there cant be 2 apps running using the same port, sample DNLA 1900 when running media servers etc ...

Thanks for that. I sort of figured it out. The extra parameter is --net=container:binhex-delugevpn and needed to set the Emby docker to network type None. I also needed to add Emby's port number to the DelugeVPN docker. That gets Emby and running, but I can't verify if it's using VPN or not. I can access the docker via its domain but not by its IP:port. I also can't access the Emby docker console to do an ifconfig check.

UPDATE: I searched "VPN_INPUT_PORTS" and found someone recently commented on SpaceInvader One's video about doing this. I originally followed the video and added a new Port to Deluge with Emby's port number. That's what got it sort of working, but the newest comment said:

"To add the other container's ports to delugevpn you must: "Edit 'VPN_INPUT_PORTS' env var and put applications Web UI port number in the 'value', if multiple ports required then use a comma to separate".

So I tried that and Emby becomes inaccessible again.

Edited by thunderclap
  • 3 weeks later...

[SOLVED - See Below]

So I decided this weekend to move my artwork from the associated movie/tv folder to one location on an Unassigned SSD that was added to a cache pool to speed up the thumbnail loading in the interface (Drives that were asleep take a moment to spin up). That has worked fine, and thumbnails load MUCH quicker now.

The problem I have, is no matter what I do, Emby seems to make duplicate/linked user shares called 'cache' and 'metadata'. So even though the path I have set to my drive is: '/mnt/emby-assets/', and the folders 'cache' and 'metadata' are created in the '/mnt/emby-assets' drive as expected, Emby also creates linked user shares ('cache' and 'metadata'). By linked I mean if I delete files in one location, they are deleted in the other as well.

So, what can I do to stop Emby from creating the mirrored user shares? And is this a bug? Why would it do that?

EDIT: Clarification: When I say linked, I mean the folder '/mnt/emby-assets/cache' is linked/mirrored to the user share that was created (/mnt/user/cache).

SOLUTION: So looks like it was user error. I'm going to leave this up for anyone else that might do the same thing. Basically, though I have used cache pools since they were available, I never realized there was an option to "Enable user share assignment". I had that set to yes, so top level folders in my emby-assets pool were automatically added to /mnt/user. Sigh.

Edited by DoeBoye
SOLVED
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I'm pretty new to Docker, and am confused about how to setup Emby with the right access to view various shares.  I ave this right now, from a fresh install...

Emby.png.b4954244613694ffcd88baa9733ae8ee.png

So my different media are all in different shared folders.  The container says to choose /mnt as the path, so I left it there.  I can select the folders direct through the disks in Emby this way, but it doesn't have permissions to read the files or write the images and info into the folders.  I add things, and Emby doesn't pull them in.

Is there some user I need to create and grant it access to the share?  Like an "Emby" user, and give it read/write to the various shares it needs access to?

Also, what are these "UID, GID, etc...?  Is that the user to run as?   There is very little information I can find in the interface to tell me how to set up/best practices...  I'm not concerned with any remote access for the time being, I just want it running inside the house.

Any help would be great...

Thanks.

1 hour ago, House Of Cards said:

Is there some user I need to create and grant it access to the share?  Like an "Emby" user, and give it read/write to the various shares it needs access to?

may start like this

change

UID > 99

GID > 100

remove

GIDLIST <<<< delete this entry

check

/mnt > edit > check if its read / write or may read only

image.thumb.png.3a74cb9d1aa7a3b9101eb628ecf465cf.png

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 4 months later...

Hi fellow Unraiders. I recently replaced and rebuilt a data drive. Subsequently, I'm having issues with Emby.

The three users I set up are gone, I can't log in with their creds. Instead, I see a new user "bin" that I never created.

I found this discussion on the Emby forum which pointed me at users.db, I also posted there for help.

Per the Emby discussion, I opened up users.db, and I can see my three users in there. And there's no "bin" user.

What could've happened and how do I fix this?

In /data:

image.png.daae11625243043f30eb8ffaffd056d8.png

In users.db:

image.thumb.png.01bb8c02d9cb09807eec1ae7a43e3001.png

• 3 months later...

This beta server is creating entries in the root of the Unraid file system with the names of the paths you specify in the configuration.  The directories are empty, and the paths are set up properly in the docker config, but it's happening consistently.

So if I create a path variable in the docker configuration, and set the host path to the Unraid server share location, and set the container path to /mnt/Movies... it creates a "Movies" folder in the root of Unraid, which is a no-no...

Could it be that this variable is set by the beta docker, which is not set by the default Emby docker?

Screenshot_20231101_124155.png

Screenshot_20231101_124155.png.dbc01913d0353b9433ca56a7df814e48.pngThis beta server is creating entries in the root of the Unraid file system with the names of the paths you specify in the configuration.  The directories are empty, and the paths are set up properly in the docker config, but it's happening consistently.

So if I create a path variable in the docker configuration, and set the host path to the Unraid server share location, and set the container path to /mnt/Movies... it creates a "Movies" folder in the root of Unraid, which is a no-no...

Could it be that this variable is set by the beta docker, which is not set by the default Emby docker?

Screenshot_20231101_124155.png

Edited by House Of Cards
Sceen Shot
  • 2 months later...

I'm having a stange problem with Emby not picking up trailers that I have copied into the movie folder.

For example, 

I have a folder called The Creator and the movie is stored in it. I then have a subfolder called Trailers, I have also tried Extras and copied an mkv trailer into that. 

I rescanned my library and the trailer is simply not picked up. That happenes with all movies that I seem to download to my hard drive and copy over to the movie folder on my arrary.

If I download the trailer/special features via my server, say Radarr, then move the files to the movie folder via midnight commander, it's picked up properly.

Just can't figure out what's the cause.

One other thing I noticed to the above. If I copy a file from my computer hard drive to the array and then look at the folder in Midnight Commander via my server, the file name has an * in front of the file name. Those only appear on files I copy from my hard drive to the array...nto sure what that means...

• 1 month later...

Anyone else having issues with the new 4.8.0.80 and latest 4.8.1.0 versions? I use a couple of amazon firesticks and when choosing a "play from here" option half the time the emby app just reloads rather than play whatever it's supposed to. Also in the Tv Shows for example there is an "upcoming" option - again this only works occasionally and the artwork seems to stick going down the list of shows then Emby just restarts again?

I'm running Unraid 6.12.6

Any suggestions?

I was going to post a question about missing episodes and where that option is now located with 4.8.1.0 but then I saw the tumbleweeds blowing by... Not sure if this place is still alive..???

If there is a dev reading, can we get the option to get missing episodes back into the list so we KNOW we are missing something?

If this is no longer the place to ask these questions please point us to the correct location or do I have to learn how to make requests on github?

Thanks!!

1 hour ago, Blaqwolf said:

If this is no longer the place to ask these questions please point us to the correct location or do I have to learn how to make requests on github?

These dockers are really just a port of the official releases, so probably best to ask the question on the emby forums.

• Like 1