binhex

[Support] binhex - rTorrentVPN

2192 posts in this topic Last Reply

could you perhaps give me some more info where to look for it,

all torrents are stored on the same share.

the torrents that work and don't work are all scattered around the several disk on the array.
i even checked if the torrents with the issues where on the same drive but they aren't.
i even did a few a forced recheck.

Is anybody having a problem with latest relase? 

RuTorrent spins around forever and times out with the error "Bad response from server: (0 [error,getplugins])"

Have tried with an empty configuration. The logs does not include anything hinting about an error.

https://github.com/binhex/arch-rtorrentvpn/issues/104#issuecomment-506994129

[info] rTorrent listening interface IP 0.0.0.0 and VPN provider IP 10.xx.xx.xx different, marking for reconfigure

2019-06-30 01:13:59,320 DEBG 'watchdog-script' stdout output:
[info] rTorrent not running

2019-06-30 01:13:59,336 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:
Error: could not find any address for the name: `ns1.google.com'

2019-06-30 01:13:59,340 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:
Error: could not find any address for the name: `resolver1.opendns.com'

2019-06-30 01:13:59,362 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:
[warn] Cannot determine external IP address, exhausted retries setting to lo '127.0.0.1' 

Could this be because of the remove of opendns and google in the DNS servers ?

Also experiencing this exact behavior on unraid w/ rtorrentvpn and airvpn which I think is causing "Tracker: [Failure reason \"Invalid IP announced (127.0.0.1)\"]" w/ one of my trackers.

019-06-29 17:16:11,668 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:
[warn] Cannot determine external IP address, exhausted retries setting to lo '127.0.0.1'

https://github.com/binhex/arch-rtorrentvpn/issues/104

Edited by lzrdking71

Is there a way to change the default username/password for ruTorrent?

Edit - I just created a new user with 

docker exec -it binhex-rtorrentvpn /home/nobody/createuser.sh <username>

Edited by Partial

On 6/30/2019 at 12:54 AM, lzrdking71 said:

Also experiencing this exact behavior on unraid w/ rtorrentvpn and airvpn which I think is causing "Tracker: [Failure reason \"Invalid IP announced (127.0.0.1)\"]" w/ one of my trackers.

019-06-29 17:16:11,668 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:

https://github.com/binhex/arch-rtorrentvpn/issues/104

@TRaSH and @lzrdking71 see latest comment for the linked issue above

@binhex responded on github,
from now on i keep this issue only on github so we don't have to keep track on both topics.

need to setup a test rtorrentvpn anyway for this testing.
because of my rehash issue

To disable the need to login as admin:rutorrent at http://<host ip>:9080/ aka HTTP Basic Authentication

Per the nginx docs http://nginx.org/en/docs/http/ngx_http_auth_basic_module.html

In file `/config/nginx/config/nginx.conf` eg `/mnt/user/appdata/binhex-rtorrentvpn/nginx/config/nginx.conf`

You can set `auth_basic` to "off", like so:

location / {
            index index.html index.htm index.php;
            #auth_basic "Restricted Content";
            auth_basic off;
            auth_basic_user_file /config/nginx/security/auth;
        }

HTTP Basic Authentication will be disabled after restarting the container 👍.

Edited by m8ty
bold for emphasis

I'm having issues with extremely slow speeds in the container, approx 500K down using speedtest-cli.  If I connect to the same gateway outside the container in Windows I pull the expected 70-100m.  Trying to troubleshoot the issue. Can anyone direct me on how I can close openvpn so I can retest? I want to isolate if it's the VPN or some other issue. When I kill the pid, I can't get the test to run and openvpn is back within a minute.  Thanks for the help

Edited by tieme

2 hours ago, TRaSH said:

and we're expecting a update in a few days.

you are too late, image was built this afternoon and is available now 😎

After the update this morning when I wanted to login with my mobile.

I can't access the webgui.

Getting a plug-in error

09.07.2019 05:50:08] WebUI started.

[09.07.2019 05:50:08] Bad response from server: (0 [error,getplugins])

In the logs the last part hangs on

2019-07-09 05:23:38,622 DEBG 'watchdog-script' stdout output:
[info] rTorrent running
[info] Initialising ruTorrent plugins (checking nginx is running)...

Not able to test with my laptop yet.

Before this evening when I get home.

Already asked a friend of mine to check on his system with a mobile.

Just recently trying this container out after using your awesome delugevpn for a very long time - I am having trouble finding where you can change the default login for rutorrent. The default login of admin/rutorrent works, but I would like to use rutorrent with a reverse proxy in the future, and would like to have something more secure. Is there a way to do this through the web ui? Or through config files?

Thanks for the amazing containers, binhex!

FYI for anyone that uses this with TorGuard - they just released a new certificate (ca.crt) and so you need to update that file (should be in your "openvpn" folder of your appdata directory for this container) in your config otherwise it won't connect anymore.

I lost track of the actual error from the container log since I restarted it, but it was similar to what they show on TorGuard's website - "TLS_ERROR: BIO read tls_read_plaintext error". If you see that or something similar, it is probably the issue with their new cert needing to be loaded.

Edited by deusxanime
grammar

Thx hopefully no updates so it keeps running.

I won't be home before tomorrow evening

@binhex I'm certain that my question is a stupid one, but I'd really like to have this up behind a reverse proxy, and use the rutorrent built in authentication, but I don't want to expose it with the default login. Any help greatly appreciated, thanks!

On 7/20/2019 at 5:56 AM, pumavision said:

@binhex I'm certain that my question is a stupid one, but I'd really like to have this up behind a reverse proxy, and use the rutorrent built in authentication, but I don't want to expose it with the default login. Any help greatly appreciated, thanks!

In the container console, go to the /config/nginx/security folder: the auth file contains the authentication info.

Delete it, and then re-generate it using this command:

htpasswd -c auth yourusername

You will then be asked to enter a password (twice).

If you wish to add more users, you can use this command:

htpasswd auth yourusername

Edited by wblondel

On 7/20/2019 at 4:56 AM, pumavision said:

nope not stupid at all, alternative to previous posters solution (which should work), taken from the readme.md:-

If you want to create an additional user account for ruTorrent webui then please execute the following on the host:-

docker exec -it <container name> /home/nobody/createuser.sh <username>

If you want to delete a user account (or change the password for an account) then please execute the following on the host:-

docker exec -it <container name> /home/nobody/deluser.sh <username>

as a side note, most people actually want to remove authentication when reverse proxying, otherwise you are going to end up with two lots of authentication (one for reverse proxy and one for the app), but the decision is yours :-).

Edited by binhex

1 hour ago, binhex said:

nope not stupid at all, alternative to previous posters solution (which should work), taken from the readme.md:-

If you want to create an additional user account for ruTorrent webui then please execute the following on the host:-

docker exec -it <container name> /home/nobody/createuser.sh <username>

If you want to delete a user account (or change the password for an account) then please execute the following on the host:-

docker exec -it <container name> /home/nobody/deluser.sh <username>

as a side note, most people actually want to remove authentication when reverse proxying, otherwise you are going to end up with two lots of authentication (one for reverse proxy and one for the app), but the decision is yours :-).

Thanks so much! This did the trick. My plan is to create my own user/password for rutorrent webui with this method, and have that as my only authentication. There is none for the reverse proxy itself. I believe this is secure, although inconvenient at the moment since all my services behind the proxy have separate logins. I will probably switch this one day to have a unified login, but for now, this is what I needed to get up and running. Thanks again :)

i'm using autodl-irss,
but after a restart of rutorrent or a update i'm getting always the following error.
image.thumb.png.5574d78dab924bc94bd4006489056af5.png

I then need to go to the autodl-irss settings and just click on the settings and then i start to work again.
most of the time.

10 hours ago, binhex said:

Why didn't I think of that?!  Thanks for that binhex.  I've got several apps each using their own authentication, and have it disabled on reverse proxy (apart from one web server).  Flip it on it's head, and single external login with no internal authentication.  Sorted!

On 7/22/2019 at 11:54 PM, binhex said:

What is the correct way of removing the ruTorrent authentication?

I set "ENABLE_RPC2_AUTH=no" and restarted, still get auth dialog.
Also tried removing rtorrent/config/nginx/security/auth and also still get auth dialog.

Also tried just removing the admin user with the deluser.sh script, still same.

1 hour ago, 7thSon said:

What is the correct way of removing the ruTorrent authentication?

I set "ENABLE_RPC2_AUTH=no" and restarted, still get auth dialog.
Also tried removing rtorrent/config/nginx/security/auth and also still get auth dialog.

Also tried just removing the admin user with the deluser.sh script, still same.

you need to edit the nginx configuration file nginx.conf and look for these lines:-

change this:- 

location / {
            auth_basic "Restricted Content";
            auth_basic_user_file /config/nginx/security/auth;
        }

to this:-

location / {
        }

make sure you do this for http and https, save and restart the container.