[Plugin] Linuxserver.io - Unraid DVB

I have no idea, I compile the drivers, never seen a Digital Devices card in real life, in fact as of a couple of weeks ago I no longer own a DVB card at all.

I had a suspicion Digital Devices had pushed their drivers upstream to the kernel, but until someone with a Digital Devices card actually tests them, I can't vouch for anything.

@meep I think has a Digital Devices setup that iirc is quite elaborate, he may be able to give some advice.

1 hour ago, CHBMB said:

I have no idea, I compile the drivers, never seen a Digital Devices card in real life, in fact as of a couple of weeks ago I no longer own a DVB card at all.

I had a suspicion Digital Devices had pushed their drivers upstream to the kernel, but until someone with a Digital Devices card actually tests them, I can't vouch for anything.

@meep I think has a Digital Devices setup that iirc is quite elaborate, he may be able to give some advice.

ok, thx. if drivers are included in kernel, do you have to do extra steps (or none at all) to make them useable for unRAIDs kernel? (JFMI)

ok, thx. if drivers are included in kernel, do you have to do extra steps (or none at all) to make them useable for unRAIDs kernel? (JFMI)
I activate all the modules for DVB hardware in the kernel when I create the DVB builds. In theory, if they're now in kernel, you should find it works with the LibreELEC build and it should mean I can stop doing the Digital Devices build as all the drivers are now upstream in the kernel... :)

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, CHBMB said:

I activate all the modules for DVB hardware in the kernel when I create the DVB builds. In theory, if they're now in kernel, you should find it works with the LibreELEC build and it should mean I can stop doing the Digital Devices build as all the drivers are now upstream in the kernel... :)

Just had a PM from @s.Oliver on this. Wasn't aware they were in kernel so will try to have a play in the coming days if I find the time. Will report back when I know more.

Just had a PM from [mention=66961]s.Oliver[/mention] on this. Wasn't aware they were in kernel so will try to have a play in the coming days if I find the time. Will report back when I know more.

Thanks, I'm happy to help with compiling providing people give me the info I need to do so.

On 23.2.2018 at 6:53 PM, CHBMB said:

Thanks, I'm happy to help with compiling providing people give me the info I need to do so.

well, we'll need your magic in the future, because in my tests i've seen no driver (or let me say detection of it) while using the standard unRAID build and an Digital Devices tv-card. if i would need to guess, i would say, that lime tech doesn't compile them in their kernel (probably as to get it as small as possible).

my TBS 8-tuner DVB-C card had a small fan, which cried to loud. so i've replaced it with the DD Max A8, which is a passiv-cooled card. all seems to working well and it was a simple breeze to change TVH settings (2 min.) to use this card; and all was running immediately.

well, we'll need your magic in the future, because in my tests i've seen no driver (or let me say detection of it) while using the standard unRAID build and an Digital Devices tv-card. if i would need to guess, i would say, that lime tech doesn't compile them in their kernel (probably as to get it as small as possible).

my TBS 8-tuner DVB-C card had a small fan, which cried to loud. so i've replaced it with the DD Max A8, which is a passiv-cooled card. all seems to working well and it was a simple breeze to change TVH settings (2 min.) to use this card; and all was running immediately.

The stock build definitely won't work, but you may find the LibreELEC build works as that includes the kernel drivers that aren't activated by LT.

ok, but i simply took the digital devices github build ;-)
So...

LT stock build - No DVB drivers

LibreELEC build - Standard kernel DVB drivers and a few extra firmware files to increase device support

Digital Devices Github - Dedicated digital devices drivers that weren't included in the kernel.

As Digital Devices have now upstreamed their devices into the kernel the whole point is dev may cease on their github drivers and there may indeed be no need to include doing the Digital Devices builds as the drivers will be included in the LibreELEC build.

2 minutes ago, CHBMB said:

So...

LT stock build - No DVB drivers

LibreELEC build - Standard kernel DVB drivers and a few extra firmware files to increase device support

Digital Devices Github - Dedicated digital devices drivers that weren't included in the kernel.

As Digital Devices have now upstreamed their devices into the kernel the whole point is dev may cease on their github drivers and there may indeed be no need to include doing the Digital Devices builds as the drivers will be included in the LibreELEC build.

ah, thanks! i see.

well, as long as you provide these dedicated builds i'll probably simply use them – and afterwards i hopefully remember that i've to use that LibreELEC build ^_^

ah, thanks! i see.
well, as long as you provide these dedicated builds i'll probably simply use them – and afterwards i hopefully remember that i've to use that LibreELEC build 
If it were me, I'd use the LibreELEC builds and see if they work, the Digital Devices Github drivers havn't been updated for a while and may fail to compile as Unraid upgrades the kernel with each release.

Better to try and iron out problems with the LE builds now IMHO than having to rush things in the future.

Also, if the drivers are now in the kernel I'm not going to do anymore Digital Devices Github builds as there's no need.

• Upvote 1
15 hours ago, CHBMB said:

If it were me, I'd use the LibreELEC builds and see if they work, the Digital Devices Github drivers havn't been updated for a while and may fail to compile as Unraid upgrades the kernel with each release.

Better to try and iron out problems with the LE builds now IMHO than having to rush things in the future.

Also, if the drivers are now in the kernel I'm not going to do anymore Digital Devices Github builds as there's no need.

i see, and don't get me wrong, didn't want to back off being a test-dummy ;-)

ok, i did a short test with the LibreELEC build and my card.

first things first:

your plug-in reports v1.2.2 as drivers and everything is detected right.

all tuners are recognized and they seem to work.

BUT: i see alot of errors reported through TVH and also more errors in the TVH log (all in comparison to the github build to which i'm back now).

i'll report a bit more detailed, but need to get some sleep now.

16 hours ago, s.Oliver said:

i see, and don't get me wrong, didn't want to back off being a test-dummy ;-)

ok, i did a short test with the LibreELEC build and my card.

first things first:

your plug-in reports v1.2.2 as drivers and everything is detected right.

all tuners are recognized and they seem to work.

BUT: i see alot of errors reported through TVH and also more errors in the TVH log (all in comparison to the github build to which i'm back now).

i'll report a bit more detailed, but need to get some sleep now.

Thanks, some logs when you're next able would be helpful,. ;)

v6.5.0rc1 uploaded.  Not done Digital Devices as drivers now in kernel, so use LE build instead.

Have changed one of the kernel options for MSI interuppts for Digital Devices cards, regarding the error messages @s.Oliver was seeing in the hope that might solve them.

• Upvote 1
12 hours ago, CHBMB said:

v6.5.0rc1 uploaded.  Not done Digital Devices as drivers now in kernel, so use LE build instead.

Have changed one of the kernel options for MSI interuppts for Digital Devices cards, regarding the error messages @s.Oliver was seeing in the hope that might solve them.

Hi mate

upgraded last night to the TBS Open source build and wife just told me tv not working.  I've checked and in TVH there are no cards showing - checked docker all still seems ok and the card is still in unraid, so don't think this is RC1 unraid's end:

5a9926f038d2b_FireShotCapture58-Highlander_UpdateContainer_-https___1d087a25aac48109ee9a15217a.thumb.png.4dedbb0eefc6527677c3378bbaf7dadb.png

IOMMU group 34:	[544d:6178] 07:00.0 Multimedia controller: TBS Technologies DVB-S2 4 Tuner PCIe Card

diagnostics attached if they help - I know you don't have a DVB card anymore to check yourself :-(

highlander-diagnostics-20180302-1027.zipKeep up the good work!

7 minutes ago, CHBMB said:

Try a new tvheadend docker install with fresh appdata.

I need to switch threads - the problem's either with 6.5rc1 or tvh.   I installed dvblink docker and the cards are showing.  I then tried removing my tvh image and reinstalling and also a fresh 2nd tvh install and sitll no cards.

Thanks for helping debug

I need to switch threads - the problem's either with 6.5rc1 or tvh.   I installed dvblink docker and the cards are showing.  I then tried removing my tvh image and reinstalling and also a fresh 2nd tvh install and sitll no cards.

Thanks for helping debug
You sure no VM has started or anything and snatched the card?

30 minutes ago, CHBMB said:

You sure no VM has started or anything and snatched the card?

yes - i temporarily installed the dvblink docker and it saw the cards ok.  I will try a reboot when the family are eating dinner though to see what happens

• Squid locked this topic