unRAID Server release 4.5 "final" Available

limetech

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I upgraded to this version from beta 11.

I can confirm that the short freeze in video playback when spinning up other drives is solved in this version.

I checked the spin-up groups and it seems every drive on my rig is on his own host. So my problem before was not related to the spinning up of multiple harddisks on the same controller.

Anyway's great job, as this was the last problem i had with unraid. Everything seems to work flawless now.

I attempted to upgrade from 4.5 11 beta to 4.5 final, but the system hangs up on startup.  What I mean is when it starts loading the bzroot file but just sticks.   I went back and changed the files back to 4.5 11b and was able to do so.

Follow step number two (only step two) on this page (http://www.lime-technology.com/joomla/unraid-os)  It will not mess up what is on the stick.  You may have to get the latest syslinux.exe, don't know if the one on the page is the latest.  This happened to me and this solved the problem.  I guess the earlier versions of syslinux is a bit buggy.

Upgraded to 4.5 but the server won't now powerdown. The unRAID main page shows all discs as "unmounting" and unMENU shows "SAMBA is STOPPED, Shared drives will not be visible on the LAN". Any ideas? Other than adding (*rw) to the Export(NFS) on the Shares page I've changed nothing.

I cannot get a syslog from unMENU as IE "canot display the web page"

Thanks

Upgraded to 4.5 but the server won't now powerdown. The unRAID main page shows all discs as "unmounting" and unMENU shows "SAMBA is STOPPED, Shared drives will not be visible on the LAN". Any ideas? Other than adding (*rw) to the Export(NFS) on the Shares page I've changed nothing.

I cannot get a syslog from unMENU as IE "canot display the web page"

Thanks

You have a process that is busy on one of your disks (or has as its current directory one of your data disks...).  Stop the process and the server will then shut down as usual.

Hi,

I have been running 4.4.2 for quite a while and my server has been stable.

I recently upgraded to 4.5 and have noticed that my server freezes up after a period of no usage, like about 6 or 8 hours. Never had this issue on 4.4.2

i tryed the 4.5.13 beta but switched to the final in a day or 2, so i don't know if the problem was happening with the beta. My hardware configuration has not changed since i installed 4.4.2 either, so i am a bit puzzeled as to what is happening here. Being a linux noob doesn't help either.

I am attaching the last log file.

Thanks,

Gary

Do you have any scripts installed on the server (to manage the disks or power)?

At the beginning of the shutdown two lines appear and as there is nothing for the proceeding two hours the syslog isn't revealing the reason why powerdown was initiated so this file isn't going to be much help.

Dec 11 08:05:14 FileSvr logger: Powerdown initiated

Dec 11 08:05:14 FileSvr rc.unRAID[18917]: Stopping unRAID.

I have the powerdown 1.02 script installed and unraid notify 2.5 script that would manage disks or power with this entry in the config:

# How long to wait for disk activity, in minutes, before spinning down an idle drive

# warning: Setting too low of a spindown time can prematurely age your drive by forcing

# too many spin-up/down cycles on the poor thing.

SpinDownTime = 180

Wonder if a power management setting in the bios is causing a problem in the 4.5 version?

I can report my bios settings here if anyone thinks that would be helpful.

Thanks

I have the powerdown 1.02 script installed and unraid notify 2.5 script that would manage disks or power with this entry in the config:

# How long to wait for disk activity, in minutes, before spinning down an idle drive

# warning: Setting too low of a spindown time can prematurely age your drive by forcing

# too many spin-up/down cycles on the poor thing.

SpinDownTime = 180

Wonder if a power management setting in the bios is causing a problem in the 4.5 version?

I can report my bios settings here if anyone thinks that would be helpful.

Thanks

Unraid notify 2.50 shouldn't be spinning down the disks at all, no matter what "SpinDownTime" is set to.  I would try disabling unraid_notify, just to make sure it isn't what's causing the issue.

I upgraded to 4.5 final this weekend and everything is working great.  On minor bug/issue to report that will not impact many people:

When you first add a new drive to the array and have the blue ball, when you start the array and refresh the page to see if the array has started yet, all disks show as "unformatted" until the array finishes starting.  After it is started, only the new disk shows as unformatted as it should.  Not a major issue, but a heart-starter none the less.

Just upgraded from 4.4.2 to 4.5 final, just one quesiton, has the splitleve changed in this version?

Yes, read about it here.

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=3760.0

I don't want it to ever split any files i'm copying (i always copy to the disk share), so should I have it at 0 or 1?

Thanks

If you copy only to the "disk" shares, it is not used at all, split level is ignored.  But if you don't want splitting at all, and use user-shares, then 0 is probably what you want if you want it to never create folders on other disks, or 1 if it is OK to have the top level (user-share) folder on multiple disks... In other words, ok to have /mnt/disk1/movies and automatically create /mnt/disk2/movies if needed, but not automatically create any lower level folders.

I have been running 4.4.2 for quite a while and my server has been stable.

I recently upgraded to 4.5 and have noticed that my server freezes up after a period of no usage, like about 6 or 8 hours. Never had this issue on 4.4.2

i tryed the 4.5.13 beta but switched to the final in a day or 2, so i don't know if the problem was happening with the beta. My hardware configuration has not changed since i installed 4.4.2 either, so i am a bit puzzeled as to what is happening here. Being a linux noob doesn't help either.

I am attaching the last log file.

There is no evidence of any freezes in this syslog piece.  (This is not the whole syslog, the first part has been 'rotated'.)  The mover script runs every morning at 4am, then the drives spin down 2 hours later (a bit after 6am).  On the 11th, as eek shows at 8:05:14am, powerdown was initiated *twice* in a row, perhaps by pressing the Ctl-Alt-Del key combination to rouse the server?  For some odd reason, the system does not shut down either time (or you would not have obtained the syslog!).

Can you indicate why you thought the system had frozen, how you tested what is or is not working?

One item to note, perhaps for WeeboTech to check - I believe you are running powerdown 1.02, and I noticed that all of the data drives were unmounted but NOT the Cache drive.

If you copy only to the "disk" shares, it is not used at all, split level is ignored.   But if you don't want splitting at all, and use user-shares, then 0 is probably what you want if you want it to never create folders on other disks, or 1 if it is OK to have the top level (user-share) folder on multiple disks... In other words, ok to have /mnt/disk1/movies and automatically create /mnt/disk2/movies if needed, but not automatically create any lower level folders.

I had believed that 0 was set back to meaning any split is allowed sometime in this Beta process.

1 is the best setting to avoid unwanted splitting then also enter the disks you want each share to use or not use as the case may be.

Still, using disk shares will make the setting meaningless.

Peter

An explicit value of "0" in the 'Split level' field means this:

When we are creating a new object (file or directory), we follow these rules:

First, we determine the set of disk that already contain the new objects parent directory.

Second, we assign the disk to use, from among this set, according to the 'Allocation method' specified for the share.

I upgraded to 4.5 from 4.3 and now I can't get into the Web GUI at all. I was able to get into the UnMenu GUI for a short time but I can't get that either now. I can Telnet in, browser the files from windows and ping it no problem. Log is attached.

Your NIC is taking a longer time than usual to initialize - not sure why this would prevent webGui access, but please try this workaround: In your 'config/go' file on the Flash, please insert a small delay before starting 'emhttp'.  Your 'go' file should look like this:

#!/bin/bash
sleep 5
# Start the Management Utility
/usr/local/sbin/emhttp &

That line 'sleep 5' will cause the script to delay for 5 seconds before going on.  Please let me know if this solves the problem.