ControlR (Android/iOS app for unRAID)

This app is amazing! Thank you!

Can anyone direct me to a tutorial for being able to access my unraid servers through this app when I'm not at home? I see people talking about a VPN solution. How exactly do I do that?

Thanks!

Thanks DazedAndConfused !

As for the VPN, depends on your environment, but you basically need to set up something like OpenVPN in your firewall. If you're using pfsense, something like this might help pfsense/opnvpn. Or if using vyos, check this

In general, openvpn setup is pretty well documented, there's even a docker for unRAID that installs it.

I've published v1.5.0 on the Play Store.

The most important changes are:

- Font size can be adjusted in-app (allowing UI to be scaled)

- Server pages (disks, ops, etc.) can be swiped (left/right)

- Adding a server shows errors instantly

- Moved app version display

- Bug fixes and improvements

In the settings page you can choose a font size, with the same options as in the Android general settings: tiny, small, normal, large and huge (normal is default).

It scales the entire UI (with the exception of the dropdown and switch elements in the settings page, which I hope to fix in an upcoming release).

Let me know how it goes !

Hi, I've published v1.5.1,

- Fix display of shares with long names

- Mask password entry input fields

- Stop array before powering it down

- Bug fixes and improvements

I've also added all the requests I've received to the request forum

A comment about remote access:

It could never be as magical as just enter a public WAN address and then you'll have access to the unRAID server.

The amount of set up to get something like this working, from a user standpoint, would be very similar to setting OpenVPN up (open firewall ports, probably create private/public keys, probably enter auth tokens in the app, etc.)

OpenVPN is a tried and true technology which serves exactly the purpose of this feature request: access servers on the other side of a firewall (as I really want to believe that nobody is exposing its unRAID server directly on the internet).

You can even limit client access to a specific lan address, it really doesn't come much more secure than this.

It's being used at corporate level and if you can't install it due to some policy, I very much doubt policies will let you install an "unproven" plugin (which would be required to provide such a feature).

There are also other subtle implementation details that need to be taken into consideration.

Anyway, this is how the board looks right now

4NWTvR9.png

A comment about remote access:

It could never be as magical as just enter a public WAN address and then you'll have access to the unRAID server.

The amount of set up to get something like this working, from a user standpoint, would be very similar to setting OpenVPN up (open firewall ports, probably create private/public keys, probably enter auth tokens in the app, etc.)

OpenVPN is a tried and true technology which serves exactly the purpose of this feature request: access servers on the other side of a firewall (as I really want to believe that nobody is exposing its unRAID server directly on the internet).

You can even limit client access to a specific lan address, it really doesn't come much more secure than this.

It's being used at corporate level and if you can't install it due to some policy, I very much doubt policies will let you install an "unproven" plugin (which would be required to provide such a feature).

There are also other subtle implementation details that need to be taken into consideration.

Nice work on all the updates.

I can only say I agree 100% with the above. 

• Like 1

I wanted to add the log view, but the stock webGui implements it essentially as a `tail -f`, so I have to look at some alternatives  ;D

For some, perhaps for many, the tail is all they want or need.  It's hard for me to imagine wanting to study an entire syslog on a small screen.

I wanted to add the log view, but the stock webGui implements it essentially as a `tail -f`, so I have to look at some alternatives  ;D

For some, perhaps for many, the tail is all they want or need.  It's hard for me to imagine wanting to study an entire syslog on a small screen.

RobJ, oh definitely !

What I meant is that it's a bit different to handle an open connection such as a tail -f from an app.

On a browser you just open the php page and it's refreshed as needed. The connection remains open.

Since the app is looking at the same interface that a browser sees,  I'm exploring some alternatives, since what I tried initially didn't quite work :)

I'm sure you've thought of it, but you could do your own updating, drop the -f that keeps it open.

tail; save; display;

wait 15 or 30 seconds; (or 5 - 60?)

tail; compare with saved; if same continue looping;

if different: save; display; continue;

Thanks RobJ !

I haven't looked at logs these past few days (working on user permissions and some other stuff).

I was under the impression that I could access only whatever scripts were available for the webGui (assuming a stock unRAID and no 'ControlR plugin' on the server).

All there is, is a tail_log script that's called by the webGui to show the log.

But you gave me an idea, I'll take another look at the plugin interface.

• 3 weeks later...

ControlR 2 is out !

In addition to the great features from v1.5, ControlR now sports a powerful user permission system, to set per user limits on starting/stopping servers/dockers/vms and more.

You need to check it out !

Also, many bug fixes and improvement, to make the experience as smooth as possible.

Three additional comments:

1. This release includes a fix for the issue with adding a 6.2 server

2. The permission system is quite straightforward

Root user is the same as before, has full access to everything.

Create a user (let's say ... family) and in the description field enter the following:

nzbget|r-x,sonarr|r--,plex|rwx,ubuntu:---

This would mean that the family user

- can see and execute the nzbget docker

- can see, but not execute, nor remove the sonarr docker

- full access to the plex docker

- can't see the ubuntu vm

The syntax for the permissions is (multiple items are comma separated)

[docker|vm]|[r-][w-][x-]

r: User can see the docker/vm, but can't interact (actions are disabled)

w: User can edit/remove the docker/vm

x: User can start/stop the docker/vm

I'm working on a plugin so that user permissions can be set from a web interface.

3.  iOS is coming !