[SOLVED] Server no longer boots into 6.2.4 (only 6.1.9)

Try booting a fresh install to an actual USB flash drive. That will tell you whether the problem is with your boot drive or your other hardware.

Followed your advice plus some.

Tried booting from a different flash drive with a fresh install of 6.2.4. No success.

Tried booting with a fresh install of 6.3 RC6. No success.

Tried booting with a fresh install of 6.1.9. Worked great.

Not sure where to go from here though. The server has been running 6.2.4 since it was released. I will admit that this sort of event has occurred a couple of times though with 6.2. I was always able to boot a second time without issue though. Now the server refuses to boot into anything after 6.1.9 and I'm not sure how to solve this????

Edit- Looks like some plugins are no longer working as well. ca.update.applications and newransomware.bait both have install errors. My guess is that they won't run on 6.1.9 maybe?

Edit- Looks like some plugins are no longer working as well. ca.update.applications and newransomware.bait both have install errors. My guess is that they won't run on 6.1.9 maybe?

They do work on 6.1.9 but without knowing the errors can't help.  But I'd assume that you need to set static dns addresses

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

They do work on 6.1.9 but without knowing the errors can't help.  But I'd assume that you need to set static dns addresses

When I downgraded to 6.1.9 I got a new tab created in Plugins- Plugin File Install Errors.

It shows the following-

/boot/config/plugins-error/ca.update.applications.plg

/boot/config/plugins-error/newransomware.bait.plg

with a check box to delete the plugins.

Not sure where to view the actual error. The server does have a static address.

When I downgraded to 6.1.9 I got a new tab created in Plugins- Plugin File Install Errors.

It shows the following-

/boot/config/plugins-error/ca.update.applications.plg

/boot/config/plugins-error/newransomware.bait.plg

with a check box to delete the plugins.

Not sure where to view the actual error. The server does have a static address.

Try installing CA manually

When I try to install auto update manually I get the following error-

plugin: installing: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Squidly271/ca.update.applications/master/plugins/ca.update.applications.plg
plugin: downloading https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Squidly271/ca.update.applications/master/plugins/ca.update.applications.plg
plugin: downloading: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Squidly271/ca.update.applications/master/plugins/ca.update.applications.plg ... done

*********************************************************************************************

Community Applications Auto Update Applications Requires unRaid version 6.2 or greater to run

*********************************************************************************************
plugin: run failed: /usr/bin/php retval: 1

Didn't try a manual install of the ransomware protection plugin since there aren't any instructions in the OP for that support thread. I did see this though-

You can install this plugin via Community Applications (the Apps tab) within the Plugins section (or just search for ransonware).  This plugin requires unRaid 6.2+

Are you sure they run on 6.1.9?

When I try to install auto update manually I get the following error-

plugin: installing: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Squidly271/ca.update.applications/master/plugins/ca.update.applications.plg
plugin: downloading https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Squidly271/ca.update.applications/master/plugins/ca.update.applications.plg
plugin: downloading: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Squidly271/ca.update.applications/master/plugins/ca.update.applications.plg ... done

Community Applications Auto Update Applications Requires unRaid version 6.2 or greater to run

plugin: run failed: /usr/bin/php retval: 1

Didn't try a manual install of the ransomware protection plugin since there aren't any instructions in the OP for that support thread. I did see this though-

You can install this plugin via Community Applications (the Apps tab) within the Plugins section (or just search for ransonware).  This plugin requires unRaid 6.2+

Are you sure they run on 6.1.9?

Apparently not.  (I can't remember everything  ;) )

I'm sure there's a fundamental reason why I have both set to not run under 6.1, but I'd have to tear through all the code changes to see why.

• 2 weeks later...

Returning to the original problem, have you tried resetting the BIOS to factory default settings or seeing if there's an update available? Try a different USB 2 port since you say you've been using the same one throughout.

Finally got a chance to get back to this today. Tried a different USB port. Same result, v6.1.9 boots without issue and v6.2 fails. Tried checking for bios updates but can't figure out SuperMicro's naming system. My bios screen shows version 1.1b with a build date of 11/01/2013. The SuperMicro website files have a completely different name (R3.0a) and no build date info at all.

Judging from the warnings on the site I'm not sure this is something I'd want to attempt anyway. I'm fairly sure from your previous posts in other threads that you're a Mac user. Is it possible to flash the bios using a Mac? Google found a few articles on how to prepare a USB flash drive using Windows but nothing for Mac and this process is way outside my knowledge level. I would hate to wipe out my motherboard trying this when I don't even know for sure that it will correct the problem.

Edited to add link to SuperMicro support.

Following the link for server hardware, I downloaded the BIOS update file and the files within that zip file have a date of December 2015...

Thanks. Missed that. Must be an updated version then. Could still use some guidance on a process for flashing the bios though. Maybe It's very simple and SuperMicro wants to complicate things as much as possible so that people will buy new hardware instead?

I don't own any Supermicro motherboards but I've prepared USB sticks for other purposes on a Mac. What exactly do you need to do? I've successfully updated Asus motherboard BIOSes in the past from a file simply placed in the root of the USB device. Do you need to prepare a DOS bootable device?

I don't own any Supermicro motherboards but I've prepared USB sticks for other purposes on a Mac. What exactly do you need to do? I've successfully updated Asus motherboard BIOSes in the past from a file simply placed in the root of the USB device. Do you need to prepare a DOS bootable device?

Here is the readme file from the bios update package downloaded from SuperMicro-

================================================
FOR <filename>.zip
1. Save this file to your computer.

2. extract the files to a DOS bootable device (such as a bootable USB stick, or CD).

3. Boot to a DOS prompt and type AMI.BAT BIOSname.###.

4. Do not interrupt the process until the flashing is complete.

5. After you see the message of BIOS has completed the update, unplug the AC, clear the CMOS and plug in the AC and power on the system.

6. Go to the BIOS setup screen and press F9 to load the default and press F10 to save and exit.

Super.ROM (see user's manual for details)
Recovery Bios from a USB Device/Drive

If the BIOS fi le is corrupted and the system is not able to boot up, this feature will
allow you to recover the BIOS image using a USB-attached device. A USB Flash
Drive or a USB CD/DVD ROM/RW drive may be used for this purpose. Please note
that a USB Hard Disk drive is NOT supported at this time. Follow the procedures
below recover the BIOS.

1. Using a different system, copy the "Super.ROM" binary image file

into a USB fl ash device or a writable CD/DVD disc's Root "\" Directory.

2. Insert the USB device that contains the new BIOS binary image (°ßsuper.rom°®)

and power the system down.

3. While powering on the system, press and hold <Ctrl> and <Home> simultaneously

on your keyboard until the USB device's LED indicator comes on. This

will take a few seconds or up to one minute.

4. Once the USB device's LED is on, release the <Ctrl> and <Home> keys. The

system may generate beep codes to indicate that the BIOS ROM fi rmware

is being reprogrammed. The screen will also display a message as shown

below. DO NOT INTERRUPT THIS PROCESS!

5. When the Boot Sector Recovery Process is complete, the system will reboot

automatically

6. When DOS prompt appear, please type AMI.BAT BIOSname.###.

7. Do not interrupt the process until the flashing is complete.

8. After you see the message of BIOS has completed the update, unplug the AC, clear the CMOS and plug in the AC and power on the system.

then press F1 to go to the BIOS setup screen and press F9 to load the default and press F10 to save and exit.

** If the BIOS flash failed, you can contact our RMA dept. to have the bios chip reprogrammed.
This will require shipping the board to our RMA dept. for BIOS reprogramming.  
The RMA dept's email address is [email protected]

BIOS Name = PPPPPSSY.MDD

*********Here is a New BIOS Naming Convention****************

BIOS name     : PPPPPSSY.MDD

PPPPP          : 5-Bytes for project name

SS                 : 2-Bytes supplement for PPPPP

Y                   : Year,  9 -> 2009, 0-> 2010, 1->2011

MDD               : Month / Date

E.g. BIOS Build Date: 2010/1/15

X8ST3-F -> X8ST30.115

X8SIL-F -> X8SIL0.115

I see that it requires a DOS bootable drive. My guess is that's the same as preparing a flash drive for unRaid (fat32,mbr)? Maybe I could even use the same "make bootable mac" script? Not sure about step 3 though? What is a "DOS prompt"? Which filename to use in the command shown? There are several different files in the package.

AFUDOSU.SMC

ami.bat

Readme for AMI BIOS.txt

X10SLL5.C21

The DOS prompt is the text prompt you see when you've booted your motherboard using DOS. It's similar to the Linux bash prompt insofar as it allows you to type commands to execute programs. So the command you need is

AMI.BAT X10SLL5.C21

There's an easy way to make a DOS bootable USB stick on a Mac. Use the UNetbootin application. It's similar to the rufus application for Windows. Select FreeDOS from the menu and it will download the iso and write it to your USB stick.

Alternatively you can grab the FreeDOS iso manually and use the Disk Utility commands via the Terminal to write the image to the USB device. See here for both methods.

Don't forget to copy the Supermicro files into the root of your bootable USB stick.

You're not going blind - I added it in an edit after posting.

From the readme file you posted X10SLL5.C21 is the most likely file amongst those you listed to be the BIOS, though it doesn't quite follow the naming rules. The only other contender is the AFUDOSU.SMC file but that, according to this is not the case. Perhaps it's the executable that's called by the .BAT file.