gfjardim

Preclear plugin

2811 posts in this topic Last Reply

15 minutes ago, superloopy1 said:

Hi ... Just lost my zero'ing of a WD14TB drive at 99% with the following ....

Mar 1 21:05:16 xtower preclear_disk_39524A374C425943[5720]: Zeroing: dd output: dd: error writing '/dev/sda': No space left on device

Tried to resume the session but it just isnt picking up the device now, seems a strange error message, any ideas?

Send the diagnostics file.

4 minutes ago, superloopy1 said:

tools, diagnostics?

Yep

Posted (edited)
Just now, gfjardim said:

Yep, USB dropouts. You're not the first this week. If you can test the drive connected directly to a SATA port, we can troubleshoot it.

Got no free sata ports, that's the problem. I've been running preclears constatntly for a couple of weeks now via usb never had an issue, so what's causing this, and at 99% ... aargghh! Once preclared it goes in as an upgrade and outgoing disk goes to backup server.

Edited by superloopy1

Got no free sata ports, that's the problem. I've been running preclears constatntly for a couple of weeks now via usb never had an issue, so what's causing this, and at 99% ... aargghh!

All other drives were 14TB? Maybe a loose cable or a power brownout. 

Just now, gfjardim said:

All other drives were 14TB? Maybe a loose cable or a power brownout. 

Yup, all 14TB, no brownouts and  on ups.

Yup, all 14TB, no brownouts and  on ups.

🤔 All in the same port? These are drives that you're planning to shuck?

Unassigned devs not picking anything up atm, i've tried with the next couple of disks and  i'm running parity check so will restart server tmro. Thanks for your time.

Just now, gfjardim said:

🤔 All in the same port? These are drives that you're planning to shuck?

Yup, stay in enclosure (semi open so no heat issues) until tested and precleared then breakout and replace smaller drives in array. Been doing it for a good fewe weeks now and no probs till recently.

5 minutes ago, superloopy1 said:

Yup, stay in enclosure (semi open so no heat issues) until tested and precleared then breakout and replace smaller drives in array. Been doing it for a good fewe weeks now and no probs till recently.

Maybe you got a bad USB/SATA bridge controller. Try connecting it into the controller of another hard drive you've already shucked.

I'm new at unraid, so bear with me for being noobish.

I'm folling Spaceinvader One's basic tutorial, and I'm at the PreClear part, where I've run the SMART test, the extended one, and now I want to preclear the SSD, but it says this:

The disk '/dev/sdd' is part of unRAID's array, or is assigned as a cache device. Please choose another one from below: ==================================== Disks not assigned to the unRAID array (potential candidates for clearing) ======================================== /dev/sdb = ST4000DM005-2DP166_ZDH3H5R7 /dev/sdc = ST31000528AS_9VP7H8ZK

I did have it assigned as the cache drive, but no longer, it's not mounted, and the array is not running.
Can someone tell me what to do in order to preclear it?

I have a 1 TB and a 4 TB drive that is currently running the same SMART test, but it takes more time, the one at 1 TB is at 50 %, and the 4 TB is at 20 %.

Will I have the same issue with those 2 drives? They were assigned in the array, but is no longer, the same as the SSD.

Let me know if you need any other information.

7 minutes ago, Nanobug said:

I'm new at unraid, so bear with me for being noobish.

I'm folling Spaceinvader One's basic tutorial, and I'm at the PreClear part, where I've run the SMART test, the extended one, and now I want to preclear the SSD, but it says this:

I did have it assigned as the cache drive, but no longer, it's not mounted, and the array is not running.
Can someone tell me what to do in order to preclear it?

I have a 1 TB and a 4 TB drive that is currently running the same SMART test, but it takes more time, the one at 1 TB is at 50 %, and the 4 TB is at 20 %.

Will I have the same issue with those 2 drives? They were assigned in the array, but is no longer, the same as the SSD.

Let me know if you need any other information.

After remove the drive from the array, you have to start the array again to remove any references of it.

Posted (edited)

I please need some help. I have a mix of brand new Seagate ST2000 drives and identical drives that were in a previous trial array where they worked fine. Now they're all failing preclear at the post read. All but one of them (S/N ending in 6381) have no SMART errors and I can't see anything specific in the log files that indicates an actual failure. The Post-Read process is simply terminating with "your drive is not zeroed."

To make things more confusing other drives, but not this particular ST2000 model, have precleared just fine on the exact same hardware and Unraid USB configuration. I'm using the classic supported LSI/Avago 9211-8i controller running IT firmware.

This is running the latest version of preclear with the default script on Unraid 6.8.2. I'm wondering if everything worked before because it was an older version of both?

I've attached the report and log for the serial number ending in 1033. It shows the SMART status is fine. The reports/logs are identical for all the other "failing" drives (except S/N 6381 which may have a legit problem). I've also attached the Unraid diagnostics ZIP and included a few screenshots.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

preclear post read fails.jpg

preclear hdd smart status.jpg

preclear log failure sn1033.txt preclear report failure sn1033.txt tower-diagnostics-20200305-0916.zip

Edited by dev_guy

8 minutes ago, dev_guy said:

The Post-Read process is simply terminating with "your drive is not zeroed."

Have you done memtest? Bad RAM has caused this in the past, including for me.

35 minutes ago, gfjardim said:

After remove the drive from the array, you have to start the array again to remove any references of it.

Do you have a noobs guide for that?

Because I can't stsart it after I've removed/unassigned it.

5 minutes ago, trurl said:

For that amount of disks failing preclear, my guess is indeed memory errors, but he got disks dropping out too like "/dev/sde" and "/dev/sdg".

5 minutes ago, Nanobug said:

Do you have a noobs guide for that?

Because I can't stsart it after I've removed/unassigned it.

Array drives aren't supposed to be removed like that; or you replace the drive with another with the same/larger capacity, or you have to invalidate the parity to do that. What dou you want to accomplish?

Just now, gfjardim said:

Array drives aren't supposed to be removed like that; or you replace the drive with another with the same/larger capacity, or you have to invalidate the parity to do that. What dou you want to accomplish?

I'm following Spaceinvader One's basic tutorials since I'm completely new at unraid, and I'm preclearing the drives. And I can't do it for the SSD/cache drive.

4 minutes ago, Nanobug said:

I'm following Spaceinvader One's basic tutorials since I'm completely new at unraid, and I'm preclearing the drives. And I can't do it for the SSD/cache drive.

Do you already created your parity?

I'm using no parity atm. I don't have a spare drive. I'm going to upgrade capacity and add a parity drive later on.

15 minutes ago, trurl said:

I have not. That wouldn't explain why other drives have precleared on the same hardware but it's a good suggestion. This is a different motherboard and RAM than I had the earlier array running on. You would think, however, if I had bad RAM it would eventually crash Unraid and the entire machine. Still, it's worth a try.

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, Nanobug said:

I'm using no parity atm. I don't have a spare drive. I'm going to upgrade capacity and add a parity drive later on.

So you will preclear an empty drive and then add it to the array? Empty the contents another drive into the array, preclear this one and then add it too?

Edited by gfjardim

17 minutes ago, gfjardim said:

So you will preclear an empty drive and then add it to the array? Empty the contents another drive into the array, preclear this one and then add it too?

It's not empty. It was running with a Windows 10 Pro before. So I just wanna clear it completely, and then use it, or whatever makes more sense.