File Activity Plugin - How can I figure out what keeps spinning up my disks?

dlandon

Pfff.. adding cache_dirs is making it even worse, now disk 1 is also spinning up constantly, if i spin it down, it gets spinned up again immediatly. No activity is logged. Damn. i can only spin it down if is disable cache_dirs. What a mess.

Edited by jowi
2 hours ago, jowi said:

Pfff.. adding cache_dirs is making it even worse, now disk 1 is also spinning up constantly, if i spin it down, it gets spinned up again immediatly. No activity is logged. Damn. i can only spin it down if is disable cache_dirs. What a mess.

What is this in your 'go' file?

#
# Modify cron daily to 00:01 and add cron for disk1/parity spinup @ every saturday 7:01
/usr/bin/python /boot/custom/modify_cron.py
#
# Start kuro automode daemon
/usr/bin/python /boot/custom/kuroautomode.py start

Is this an issue with spin up?  Is the cron time set wrong?

No, that is ok. It will add a cron job that spins up disk 9 at 7:01 every saturday, so that timemachine can start at 7:05 without complaining that it can not find or access the disk: 

1 7 * * 6 /boot/custom/spinup_timemachine.sh

and the script basically does:

mdcmd spinup parity
mdcmd spinup 9

The kuroautomode is a deamon that checks the power state of my TV. It does not do any disk access.

This has been running for years now on my V5 unraid.

I suspect Sonarr to be spinning up some disks now and then, for it's syncing process. But these show up in file access. 

But like i mentioned, there are also disks spinned up without fileaccess plugin showing anytthing.

Edited by jowi
  • 4 months later...
2 hours ago, sarkomoth said:

I know there's an easy answer I'm missing, but...where's the button to use this plugin? I checked settings, tools, etc. and can't find it.

I'm on 6.6.1.  Thanks!

When in doubt, on majority of plugins from the plugins page you can click on the icon and it will take you to the appropriate page.   You can also do the same thing within the Apps Tab, Installed Apps and click on the "internet / globe" icon to take you to the page / webUI for the app in question

7 hours ago, trurl said:

It gets installed under Tools

I expected that.  But, unfortunately, it's not appearing on 6.6.1.

5 hours ago, Squid said:

When in doubt, on majority of plugins from the plugins page you can click on the icon and it will take you to the appropriate page.   You can also do the same thing within the Apps Tab, Installed Apps and click on the "internet / globe" icon to take you to the page / webUI for the app in question

Great tip! Clicking the icon on the plugins tab worked and took me straight to the File Activity UI.

I checked again on Tools and don't see the icon anywhere.  Here's a dump of my Page Map for Tools, and it's not there either.

1 [Tools] - 
2 (UNRAID-OS) - Unraid OS
3 Diagnostics - Diagnostics
3 [DockerSafeNewPerms] - Docker Safe New Perms
3 HardwareProfile - Hardware Profile
3 NewConfig - New Config
3 NewPerms - New Permissions
3 NotificationsArchive - Archived Notifications
3 Processes - Processes
3 SysDevs - System Devices
3 Syslog - System Log
2 (WebGui) - webGUI
3 PageMap - Page Map
3 Vars - Vars
2 (About) - About
3 Credits - Credits
3 EULA - EULA
3 [Registration] - Registration
3 Update - Update OS
3 UpdateAssistant - Update Assistant
2 (DiskUtilities) - Disk Utilities
3 Preclear - Preclear Disk

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, as im feeling i have alot more disk spinnups lately i try to figure what is the reason and may here someone has a hint cause im out of options ...

so i hoped i could figure something out about this plugin but may i missunderstand ...

as sample from the last ~ 3 hours

here from the logs when i started the plugin, as u see i get some spindownds (the disks where up between)

Oct 24 08:34:42 AlsServer ool www[6899]: /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/file.activity/scripts/rc.file.activity 'start'
Oct 24 08:34:42 AlsServer file.activity: Starting File Activity
Oct 24 08:48:14 AlsServer kernel: mdcmd (380): spindown 1
Oct 24 08:48:43 AlsServer kernel: mdcmd (381): spindown 2
Oct 24 08:49:00 AlsServer kernel: mdcmd (382): spindown 3
Oct 24 08:49:02 AlsServer kernel: mdcmd (383): spindown 4
Oct 24 09:37:52 AlsServer kernel: mdcmd (384): spindown 4
Oct 24 09:37:55 AlsServer kernel: mdcmd (385): spindown 2
Oct 24 09:37:58 AlsServer kernel: mdcmd (386): spindown 3
Oct 24 09:38:00 AlsServer kernel: mdcmd (387): spindown 1
Oct 24 10:35:22 AlsServer kernel: mdcmd (388): spindown 4
Oct 24 10:35:28 AlsServer kernel: mdcmd (389): spindown 2
Oct 24 10:35:32 AlsServer kernel: mdcmd (390): spindown 3
Oct 24 10:35:38 AlsServer kernel: mdcmd (391): spindown 1
Oct 24 11:01:29 AlsServer kernel: mdcmd (392): spindown 4
Oct 24 11:01:35 AlsServer kernel: mdcmd (393): spindown 2
Oct 24 11:01:38 AlsServer kernel: mdcmd (394): spindown 3
Oct 24 11:01:45 AlsServer kernel: mdcmd (395): spindown 1

in Fileactivity all i see are the real done accesses (unassigned device, cache drive, ...)

File Activity

** Unassigned Devices

Oct 24 08:36:40 OPEN => /mnt/disks/Samsung_SSD_950_PRO_512GB_S2GMNCAGB16552X/kodi-18.0-Leia_beta4-x64.exe

Oct 24 08:36:41 OPEN => /mnt/disks/Samsung_SSD_950_PRO_512GB_S2GMNCAGB16552X/kodi-18.0-Leia_beta4-x64.exe

Oct 24 08:36:41 OPEN => /mnt/disks/Samsung_SSD_950_PRO_512GB_S2GMNCAGB16552X/kodi-18.0-Leia_beta4-x64.exe

Oct 24 08:36:43 OPEN => /mnt/disks/Samsung_SSD_950_PRO_512GB_S2GMNCAGB16552X/kodi-18.0-Leia_beta4-x64.exe

** Cache

Oct 24 08:58:00 OPEN => /mnt/cache/Media/TVRIPS/Arrow/Season 06/Arrow (2012) - S06E12 - Pyrrhussieg.mkv

so to me its all good ... there shouldnt be any spinups for disk1 - 4

now when i take a look parallel in the open files plugin, i see i have some smbd listed

smbd    877 KILL    1    0    /mnt/cache
smbd    2032 KILL    1    0    /mnt/user/Media
smbd    15476 KILL    1    0    /mnt/user/Daten
smbd    19816 KILL    1    0    /mnt/disk1
smbd    22894 KILL    1    0    /mnt/user/isos

there are 0 /mnt/disk... or other /mnt/user... accesses wich could show a real access.

may possible to figure where the smbd accesses are exactly from ?

if thats the case my whole intense from cache drive is senseless, to me i keep actual "working" files or media in cache as long as possible

to keep the storage down (best only for move), but as all actual endpoints (Laptop, tv, kodi clients, ...) are using the mounts ... they pretty much are always

mounted, but then there should be 0 spindowns ? ;)

example, shield tv with kodi, needs the mount for accessing media.

so may i can get some light what im doing wrong or if thats by design ;)

thanks ahead and sorry if should be clear ...

current state from my disks

as u see (and i hear ;) ) all disks are spinning ...

image.png.a27ae5265ed8d6660c8818125450e891.png

Edited by alturismo
additions

I am having a problem similar to alturismo.  My drives are randomly spinning since about a week ago.  There is nothing in the file activity logs to support the drives powering on.  It seems to possibly be related to running VM's, but I couldn't swear to it.  Perhaps the latest version of UnRAID is polling the activity of drives in way different than previous releases?

This is happening for me as well. Interestingly, I have 2 micro servers both configured (almost) the same way  - but their hardware is slightly different - 1 x HP N54L and 1 x HP N36L.  The drives on the N36L never spin up unless a genuine access request is made. The N54L drives spin up every 30 mins or 60 mins, depending on, well, who knows....it's that weird. This has been happening for the last few releases. I'm going to do some booting into safe mode and see if the issue remains. I'm also going to check that the bios options are the same for each. Diags attached if it helps....

Archive.zip

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

currently having a problem installing this plugin im getting the error

unraid Version: 6.7.0-rc8 

plugin: installing: https://github.com/dlandon/file.activity/raw/master/file.activity.plg
plugin: downloading https://github.com/dlandon/file.activity/raw/master/file.activity.plg
plugin: downloading: https://github.com/dlandon/file.activity/raw/master/file.activity.plg ... done
plugin: run failed: /bin/bash retval: 1

Updating Support Links

5 hours ago, Dark-Raptor said:

currently having a problem installing this plugin im getting the error

unraid Version: 6.7.0-rc8 

plugin: installing: https://github.com/dlandon/file.activity/raw/master/file.activity.plg
plugin: downloading https://github.com/dlandon/file.activity/raw/master/file.activity.plg
plugin: downloading: https://github.com/dlandon/file.activity/raw/master/file.activity.plg ... done
plugin: run failed: /bin/bash retval: 1

Updating Support Links

Working fine for me.  Remove the /flash/config/plugins/file.activity/ folder and try again.

• 1 month later...

@dlandon

Thanks for the great plugin.

Like others, i had weird spin-up on my disk.

I used this plugin to track down, that it was plex that was shedule to make nightly database maintenance. So problem solved for me.

Is it possible you could add a custom schedule function under settings, to automatic clear the collected info?

• 3 weeks later...

I uninstalled and reinstalled the file activity plugin.

I also made sure that flash\config\plugins\file.activity did not exist at the time of reinstall.

After re-installation, I started file activity, but I do not see any logs or results, even after hitting refresh.

Status shows as running.  

I did adjust my inotify value (from 524288 to 2524288) with tips and tweaks (thanks for the tips and tweaks plugin!)

I can't figure out why do not get results with file activity.  

I attached the diagnostics.  Thanks for any insight into this.

tower2-diagnostics-20190717-1617.zip

• 1 month later...