File Activity Plugin - How can I figure out what keeps spinning up my disks?

dlandon

6 hours ago, Fuggin said:

Snarky.

I was doing file transfers and I wanted to see how it worked. Nothing showed up.

Your move.

Next time take a look at the log and see if it will tell you if there is a problem - It will.  Just posting that it doesn't work is not very productive and a waste of everyone's time.

I just installed this in v6.7.2. The file access seems to work after I press Refresh the file I had played showed up.

But, I have 5 out 8 disks that spin up every time I open the Share folder in Windows 7. I even tried with thumbnails disabled. And I have Dynamix Cache Dirs installed.

After the 5 disks spined up I noticed my total reads went up by 12. Why the heck are my drives spinning and reading just opening the share?

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Firstly, thank you!

As a new UNRAID user, I find this plug-in to be invaluable. Whenever my HDDs spin up unexpectedly, this is my go-to utility.

My only gripe is that the four control buttons (stop, refresh, clear, done) are at the bottom of the activity list.  As more and more activity is reported, the four buttons are forced downward and we have to scroll down (perhaps, several pages) to get to the buttons.

Is it possible to anchor the four buttons to the top of the page?  And while we're at it, could the activity list be sorted in reverse order?  It would be nice to have the option of seeing the latest activity show up at the top of the list, instead of having to scroll to the bottom every time.

Any help is appreciated, and thanks again for a great plug-in!

15 hours ago, sjb217 said:

Is it possible to anchor the four buttons to the top of the page?  And while we're at it, could the activity list be sorted in reverse order?

That's not consistent with how other things work in Unraid.  This operates the same as the syslog.

• 4 months later...

is the log, which is shown in the UI, available as a text file in some folder maybe?

Can this be written to file periodically? daily for example?

I might try to load it into DB, so I can better analyse it, and optimize some jobs, so i can group the disk spin up/down activities better maybe

• 4 weeks later...

@LSL1337 did you found another log (or file) execpt the one in the UI. I try to figure out why one of my disk got constanly disk activity.

In the UI (see screenshot #1) the plugin stopps logging disk activity at about 21:00 ... but the sleep plugin keeps telling me, that there is disk activity?! (Screenshot #2)

And - what really crashes my brain - even NOW all disks seems to be spun down correctly in the UI. (Screenshot #3)

file_activity.PNGstill_disk_activity.PNG

all_spun_down.PNG

Edited by Maddeen
  • 1 month later...

Is there a way to get this to show up in the Unraid GUI?  I'm assuming it should show up under Tools/Disk Utilities but there is no icon there.

I can get to it through the plugins section or by going directly to http://*.*.*.*./Tools/FileActivity so it's not such a huge issue, just would like it to be there to easily click on when needed.  Thanks for any info.

34 minutes ago, skoosht said:

I'm assuming it should show up under Tools/Disk Utilities but there is no icon there.

There is no Disk Utilities under Tools. Where are you seeing that?

File Activity is under Tools - System Information just as it says in the first post of this thread.

• 1 month later...

@dlandon would it be possible to only log deletes? or have an option to? I have been trying to track down rogue deletes for a long time and this plugin could greatly assist with that. or maybe add a notification upon a file delete?

Edit/update: I found where the log file was kept and I setup a script to run every minute to grep out the delete events and clear everything else, and then re-write the log file with only the delete events. This allows me to use the tool but only keep the deleted log events.  Awesome tool BTW!

Edited by icemansid
On 9/16/2020 at 2:53 PM, icemansid said:

@dlandon would it be possible to only log deletes? or have an option to? I have been trying to track down rogue deletes for a long time and this plugin could greatly assist with that. or maybe add a notification upon a file delete?

Edit/update: I found where the log file was kept and I setup a script to run every minute to grep out the delete events and clear everything else, and then re-write the log file with only the delete events. This allows me to use the tool but only keep the deleted log events.  Awesome tool BTW!

Can you point me towards where this log is stored?