[Plugin] CA Auto Turbo Write Mode

I would think that every plugin including CA is having the same problem.  My initial suggestion would be to rename config/ssl and config/ssh on the flash drive to something else, reboot and see what happens.

Edited by Squid
  • 4 months later...
On 2/27/2019 at 3:48 PM, Niklas said:

Ok, thanks. Will look in to it.
Never seen 0 spun down. Always at least 1.

Oooooh man, I stumbled across your post when I wanted to add my suggestion about using "smartctl" instead of "hdparm". I'm using Seagate Ironwolfs and all drives report "unknown" with hdparm when they are active, so I wasn't able to use this plugin for quite some time since the switch.

Thank you so much for posting your script changes! I changed the script on my server and it now counts all active/standby states correctly. Whoohoo! :-)

@Squid: Would it be possible to switch from "hdparm" to "smartctl" or provide two different versions (in case you see problems with smartctl)? It would be nice to not lose the smartctl-change when you update the plugin. :-)

• Thanks 1

I also had to modify the script a little to work. My other drive states only standby when spun down and unknown when spun up.

I just modified the script to check standby state to calculate spun down disk

if (strpos($result,"standby") ) {
      $totalSpunDown++;
    }

Log after the change (at first both disks running, then spinning them down one at a time):

Dec 16 22:31:40 Dunkin root: #012/dev/sdc:#012 drive state is: active/idle
Dec 16 22:31:40 Dunkin root: #012/dev/sdf:#012 drive state is: unknown
Dec 16 22:31:40 Dunkin root: Total Spundown: 0
Dec 16 22:31:58 Dunkin emhttpd: req (55): cmdSpindown=disk1&startState=STARTED&csrf_token=****************
Dec 16 22:31:58 Dunkin kernel: mdcmd (131): spindown 1
Dec 16 22:32:10 Dunkin root: #012/dev/sdc:#012 drive state is: standby
Dec 16 22:32:10 Dunkin root: #012/dev/sdf:#012 drive state is: unknown
Dec 16 22:32:10 Dunkin root: Total Spundown: 1
Dec 16 22:32:10 Dunkin root: Entering Normal Mode
Dec 16 22:32:10 Dunkin kernel: mdcmd (132): set md_write_method 0
Dec 16 22:32:10 Dunkin kernel:
Dec 16 22:32:13 Dunkin emhttpd: req (56): cmdSpindown=disk2&startState=STARTED&csrf_token=****************
Dec 16 22:32:13 Dunkin kernel: mdcmd (133): spindown 2
Dec 16 22:32:40 Dunkin root: #012/dev/sdc:#012 drive state is: standby
Dec 16 22:32:40 Dunkin root: #012/dev/sdf:#012 drive state is: standby
Dec 16 22:32:40 Dunkin root: Total Spundown: 2

btw hitting 1 gigabit/s (lan max) now with turbo mode, nice!

• Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...

Hello

I have run into a problem when trying to use CA Auto Turbo Write Mode.

My Unraid server consists of a array that contains 15 data disks.

When enabling Automatic Turbo Mode and setting Disks Allowed to be Spun Down before invoking Turbo Mode, there is a max option of 10 disks, in turn if 11 of my disks are spunned down, automatic turbo does not come into action.

I am wondering if my problem would be resolved if the setting could be max of 15 disk (in my case) or more.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sevla

24 minutes ago, Squid said:

Fixed

Hi Squid

Thank you so much for the quick resolution and reply from you, appreciated.

Not complaining but i noticed you increased the max from 10 to 14, it is spot on for my usage scenario, not to sound greedy but i wonder if it could be increase even more, other users might have higher disk counts on their arrays, unless there is either a design/Unraid OS limitation which doesn't allow you to add any more.

Once again thank you for your help.

Sevla

3 minutes ago, Squid said:

It's increased to the maximum number of data drives in your system.  Parity drive(s) are irrelevant in this circumstance.

So in my understanding, if i add more data drives to the array, the amount i can set will increase in the Disks Allowed to be Spun Down before invoking Turbo Mode setting?

• 2 months later...

Hi,

this plugin just got pointed out to me on reddit and of course i instantly installed it, now i'm a bit confused.

see picture:

3spundown.thumb.jpg.4d948d4e3914fd779b5c94713d38ca69.jpg

edit:

some more tesing shows that Disk 1, 2 and 3 get counted individually as you would expect.

Parity, 4, 5 and 6  ... = my four 8TB Seagate Iron Wolves, do not count up or down at all. (i intend to replace the small disks with more of these eventually).

1670233390_3spundowntesting.thumb.jpg.92ded284cda7f1b14abfad1c99153870.jpg

edit 2:

i turned the server off and on again, did not help lol

edit 3:

i did read through the thread just now, seems to be a kind of common problem (some of them reported in 2017, so i don't suppose this will get fixed anytime soon).  

i did enable the log and it keeps saying  

Mar 30 15:19:38 UNRAID root: #012/dev/sdf:#012 drive state is: active/idle
Mar 30 15:19:38 UNRAID root: #012/dev/sdd:#012 drive state is: active/idle
Mar 30 15:19:38 UNRAID root: #012/dev/sde:#012 drive state is: active/idle
Mar 30 15:19:38 UNRAID root: #012/dev/sdc:#012 drive state is: unknown
Mar 30 15:19:38 UNRAID root: #012/dev/sdg:#012 drive state is: unknown
Mar 30 15:19:38 UNRAID root: #012/dev/sdh:#012 drive state is: unknown
Mar 30 15:19:38 UNRAID root: Total Spundown: 3

it does not list the parity disk here... i guess that needs to spin up when writing anyway so no need polling that.  

i'm just wondering, if the unRAID GUI reports properly which disks are spinning (the green icons are always on point as far as i can tell), why not hook in there instead?  

i've read 2 times the comment that the unRAID gui is "not real time" not sure what that means exactly, looks pretty real time to me when i'm looking at it, and what does it matter if the polling interval is by default set to 5 minutes (an eternity if you ask me).  

Soooo, i got these disks connected to my motherboard, ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/GEN3 (90-MIBFIA-G0EAY00Z) ...that thing has 3 SATA controllers on it for its 8 ports, two controllers for SATA 3 (4 ports) and one for SATA 2 (4 ports), i most likely connected the 4 Seagate disks to the SATA 3 ports because they are the biggest fastest, that means the SATA 3 controllers both might not be reporting the HDD status OR the HDDs just don't support that info, which would be weird because those are specifically NAS drives and the newest of the bunch, if anything i'd expect old stuff not to support something like this, the board is over 5 years old, so ... hmmh.  

Welp, i guess i leave the setting at 3 then.  

That should be enough for me to enable Turbo mode when i have a few 100GB to dump on the server by just spinning everything up manually and then spin down manually after to disable it again. ...not the cleanest solution but it will do the job i wanted it to do i hope.  

Edited by ZeroBANG

The plugin uses "hdparm", which - like in my case - doesn't recognize the correct status of running Seagate Ironwolfs (it's "unknown"). Scroll up a bit in this thread and also check page 4 close to the bottom. Niklas posted some changes to use "smartctl" instead which worked fine for me, maybe also for you? The only problem is that the plugin/script is (whysoever) reset soon after, so I again stopped using it - unfortunately.

On 3/30/2020 at 10:44 PM, Torben said:

The plugin uses "hdparm", which - like in my case - doesn't recognize the correct status of running Seagate Ironwolfs (it's "unknown"). Scroll up a bit in this thread and also check page 4 close to the bottom. Niklas posted some changes to use "smartctl" instead which worked fine for me, maybe also for you? The only problem is that the plugin/script is (whysoever) reset soon after, so I again stopped using it - unfortunately.

I finally got around to fiddling with it, after wrapping my windows user head around how to edit a .tgx archive and the .php file inside it editing lines 80 + 84 was the easy part. (for the record, WinRAR is not able to edit .tgx ...i had to install 7z for this.)  

But i can report it works fine now, yaaay, makes me wonder why this isn't the default option for the plugin.  

And i disabled auto updates for this plugin in CA Auto Updates, just so the changes don't get randomly overwritten, however unlikely that seems at this point.  

• 2 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, aukaauka said:

Hi what do i need to do to find this file to edit?

I've been looking for it but it seems I have no idea how to access /usr/local/emhttp/plugins

Any help would be most appreciated :) 

Why do you think you want to edit anything in that folder? 

8 minutes ago, trurl said:

Why do you think you want to edit anything in that folder? 

Ca auto turbo write can't read my drive status, it comes up as "unknown" for all drives in the log.

I was hoping to try the Edit talked about above for changing from "hdparm" to "smart ctl" to see if that fixed it so I could use this plug-in :) 

35 minutes ago, aukaauka said:

I was hoping to try the Edit talked about above for changing from "hdparm" to "smart ctl" to see if that fixed it so I could use this plug-in :) 

that threw me for a loop at first as well.  

on the unRAID USB stick:

\config\plugins\ca.turbo\ca.turbo-2020.01.26-x86_64-1.txz  

is the file you are looking for, .txz is an archive like a zip or rar file (Linux people always need to do everything different, just to confuse windows users 😜 )

open it with 7-Zip (WinRAR won't work!) and inside THERE is the path you quoted.  

you can then open and edit the file with a text editor right there in the archive, no need to extract anything.

• Thanks 1
20 hours ago, ZeroBANG said:

that threw me for a loop at first as well.  

on the unRAID USB stick:

\config\plugins\ca.turbo\ca.turbo-2020.01.26-x86_64-1.txz  

is the file you are looking for, .txz is an archive like a zip or rar file (Linux people always need to do everything different, just to confuse windows users 😜 )

open it with 7-Zip (WinRAR won't work!) and inside THERE is the path you quoted.  

you can then open and edit the file with a text editor right there in the archive, no need to extract anything.

Ah so that's where it is, brilliant thanks I'll have a look at at changing it and let you know how it goes :D 

On 12/17/2019 at 8:42 AM, Sublivion said:

I also had to modify the script a little to work. My other drive states only standby when spun down and unknown when spun up.

I just modified the script to check standby state to calculate spun down disk

if (strpos($result,"standby") ) {
      $totalSpunDown++;
    }

Log after the change (at first both disks running, then spinning them down one at a time):

Dec 16 22:31:40 Dunkin root: #012/dev/sdc:#012 drive state is: active/idle
Dec 16 22:31:40 Dunkin root: #012/dev/sdf:#012 drive state is: unknown
Dec 16 22:31:40 Dunkin root: Total Spundown: 0
Dec 16 22:31:58 Dunkin emhttpd: req (55): cmdSpindown=disk1&startState=STARTED&csrf_token=****************
Dec 16 22:31:58 Dunkin kernel: mdcmd (131): spindown 1
Dec 16 22:32:10 Dunkin root: #012/dev/sdc:#012 drive state is: standby
Dec 16 22:32:10 Dunkin root: #012/dev/sdf:#012 drive state is: unknown
Dec 16 22:32:10 Dunkin root: Total Spundown: 1
Dec 16 22:32:10 Dunkin root: Entering Normal Mode
Dec 16 22:32:10 Dunkin kernel: mdcmd (132): set md_write_method 0
Dec 16 22:32:10 Dunkin kernel:
Dec 16 22:32:13 Dunkin emhttpd: req (56): cmdSpindown=disk2&startState=STARTED&csrf_token=****************
Dec 16 22:32:13 Dunkin kernel: mdcmd (133): spindown 2
Dec 16 22:32:40 Dunkin root: #012/dev/sdc:#012 drive state is: standby
Dec 16 22:32:40 Dunkin root: #012/dev/sdf:#012 drive state is: standby
Dec 16 22:32:40 Dunkin root: Total Spundown: 2

btw hitting 1 gigabit/s (lan max) now with turbo mode, nice!

How did you mod the script? Im having the same issue as others with drives not spinning down

Ok so I finally got around to trying the "smart ctl" mod to the script but unfortunately it didn't work for me.

But then I tried the mod @Sublivion made higher up on this page and that worked perfectly. :) 

Since when my drives are spun up they read as "unknown" and spun down there read as "standby"

So now the Script only considers drives spun down when they read "standby" which is fantastic.

Thank you everyone for all the useful information, I definitely recommend anyone struggling with this issue to try both mods and hopefully one works for you :D