AirVideo Server for iPhone/iPad- a "how-to"

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really interested in this... one of the main things I want for my unRaid when I get it built, so I can stream to my iPad...

For those of you that have it working smooth from the unraid to the iPad (just standard 700-1400MB scene rips, no need to transcode blurays in real time :P), how fast of CPU/Ram do you have?

INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS...

The only problem with that might be that the ffmpeg version used to run airvideo is "special"  there is some extra stuff add in for the conversion related stuff.

To everyone wondering about an update to some of the issues here.  I am working on them and will hopefully have some of the stuff figured out later tonight.

definitely failed to build ffmpeg....

no rush!

Thanks, Tony

If you could try building ffmpeg from the command line and get the output that would be great!!

It failed to build for me as well, but didn't really bother to look why and built ffmpeg manually. The good thing is that it is only required once :)

Ow, and thanks again for this great package! I'm a quarter way through of Dragonball Z on my iPad :P

I tried mine on the first try with the alpha 3, I was amazed because he said it could take a while to compile ffmpeg, but mine was done instralling the package in less then a minute.....  Works great..

The only reason I mention that is that is depends very much on your hardware.  I was testing this package on an old P4 so it was not the most up to date computer.

The build through unmenu also failed for me as did the sed commands mentioned earlier.

I am looking into both issues and have an idea on how to fix the sed command one, the failure to build will be a little more involved I think.  I will look into it and hopefully have something ready come this weekend.

The build through unmenu also failed for me as did the sed commands mentioned earlier.

I am looking into both issues and have an idea on how to fix the sed command one, the failure to build will be a little more involved I think.  I will look into it and hopefully have something ready come this weekend.

Thanks, that would be great!

Still haven't been able to test this, we're in the middle of moving to a new house, but I'm almost sure this is causing the problem. Have you been able to "fix" the package?

Yes, I think i have it fixed and working on my test server.  I will upload the package later tonight when i get home and also have JoeL include it in the unmenu update.

I have run it a couple of times on my test server and it seems to install just fine when the install button is hit.  It takes a while on my machine to build ffmpeg but other than that it seems to work.

The command I use to start airvideo may execute before the build is complete (not sure).  So, i am going to to include a couple of buttons to start and stop the airvideo process... just have to get that code added into the unmenu package .conf file.

OK, ask and you shall receive (never said anything about it being fast).  Anyway, here is the code for the update unmenu package manager plugin.  I update to alpha 3 of airvideo server and included a few tweaks also.  There are not buttons created so the airvideo startup and stop can be controlled from the user scripts page.  Also, when the start button is hit or the package is first installed it could take a little while for airvideo to start.  I am doing a delayed start of the application so that everything can settle down before it tries to do anything.

REMOVED FOR NOW

EDIT: Sorry guys, i noticed a few things i forgot to include last night before i put the code up.  I will try fixing them later tonight and then upload a new version.

Still haven't been able to test this, we're in the middle of moving to a new house, but I'm almost sure this is causing the problem. Have you been able to "fix" the package?

Yes, I think i have it fixed and working on my test server.  I will upload the package later tonight when i get home and also have JoeL include it in the unmenu update.

How much RAM do you have on your server?  did you define a swap-file?

Last time I tried compiling ffmpeg with my 512 Meg, it ran out of RAM and almost crashed the server. (It was hard to regain control, as it kept killing emhttp, samba, my login shell, etc)

Joe L.

How much RAM do you have on your server?  did you define a swap-file?

Last time I tried compiling ffmpeg with my 512 Meg, it ran out of RAM and almost crashed the server. (It was hard to regain control, as it kept killing emhttp, samba, my login shell, etc)

Joe L.

I think i have 1.25 GB in my test server.

I did not specify a swap file, though I probably should. I found a couple other things that need to be changed with the package also so i am going to remove the one above and hopefully have something up later tonight with a few fixes.

To be honest I am not quite sure how to set up the swap space so that it is used.  When i first started on this package I only had 512MB of ram also and it did crash my server.  After that happened i tried a swap space and it did not get used, so i just found some more ram to put into the machine.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

First post to these forums, and I wanted to start out by saying thanks everyone for their contributions here.  It's very much appreciated by this long-time mac user with very limited linux knowledge and who, on top of all that, is jumping into all this with his very first custom-build pc!

I first tried the unMenu module that prostuff1 so graciously created.  Unfortunately, I ran into the issue of the special build of ffmpeg failing to compile.  After much trial and error, and some frantic googling, I tracked down my install issues to the following missing libraries (for not providing urls, I apologize - sorting through these issues was done over the course of a couple days, and unfortunately I was not thorough in my documentation.  Also, I do not know if this is a complete list.  It's quite possible that adding libraries for my PS3 Media Server install may have caught added additional files not documented here):

glibc-solibs-2.11.1-i486-3.txz
libtheora-1.1.1-i486-1.txz
libusb-1.0.6-i486-1.txz
libXdmcp-1.0.3-i486-1.txz
libXext-1.1-i486-1.txz
libXfixes-4.0.4-i486-1.txz
libXi-1.3-i486-1.txz
libXtst-1.1.0-i486-1.txz
openssl-solibs-0.9.8n-i486-1.txz

Adding these libraries after installing the packages mentioned in prostuff's unmenu AirVideoServerLinux.jar.auto_install file allowed me to finally compile ffmpeg.  However, I was still running into some issues and in the end, went with a hybrid approach that blended in some custom elements.

I ended up making the following changes

• used AirVideoLinuxServer.jar version Alpha 3
  • modified air-video-server.sh to pass a parameter to run "headless" (don't know if this was necessary - otherwise i was running into X11 errors when running via terminal)
  • modified test.properties since I too had spaces in my folders paths

However, I am now at a point where I'm trying to autorun the AirVideo Server on startup, and I'm unable to figure this part out.  It appears to stop somewhere in the AirVideo portion as my PS3 Media Server starts up, but not Avahi.  I run the commands manually via the terminal, including the bash air-video-server.sh command and things work.  But of course closing the terminal window stops the process.

I have attached my go, .sh & .properties files (all renamed as *.txt) to this post.  Any help would be very much appreciated  :)

thanks!

go.txt

air-video-server.txt

test.txt

Awesome. I've been waiting for this :).

Will it be part of the unMenu packages where I can just click to install or did you mean you'd be uploading files and I'll still need to follow the directions, etc?

It is an unmenu package.  Just drop it into the folder, refresh the unmenu page and have fun.

I want to add some more checks into the system so that a compile cannot be done if you are running on anything less than 1GB of RAM.  I also thought of setting up a swap space but that gets tricky.

Awesome. I've been waiting for this :).

Will it be part of the unMenu packages where I can just click to install or did you mean you'd be uploading files and I'll still need to follow the directions, etc?

It is an unmenu package.  Just drop it into the folder, refresh the unmenu page and have fun.

I want to add some more checks into the system so that a compile cannot be done if you are running on anything less than 1GB of RAM.  I also thought of setting up a swap space but that gets tricky.

Coolnesss. Looking forward to new one. I tried your older unMenu version and it says it's installed and enabled on reboot but I can't seem to find it as a server so I'm not if it is because it failed the install or something else so I'll just wait on your next version.

ETA: Can you also list any specific packages that need to be installed first? Your previous one mentioned JRE which is the only one I installed but I'm thinking I'm missing a dependency or two.