Prospective Feature List

Is there one of these for the initial 5.0 release? I see a clear focus on certain goals (plugins, webgui, etc) and an obvious need for filling in the features that are not yet in that exist in previous versions, but not a whole lot of "these are the things that will hopefully make it into release."

If I missed it, feel free to point me on my way :)

Some features that I like to be included in 5.0 are functions from below excellent scripts, so these can be enabled or disabled from the GUI and all parameters are set from the GUI, so users do not have to edit the scripts when make changes.

- Sleep mode (s3_notHrHdTcpIp)

- Spinup_when_accessed (Joe L. excellent script)

- cache_dirs (Joe L. excellent script)

Best Regards

Peter

On user shares an new policy 'distribute'.

Just choose the disk with the least used space.

Isn't this the same as 'Most-free'?

The answer is it depends on the size of your drives. If your setup has a 2TB and 1TB data drives, then "most free" will always use the 2TB drive until it's over 50% filled. The proposed "least-used" would round-robin them.

On user shares an new policy 'distribute'.

Just choose the disk with the least used space.

Isn't this the same as 'Most-free'?

The answer is it depends on the size of your drives. If your setup has a 2TB and 1TB data drives, then "most free" will always use the 2TB drive until it's over 50% filled. The proposed "least-used" would round-robin them.

So least-used is "least percentage used/most percentage free" of a given disk.

I noticed that when initially loading via rsync my second server. I have 2 TB data drives, and 3 1.5TB drives.  It filled 1/2 the capacity disk1, then switched to disk2, then when it got to disk3 the percentage of the disk filled looked as if it was being calculated from the total size of the largest disk, and it filled it a lot less than I expected, then it did the same with disk 4.  As if it was trying to keep the same amount free in the disks rather than the same amount used.

I called it 'distribute' because I wanted the files to be distributed over all available drives.

In case of data loss (drive failed, and for some strange reason not recoverable, so I'll use just that drive) I would rather have that it's 10% of my photo collection when using 10 disks. With the current schemes if I have 40Gb photo's they'll probably end up on the same drive.

I'm also considering a distribute client tool to perform this using the disk shares. (I'm a previous WHS user, where I had tools to "balance" my storage).

What I'm actually missing (apart from the fact unraid is filling in most of the features I liked about WHS) is the folder mirroring on WHS. You could specify a folder to have duplication. Every file placed inside this folder was actually saved on the storage pool twice, on different disks. I know I can mimic this behaviour using cron/rsync and use the unRAID behaviour of not showing duplicate files in user shares.

I, of course, would still love to see a second parity volume :P

Though I'm more curious what the current "official" list is, ie: what is already planned for 5.0 from past requests.

5.0 has two main items.  Nothing more.

1. The replacement of the user-interface with one that is plug-in capable. It is a complete re-write, written in "php"

2. A re-write of the security model to be able to handle AFP and NFS more correctly.

Changes to the core "raid" functionality are not expected in 5.0. 

Something like the Reed-Salomon Drive (What you are referring to as a second parity drive) were only mentioned once as a possible future enhancement, as were having multiple "arrays" in a single server, each with their own single parity drive.  Tom has never mentioned them again.  I really don't expect to see them any time in the early 5.X series at all, there's just too much on Tom's plate with the new user-interface and security model.

Joe L.

Please add the makepkg shell from pkgtools into the standard unraid Distro.

I've made a few slackbuild scripts for others to use as examples.

It would help people create slackware installable packages when developing on their unraid systems.

I think it may help in the future. I would just say go out and download/install the pkgtools package, but everything else is there already, so having this readily available helps. It's under 10k.

You can do a truecrypt container and remote mount it from another system w/o truecrypt on unRAID.

If you install truecrypt on unRAID, you can't encrypt the entire disk or user share.  You would have to mount a truecrypt container, and then export it some way.

To do what I think most people want, which is have the actual disk shares protected truecrypt by using truecrypt partitions, that will have to be integrated into the unRAID stock.

Encryption would be in my wish list. Although I would like something simpler using a physical key that i can remove after boot. I only want to protect against server theft and data recovery by dumb criminal. Any encryption more than none servers that purpose.

Next would be more fs support. No matter what i plugin via usb i would like to be able to read/write do. This would be for moving data on and off of unRAID only.

Thirdly would be auto mount and share via the network physical CD, ISO and USB HDD. This would preferably be by two paths. One being a simple usb0, usb1, iso0, iso1 but the second being some id unique to the medium. i.e. GUID if a HDD

It would help people create slackware installable packages when developing on their unraid systems.

This sounds like a really good an genericly usable idea. Got my vote  :)

This sounds like a really good an genericly usable idea. Got my vote  :)

Tom sent me a note saying he would (Everything else is there).

With the slackbuild +webGui scripts I've been working on it should be pretty easy for people to make the slackware installable package.

With Bubba's new simple package manager, it's easy to download and install them too.

It's coming together quite nicely and rapidly too! Kudos to everyone involved.

Will email notification be there?

- On unplanned reset/power outage

- On disk failure

- On read/partity check error

- On SMART warning

I also second the request for (samba) recycle bin support...

And directory caching to avoid disk spin up/down on directory listing..

(Yes, I'm aware that the functionalities above are available in separate addons/scripts... I'm just hoping they're build into unRAID :)

You can do a truecrypt container and remote mount it from another system w/o truecrypt on unRAID.

I already do that for stuff that really needs encryption, but I'd really love to just have everything encrypted and for it to seamlessly happen on the unRAID box so that I don't have to deal with mounting containers on my HTPC, etc.

To do what I think most people want, which is have the actual disk shares protected truecrypt by using truecrypt partitions, that will have to be integrated into the unRAID stock.

Precisely.  (Doesn't have to be truecrypt though, just something strong enough to frustrate smash and grab kids or nosy techs at a HDD manufacturer looking at what's on RMAed drives).

but I'd really love to just have everything encrypted and for it to seamlessly happen on the unRAID box so that I don't have to deal with mounting containers on my HTPC, etc.

If it is happens seamlessly, then if your system is stolen, it will also happen seemlessly for the crook... so it doesn't do much good.

What I would like is for emhttp to startup so you can get to the web interface and enter a passphrase/keyfile, and then mounting can proceed.

Will email notification be there?

- On unplanned reset/power outage

- On disk failure

- On read/partity check error

- On SMART warning

I also second the request for (samba) recycle bin support...

And directory caching to avoid disk spin up/down on directory listing..

(Yes, I'm aware that the functionalities above are available in separate addons/scripts... I'm just hoping they're build into unRAID :)

+ S3 suspend , should also be built into unRAID  :D

+ S3 suspend , should also be built into unRAID  Cheesy

It already is.

It is? Where's the web interface button or what is the shell command to enter S3 sleep?

And why doesn't S3 sleep work on my box (it did when it was a Windows machine)  ;D

It is? Where's the web interface button or what is the shell command to enter S3 sleep?

Written about ad infinitum in the forum

And why doesn't S3 sleep work on my box (it did when it was a Windows machine)  Grin

If you don't know the command to invoke it, how do you know it doesn't work?

I just checked by bench machine running unRAID5.0-beta1

Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.

Product Name: G31M-ES2L

echo -n "suspend" > /sys/power/state

suspends and wakes up fine with a WOL packet, with no additional parameters.

Archived