Slow transfer speeds

rctneil

Hey,

I've just purchased and installed two 4Tb Seagate drives for my new Unraid server. One is for the parity drive and other for data.  This is the only data drive in the machine right now. I do have an OCZ SSD set up as the cache drive.

I've been using Black Magic Disk Speed Check and when I select a share on Unraid as the Target drive, I get the following results:

Write: 3.4MB/s max

Read: 2.1MB/s max

I have Unraid connected to a BT Home Hub 5.

Any ideas to how I can get the transfer speeds increased?

Thanks,

Neil

Hey,

I'm not quite sure what you mean by BT Active.  The disks were not busy as it's a brand new setup. 

I'm not sure what other info to provide. If you could give me some ideas then I'll do everything I can to post it.

I appreciate your advice 

Kind regards, 

Neil

I'll make that change in the BIOS shortly.   I did the majority of the testing this morning. Since then it's been switched off.  When I came back with a Cat 6 cable, I did a couple of tests.

So, there won't be a huge amount of transfers showing in the logs.

Let me make the change, do a couple of tests and post a fresh set of diagnostics.

Appreciate the help though!

Thanks,

Neil

30 minutes ago, Squid said:

Your onboard sata controller is set to IDE mode, not AHCI (change in the BIOS).  This will account for at least some of your speed problems.

Secondly, the syslog is doesn't cover a whole lot of time.  Is your transfers included in this time period?

Hey,

Here's an updated diagnostics file. I've changed to AHCI mode and tried the same transfer.  The Black Magic tests are coming out about 20MB/s read and write.

Should it all be faster or is this what you'd expect?

dalek-diagnostics-20180128-1846.zip

100 mb/sec read, 40mb/sec write if you have parity enabled. (As measured by windows explorer transfer speed measure while copying very large files)

This assume you have solid gbit wired connection from testing desktop all the way to unRaid. WiFi is much more uncertain.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, Squid said:

IDK.  Nothing particularly jumps out at me.  What are the speeds if you actually transfer a file and forget about Black Magic?  (IE: is its measurement accurate)

If live to test that but MacOS doesn't show file transfer speeds like Windows does. 

Any thoughts on how I can check this? 

Thanks

Did u enable the cache drive for the share you are testing on? Or is the share writing directly towards the drive array bypassing the Cache?

There is a share that has not got cache enabled in the configuration. The OZC SSD should be able to max out your gigabit Ethernet connection.

100/115MB is about the max u will get out of a gigabit connection. Where your OZC SSD should be able to handle 250MB on SATA2.

Are u using SMB (CIFS) to access the share? Then it could be a MAC issue with client signing. I had that as well when i was using MAC.

Checked the apple forums and its confirmed still a issue with High Siera: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8086042

Your config has AFP enabled, but i would check that as well.

30 minutes ago, rctneil said:

If live to test that but MacOS doesn't show file transfer speeds like Windows does. 

Any thoughts on how I can check this? 

Thanks

rsync -a --progress --stats --human-readable, is a good way to copy a file and measure transfer speed. (reliable solution)

You could also install a bandwith monitor for example bitmeter to see tranferspeed on the MAC network interface.

But then u would have to use something else to copy the large file and measure and monitor it in bitmeter.

So, Thanks for the replies,

The shares are set to use the Cache drive,

I have disabled SMB signing on my MacBook but it doesn't look to have improved the speeds. I have a 1Gb test file which when I transfer takes about 5 minutes. The Network tab in Activity Monitor shows approx 3.75 MB under Data sent/sec

I'm not 100% sure what I am expecting but it really doesn't feel fast enough to me.

Thanks,

Neil

1 minute ago, Benson said:

Mis understand "BT" means bittorrent.

May I ask the other end connect to "BT Home Hub 5" by WiFi or Wire ?

Ah, sorry, yes, BT = British Telecom in this case.

So connection wise, currently I have:

MacBook --> Wi-Fi 5Ghz --> BT Home Hub --> Cat 6 --> Unraid

I realise that WiFi is not the best in this circumstance but I would expect speeds to be slightly better using it than they are.  Eventually everything will be cat 6 connected but for now Wi-Fi will have to do.

But most case should be WiFi issue, due to I don't know how best or worst of your WiFi Network, so I can't comment.

My WiFi Network was 2.4G N only, it can provide throughput ~6MB/s steady when other WiFi device was idle.

Usually CAT6 won't help for 1Gbps network, my network cable just some 10years age CAT5.

Edited by Benson
6 minutes ago, Benson said:

But most case should be WiFi issue, due to I don't know how best or worst of your WiFi Network, so I can't comment.

My WiFi Network was 2.4G N only, it can provide throughput ~6MB/s steady when other WiFi device was idle.

Whilst testing here everything is idle and I am connected on the 5Ghz network.

2 hours ago, rctneil said:

MacBook --> Wi-Fi 5Ghz --> BT Home Hub --> Cat 6 --> Unraid

For testing purposes, it might be wise to connect the MacBook via wire, just to eliminate a variable (wifi issues). If speeds don't improve, then we know to look somewhere else.

Re: cable: Though runs of cat5 can work fine at gigabit speeds, cat5e or cat6 is recommended.

On 30/01/2018 at 8:13 PM, DoeBoye said:

For testing purposes, it might be wise to connect the MacBook via wire, just to eliminate a variable (wifi issues). If speeds don't improve, then we know to look somewhere else.

Re: cable: Though runs of cat5 can work fine at gigabit speeds, cat5e or cat6 is recommended.

Hey, Just so you know, i'm not ignoring you, I have just ordered a USB-C to Ethernet adaptor and hope to test over the next few days and will get back to you (most likely Saturday).

Appreciate your help!

Neil

13 minutes ago, rctneil said:

Hey, Just so you know, i'm not ignoring you, I have just ordered a USB-C to Ethernet adaptor and hope to test over the next few days and will get back to you (most likely Saturday).

Appreciate your help!

No worries! In all honesty, it never occurred to me that your laptop wouldn't have an Ethernet port! I didn't mean to cost you $ :). Hopefully it wasn't too much! Definitely a valuable test to do, though!

On 31/01/2018 at 10:23 PM, DoeBoye said:

No worries! In all honesty, it never occurred to me that your laptop wouldn't have an Ethernet port! I didn't mean to cost you $ :). Hopefully it wasn't too much! Definitely a valuable test to do, though!

Hey,

Right, finally found a spare 10 minutes to test this.  Over Ethernet, the speed is between 90 - 120 MB/s which is fantastic. So Wi-Fi was the issue.

What I am confused about is, why is the connection over Wi-Fi so slow when transferring stuff internally compared to just accessing the net where things are super fast even over Wi-Fi?

Thankyou,

Neil

What is your setup as far as wiring goes? Are you currently mac <wifi> router > server?  If you're connecting from your mac to the router via cable then we'll have to assume that the router is gigabit. Or when over cable are you ignoring the router and going something like mac > switch > server?

Edited by nomisco