[Support] spikhalskiy - ZeroTier

So this is super weird.  I recently switched ISPs at home, and now have cellular internet through T-Mobile.  I previously had DSL.
My new service is WAY faster (both down and up) than the DSL.  However, when I connect via ZT to my office, things are super slow.

I mean, even basic Windows explorer directory browsing takes much longer than it used to, and transferring files is almost not worth doing. A common workflow would be to copy a batch of photos from my work server to my local machine.  Let's say it's 20 files, totaling around 120MB.  On my old (terrible) connection, this transfer would take maybe 2-3 minutes.  On my new, much faster, setup, it takes maybe 20 minutes.  Transfers stutter and pause, and when they do work, the speeds are in the low KB/s.

Nothing has changed on either end of the config, except for me switching to the new ISP.
Any ideas what may be choking ZT?

• 3 weeks later...

Just a tip for anyone who is having issues accessing their dashboard but are able to access docker containers via zerotier.

I ended up enabling SSL/TSL in the management option in settings set to "Yes" not strict, which now lets me access my dashboard via zerotier.

Going to deprecate this from Apps.  No updates have been done to the image in over a year, the maintainer hasn't been in the forum in over a year, and ZeroTier themselves maintain their own up to date docker image for ZeroTier-One

5 hours ago, Squid said:

Going to deprecate this from Apps.  No updates have been done to the image in over a year, the maintainer hasn't been in the forum in over a year, and ZeroTier themselves maintain their own up to date docker image for ZeroTier-One

That's a bummer.  Many (like myself) have no idea how to spin up dockers that don't have ready-made templates for unraid, so apps like these are super useful.  Not having them updated is for sure not optimal.  What's the implication of it being deprecated?  Will it still work, just not be promoted on the community app store?

30 minutes ago, Squid said:

Reports that it doesn't work.

The app works just fine.  There are occasional issues with the way unraid handles extra interfaces, but we've found workarounds.  I would literally be out of business if not for this container.  It's been a lifesaver for accessing my work server from home.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Elmojo said:

That's a bummer.  Many (like myself) have no idea how to spin up dockers that don't have ready-made templates for unraid, so apps like these are super useful.  Not having them updated is for sure not optimal.  What's the implication of it being deprecated?  Will it still work, just not be promoted on the community app store?

I simply changed the source in the existing container to the original ZeroTier container from Docker Hub. I left everything else as it was. Seems to work for me without any problems.

8 hours ago, Exord said:

I simply changed the source in the existing container to the original ZeroTier container from Docker Hub. I left everything else as it was. Seems to work for me without any problems.

Yes, this is the easiest way of fixing it. Just edit and change the name of the guy, spikhalskiy, to just zerotier so it says zerotier/zerotier. It will pull 1.14 version and it will work just as always.

Easy fix for a complicated solution to those with not much knowledge about docker, like myself... Also it will help @Elmojo

• Like 1

Full instructions to edit your existing container to use ZeroTier's docker image.

Edit container, enable advanced, change the following to match. Changing the icon URL is optional.

Repository: zerotier/zerotier
Registry URL: https://hub.docker.com/r/zerotier/zerotier
Icon URL: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/zerotier/ZeroTierOne/dev/artwork/ZeroTierIcon.png

Edited by TadMSTR
fixed icon URL
  • Like 2
10 minutes ago, TadMSTR said:

Full instructions to edit your existing container to use ZeroTier's docker image.

Edit container, enable advanced, change the following to match. Changing the icon URL is optional.

Repository: zerotier/zerotier
Registry URL: https://hub.docker.com/r/zerotier/zerotier
Icon URL: https://github.com/zerotier/ZeroTierOne/blob/dev/artwork/ZeroTierIcon.png

Very cool, thanks.

Oddly, the icon is not updating.  I just get a [?] using the new URL. 

All else seems okay.

On 8/29/2024 at 1:05 AM, widowshyper said:

Just a tip for anyone who is having issues accessing their dashboard but are able to access docker containers via zerotier.

I ended up enabling SSL/TSL in the management option in settings set to "Yes" not strict, which now lets me access my dashboard via zerotier.

There's a script for this. Been working great for me.

• Like 1

I will update the image to the latest zerotier release. Stuff had been working for me personally, so I didn't have a need to touch it. But if there is demand, it can be done.

Just FYI, an official version in Ubuntu store for Zerotier is 1.10.2, most linux machines don't really need the latest versions and will not benefit much from them.

@Squid please consider reactivating the template, as I'm still actively using it personally in my environment (and prefer it over any other available solutions to the remote access problem) and I'm around.

Edited by Dmitry Spikhalskiy
  • Like 2

Also, an advanced trick that may work for users who can't make Unraid UI to respond on zerotier interface, but need to access the UI.

You can use ssh port-forwarding by running the following in the terminal: 

ssh -L 8080:localhost:80 root@<put ip address of you server in Unraid Virtual Network here>

So for me, it's `ssh -L 8080:localhost:80 [email protected]`.

It will ask for your root password.

This will make UI of your remote Unraid server accessible on "localhost:8080" address in your local browser.

For this to work, Unraid ssh server needs to listen on port 22 on Zerotier Virtual Network. It does it on Unraid 6.12.11, even if UI is not listening on port 80.

Edited by Dmitry Spikhalskiy
11 minutes ago, Dmitry Spikhalskiy said:

Also, an advanced trick for users who can't make Unraid UI to respond on zerotier interface, but need to access the UI.

You can use ssh port-forwarding by running the following in the terminal: 

ssh -L 8080:localhost:80 root@<put ip address of you server in Unraid Virtual Network here>

So for me, it's `ssh -L 8080:localhost:80 [email protected]`.

It will ask for your root password.

This will make UI of your remote Unraid server accessible on "localhost:8080" address in your local browser.

For this to work, Unraid ssh server needs to listen on port 22 on Zerotier Network. It does do it on 6.12.11, even if UI is not listening on port 80.

The script from SpaceInvaderOne I linked works too. The initial fix was to add the ZT network ID to Include listening interfaces under Settings > Network > Interface Extras. The script just gets it working after reboots.