[Support] binhex - qBittorrentVPN

Hi all,

I've been running Unraid for a year now with no issues. Currently on 6.11.5. Yesterday I decided to give binhex-qbittorrentvpn a try so I dowloaded the docker and attempted to configure it. I'm pretty noobish and can't even get the docker to run once it is installed. So here's my first problem.

Clicking start on the docker, I can hear something loading and the cursor shows spinning wheel, but then it just stays stopped. Looking at my syslog, all I see is this:

Feb  7 12:34:02 OKTONAS kernel: docker0: port 2(veth972c9b2) entered blocking state
Feb  7 12:34:02 OKTONAS kernel: docker0: port 2(veth972c9b2) entered disabled state
Feb  7 12:34:02 OKTONAS kernel: device veth972c9b2 entered promiscuous mode
Feb  7 12:34:05 OKTONAS kernel: eth0: renamed from vethfc70d21
Feb  7 12:34:05 OKTONAS kernel: IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): veth972c9b2: link becomes ready
Feb  7 12:34:05 OKTONAS kernel: docker0: port 2(veth972c9b2) entered blocking state
Feb  7 12:34:05 OKTONAS kernel: docker0: port 2(veth972c9b2) entered forwarding state
Feb  7 12:34:06 OKTONAS kernel: docker0: port 2(veth972c9b2) entered disabled state
Feb  7 12:34:06 OKTONAS kernel: vethfc70d21: renamed from eth0
Feb  7 12:34:07 OKTONAS kernel: docker0: port 2(veth972c9b2) entered disabled state
Feb  7 12:34:07 OKTONAS kernel: device veth972c9b2 left promiscuous mode
Feb  7 12:34:07 OKTONAS kernel: docker0: port 2(veth972c9b2) entered disabled state

I obviously have no clue what's missing, I would expect to at least be able to start the docker. Thanks in advance for your suggestions. 

4 hours ago, wgstarks said:

Copy/paste your docker run command into your next post. Be sure to redact any users and passwords.

This is the command:

docker run
  -d
  --name='binhex-qbittorrentvpn'
  --net='bridge'
  --privileged=true
  -e TZ="America/Los_Angeles"
  -e HOST_OS="Unraid"
  -e HOST_HOSTNAME="OKTONAS"
  -e HOST_CONTAINERNAME="binhex-qbittorrentvpn"
  -e 'VPN_ENABLED'='yes'
  -e 'VPN_USER'='redacted'
  -e 'VPN_PASS'='redacted'
  -e 'VPN_PROV'='custom'
  -e 'VPN_CLIENT'='openvpn'
  -e 'VPN_OPTIONS'=''
  -e 'STRICT_PORT_FORWARD'='yes'
  -e 'ENABLE_PRIVOXY'='no'
  -e 'WEBUI_PORT'='8080'
  -e 'LAN_NETWORK'='192.168.1.0/24'
  -e 'NAME_SERVERS'='84.200.69.80,37.235.1.174,1.1.1.1,37.235.1.177,84.200.70.40,1.0.0.1'
  -e 'VPN_INPUT_PORTS'=''
  -e 'VPN_OUTPUT_PORTS'=''
  -e 'DEBUG'='false'
  -e 'UMASK'='000'
  -e 'PUID'='99'
  -e 'PGID'='100'
  -l net.unraid.docker.managed=dockerman
  -l net.unraid.docker.webui='http://[IP]:[PORT:8080]/'
  -l net.unraid.docker.icon='https://raw.githubusercontent.com/binhex/docker-templates/master/binhex/images/qbittorrent-icon.png'
  -p '6881:6881/tcp'
  -p '6881:6881/udp'
  -p '8080:8080/tcp'
  -p '8118:8118/tcp'
  -v '/mnt/user/Torrent_Downloads':'/data':'rw'
  -v '/mnt/user/appdata/binhex-qbittorrentvpn':'/config':'rw'
  --sysctl="net.ipv4.conf.all.src_valid_mark=1" 'binhex/arch-qbittorrentvpn'

bd1ae2466cddb55b263864532b6e083104430838898c184f1c4fdf7aac30003a

-----------------------------------------------------------

I have no other dockers running at the moment. 

54 minutes ago, wgstarks said:

What is this?

It may be a valid setting but I don’t see any —sysctl in my docker run.

I wouldn't know for sure. My uneducated guess is from reading the description of the docker. It "uses IP tables to prevent IP leakage when the tunnel is down". Could this be it, or some sort of kill bit? I do NOT have the VPN config properly set up, since I expected this would be a secondary step. Maybe the docker shuts down once it fails to establish a VPN tunnel? Total conjecture here.

EDIT: So I just disabled the VPN component by setting the flag to "NO". I can now run the docker just fine.  It seems my guess was correct. Or at least the issue has to do with VPN configuration. Thank you for alerting me to this. 

My next steps are to

1- switch the web GUI to another port to avoid conflicts, though at the moment I'm not running any other dockers. I'm guessing this can all be accomplished in the docker settings

2- I dowloaded a vpn config file from my provider, and need to properly set up tunneling. Pretty sure I'm going to struggle with this one, so any pointers are welcome! Do you use an OpenVPN compatible service?

Edited by Freedomfries
19 minutes ago, Freedomfries said:

1- switch the web GUI to another port to avoid conflicts, though at the moment I'm not running any other dockers. I'm guessing this can all be accomplished in the docker settings

https://github.com/binhex/documentation/blob/master/docker/faq/qbittorrentvpn.md

Scroll down to Q4.

19 minutes ago, Freedomfries said:

2- I dowloaded a vpn config file from my provider, and need to properly set up tunneling. Pretty sure I'm going to struggle with this one, so any pointers are welcome! Do you use an OpenVPN compatible service?

Place the ovpn file in the openvpn folder in appdata and then give another try with vpn enabled. Will probably work but if it doesn’t paste the contents of supervisord.log. Redact users/passwords.

• Like 1
On 2/7/2023 at 6:54 PM, wgstarks said:

https://github.com/binhex/documentation/blob/master/docker/faq/qbittorrentvpn.md

Scroll down to Q4.

Place the ovpn file in the openvpn folder in appdata and then give another try with vpn enabled. Will probably work but if it doesn’t paste the contents of supervisord.log. Redact users/passwords.

I followed your directions and added the VPN config file to the directory, and re-enabled the VPN mode, and I can start the docker. I can access the WEB UI, and I even was able to add a torrent download as a test. It's been on active for a while, but there's no bandwidth usage up or down. I have no indication that a connection to seeders is being made. It's a Ubuntu distro, so I would expect it to start downloading right away. To troubleshoot, I disabled the VPN component, and it still fails to download, so I don't think it's VPN related. Also, how can I test that I have a proper VPN tunnel established?

Had time to do more poking around tonight. I was able to get Deluge with my openVPN settings to work, download a torrent and was able to verify that my IP is tunneled through the VPN. This removes some potential external culprits. Still unable to get Qbitorrent to download. I tried multiple openVPN config files, I deleted the docker and reinstalled it, no dice. Torrents just sit at 0 kb/sec bandwidth with the "errored" status. I added a tracker torrent to test with an external website that the client is connected, and it is, with the VPN's IP. So my client is visible from the torrent network. I can see peers and seeds on the torrents added. I just can't figure out my torrents cannot pick up download speed.... There are no suspicious messages in supervisord...  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Freedomfries
3 hours ago, Freedomfries said:

Had time to do more poking around tonight. I was able to get Deluge with my openVPN settings to work, download a torrent and was able to verify that my IP is tunneled through the VPN. This removes some potential external culprits. Still unable to get Qbitorrent to download. I tried multiple openVPN config files, I deleted the docker and reinstalled it, no dice. Torrents just sit at 0 kb/sec bandwidth with the "errored" status. I added a tracker torrent to test with an external website that the client is connected, and it is, with the VPN's IP. So my client is visible from the torrent network. I can see peers and seeds on the torrents added. I just can't figure out my torrents cannot pick up download speed.... There are no suspicious messages in supervisord...  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

have you configured qbittorrent to save incomplete/completed to the volume mount, by default its '/data' for example from my installation:-

image.png.16301d6a914aad10c30e87bb109e4409.png

note the paths above are specific to me, so dont just copy them exactly, but you can see the Default Save Path is saving to /data, i suspect you havent configured this and thus it cannot write to disk.

Just switched back to qBittorrent and never seen before issue.

Reboot the docker and torrents start at 0% every time.

They increase from there at the download rate.

Say it gets to 5% and then reboot docker and its 0% again, then 0.1 etc.

Pause the download, force a recheck and it increases to the correct downloaded amount and then resumes from there.

Reboot again and its 0% again, makes the docker not usable.

Is this a bug, version 4.5.0

7 hours ago, binhex said:

have you configured qbittorrent to save incomplete/completed to the volume mount, by default its '/data' for example from my installation:-

image.png.16301d6a914aad10c30e87bb109e4409.png

note the paths above are specific to me, so dont just copy them exactly, but you can see the Default Save Path is saving to /data, i suspect you havent configured this and thus it cannot write to disk.

I suspected that as well. I did configure the output directories the same as I did when I tested Deluge. I think the issue might be something else. Maybe I'm experiencing the same problem as ados.

I suspected that as well. I did configure the output directories the same as I did when I tested Deluge. I think the issue might be something else. Maybe I'm experiencing the same problem as ados.
I'm running this container myself, no issues downloading or uploading for me, so the issue must be misconfiguration in your case. What is the qbittorent default save path set to? Also paste your docker run command here

Sent from my 22021211RG using Tapatalk

• Like 1
4 hours ago, binhex said:

Docker run cmd:

docker run
  -d
  --name='binhex-qbittorrentvpn'
  --net='bridge'
  --privileged=true
  -e TZ="America/Los_Angeles"
  -e HOST_OS="Unraid"
  -e HOST_HOSTNAME="OKTONAS"
  -e HOST_CONTAINERNAME="binhex-qbittorrentvpn"
  -e 'VPN_ENABLED'='yes'
  -e 'VPN_USER'='redacted'
  -e 'VPN_PASS'='redacted'
  -e 'VPN_PROV'='custom'
  -e 'VPN_CLIENT'='openvpn'
  -e 'VPN_OPTIONS'=''
  -e 'STRICT_PORT_FORWARD'='yes'
  -e 'ENABLE_PRIVOXY'='no'
  -e 'WEBUI_PORT'='8080'
  -e 'LAN_NETWORK'='my subnet/24'
  -e 'NAME_SERVERS'='84.200.69.80,37.235.1.174,1.1.1.1,37.235.1.177,84.200.70.40,1.0.0.1'
  -e 'VPN_INPUT_PORTS'=''
  -e 'VPN_OUTPUT_PORTS'=''
  -e 'DEBUG'='false'
  -e 'UMASK'='000'
  -e 'PUID'='99'
  -e 'PGID'='100'
  -l net.unraid.docker.managed=dockerman
  -l net.unraid.docker.webui='http://[IP]:[PORT:8080]/'
  -l net.unraid.docker.icon='https://raw.githubusercontent.com/binhex/docker-templates/master/binhex/images/qbittorrent-icon.png'
  -p '6881:6881/tcp'
  -p '6881:6881/udp'
  -p '8080:8080/tcp'
  -p '8118:8118/tcp'
  -v '/mnt/user/Torrent_Downloads/':'/data':'rw'
  -v '/mnt/user/appdata/binhex-qbittorrentvpn':'/config':'rw'
  --sysctl="net.ipv4.conf.all.src_valid_mark=1" 'binhex/arch-qbittorrentvpn'

Inside Qbittorrent's settings, my downloads are set to: 

image.png.c76e15c8bc816f027115d5f44dc39af8.png

The directory looks to be mapped properly. Only other thing I fiddled with is the polling time and the disk cache settings under advanced. I added a bit more memory and set the refresh interval to 2000ms, the disk queue size to 1024kb, oh, and the max active torrents to 6. I wouldn't expect these to cause a problem.

Edited by Freedomfries
Missed info
9 hours ago, wgstarks said:

Really sounds like a bug. You could install an older version to check that.

It was a fresh install of 4.5.0.

I deleted the instance and installed 4.4.3.1-3-01.

This does not resolve the issues, torrents get stuck sometimes on stalled whereby you need to pause and start to fix.

The other issue where they start at the beginning unless you force a recheck is there too; bummer.

1 hour ago, ados said:

It was a fresh install of 4.5.0.

I deleted the instance and installed 4.4.3.1-3-01.

This does not resolve the issues, torrents get stuck sometimes on stalled whereby you need to pause and start to fix.

The other issue where they start at the beginning unless you force a recheck is there too; bummer.

I’m not seeing any of these issues with 4.5.0.

Yeah not sure what is happening, just tested again with download at 79% and rebooted which dropped it to 39%.

It then continued to slowly download from there as if past had never been downloaded.

Forced a recheck and it corrected itself, will jump back to Deluge.

Thank you for assisting me. 👍

Kept troubleshooting some more this morning and I did something which I hadn't tried before, I deleted the test torrents that errored out earlier and added new ones. Now those work just fine!!! I never assumed that something on the torrent could have gotten stuck, and apparently my latest config is working normally but I wasn't able to confirm that since I kept trying to restart the errored torrents.

Big thanks to wgstarks and binhex. I hope this thread can help others get set up properly.

• Like 1

Did something break on the latest update? Been using this for years... but now after an update I can not connect to the web interface.... even though the docker is showing as running.

Is there some change in a recent update that would effect this?

I also use this as the vpn for a number of other dockers and they will connect to the webUI fine...  it is just the bit torrent client that is not working connecting to the webUI... but they do not seem to be acessing the internet. Like Radnarr can not search, even though I can see the webUI.

I think it has something to do with the VPN... as if I turn it off, the webUI loads fine....

I'm using expressVPN's OpenVPN files. I checked the user/pass and redownloaded the openVPN file but no luck?

my_expressvpn_???_-_???_udp.ovpn is the file they gave me (??? is regional infomation like England, Sheffield or w/e. There is also a "credentials.conf" with my user/pass in it.

edit : I tried installing DelugeVPN by binhex and same problem. It works fine if I turn the VPN off, but if I turn it on it will not connect to the webUI and it seems like I can not even pink google.com from the console of the docker.

For now, I have rolled back to "tag:4.5.0-1-01" and it is working as before.. so it is something to do with the new update from about 11 hours ago... if anyone knows what to do then please let me know!

Edited by questionbot
6 hours ago, questionbot said:

Did something break on the latest update? Been using this for years... but now after an update I can not connect to the web interface.... even though the docker is showing as running.

I'm seeing the same issue with the same symptoms and log errors.

2 hours ago, wgstarks said:

What log errors? So far no one has posted any logs. Please include the contents of supervisord.log. Be sure to redact users and passwords.

Supervisord.log is filled with just this, repeating about 100 times per second. I rolled back to the previous version of the image and it ran with no errors. 

2023-02-13 08:16:50,648 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:
Options error: Unrecognized option or missing or extra parameter(s) in /config/openvpn/TorGuard.ovpn:34: ncp-disable (2.6.0)
Use --help for more information.

2023-02-13 08:16:50,649 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:
[info] Starting OpenVPN (non daemonised)...

2023-02-13 08:16:50,651 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:
Options error: Unrecognized option or missing or extra parameter(s) in /config/openvpn/TorGuard.ovpn:34: ncp-disable (2.6.0)
Use --help for more information.

2023-02-13 08:16:50,651 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:
[info] Starting OpenVPN (non daemonised)...

Edited by WalkerJ

I just updated the docker container. I can't connect to the WebUI either. The messages at the end of the log just repeats every second. I've been using my OpenVPN config file for a few months now with no issues. I tried grabbing a new one from my VPN service, but I get the same error.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you need anything else.

supervisord.log