Skitals

Gigabyte X570 AORUS Elite / Pro (WiFi) / Ultra Tips & Tricks

29 posts in this topic Last Reply

11 hours ago, righardt.marais said:

Hi

Hi Sleepyme

I initially tried the i440fv machine when you create the VM as it comes as the standard config but this did not work for my setup and a friend suggested I use the Q35 machine instead. This also did not work in the end.

tx

Start from scratch. Download the Unraid USB Creator. For version select Next -> 6.8.0 RC5. Click customize. Check Allow UEFI boot. Insert your new unraid usb into the white port on your motherboard labeled BIOS. Boot your computer into the bios. Reset all settings to factory optimized/default settings. Save and reboot back into the bios. Make ONLY these changes:

Tweaker -> Advanced CPU Settings -> SVM Mode -> Enable

Settings -> Miscellaneous -> IOMMU -> Enable

Settings -> AMD CBS -> ACS Enable -> Enable

Settings -> AMD CBS -> Enable AER Cap -> Enable

Save and reboot. Assuming you don't have any other boot media attached it will boot unraid. From the web gui Main menu, click the name of your Boot Device (flash). Under Syslinux Config -> Unraid OS, add "video=efifb:off" after "append initrd=/bzroot". The line should now read "append initrd=/bzroot video=efifb:off". Reboot unraid.

Create a new vm using win10 template. Use the latest win10 install iso and virtio driver iso. Use the Q35 chipset, and the rest default/usual. Get windows installed/working with vnc graphics. Download appropriate vbios from https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/. Pass it along with your gpu video/sound. 

If you haven't seen it already, spaceinvader one has a video specific for the 5700 XT. The long and short is you need to pass a vbios, and you need to use Q35 to get the drivers to install properly. I would try doing everything fresh and in the order I suggested.

Will give it a try in the morning, thanks for helping.

Edit:

Hi Skitals

I have created everything brand new, new Unraid image download(latest rc9) cleaned the drives and followed your steps to the T.

One thing I did notice that I did wrong previously was that I updated the video card drivers with the Virtio drivers as I would for normal VM operation. After I "did not do the driver update for video card" - it passed the card "once". I did not have keyboard mouse passed so I could not get the VM stopped - Force stopped it.

After rebooting the Unraid system for good measure - and passing keyboard - nothing, no card passed to screen. I have tried different output methods (hdmi, DP) as I thought it had something to do with output method used as I used hdmi initially and after getting excited moved my case to its final resting space (not my desk) and used the DP on my 49" Samsung screen.

I have seen others complain about the AMD cards and Unraid not working nicely.

As a last resort I am going to start over again and just try using a Nvidia card I borrowed from work. Just to see what happens.

I am so disappointed in the unsuccessful marriage between AMD 5700XT and Unraid - between AMD reset bug and not even working like mine.

If there is anyone out there who has the hardware I have and successfully got Unraid to work with X5700XT / Aorus mobo with pass through graphics....please shout.

Maybe one of the reviewers who gets hardware could do a POC for us.

Unraid-first-and-only-passthrough-of-X5700XT.jpeg

Edited by righardt.marais

On 12/6/2019 at 6:42 PM, righardt.marais said:

As a last resort I am going to start over again and just try using a Nvidia card I borrowed from work. Just to see what happens.

I am so disappointed in the unsuccessful marriage between AMD 5700XT and Unraid - between AMD reset bug and not even working like mine.

If there is anyone out there who has the hardware I have and successfully got Unraid to work with X5700XT / Aorus mobo with pass through graphics....please shout.

I just so happened to buy a 5700 XT since my last post. It works fine. It passes fine with vbios. The latest Adenaline drivers don't work with i440 chipset (you will get a black screen at 40% when installing the drivers). I switched to Q35 and it works fine with the drivers. If you already have the amd drivers installed, you will need to use Q35. The navi reset patch v1 seems to work with this hardware. I am on 6.8.0-RC5 and using the custom 5.3.8 kernel here for the reset patch: 

I have noticed some bugs with HDMI and legacy boot on this card/mobo combo. I'm waiting for a new displayport monitor to come in, so I can't confirm if the issue is present on displayport as well. I get the "no signal" bug if the bios is set to CSM Enabled (legacy boot support) AND the card is in a certain state. The biggest issue is that there is a somewhat documented CSM bug with this bios where it reenables itself. My windows and unraid installs are both UEFI, but for some reason something is triggering CSM to become reenabled. I think its the 5700 XT switching between BIOS and UEFI boot. When the state of the motherboard and the gpu get out of sync, the only way to reset it and get a signal for the bios is the turn off the computer, turn off the power supply, unplug the power supply, unplug the hdmi, then reconnect everything and turn the computer back on. When this happens, the motherboard has always reverted to CSM Enabled.  Interestingly, if I DON'T need to get into the bios, I can just let Unraid boot with "no signal" and when I fire up a vm the card/signal comes to life. Occasionally I will get "no signal" when starting a VM, OR it will be super low res. Turning the monitor off and back on fixes this. There is some kind of handshake not happening.

This is all frustrating since I have ZERO issues with my 1070 to a display connected with DVI. I'm hoping that all these issues are somehow because my current monitors are ancient and don't support more modern hdmi (let alone displayport) standards.

The takeaway here is: Disable CSM in the bios. Use the kernel above with the reset patch. Use Q35 chipset for your Win10 VM. Use UEFI/OVMF for everything (both bare metal and kvm). Use displayport over hdmi. Don't use an ancient display. The first 4 recommendations solved 95% of my problems, hopefully the new monitor with displayport solves the last 5%.

Just ran 3dmark Time Spy, here are my refults: https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/41799540

Gigabyte 5700 XT Gaming OC, Ryzen 3900X (passing all but first 2 cores), 16 out of 32GB ram, Windows installed on a 1TB Gen4 m.2 NVME (passing through nvme controller, can also boot Win10 bare metal). Machine type set to Q35-4.0.1. I think my results are pretty good! Getting better numbers in a VM than reviews for this specific vendor card.