Coming From FlexRAID

So the fans should have no problem with the cooling at a less noisy 2500 rpm. But if anyone can point me in the direction of a script to help with fan control... I'd appreciate it.

What JBOD enclosure?

For my CSE846 JBODs I've left out the two back fans and did replace the three Front fans by more silent drop-in replacements (the green ones).

But you mention drives on the back of your enclosure, so I think you do have a bigger One ...

I am using a CSE-847E26-RJBOD1. I too was using a modified 846TQ-R900B for many years until the mobo crapped out. 

When I was using the JBOD with FlexRAID... Because only one drive in the enclosure was being used at a single time... The fans did not need spin at max rpm. I'm sure this will be the case once the array is complete... But for now... The fans sound like a small jet. And the complaints from my wife are getting louder as well. Lol

I did find a tutorial in how to control the fans... http://kmwoley.com/blog/controlling-case-fans-based-on-hard-drive-temperature/ but first I must get through the preclear process.

Good morning...

The preclear of my first 20 drives have passed without a single error... So far so good.

My FlexRAID setup had a single share comprised of multiple directories. The main share was titled Media with individual directories for Blu-ray, 3D, UHD, TV Shows, DVD, Music etc. I'm looking for some advice on the best way to allocate files to drives... while making sure that all the file structure of each Blu-ray only gets written to a single hard drive.

Since my files are typically added daily and 25 gigs or larger... It's probably best I keep my drives set up as one JBOD share... vs individual shares for blu-rays, DVDs, TV shows, etc... If it drives fail, I'd like to make sure that only the files on that particular drive are lost...  and that there are not parts on any other drive.

What do you think?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2020 at 1:07 AM, Aaron Arnold said:

I replicated my shares from the flexraid setup and just moved everything over on drive at a time, the only thing that is duplicated is the folder structure so it's not a big deal to continue over writing it as it just doesn't do anything.  I used the krusader docker to do the moving.  you could even create the folder structure a head of time using the linux commands without moving anything (Which is what I did for testing to see what it would actually look like with out moving my data, and sorry I don't remember what the command was that I used.  But a quick google will work on finding the information).    Keep in mind that you would create the root folders, and then copy the folders structure of each root folder.

An example I had a root folder pictures so I create a share called pictures and then used krusader to copy/move pictures from drive 1 to the unraid shares drive, it will warn you that it's over writing pictures, you say yes and then it continues.  Disk 2 you would do the same but this time you will get a second warning as disk 1  create the folder structure already, you will also say over write, and so on.  

The data that is already there will remain and the new data will also be written.  You can test this if you wish with a small subset of drives using the onboard controller of you motherboard.  I understand your concerns and the only way that you can be sure and put your mind at ease is to test it.  Which is what I would suggest for anyone who is thinking of going down this road.  I used some small disks and just played until I was sure/happy that it was the right way to do it.  I just expanded my test box to my production box, this also allowed me to test drive replacing and recovery of disk function, which worked very well.  As unraid is very flexible in this case it seems to handle hardware changes very well, there are outlining case (From what I've read) that don't always work like anything nothing is perfect.    Hope this is helping/helped :).

Hello Aaron...

I need your help understanding some things... I am just getting over 5 days of the flu so not much progress has occurred on the new server ... Ugh.

Ok... So I have 45TBs precleared and set up with basic shares (BluRay, TV_Shows, UHD, DVDs, etc) on the array. I followed space Invaders video on how to move data via krusader...  But I have hit a wall. I am using the Fill-Up method with minimum free space as follows...

For DVD's, I have minimum free space set to 60GB

For Blu-rays, I have minimum free space set to 180GB

For UHD, I have minimum free space set to 100GB

For TV Series, I have minimum free space set to 100GB

I have the split at top level...

But Krusader is not functioning as I expected.... When I used FlexRAID... If I had 45TBs of space in my drivepool... I could keep writing files to the share until I reached the capacity of the pool... Files would be automatically written to the next drive once the previous drive had filled to my predetermined limit... This is not happening with Krusader... Depending on what is being written to a drive in a share.... The first disk may fill to capacity and then fail start copying any additional data to the next disk in the share. Does Krusader not see the disks as a pool?... I am copying from share to share... So I don't see that as the problem.

Before I had this many drives precleared... I first tried copying the data to a smaller drive pool via Krusader using highwater instead of fill-up. Everything seemed to be working correctly... The drives where filling with data to the highwater point and then moving on to the next disk... That is until I added additional drives to the array... Then the first disk filled to capacity and the copy failed.

My old data drives are 2TBs and my new ones are 3TBs... So copying from disk to disk would not be an easy process. Like I said... I was hoping to use Krusader to transfer each disk while automatically filling up each disk in the array.

What do you think I am doing wrong?

I did notice that Krusader automatically creates the directories and folders before it starts copying data... Maybe this is why the first disk filled to 100%...

Thanks for your help

John

Edited by Litlgi

I had mine set to high water at first.  so I didn't have the issues you describe, I then set it to most space available, that seem to work for me.  As I don't care where the data is as long as it there :).  I also was adding one disk at a time so, that might have had something to do with it as well.  This might be something to ask in the docker section for Krusader.  

The one time I did notice it is when I had two move jobs running, if it was more then what was available total but, each individual job used less space than available it would fail.  

8 hours ago, Litlgi said:

But Krusader is not functioning as I expected.... When I used FlexRAID... If I had 45TBs of space in my drivepool... I could keep writing files to the share until I reached the capacity of the pool... Files would be automatically written to the next drive once the previous drive had filled to my predetermined limit... This is not happening with Krusader... Depending on what is being written to a drive in a share.... The first disk may fill to capacity and then fail start copying any additional data to the next disk in the share. Does Krusader not see the disks as a pool?... I am copying from share to share... So I don't see that as the problem.

What happens with Krusader, rsync, many other applications is this.

It creates all the folders before it begins to copy the files. Since the disk has plenty of room for the empty folders, they all get created on that one disk. Then the files get copied into those already created folders.

So, you have to do the transfer in separate smaller batches.

I think I may have found a workaround... Midnight Commander.

It appears that it creates directories and copies to them one-by-one... Which should allow my shares properties (fill-up and split-level) to work properly...

I'll know better tomorrow.

Thanks

Edited by Litlgi