Plex and linux support. Go vote.

SpartanSoul

All Plex users need to go vote for an unRaid compatible version of Plex Media Server. http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/21662-linux-support/

It would be great to be able to move the media server onto my unRaid box.

If you don't use Plex because its Mac only that will change, they are working on Windows and Linux versions. All XBMC users need to give it a look. We use both Plex and XBMC but if Plex can keep improving on Plex 9 we may switch over completely when the Windows version comes out.

Thanks for the link.

Essentially then they have closed sourced everything they can get away with. Great product but 99% of the code they need is GPL and developed by other people.... then they close source the new cool stuff rather than giving back.

IMHO thats bad. More power to GPL, Long live XBMC.

I can understand that point of view but I like and use both. The Plex media manager is really a step forward and integrating it into an unRaid server would be a match made in heaven.

On the other hand they need to improve on the player side, since Mac minis are expensive. If they can get the Apple TV player up to snuff it will be a step and we have to see what the LG rollout brings.

There has been some hints of some "powered by XBMC" hardware hinted at on the XBMC forum so maybe CES will bring us some announcements there. Now that Dharma is finally out there should be improvements of the XBMC side as well.

I'll probably keep both since I love playing with them.

Yeah Plex has added the server component taking it a big step forward from XBMC in terms of central management. It just vexes me that standing on the shoulders of giants they have decided not to give back where they could.

Poor show Plex. I crtianly wont ever be using it or buying anything from them.

Yeah Plex has added the server component taking it a big step forward from XBMC in terms of central management. It just vexes me that standing on the shoulders of giants they have decided not to give back where they could.

Nor I.

So what exactly is everyone pissed at Plex for? As for as I can tell they have followed by the GPL. Elan has even stated that the XBMC team could make XBMC work with Plex Media Server..

Quote:

Originally Posted by RckStr View Post

Will this part still be open source though? ie will others be able to make frontends for PMS? As much as i love the iOS apps and the server part of your software, I dont like the osx player so much. In a dream world, id much rather have PMS serving up XBMC clients around my house.

Yes, of course! If anyone wants to get XBMC working with PMS, I'd be the first to pitch in to help.

Everyone is free to choose and it's great to have choices.

For this reason I just can't look at plex as an option.

I obviously don't see the detailed exchanges that may have gone one between the XBMC and Plex teams, but it always seemed clear to me that XBMC had no interest in working changes and improvements from Plex back into XBMC anyway open source or not.  I find the new library to be a great implementation and look forward to when I can run it on Unraid.  XBMC development has seemed to missed the boat in my mind with their kludgey MYSQL-based half solution to a unified library.  I have no doubt they will eventually get there, but I for one don't mind getting on the Plex bandwagon.  I respect the other opinions and choices expressed here,  take this as what it is, just one opinion.

I can certainly see both sides. I have held off choosing one or the other. I like the idea of a server/client approach. Especially since I have an iPad,2 iPhones,and a touch. One library for all would be great, streaming to the portables is awesome. I would like it to be handled by one program rather than run xmbc to stream to a htpc for the main tv and the zumocast or other to stream to the portables. Can't we all just get along and work for the goal. I have no problem paying people for their work. It seems like a lot of projects get started but not finished, I can't help but wonder if this was because it was done as a side project that took too much time with no money.

I've been using Plex for about two years. Choosing between Plex and XBMC the deal breaker for me was the flexibility of Plex to have cateogries other than Movies or TV shows. There are work around in XBMC to get what I wanted, but Plex just does it out of the box.

I've been checking periodically on XMBC to see if and when they will implement this feature and so far the answer seems to be not yet as it would need a total rewrite of the db structure.

However, one thing that keeps on nagging at me about Plex is that currently it is a beta release and they have not specified their plans when it actually becomes a 1.0 release. They would be well in within their rights to start charging for their product once it is a proper release and as they have stated clearly that they are a for profit organization. However, that would really leave an unpleasant taste if they did so as it would seem that I have been providing community feedback and testing under "unclear" information about the final product. Then, I would probably exercise my consumer right not to patronize their product.

I really hope that Plex will be able to earn enough from other licensing deals, as it is their right to, such that they will not have to stiff the community that supported them for such a long time.

Unfortunately it is aan absolute that Plex is going full on commercial. There current partnerships and their divergence from open to closed source leaves no doubt this is the goal.

That is not a bad thing in itself but to use the work of others to get yourself 99% there under GPL then add on something cool and close source that bit forgetting about your origins just sucks.

I dont blame them for going commercial but I am certainly not going to encourage it in any way and I don't think we should as a community either.