Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array


dlandon

5983 posts in this topic Last Reply

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

New release of UD.  Changes: When changing the mount point (which is also the share name), the mount point is checked for a duplicate of a user share or another UD device.  Samba cannot handle

While I appreciate your interest in esthetics, there is more to consider than just 'aligning' disk drive mounts: This disk is mounted without a UD script, it is probably better to put it in th

Major new release of UD: "Where are the switches?"  The "Pass Through", "Read Only", "Automount", and "Share" switches have been moved to a new Edit Settings dialog.  This is also where the sc

Posted Images

2 hours ago, dlandon said:

Don't use Jumbo shares.  Set MTUs to default.

Really? even with 10gbe? ok, will change it tonight, I have jumbo frames on all my client machines as well (everything goes through a fibre switch) should I remove jumbo frames on ALL devices or just between the 2 unraid servers?

 

Thank you

Link to post
11 minutes ago, mbc0 said:

Really? even with 10gbe? ok, will change it tonight, I have jumbo frames on all my client machines as well (everything goes through a fibre switch) should I remove jumbo frames on ALL devices or just between the 2 unraid servers?

 

Thank you

This has come up before.  Set all devices to default MTU.  It can be a challenge to set up a network properly for Jumbo frames, and I doubt you are really getting any throughput advantage.  It's not worth the aggravation.

Link to post
6 minutes ago, mbc0 said:

Thank you! 

 

Incidentally, I have lost 3 of my shares, only 1 would re-mount successfully (TVShows) but the other two mount but are immediately unusable (Movies & Transcode Cache) so I have attached a diags in case it makes things easier to diagnose? 

 

image.thumb.png.20285c76c8a47d08341084f5c6a48000.png

 

 

unraid2-diagnostics-20210221-1751.zip 137.53 kB · 0 downloads

They all look like they are mounted to me.

 

The log shows:

Feb 15 09:28:47 UNRAID2 nmbd[5426]: [2021/02/15 09:28:47.368021,  0] ../../source3/nmbd/nmbd_become_lmb.c:397(become_local_master_stage2)
Feb 15 09:28:47 UNRAID2 nmbd[5426]:   *****
Feb 15 09:28:47 UNRAID2 nmbd[5426]:   
Feb 15 09:28:47 UNRAID2 nmbd[5426]:   Samba name server UNRAID2 is now a local master browser for workgroup WORKGROUP on subnet 192.168.122.1
Feb 15 09:28:47 UNRAID2 nmbd[5426]:   
Feb 15 09:28:47 UNRAID2 nmbd[5426]:   *****
Feb 15 09:28:47 UNRAID2 nmbd[5426]: [2021/02/15 09:28:47.368139,  0] ../../source3/nmbd/nmbd_become_lmb.c:397(become_local_master_stage2)
Feb 15 09:28:47 UNRAID2 nmbd[5426]:   *****
Feb 15 09:28:47 UNRAID2 nmbd[5426]:   
Feb 15 09:28:47 UNRAID2 nmbd[5426]:   Samba name server UNRAID2 is now a local master browser for workgroup WORKGROUP on subnet 172.18.0.1
Feb 15 09:28:47 UNRAID2 nmbd[5426]:   
Feb 15 09:28:47 UNRAID2 nmbd[5426]:   *****
Feb 15 09:28:47 UNRAID2 nmbd[5426]: [2021/02/15 09:28:47.368226,  0] ../../source3/nmbd/nmbd_become_lmb.c:397(become_local_master_stage2)
Feb 15 09:28:47 UNRAID2 nmbd[5426]:   *****
Feb 15 09:28:47 UNRAID2 nmbd[5426]:   
Feb 15 09:28:47 UNRAID2 nmbd[5426]:   Samba name server UNRAID2 is now a local master browser for workgroup WORKGROUP on subnet 172.17.0.1
Feb 15 09:28:47 UNRAID2 nmbd[5426]:   
Feb 15 09:28:47 UNRAID2 nmbd[5426]:   *****
\

and

Feb 16 15:37:09 UNRAID2 kernel: CIFS: VFS:  BAD_NETWORK_NAME: \\UNRAID1\tdarr-cache
Feb 16 15:37:09 UNRAID2 kernel: CIFS: VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -2
Feb 16 15:37:09 UNRAID2 unassigned.devices: SMB default protocol mount failed: mount error(2): No such file or directory Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs) and kernel log messages 

I think UD is having trouble looking up the server name.  Try using IP addresses instead.

Link to post

It looks like they are mounted but when you try and access them, this is the problem

 

image.png.9de227531bb8b5ac791c4b78f736879c.png

 

When setting up a share I just search for servers by pressing the button and then select the server I want.

 

image.png.f2b4d4faaa3b1eecf3f1c357a3a5dc40.png

 

So I will type in the IP instead and see if that helps

 

Thank you

 

 

Link to post
17 hours ago, dlandon said:

This has come up before.  Set all devices to default MTU.  It can be a challenge to set up a network properly for Jumbo frames, and I doubt you are really getting any throughput advantage.  It's not worth the aggravation.

 

Hi, I changed my MTU on all my 10gbe devices (including both unraid servers) from 9000 to 1500 and my throughput has dropped from +950MB/s to 380MB/s  quite the drop.  I have rebooted all devices as well since changing to 1500.  I found a few guides including spaceinvaderone's on how to setup 10gbe on unraid and they all say to set the mtu to 9000.  What is the official line on this with unraid? I am now not able to reach the potential of 10gbe because of the mtu drop to (hopefully) make unraid SMB shares stable.

 

Thank you 

Link to post

@dlandon Hi, I can confirm that my SMB shares have stayed active! so thanks for that! I wonder if you wouldn't mind letting me know where I stand with the inability to use Jumbo Frames please?  I appreciate there is a problem using them but the result is that my setups of 10gbe fibre connections/switch etc cannot be utilized with Jumbo Frames disabled. Is this an unraid issue that will be fixed?

 

Many Thanks

 

Link to post
28 minutes ago, mbc0 said:

@dlandon Hi, I can confirm that my SMB shares have stayed active! so thanks for that! I wonder if you wouldn't mind letting me know where I stand with the inability to use Jumbo Frames please?  I appreciate there is a problem using them but the result is that my setups of 10gbe fibre connections/switch etc cannot be utilized with Jumbo Frames disabled. Is this an unraid issue that will be fixed?

 

Many Thanks

 

From what I’ve seen, it’s not a problem with using Jumbo frames, it’s that people don’t set it up right.  Your complete network has to be configured for Jumbo frames.

 

I would post separately and ask for assistance on setting up Jumbo frames.

Link to post
16 minutes ago, dlandon said:

From what I’ve seen, it’s not a problem with using Jumbo frames, it’s that people don’t set it up right.  Your complete network has to be configured for Jumbo frames.

 

I would post separately and ask for assistance on setting up Jumbo frames.

Ok, I will... thank you, all I did was put in the cards into each device and set mtu to 9000 on all.  Obviously there is more to it than that, the switch does not have any config for MTU.  I will research some more, thank you

Link to post
57 minutes ago, mbc0 said:

the switch does not have any config for MTU.

 

This suggests the switch does not support jumbo frames?  You should not be using them if that is the case.  

Link to post
2 hours ago, itimpi said:

 

This suggests the switch does not support jumbo frames?  You should not be using them if that is the case.  

 

Hi, I found the setting in routeros but have decided stability is better than performance after reading MANY threads about this.

 

Thank you!

Link to post
Quote

Feb 25 21:43:59 Tower unassigned.devices: Error: shell_exec(/bin/df '/mnt/remotes/Filme_Backup' --output=size,used,avail | /bin/grep -v '1K-blocks' 2>/dev/null) took longer than 2s!

any idea why i have those timeouts in my log? i cant access the remotely mounted shares and free space is 0 in the ud plugin, but the other server is online... randomly times out after some time, never longer than an hour. cant unmount as well, although that might be because there is a rsync running as i am using the remote shares for automatic backups.

Link to post
1 hour ago, Michael H said:

any idea why i have those timeouts in my log? i cant access the remotely mounted shares and free space is 0 in the ud plugin, but the other server is online... randomly times out after some time, never longer than an hour. cant unmount as well, although that might be because there is a rsync running as i am using the remote shares for automatic backups.

Post diagnostics.

Link to post

I recently updated this plugin and can no longer see my unassigned devices listed in the Main tab of the webUI.

It shows up in the Dashboard though

 

Dashboard:

 

image.thumb.png.dcc0f5975909da23a764154ef6ae71c2.png

 

Main:

 

image.thumb.png.de052bccf566b44e6cb68a5ae7e0239a.png

 

I have both Unassigned Devices and Unassigned Devices Pro installed:

image.thumb.png.65f368b00d2f3a987c707ed6b86f0290.png

 

Using UNRAID Version: 6.8.3 

Link to post
7 hours ago, frakman1 said:

I recently updated this plugin and can no longer see my unassigned devices listed in the Main tab of the webUI.

It shows up in the Dashboard though

 

Dashboard:

 

image.thumb.png.dcc0f5975909da23a764154ef6ae71c2.png

 

Main:

 

image.thumb.png.de052bccf566b44e6cb68a5ae7e0239a.png

 

I have both Unassigned Devices and Unassigned Devices Pro installed:

image.thumb.png.65f368b00d2f3a987c707ed6b86f0290.png

 

Using UNRAID Version: 6.8.3 

The display of UD devices is controlled by the 'Disks', 'Shares', and 'Historical' switches in the upper right.  See if changing them shows the devices.

Link to post

The toggles are all on. Toggling them off and on didn't make a difference.

Clicking on the reload button returned Success but nothing changed

Clicking on the Gear icon tried to go to "/Settings/UnassignedDevicesSettings" but it hangs there and never loads. syslog shows a timeout. All other pages seem to load fine.

 

Feb 27 15:28:00 Tower nginx: 2021/02/27 15:28:00 [error] 31631#31631: *265334 upstream timed out (110: Connection timed out) while reading response header from upstream, client: 192.168.86.22, server: , request: "POST /plugins/unassigned.devices/UnassignedDevices.php HTTP/1.1", upstream: "fastcgi://unix:/var/run/php5-fpm.sock", host: "tower", referrer: "http://tower/Main"

 

Link to post
39 minutes ago, frakman1 said:

The toggles are all on. Toggling them off and on didn't make a difference.

Clicking on the reload button returned Success but nothing changed

Clicking on the Gear icon tried to go to "/Settings/UnassignedDevicesSettings" but it hangs there and never loads. syslog shows a timeout. All other pages seem to load fine.

 

Feb 27 15:28:00 Tower nginx: 2021/02/27 15:28:00 [error] 31631#31631: *265334 upstream timed out (110: Connection timed out) while reading response header from upstream, client: 192.168.86.22, server: , request: "POST /plugins/unassigned.devices/UnassignedDevices.php HTTP/1.1", upstream: "fastcgi://unix:/var/run/php5-fpm.sock", host: "tower", referrer: "http://tower/Main"

 

Post diagnostics.

Link to post

My server is acting weird. Super high average load values even after stopping all VMs and docker. It may or not be related.

There are a ton of hdparm calls in the D (uninterruptible sleep) state. I don't know if that's a plugin or OS thing

 

I posted a thread about it here:

 

Edited by frakman1
Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.