Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

11 hours ago, Derek_ said:

Oooooohh.. It took me a while, but i get it now :)

Local UDs:  /mnt/disks/

Remote UDs:  /mnt/remote

The help text wording was confusing to me, it doesn't make a distinction between local UDs and remote UDs. It implies that all UD mappings should be set to /mnt/remotes:

It's a carryover from the original way UD mounted disks and remote shares.  It used to be that everything was at /mnt/disks/ and this setting let's people stay that way so they don't have to re-map VMs and Docker Containers to a new mount point at /mnt/remotes/.

You're close, but:

/mnt/disks/ is the mount folder for physical disks.

/mnt/remotes/ is the mount folder for SMB and NFS remote shares.

Edited by dlandon
  • Like 1
7 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Stop your array and then restart the array.  I think the Dev devices are mis-configured and this would possibly straignten it out.

I haven't start array, all operation is under array stop. Also try stop-start-stop array .... still not work. UD OOS now.

1 minute ago, Vr2Io said:

I haven't start array, all operation is under array stop. Also try stop-start-stop array .... still not work. UD OOS now.

Show the output of this command:

cat /usr/local/emhttp/state/devs.ini

Also click on the three gears icon and let me know what the "Disk Name:" shows.

1 minute ago, dlandon said:

Turn off debug.  It is no help here and just clogs the log with a lot of messages.

Already turn off debug, after several stop-start array / click refresh / toogle UD setting / delete historical device ( device also show in UD online list ), then all resume normal.

BTW, device ( may be 1 or more then 1 ) show in online and historical in same time, sometimes be that in previous UD version.

image.png.32e9f2fd8f2527e487b966aa7c5bbf53.png

image.png.8bbec65d322562dea5286c82da0975ae.png

You can delete all the historical devices.

I asked you to show me the Unassigned Devices when UD was uninstalled.  I asked for that because I suspect your drive bay is assigning devices with duplicate serial numbers.  UD rejects duplicates because it has to have a unique serial number for each device.  You can check that yourself, but it's hard for me to help you when you don't provide the information I ask for.

40 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Is UD showing all these devices now?

Yes, after several stop-start array / click refresh / toogle UD setting / delete historical device.

BTW, dev10 in online and historical, even I delete it many many time, this happen in previous UD version.

Edited by Vr2Io
35 minutes ago, Vr2Io said:

Yes, after several stop-start array / click refresh / toogle UD setting / delete historical device.

You shouldn't have to do all that.

36 minutes ago, Vr2Io said:

BTW, dev10 in online and historical, even I delete it many many time, this happen in previous UD version.

I just released a fix for this.

Having an issue this morning w/ version 2022.01.19a on unRAID 6.9.1

Upon upgrade ALL of my unassigned devices went into the Historical Devices section w/ pool/drive function seemingly unaffected.  I stopped array as per previous recommendation -- items remained historical.  I rebooted server (which greatly pained me after several months of uptime) and ONE device came back to UD w/ no device tag.  I went into the settings for each drive and clicked done and some of the drives have returned to UD.

See screenshot:

That is currently where I stand -- I tried changing the device ID for one of the returned drives and it always reverts to dev (dev9) and there is still a device that has blank ID.  Other drives are physically still in system and are functioning (EVO_850_1 is a VM boot disk and I am typing this message through that machine).

Please advise

UD_012022.PNG

28 minutes ago, therapist said:

I tried changing the device ID for one of the returned drives and it always reverts to dev (dev9) and there is still a device that has blank ID

I'm working on this issuse.  If you look at the log, it says you can't change the name because a blank name is already in use.  That's a bug.

When you click on device settings on the first device, what shows up in the name field?  Is it blank?

Also show me the disk name setting for one of the duplciate historical devices.

Edited by dlandon
43 minutes ago, dlandon said:

When you click on device settings on the first device, what shows up in the name field?  Is it blank?

the name field is blank, yes

Also show me the disk name setting for one of the duplciate historical devices.

there arent any duplicate entries -- the drives still in historical include 3/6 drives in a RAID10 array and a passed-thru VM boot disk. all settings have name field blank

I've just released a fix for not being able to update the disk name, and I think for the blank device showing on the first device.  Please update, then click on the double arrows in the upper right hand corner of the UD page.  See if this doesn't clear up the blank device.

After the update, let me know if the historical devices still show up that don't belong there.

Edited by dlandon
8 minutes ago, dlandon said:

I've just released a fix for not being able to update the disk name, and I think for the blank device showing on the first device.  Please update, then click on the double arrows in the upper right hand corner of the UD page.  See if this doesn't clear up the blank device.

After the update, let me know if the historical devices still show up that don't belong there.

Devices are all now in UD but first device is blank

When changing name it reverts to blank

US012022.PNG

Just a heads up to everyone using the latest UD.  You need to click the 'Save' button at the bottom of the device settings page to get the disk name to apply.  The switches above the top 'Done' button are immediate and don't require a 'Save'.  Anything below that upper 'Done' button requires a 'Save' to apply the changes.  I'm going to look at how to make this clearer.

i noticed  hard drives plugged in  suddenly are gone..

on my one server  i rebooted..  the server and it brought the drive back..

on the 2nd server i tried pulling the hot swap out and back in and it re detected.. it.. i added diagnostic..   its my one 6TB  drive i didnt know which one was which so i pulled both my 6tb drives that are in the UD section

tower-diagnostics-20220120-1115.zip