Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

sorry if i missed this in the thread but i just got my flash drive mounted but i dont like how it created "New_Volume" would of preferred a disk ID or number of some sort.. can it be changed?

mounted%20drive_zpsg1wb8yay.jpg

Yes, but don't post the same question in multiple threads.

sorry...

was coming back to edit that i got it changed after stopping the array.. thanks for the lead in the other.

Hi,

How do I access a mounted drive from windows7? I can see the drive from network, but when I try to access the drive, a dialog box requiring user password pops up. Ive tried every combination of username and password but the same dialog box keeps popping up.

In the unassigned device settings, I have select 'No' for 'Enabled SMB Security?'

Ive googled all afternoon and can't get into the thing!

Thanks

Forget it....got into it

sorry if i missed this in the thread but i just got my flash drive mounted but i dont like how it created "New_Volume" would of preferred a disk ID or number of some sort.. can it be changed?

mounted%20drive_zpsg1wb8yay.jpg

Yes, but don't post the same question in multiple threads.

sorry...

was coming back to edit that i got it changed after stopping the array.. thanks for the lead in the other.

You don't need to stop the array.  Just unmount the device.  Click 'Help' for an explanation.  You can hover your mouse over the device name for a tool tip.

Access to 4TB NTFS drive ?

I would like to know if is possible to access a 4TB NTFS formated drive I have attached using unassigned devices under my windows 10 VM?

I have been able to access it and copy files using midnight commander, but I' would like to compare two folders with rsync without luck, I get a "sending incremental file list" but nothing more. Stopped after 1,5h.

Perhaps I can't rsync to NTFS?

unassigned_zpsdgrdxyun.jpg

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Gus

Access to 4TB NTFS drive ?

I would like to know if is possible to access a 4TB NTFS formated drive I have attached using unassigned devices under my windows 10 VM?

I have been able to access it and copy files using midnight commander, but I' would like to compare two folders with rsync without luck, I get a "sending incremental file list" but nothing more. Stopped after 1,5h.

Perhaps I can't rsync to NTFS?

unassigned_zpsdgrdxyun.jpg

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Gus

I rsync to NTFS all the time, though not with VM.

@trurl

Do you rsync to a NTFS volume mounted with unassigned devices?

Thankyou

Gus

I frequently do this.

If you want to use tools from within the VM, then you can tell UD to make the disk visible as a network share that the VM will then be able to access.

@trurl

Thankyou

Gus

Yes, with Unassigned Devices. I make monthly backups to external NTFS drives for offsite storage. It's all scripted using the scripting feature. All I have to do is plugin the drive, then when the script emails that it's finished, I unmount and unplug the drive and take it with me.

@trurl

Thankyou

Gus

I frequently do this.

If you want to use tools from within the VM, then you can tell UD to make the disk visible as a network share that the VM will then be able to access.

Oh yes @itimpi that's what I want but I thought that simply checking "auto mount" and "share" was enough but I see that this isn't the correct way.

Can you tell me how to do it?

Thankyou

Gus

@trurl

Thankyou

Gus

Yes, with Unassigned Devices. I make monthly backups to external NTFS drives for offsite storage. It's all scripted using the scripting feature. All I have to do is plugin the drive, then when the script emails that it's finished, I unmount and unplug the drive and take it with me.

@trurl Can you tell me exactly how do you do that? over ssh? under win/mac/linux

Thankyou

Gus

@trurl

Thankyou

Gus

I frequently do this.

Oh yes @itimpi that's what I want but I thought that simply checking "auto mount" and "share" was enough but I see that this isn't the correct way.

That is all I do in UD, but it does not magically appear in the VM.    You then have to go that network share from within the VM to access it just like you would from a real PC.  Since this is done via the virtual NIC performance should be excellent.

@trurl

Thankyou

Gus

I frequently do this.

That is all I do in UD, but it does not magically appear in the VM.    You then have to go that network share from within the VM to access it just like you would from a real PC.  Since this is done via the virtual NIC performance should be excellent.

Then something is not working as expected because I got the other 2 USB external 500GB drives I have, but I don't see the sata 4TB drive attached to UD under my VM.

If you see the attached image the 4TB disk is not showing it's capacity.

????

Thankyou

Gus

SOLVED !!!

When you format the 4 TB disk, windows creates 2 partitions.

1 partition is 134MB and the other is 4 TB.

UD showed only the first partition, I saw a little "+" on the disk icon and opened the 2 partitions.

The second partition (4TB) was not shared.

UD_zpshbofe1gy.jpg

Thankyou

Gus

I have a question,

Where the Remote SMB/NFS section is, when I try to mount the remote share from an Windows server, the screen refreshes while the button still says 'Mount' so basically it didn't mount. Has anyone gotten their Remote SMB location to mount?

Works perfectly for me.  What happens if you reload the page?

I have a question,

Where the Remote SMB/NFS section is, when I try to mount the remote share from an Windows server, the screen refreshes while the button still says 'Mount' so basically it didn't mount. Has anyone gotten their Remote SMB location to mount?

Look at the UD log.  There will be a log entry on why is isn't mounting.  Probably a permission (credentials?) issue.

I have a question,

Look at the UD log.  There will be a log entry on why is isn't mounting.  Probably a permission (credentials?) issue.

I clicked on the Log button on the right but nothing appears in the Unassigned Devices Log. I'm able to get into the share from my Windows PC, and the plugin did find the share after I put in my user and pass for that share (located on the Windows PC) but still doesn't mount.

Shares.jpg.df77fc70bcebd29b0684bef5837ec61e.jpg

I have a question,

I clicked on the Log button on the right but nothing appears in the Unassigned Devices Log. I'm able to get into the share from my Windows PC, and the plugin did find the share after I put in my user and pass for that share (located on the Windows PC) but still doesn't mount.

Did you let UD find the server and share, or did you manually enter it?

I have a question,

Did you let UD find the server and share, or did you manually enter it?

When I click on 'Add Remote SMB Share', I choose SMB for IP protocol, and under IP/Host, the button below has 'Search for servers in WORKGROUP'. Thing though is that my Windows 2012 R2 server is a DC so it won't fall under the WORKGROUP category. I typed the server name in manually and after putting in the User and Pass I click the 'Load Shares' button and the share I was looking for comes up, which I then select and click 'Add'. But why it doesn't mount is still a mystery i'm trying to figure out.

EDIT: Okay looks like I might have figured it out. Instead of putting in the server name I put in the IP address of the DC and put in my credentials....after adding the share it finally mounted. My DC is also running DHCP and DNS so I put in the IP pointing to the DNS server.

Kinda weird, but the whole point was to see if the Emby Docker could see the mounted remote share when it comes to adding media to the library. Mostly experimental as I can transfer the files over to the unRAID server, but wanted to see how it would turn out.

Hey folks,

I have a share from my Cable Box listed for mounting in Unassigned Devices but I want to remove it. The Cross icon  for removing is red and unresponsive. Any ideas?

Nov 07 17:51:23 Removing Remote SMB share '//192.168.0.114/Root'...
Nov 07 17:51:23 Device '//192.168.0.114/Root' script file not found. 'REMOVE' script not executed.
Nov 07 17:51:23 Unmounting Remote SMB Share '//192.168.0.114/Root'...
Nov 07 17:51:23 Unmounting '//192.168.0.114/Root'...
Nov 07 17:51:23 Successfully unmounted '//192.168.0.114/Root'
Nov 07 17:51:23 Removing SMB share file '/etc/samba/unassigned-shares/192.168.0.114_Root.conf'
Nov 07 17:51:23 Removing SMB share definitions from '/boot/config/smb-extra.conf'
Nov 07 17:51:23 Reloading Samba configuration..
Nov 07 17:51:24 Successfully removed SMB share '192.168.0.114_Root'.
Nov 07 17:51:24 Share '//192.168.0.114/Root' unmount successfull.
Nov 07 17:51:31 Removing configuration '//192.168.0.114/Root'.
Nov 07 17:56:48 Remote SMB share '//192.168.0.114/\Root\media\usb' is not mounted and cannot be unmounted...
Nov 07 17:57:45 Remote SMB mount '//192.168.0.114/\Root\media\usb' is not set to auto mount and will not be mounted...

• trurl pinned this topic