Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

7 hours ago, syq7970 said:

Hi,

I have a ISCSI LUN connected with PC by ISCSI plugin. it's working fine.

and now I tried connect on same ISCSI LUN with UNRAID server by iSCSI Initiator plugin at the same time, 

connect success and I can see unassigned drive in main tab.

there are two questions:

1. when I mount this drive, it's always ReadOnly, I have to run ntfsfix and remount it, so the RO will gone.

2. when I update file on PC, the mounted drive will not update any data. always need remount so it can show latest data.

please help. thank you.

Post diagnostics.

9 hours ago, Kilrah said:

I don't know your setup, but if the drives are external and they're unplugged/usb connection resets without the unmount button having been clicked first for example. 

Ah, I see. They're all internal drives. Just HDDs. I was away for the weekend and came back and they were Read-Only.

[7.0.0-beta.2] Plex can't see Unassigned Remote Shares mounted R/W-Slave

This isn't in the form of a bug report, as it's more of an inquiry as I have no idea whether it's supposed to work this way or not...

I've mounted shares from my Unraid NAS* (system 1) via SMB on a new Unraid apps server (system 2) with UD

image.png.1591cfb174306d364cfed5645be8c60e.png

And then put them into the Plex docker config replacing the original local paths.

image.png.ce541816d356996d57fe95694df9c572.png

Everything worked as expected - yay!

However, FIx Common Problems reported that those remote shares should have the SLAVE option selected.

image.thumb.png.b42f6c7295474e1fdc09e43dc63c30b9.png

I edited them to use the Slave R/W as instructed, but then the shares no longer work, and Plex can't see them.
Going into Plex to "add path" for example I can't even see a "movies" path in the root displayed.

Setting back to R/W without Slave and everything works again, and I can also see "movies" and other expected paths in Plex if I go to a file browser like "add path" to library.

Does anyone have any insight on this? I've never tried remote shares this way back on 6.12 or earlier, so I have nothing to compare against.

*My systems are named after characters in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - not car brands. :)

Edited by Espressomatic
6 hours ago, Espressomatic said:

Setting back to R/W without Slave and everything works again, and I can also see "movies" and other expected paths in Plex if I go to a file browser like "add path" to library.

If that works, just leave it that way and silence the FCP warning.

• Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, dlandon said:

If that works, just leave it that way and silence the FCP warning.

Will do, I'm not one to look a gift horse in the mouth - just more curious if something was going to come along to bite me in the ass when I least expected it.

It's already been the opposite of fun around here because I took it on myself to rebuild all the hardware on my main server, split off all VM and apps to a second brand new system, all while building 3 more mini systems on non-name mainboards for OPNSense, Home Assistant on Proxmox and a backup NAS which will be the 3rd Unraid box. Thankfully everything Unraid has generally gone smoothly. There's already been multiple hardware swaps, soldering to make custom connectors, fan swaps and later this weekend I'll be doing an SPI flash to the HA system to recover it from a bricked BIOS. Ufgh.

Edited by Espressomatic

Hi, I'm having to run one of my servers temporarily on 6.9.2 while I create backups and take notes on the setup prior to updating it to 6.12.X but for some reason I can't get Unassigned Devices to reinstall. I don't see it in the Community Apps and when I try to install it directly from https://github.com/dlandon/unassigned.devices/blob/master/unassigned.devices.plg it doesn't work.

Would it be possible to share some 6.9.2 compatible links for UD, UD+ and UD Preclear please?

Thanks in advance

Hello dev, might be a dumb question, but is there a way to share the whole /mnt/disks directory via SMB?
The reason I'm asking is because if you have a large number of drives attached as unassigned devices you need to enable sharing on each one of them separately which is tedious and not very convinient. Also mounting large number of SMB shares on another machine is a nightmare. So is it possible to share via SMB the /mnt/disks location? Thanks!

10 hours ago, audiocycle said:

Hi, I'm having to run one of my servers temporarily on 6.9.2 while I create backups and take notes on the setup prior to updating it to 6.12.X but for some reason I can't get Unassigned Devices to reinstall. I don't see it in the Community Apps and when I try to install it directly from https://github.com/dlandon/unassigned.devices/blob/master/unassigned.devices.plg it doesn't work.

Would it be possible to share some 6.9.2 compatible links for UD, UD+ and UD Preclear please?

Thanks in advance

UD is only compatible as far back as 6.11.  There isn't a version available for anything older than that.

1 hour ago, ToTo said:

Hello dev, might be a dumb question, but is there a way to share the whole /mnt/disks directory via SMB?
The reason I'm asking is because if you have a large number of drives attached as unassigned devices you need to enable sharing on each one of them separately which is tedious and not very convinient. Also mounting large number of SMB shares on another machine is a nightmare. So is it possible to share via SMB the /mnt/disks location? Thanks!

There isn't currently a way to combine all UD devices into one SMB share.

On 7/24/2024 at 7:33 AM, dlandon said:

UD is only compatible as far back as 6.11.  There isn't a version available for anything older than that.

So when I updated to 6.12.10 and all my plugins updated as well that was irreversible?

I've been having a problem saving scripts using the unassigned devices interface. With a newly formatted drive, attempting to create a new script by clicking "Default" then "save", is the same as if I "clear"ed the script, and nothing will save (verified via sftp).

If I make changes to a previously working script, and click "apply" changes are lost and the unchanged script is shown.

I've tried with both mounted and unmounted drives.

I've verified the permissions of both the scripts and the save to location (on flash) ("/boot/config/plugins/unassigned.devices"), both look good (scripts = root/root rw 0600     folder = root/root rwx 0700) (flash drive is listed as vfat fs)

If I manually duplicate a working script to the new drive serial.sh via SFTP, the scrip will show up for the drive, and allow me to automatically run it on mount, but it again will not allow changes to the script.

I've tried with both chrome and firefox (neither private sessions), no script blockers.

Anyone know what's going wrong? Is there something new making the flash read only in unraid? Is the vfat filesystem an issue?

3 hours ago, B_ISC said:

I've been having a problem saving scripts using the unassigned devices interface. With a newly formatted drive, attempting to create a new script by clicking "Default" then "save", is the same as if I "clear"ed the script, and nothing will save (verified via sftp).

If I make changes to a previously working script, and click "apply" changes are lost and the unchanged script is shown.

I've tried with both mounted and unmounted drives.

I've verified the permissions of both the scripts and the save to location (on flash) ("/boot/config/plugins/unassigned.devices"), both look good (scripts = root/root rw 0600     folder = root/root rwx 0700) (flash drive is listed as vfat fs)

If I manually duplicate a working script to the new drive serial.sh via SFTP, the scrip will show up for the drive, and allow me to automatically run it on mount, but it again will not allow changes to the script.

I've tried with both chrome and firefox (neither private sessions), no script blockers.

Anyone know what's going wrong? Is there something new making the flash read only in unraid? Is the vfat filesystem an issue?

Post diagnostics.

11 hours ago, dlandon said:

Correct.

EDIT: You could restore from your backup.

Yeah I tried, I reinstalled Appdata backup v2.5 which I assume backs up plugins at the same time? I ran the backup and a few plugins generated errors and didn't install, including all three UD.

37 minutes ago, audiocycle said:

Yeah I tried, I reinstalled Appdata backup v2.5 which I assume backs up plugins at the same time? I ran the backup and a few plugins generated errors and didn't install, including all three UD.

Probably because the .tgz files are not available.  You need to copy the .tgz files from your backup to config/plugins/unassigned.devices, config/plugins.unassigned.devices.plus, and config/unassigned.devices.preclear.

Hey,

i get this popup when i try to mount an external 8tb wd elements drive

err.png.0d4400b2e43ccf15d86f7f47895578d4.png

never got this in the past and in the syslog it also does not show any issues, the drive mounts normal as well

as far as i can tell. Reboot does not help.

Any idea what might be the cause of this?

Edited by actonice
25 minutes ago, actonice said:

Hey,

i get this popup when i try to mount an external 8tb wd elements drive

err.png.0d4400b2e43ccf15d86f7f47895578d4.png

never got this in the past and in the syslog it also does not show any issues, the drive mounts normal as well

as far as i can tell. Reboot does not help.

Any idea what might be the cause of this?

Go to Tools->PHP Settings and set the 'Error Reporting Level' to 'All Categories'.  Then mount the disk and post any php warnings/errors that show in the PHP log.  You are probably getting a php warning/error that will cause the failure dialog.

20 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Go to Tools->PHP Settings and set the 'Error Reporting Level' to 'All Categories'.  Then mount the disk and post any php warnings/errors that show in the PHP log.  You are probably getting a php warning/error that will cause the failure dialog.

Thanks for the reply

I should have mentioned this server is still on version 6.11.5, the PHP option seems to not exist in this version yet?

5 minutes ago, actonice said:

Thanks for the reply

I should have mentioned this server is still on version 6.11.5, the PHP option seems to not exist in this version yet?

I recommend you update Unraid.

9 minutes ago, dlandon said:

I recommend you update Unraid.

I tried a few 6.12 versions but the webui kept crashing like others reported, but yes i should try out version 6.12.9 and later and see if it improved since a few people with similar issues and hardware report it is fixed or at least more stable.

I guess then there is nothing i can do about this popup on version 6.11.5?

Edited by actonice
3 minutes ago, actonice said:

I tried a few 6.12 versions but the webui kept crashing like others reported, but yes i should try out version 6.12.9 and later and see if it improved since a few people with similar issues and hardware report it is fixed or at least more stable.

I guess then there is nothing i can do about this popup on version 6.11.5?

Are you on the latest version of UD?  I have fixed some php warnings causing that issue.

If I can get a report on the php warning, I can issue a new release of UD to fix that.  Maybe you can update. set up PHP Settings, create the warning and post it so I can fix it?